• Published 27th Dec 2018
  • 1,523 Views, 14 Comments

Our Garden Of Love - HAKDurbin



Spike and Rarity both live in catch a lot and secretly meet up at the private section of the Royal Gardens. But something has happened the mare that Spike loves. Will he be able to find out what it is and help her?

  • ...
8
 14
 1,523

Chapter 5

A few days have passed since Spike proudly announced to Rarity that he wants to write a book about dragons. He has become devoted to writing constantly that he writes even when he’s at the gazebo with Rarity when it rains. He still finds time to have conversations with his crush at certain points during the day such as when they are having lunch together, but it has become clear for Rarity that the dragon has most of his attention on writing his book. She mostly doesn’t mind as she is happy to see her friend so cheerful, but she feels down whenever Spike is not looking at her. She’s careful not to let her friend notice as she doesn’t want to bother him when he’s so happy at work, but she worries that it will be a matter of time before she has to tell him what is wrong like she promised.

Rarity is walking back to Canterlot Carousel after another day with Spike at the royal garden. She holds her umbrella close to her with her magic as it is still raining, but she is also using it to hide under the canopy. As she enters her beloved boutique, she finds it barely lit as it is past closing time. She smiles at the sight of it so deserted before she walks over to her living room upstairs and plummets onto her favorite couch. She lets out a groggy sigh as if her time outside drained the life out of her despite doing nothing but eating and talking with Spike.

Eventually, Sassy Saddles knocks on the open door, letting her boss know that she’s here and gives Rarity a small smile.

“Good evening, Rarity,” she says softly.

“Oh, good evening, Sassy,” Rarity says with her couch covering her face before she robotically lifts up her head to give her friend and employee a weak smile. “How was business today?”

“Steady but profitable,” Sassy Saddles reports. “I sold a few dozens of the Drizzling Glam dresses.”

“Good, very good,” Rarity says as she rotates to lie down on her back. “I knew I can count on you to sell a lot of them.”

Sassy Saddles frowns a little at Rarity’s compliment.

“Credit goes to you for making the dresses as always, Rarity,” she says. “I may run the shop to sell the dresses, but they're your own design.”

Rarity turns her head to look at Sassy Saddles with a small frown.

“You know it's not your job to try to cheer me up, darling,” she says dully.

“Never claimed it had to be,” Sassy Saddles says firmly. “You should know by now that I worry about your well-being whether you're my boss or not.”

Rarity’s frown turns into another lifeless smile to show her appreciation to her store manager despite her lack of energy to properly show it.

“Anything else happened today?” she asks.

Sassy Saddles frowns disapprovingly knowing that Rarity is changing the subject.

“Not really,” she says. “But you do have your meeting with Fluttershy tonight.”

Rarity’s eyes widen and she gasps in shock while springing up into a sitting position.

“Oh my goodness, Fluttershy!” she squeals. “I completely forgot that she’s coming here!”

“Not to worry, dear, her train won't come for another two hours,” Sassy Saddles says calmly. “That should give you more than enough time to prepare dinner, right? Although if you need help, I'm more than happy to assist you.”

“No. No thank you,” Rarity says politely. “I promised in my last letter that I would prepare her a dinner worthy of her brief visit to Canterlot and that's what I'm going to do.”

Sassy Saddles looks at Rarity skeptically before she gives the white mare a kind smile.

“Very well. If that is what you wish,” she says before she turns to leave. “In that case, I better take my leave. See you in the morning, Rarity, and give Fluttershy my best wishes.”

“Thank you, Sassy, I'll be sure to do that,” Rarity calls out as Sassy Saddles leaves. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Sassy Saddles calls back as she exits the boutique.

Rarity stays still after Sassy Saddles leaves for a moment before she lets out a long sight and reluctantly gets up to prepare for Fluttershy’s arrival. She goes to the kitchen an prepares a salad dinner containing cucumbers, lettuce, onions, sliced apples and crystal corn from the Crystal Empire. By the time she finishes making her dish and setting up the dining table, she hears a soft knock on the front door which made her smile knowing that there is only one pony and all of Equestria who would knock so gently.

