• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 2,531 Views, 69 Comments

The Magic Smith - Arceaion



There once lived a Pony could forge magic, not magic items but but Magic itself. But what happened to this great mare and what does Twilight have to do with her?

  • ...
5
 69
 2,531

The Magic Smith

"Princess, can you tell me a story?" A little purple filly asked as she looked up at the alicorn.

"Celestia smiled as she lay down and draped a wing around the filly. "And what story do you want?" Celestia asked.

"I Dunno, a story." The Filly said as she thought.

Celestia chucked. "I know a story." She said with a smile. "It's called the Magic Smith." The filly gasped in excitement. Celestias smile turned sad and she began her story. "Once upon a time there lived a pony that could forge magic, not magic items or magic trinkets but actual magic. They lived deep in the mountains of the frozen north where the cold was so great that few came that far out. But one could not simply find the magic Smith with a map, no, for only those who truly needed help could find their way to them..."


A ding went off as a pony slowly entered the shop causing a mare with a dull white coat and pink mane behind the counter to turn and smile. "Greeting sir, how can I help you?" She asked with a smile.

The pony, a unicorn stallion with a light blue coat, shuffled uncertainly. "Um... is this where I can find the Magic Smith?" He asked hesitantly.

"Eup." the mare chirped happily. "How can we help you?" she asked.

The stallion hesitated before sighing. "I need help with my magic, I can no longer cast any spell." The stallion said sadly.

The mare nodded. "I see, can you light your horn for me, If you do I will take a reading and see what the problem is." She said.

The stallion hesitate. "I-I can't." He said sadly.

The mare tilted her head. "You can't?" She asked confused.

The stallion nodded. "I can't even light my horn anymore."

The mare looked at him for a moment before motioning for him to follow her as she entered the back room. The stallion followed slowly confused but he followed the mare deeper into the shop. The back room was simple with many magic tools laying around discarded and several benches with some lab equipment on it. The mare lead him deeper and deeper till he hear the sound of a ringing hammer.

The mare turned a corner and the stallion followed only to stop and gasp at what he saw. With in the room stood a unicorn mare with a lavender coat, purple mane with magenta stripe through it however what caused him to stop was what the mare was working on. Held in her hoof was a massive hammer that glowed with thousands of purple glowing runes that created spiral like patterns, the mare lifted the hammer as if it were a feather and struck it against what appeared to be a star however his senses told him it was magic, pure magic.

"Magic Smith, I have someone for you." The mare said. The Smith jumped in surprise and turned to see the mare and stallion standing their.

"Are you the Magic Smith?" The stallion asked concerned.

"Yes, that's what they call me. It's a pleasure to meet you." The Smith said happily as she set down her hammer and turned to them.

"What is the problem?" She asked.

"This one can't even light their horn." The mare said as the Smith approached her.

"I see..." The Smith trailed off as she lit her horn and something was pulled from the Stallion. The stallion gasped as a glowing orb of magic as pulled from his chest. It was cracked almost in half and smaller cracks spider-webbed out across the two halves. "Oh, dear, this one looks pretty damaged."

"What is that?" The stallion asked confused.

"This is your Magic Core, it where all your magic comes from. Normally they look like a glowing sphere but when they are damaged the crack. Normally the cracks heal over time but sometimes they can get so damaged that there is no way to repair them.

"So you can't repair it?" The stallion asked sadly.

"I didn't say that." The Smith said before looking at it. "However it may take a while."

"Oh, I see." The stallion said sadly.

"Listen, why don't you leave it here for a while?" The smith asked with a sighed.

"You mean you'll help me?" The stallion asked as his eyes widened and hope flashed behind them.

The Smith nodded. "I can't make any promises but I'll do my best."

"Thank you." The stallion said. The Smith nodded and slowly the near shattered orb pulled away from the stallion. As it did the stallion grew weaker and his coat and mane dulled in color. "What's happening?" He asked concerned.

"The Magic Smith took your Magic core to work on it. When a pony has no magic core their coats dull and they grow weaker, you wont' die but it does limit what you can do."

