• ...
4
 42
 812

Cozy at Rothley

Cozy Glow relaxed on the platform at Rothley station on a wonder Thursday afternoon. Seated near her were her parents. Chipper Day, her father, was admiring the architecture of the station, whilst her mother, Happy Song, was doing precisely that; humming a tune to herself.

On the table in front of them sat two mugs and a glass. The two mugs had tea in them, and the glass had some orange juice. All three drinks had been purchased from the station café, which they were now seated outside of, and the cool breeze mingled nicely with the warm spring sun.

Chipper Day picked up his mug, and put it too his lips, taking a sip of his freshly brewed tea. A moment later, said tea flew out of his mouth and across the platform, stopping when it reached the white line marking where passengers had to stand.

“Chipper!” his wife called. “What happened?”

“Be careful dear,” he replied, placing the mug down on the table again. “The tea is seriously strong!”

Cozy looked at him, confused. “Dad, I though you drank tea when we lived in Wales.” Chipper, until recently, had been a soldier in the US Army, and for many years had been based at a base (as there were not many other places he could be based) in North Wales. This had been very handy, as it meant that they were within easy reach of the Welsh narrow gauge preserved lines, but it was less useful when it came to rain. In fact, Cozy had found it difficult acclimatising to the fact it didn’t rain a lot in Canterlot, but her new friends had helped her along. “Besides, why would people even drink a hot drink in hot weather?”

“Because it makes you sweat,” her mother explained, “and therefore cools you down.”

“So, you heat yourself up to cool yourself down.” Cozy just looked in confusion before drinking some more juice. “Seems rather counterproductive.”

“Well, it clearly works, or else people wouldn’t do it.” Chipper smiled, and went on. “After all, the English do it all the time.”

A man looked over at him. “So do the Welsh!” he exclaimed, looking less than pleased.

Cozy smiled. “Gall fod yn ddiogel i ddweud bod y Prydeinig yn ei wneud.” She replied. In case it was not clear, Cozy had learned Welsh as a child, and as a result could speak it fluently.

“Rwy'n credu y gallwn gytuno â'r syniad hwnnw!” the man replied, smiling as well.

Just then a whistle sounded, and a train pulled in from Leicester North. At the head (or should I say rear) was 48624, the line’s resident 8F. It rolled to a stop, and many passengers got off, headed for the station café as they did so.

“That’s probably a call for us to go!” Happy Song called to her family.

“C’mon Cozy!” Chipper called. “We need to catch a train!”

Cozy smiled, and ran to the train, hopping aboard. But she didn’t take a seat. Instead, she dropped the window, and stuck her head out of the window, producing a camera as she did so.



The engine pulled away with a snort and a rumble, rolling down the track smoothly and well. The sound was beautiful, the engine producing white steam and clean exhaust. It was a smooth run back down the line, as the Great Central was very flat, not having the steep gradients that many other preserved lines have.

That day had been fairly calm. They had arrived at 9:45 in the morning, and boarded the 10:00 to Leicester North, pulled by Black 5 45305. They then went all the way to Leicester North, before coming back, as Leicester North was not very interesting and there was no reason to remain there. They had then run back to Rothley and gotten off for a bit, which was when we joined them.

And now they were back at the beginning, and their day on the Great Central had ended. But Cozy had lots of good footage to show her friends, so it hadn’t been too bad a day.

Author's Note:

I strongly reccomend a visit to the GCR.