Rarity walks all the way to the front of the store and opens the door with her magic to find a familiar yellow pegasus with a pink mane and tail looking at her with a small, sad smile. Rarity feels small tears in her eyes as she smiles back and pulls the other mare in for a tight, friendly hug.

“Oh Fluttershy, it's so wonderful to see you,” Rarity manages to squeak out.

“It's good to see you too, Rarity,” Fluttershy says giving her best friend a gentle hug.

The two of them hold their embrace for several seconds before they part and Rarity welcomes Fluttershy in. For the next 45 minutes, they silently eat their meal and talk about various things going on in their lives. After they finish their meal, Rarity puts the dirty dishes in the sink and two of them decide to move their conversation to the living room couch.

“The crazy thing about eating those sandwiches was I could actually taste them. They had flavor to them,” Rarity says.

“It sounds like you're doing a lot better than you were in your last letter,” Fluttershy says optimistically.

“Oh, I wouldn't go that far, dear,” Rarity titters. “But I must admit it was lovely to taste something other than cider and chocolate. It's a miracle that I remembered how to make anything close to our salad just now. My tongue just feels as numb as the rest of me. I'm practically trapped in my own body.”

Fluttershy looks at her friend sadly and places her hoof on top of Rarity’s supportively.

“For what it's worth, I think you're making the right decision for yourself,” she says.

Rarity gives Fluttershy a broken-hearted look.

“But this was my dream,” she said.

“I know,” Fluttershy says sadly. “I wish you didn't have to give it up, but it seems clear to me that apart from that old mare who gives you lunch at the royal garden or Sassy Saddles, there’s nopony to truly help you here. I honestly would feel better if you go through with this and I know that if Twilight and the other knew what is going on, they would say the same.”

Rarity secretly gives a half-smile at the mention of the “old mare” who gives her lunches who is really Spike. But her frown instantly returns as she thinks about everything else that Fluttershy said.

“You're right, darling,” she admits. “For the most part, I feel lost without all of you here to be there for me. Sure the princesses could have helped too, but I don't want to bother them just because I'm an element of harmony. Still, it’s frustrating how I thought I had had everything figured out and then it all blew up in my face.”

“I know,” Fluttershy says sadly before giving Rarity a supportive smile. “But maybe all you need is time to recharge your batteries. We could start going to the spa like we used to.”

Rarity gives Fluttershy a frail smile.

“That does sound like a splendid idea,” she says. “Doesn't change the fact that I might never find somepony who comes close to a perfect boyfriend like him.”

Fluttershy frowns defeated. The two of them remain silent for a few seconds before Fluttershy starts giggling quietly.

“What's so amusing?” Rarity asks.

“Oh, sorry,” Fluttershy says. “I guess bringing up you and him sort of reminds me of Spike.”

Rarity rules her head in confusion and asks, “Oh? How so?”

Fluttershy hesitates for a moment before she answers.

“Remember how he had a huge crush on you back when we were all living in Ponyville?” she asks. “He used to help you at Carousel Boutique whenever he had free time from helping Twilight. Do you remember?”

Rarity frowns and looks away.

“Yes, I do,” she says. “He was rather head over heels over me, wasn't he?”

“He sure was,” Fluttershy says before chuckling with her mouth closed. “I remember Twilight telling me how he decided to give you his fire ruby that was meant as his birthday gift for himself. You were so happy that you kissed him on the cheek and he didn't want to wash his cheek again.”

Rarity winces at the mention of that Spike’s first birthday in Ponyville. Fluttershy, however, doesn't notice as she’s staring at the floor, reminiscing the old days.

“Come to think of it, do you still have the ruby?” Fluttershy asks.

“Yes, I do,” Rarity answers without looking at her friend. “I think it's in a chest somewhere in my bedroom.”

“I wonder if he still has feelings for you even now while he’s in the Dragonlands,” Fluttershy says.

“Yes, indeed,” Rarity says robotically.

Fluttershy notices her friend’s tone and looks at her concerned.

“Are you okay?” she asks.

Rarity snaps out of her train of thought and chuckles nervously.

“So sorry, darling. I guess I was...uh...thinking about how much I miss Spike,” she lies.

Fluttershy keeps her worried look before she smiles, believing Rarity’s fib.

“I do too,” she says before she giggles cutely. “Better make sure he doesn't know you feel that way, though. He might get his hopes up.”

Rarity pretends to chuckle with Fluttershy while deep down her heart feels heavy.

“Still though, he’s a very sweet dragon, wouldn't you say?” she asks.

“Well, of course, I would,” Fluttershy says with a smile. “Sure he has his prideful faults, but Spike was always a kind and helpful dragon. No pony could deny that.”

Rarity gives her best friend a soft but sincere smile before turning her head to look out the window where Canterlot Castle can be seen.

“Yes, he is very kind,” she says softly.

Once again, the room is quiet until Fluttershy sees Rarity's grandfather clock and squeaks out a surprised yelp.

“Oh my goodness, is that the time? I should be getting back to Ponyville,” she says worriedly.

“Gracious, you're right,” Rarity says that she sees her clock too. “Let me quickly get dressed and I will walk you to the station.”

Rarity quickly runs upstairs and after a few minutes comes back down with a large trench coat, sunglasses, and a big hat that covers most of her face.

“Um, not that I’m one to judge your clothing choices, Rarity, but don’t you think that’s a bit much?” Fluttershy asks nervously.

“One can never be too careful when your public life can be the center of attention, dear Fluttershy,” Rarity says seriously. “Surely you can understand that after your modeling career.”

Fluttershy lets out a nervous squeak at the mention of her brief modeling career and nods in agreement. The two mares exit Canterlot Carousel and make their way to the Canterlot train station where the Friendship Express is being boarded. Fluttershy and Rarity turn to each other and hug again.

“Thank you for coming to see me, Fluttershy,” Rarity whispers. “And thanks for agreeing to help me with this.”

“What are best friends for?” Fluttershy asks with a kind smile. “So next month is when you have to file the final paperwork, right?”

“Correct,” Rarity says.

“Okay, then I will see you then, backing you up all the way,” Fluttershy says.

“I wouldn't want it any other way,” Rarity says before she pulls her best friend into another hug.

“All aboard!” the train conductor announces.

Rarity’s heart sinks at those two words. Fluttershy reluctantly breaks the hug and gives Rarity another sad look before she enters the train. Rarity watches Fluttershy wave to her from one of the windows as the train slowly begins its long trip back to Ponyville. Once the train is completely gone, Rarity stands still for a minute before she glumly turns around and makes her way home.

The sky is clear and the moon shines brightly as Rarity walks through the Canterlot streets alone. Her mind ponders on the things she has planned with Fluttershy and what will happen after that.

But then her mind turns to Spike and a small smile emerges on her face. She looks back on all the time she has spent with the young adult dragon and how much he has grown since the day she first met him many years ago. Her smile grows slightly as she thinks about how her time with him in the royal garden has been wonderful for her and how even after his time in the Dragonlands, Spike is as sweet and caring as ever.

Sweet and caring.

Rarity’s heart sinks again at those words. She begins to remember all the times in Ponyville when she used Spike’s attentive heart for her own selfish desires. Taking out her trash, be her own personal pin cushion, fan her while she would relax at the spa, carry her luggage…

Give her his fire ruby.

Rarity stops walking as she thinks about the week before Spike’s first birthday in Ponyville. All of her friends thought their dragon friend was doing something generous out of his own free will.

“No,” Rarity mutters to herself. “It wasn't by his free will, was it? I still remember it like it was yesterday.”

*************************************************************************************


“Hello? Anypony home? Twilight?” Rarity asked in a singing voice.

It was years ago and Rarity was visiting Twilight and Spike at the Golden Oak Library. She opened the door with her magic with a smile on her face only to gasp in shock as she saw Spike standing in the middle of the library wiping a fire ruby with a rag while licking his lips. With the original intention of her visit in the back of her mind, Rarity runs over to her little dragon friend with her eyes fixed on the jewel.

“Is that a fire ruby?” she asked while examining the ruby excitedly. “Oh, that must be at least twenty carats. No inclusions, pristine facets.”

“And totally delicious,” Spike said happily.

Rarity kept her eyes on the fire ruby, having not heard what Spike just said until she heard Twilight’s voice.

“Uh, you guys don’t mind?” she asked in an impatient tone.

Rarity snapped out of her hypnotized state and turned to her friend.

“Oh, uh, of course,” she said with a slightly nervous smile. “I-i just came by to see if you had any books on historical fashion.”

As soon as she finished her sentence, however, her mind snapped back to the ruby and Spike’s comment was fully processed. She quickly turned to the dragon who was holding the jewel with a hungry look in his eyes.

“Did you say ‘delicious?’” she asked nervously.

“Sure did,” Spike said gleefully. “Next week is my birthday, and this is my birthday dinner.”

Rarity had a devastated look on her face as Spike walked away and she reached out with her hoof in a futile attempt to take the jewel out of a desire to protect it from her friend’s mouth. Her thoughts are interrupted, however, when a book flew right in front of her face.

“Start with this one,” Twilight said as she walked past her friend without looking at her.

Rarity remembered what she came for again and took the book with her magic.

“Thanks, Twilight,” she said while flipping through the pages with her magic. “I’ve got a feeling ruffled taffeta capes are going to make a huge comeback this season, and I want to be ahead of the game.”

Twilight didn’t make any response as she was clearly focused on reorganizing her books. Rarity kept her eye on her own book until her eyes glanced on Spike holding the fire ruby again. She bit her hoof as it pained her to see Spike look at the jewel with the intent to devour it without a single thought. She wanted it for herself knowing that it isn’t hers to take. Rubies like this one are close to never found, much less one so large and flawlessly shaped like a heart. But she didn’t want to appear cruel or selfish taking something that is meant for a preteen dragon's birthday meal.

Then she got an idea. In her heart, she knew that it was a selfish idea, but her desire for just a precious jewel was overcoming her mind and she couldn’t resist the urge no matter how clear it is that she should. She walked over to Spike and gives him a sweet smile as he places the fire ruby inside a chest.

“I hope it’s as tasty as it is beautiful, Spike,” she said batting her eyelashes to grab the dragon’s attention. “I’ve never seen anything so stunning before.”

Spike looked at her taken aback. He picked up the fire ruby and stared at it as he started to understand what Rarity was getting at.

“Gosh,” he said nervously. “You really like it huh?”

“Like it?” Rarity asked before flipping her mane and giving him a beauteous look. “It’s magnificent.”

She bats her eyelashes again for good measure as Spike took in everything she just said. He sighed with a smile, hypnotized by her beauty before he looked down at the fire ruby sadly, knowing that he can’t resist what the mare he is crushing on wants.

“Then you should have it,” he said as he placed the jewel on Rarity’s hoof. “This beautiful gem was meant to be with you.”

Rarity lifted up the jewel with her eyes widened. Her surprise turned into a smile as she lifted up the jewel with her magic.

“I don’t know what to say,” she lied before walking around in circles while Spike struggled to keep a brave face. “This is so thoughtful. Oh, my little Spikey-Wikey.”

Without even thinking of it, Rarity turned to give Spike a kiss on his cheek. The little dragon froze in place in shock before he fell to the ground. Rarity giggled in her mind at his reaction before she started bouncing out of the library.

“Thank you, so much!” she said gleefully as she exited the building.

“Wow, Spike. That’s one of the kindest, most generous things you’ve ever done,” Rarity heard Twilight say at a distance as she giggled her way back to Carousel Boutique like an excited school filly. “I’ve never seen Rarity so happy.”

****************************************************************************************

“Kindest, most generous thing he’s ever done,” Rarity says to herself in a guilty tone. “Oh, if only Twilight knew I was practically using his feelings to steal that...that...thing from him. Maybe she could have taught me some friendship lesson about not manipulating friends or something.”

Rarity sighs defeated as she starts walking again robotically. Shame covers her face as she replays all the ways she used Spike’s crush for her own means in her mind.

“I was always like that, wasn’t I?” she says to herself. “Even before he left for the Dragonlands he would always come to visit and practically every moment he was in my presence was spent helping me with chores or work on my dresses or some special aid in collecting gems without a word of a complaint. All I ever really gave him in return was that kiss and maybe just one gem out of all the dozens we collect each time and that’s it. Years of devotion and I may as well have given him crumbs.”

Her face falls even more as it hits her even further.

“And after years in the Dragonlands, here he is again, bringing me food, making me laugh and offering an ear to listen to my problem and I didn’t even ask nor has he asked for anything in return,” she huffs. “I was the Element of Generosity and yet that...that...precious drake keeps on being more generous than I ever was.”

She lifts her head high with a determination in her eyes and her walk becomes more firm.

“Then I need to turn this thing around,” she said. “I’ve been taking for so long that it’s time to give once and for all. And I’m not taking no for an answer. Now, I just need to figure out how I’m going to do that the next time I see him. I do have a lot of spare gems that I won’t need any time soon. But perhaps…”

Suddenly, her eyes turn to the window of a shop and she gasps excitedly.

“Of all the implausible luck,” she says excitedly.

***********************************************************************************

The next day, Spike sits inside the gazebo waiting for Rarity as it is another rainy day in Canterlot. He continues to write on his book as he waits for her, but he becomes uneasy as he notices that it has been a half an hour and she hasn't arrived yet. The dragon starts to grow worried until he hears the faint sound of Rarity humming a sweet tune as she walks over to the gazebo with an umbrella and her knapsack looking bigger than usual.

“Well, good morning,” he greets with a warm smile. “I was beginning to think you weren't going to come today.”

“Good morning, Spike,” Rarity says cheerfully. “Sorry to keep you waiting. I just had a quick errand to run before meeting you.”

“Oh? Grabbing some dressmaking materials?” he asks eyeing how stuffed her sack looks.

“Not exactly,” Rarity answers. “But first, I brought breakfast.”

Spike sees Rarity open one of her bags and chuckles nervously.

“I don't know if I'm in the mood for cider and chocolate,” he titters.

“Spike, you should know better than to jump into assumptions like that,” Rarity says with a playful pout.

“Uh...you’re right, Rarity, that was wrong of me,” Spike says rubbing the back of his head. “So...what did you bring?”

Rarity smirks as she runs through the bag with her magic and takes out a large green gem. Spike stares at it with his eyes widened and his mouth watering as the jewel floats into his hand. He turns to Rarity who merely nods with a happy smile before he slowly takes a bite. He chews for a couple of seconds before his eyes light up and he puts the rest of the gem in his mouth, eating happily. Rarity giggles, pleased with his reaction before she lifts her bag to reveal that it is filled with large jewels of various shapes and colors.

“Eat up, Spikey-Poo,” she says in a singing voice. “There’s more where that came from.”

Spike stares at the bag intently like a dog waiting for his owner to drop the doggie treat into his mouth. Rarity places the bag on his lap and he holds on to his stare for a couple more seconds before he begins devouring the gems in an animalistic manner. It takes a moment before he realizes how he’s acting in front of Rarity and swallows the gems that are in his mouth and chuckles nervously.

“Excuse me,” he says.

“Oh, please think nothing of it,” Rarity chuckles. “You always had quite the appetite for gems that I would expect nothing less from your demeanor, Spike. I don't mind.”

Spike smiles and starts chewing on an emerald slowly while Rarity opens her other bag and takes out a bottle of coffee and a homemade egg sandwich. The two of them eat quietly for twenty minutes before Spike stops halfway through the bag and pats his belly.

“Oh, boy, I haven't eaten that much gems at once since my last birthday in the Dragonlands,” he groans making Rarity giggle quietly. “Why did you bring so many, though?”

Rarity smiles sincerely and says, “Well, I've always ended up eating the food you bring, so it's past time that I repay you for that and for…”

Rarity hesitates to continue and Spike tilts his head in confusion. She bites her lip and mentally decides to cave.

“Uh, never mind,” she said with a wave of her hand before she remembers something. “Oh, I almost forgot. My errand.”

Rarity reopens her other bag with her magic and a book levitates out of the bag.

“I found this when all the stores were closed last night and decided to get it for you on the way here,” she explains as the book lands on Spike’s lap.

Spike examines the book closely and discovers that its title is How To Write Informational Books. His eyes widen and he gasps in excitement before turning to Rarity with an excited smile.

“Wow, this is exactly what I need!” He says excitedly. “Thank you so much!”

“My pleasure, Spikey,” Rarity says smiling with her eyes closed.

Spike puts down the bag of gems on the floor and beings flipping through the books. He reads a random section quietly before he turns to Rarity excitedly.

“Wow, just this one page alone is telling me so much,” he says. “I'm gonna start reading right away. Maybe I'll get started on my second draft as soon as I'm done.”

Rarity’s smile fades and she looks at Spike confused.

“You mean you've already finished your first draft?” she asks.

“Well...no,” Spike admits. “But I have written most of my primary pieces, so I can at least start there.”

Rarity gives the drake another small smile as he starts reading the book from the beginning. The sight of him looking so ecstatic again because of her present warms her heart. She knows that neither this nor the gems are enough to atone for everything she did to him, but in her heart, this feels like a good place to start. As Spike read intently, she secretly begins to think of new ways to repay him.

Perhaps I could bring more paper for writing since he might need it at the rate that he’s working on his project,” she thinks. “Maybe bring more gems? That was a lot of them that was meant for dresses that I just gave, but he certainly deserves all of them and more.

The more she thought about it, be more troubled she becomes. She begins to fear that maybe nothing she ever does will make up for how she used him constantly. Her face slowly falls the more she thinks about it.

After a few hours, Spike finishes reading and puts away the book and his writing before getting up to leave. Rarity feels a sad feeling in her heart that she never felt before as Spike turns to look at her, about to say goodbye.

“You're leaving early?” she asks sounding hurt.

“Yeah, the book is so helpful that I want to get started with my next draft right away and I didn't bring enough parchment to do it here,” Spike says before picking up the bag of gems and bringing them over to Rarity.

“Oh, you keep those, Spike. Those gems are yours,” Rarity says.

“Are you sure?” Spike asks surprised. “I mean won't you need some of these for future dresses or something?”

“Oh, I have more than enough gems to keep me prepared for when jewels on dresses go back into style,” Rarity lies. “Besides, they're your thank you gems and I want you to have all of them. No ifs, and or buts.”

Spike stares at Rarity, surprised by her unexpected generosity for a moment before he smiles.

“Well, in that case, thank you, Rarity,” he says.

“Anytime, darling,” Rarity says with a small smile.

Spike smiles back for a moment before he frowns and scratches the back of his head.

“Listen, there was something I've been wanting to talk to you about,” he says.

“What’s that, Spike?” Rarity asks with a curious look.

Spike hesitates for a moment and with a serious face says, “I know you want me to wait until you are ready to tell me what is going on with you and I respect that, but I can't deny that whatever it is, it’s tearing you apart on the inside. I want to help and...well...I just hope that whatever is the problem you won't wait too much longer to tell me what it is.”

On the outside, Rarity keeps her curious face, but on the inside, she feels her heart melting a little at the dragon’s caring voice. Eventually, she gives Spike a small, sweet smile.

“Next time,” she says.

Spike looks at her curiously as she gets off her bench, walks over to him and says, “The next time it rains and we meet here, I'll tell you everything. That's a promise, Spike.”

Spike is taken aback for a moment before he smiles back at the mare he cares deeply for.

“Alright,” he says. “Next time.”

Rarity nods in agreement and Spike gives her a supportive look before he opens his umbrella and leaves. Rarity keeps her smile until he is completely out of sight.
Will he be okay with what the answer is if I tell him, though?” she wonders in her mind.