"Oh, I see..." The stallion trained off.

"I wish I could I have you more information but I don't know when it'll be ready so just drop by whenever you feel the need." The Magic Smith said.

"I'm staying in a village not to far from here, I'll come by as often as I can." The stallion said happily. The Smith nodded and took the Magic Core over to her forge, calmly she gripped her hammer and began to work.

"If you wish I will lead you out.' The mare said happily. The stallion nodded and followed the mare back to the front of the shop, he smiled and waved one last time before exiting the shop and disappearing into the snow.

The days passed and each day the Stallion returned to watch as the Magic Smith worked on his Core, days turned to week and soon it had almost been a month. On this day the stallion entered however upon his back was a small box. "Hello, Sorry to bother you again today."

The mare looked up and smiled at the stallion. "Oh, it's you!" She said happily.

The stallion waved and smiled. "I brought some of the towns famous Bread pudding and hot chocolate for you all." The stallion said warmly.

The Mare smiled and turned to the door. "I'll lead you back to the Smith." She said happily. The two exited the front of the shop and walked back, again the sound of a hammer meeting some unknown force was heard as the entered the forge and the Smith turned to them. After some time they three sat around a table happily leaning back against the chairs they sat in. "Well that was delicious." The mare said happily.

"indeed, I don't think anyone's ever brought me anything." The Smith said with a smile.

"It's the least I could do for someone who is fixing my magic." The stallion said happily.

The Smith's smile faltered and she hesitated before sighing. "About that..." She said trailing off.

"Is something wrong?' The stallion asked concern creeping into his voice.

"Well, no not really. Your magic core was severely damaged and some of the vital part that allow a unicorn to use their magic are missing or beyond repair." She said as she lowered her head.

"I...see, so I will never cast magic again?" He ashed as he looked down sadly. "Well I guess it was too much to hope for." He sighed sadly.

The Magic Smith looked down sadly before her eyes hardened and she looked at the stallion with determination. "I will fix it for you." She said. "There is still some thing I can do."

The stallion stared confused "You will? But you said-"

"I'll fix it." She said determined. "Come back tomorrow, I'll have it fixed." She said as she turned to her forge with a grimace and began to work.

The next day the Stallion returned, when he entered the shop he saw the Magic Smith sitting in the front of the shop waiting. Slowly he approached a she reached under the counter and pulled out a glowing orb with faint purple lines stitched into it. As he reached her she placed the orb in his chest and magic flowed through him. "you did It?" He asked shocked.

"Of course I did, I told you I would didn't I?" She asked with a smile.

The stallion nodded to the Smith but something was off, she seemed different that she had before like something was missing. "Are you alright he asked.

The Magic Smith waved her hoof happily. "I'm fine, was up late finishing it so I just need some rest." She said as he turned to the door that lead to the back room. "Can you take care of the money part?" She asked the mare. The mare nodded and the Magic Smith exited the room, after a moment the door was heard opening and the stallion left.

The mare turned and entered the back only to find the Magic Smith laying on the ground, her breathing shallow, her eyes unfocused. "Why Magic Smith? Why do you always share pieces of your own magic core with others?" She asked as he knelt down and nuzzled the Smith.

The Smith chuckled softly. "Look who's talking, why do you sell magic cores when you don't even have one? She asked softly.

"Because none of them fit me, There either too much or to little and the ones that fit aren't compatible with me." The mare said.

"Then perhaps this one will." The Magic Smith said as she brought out her core. "Would what's left of this one fit you?" She asked.

"Y-You're giving me your core?" The mare asked in surprise.

"If you wish it I shall." The Magic Smith said before she was pulled into a hug.

"Thank you, thank you so much." The mare said.


"What happened next?" The Filly asked excitedly.

"The Magic Smith Gave her core to the mare in a last act of Kindness, the stress she had suffered was to great and she passed." Celestia said.

The filly frowned but thought for a moment. "Was this a lesson Princess?" She asked.

Celestia smiled sadly. "No, it was a story." She said as she looked up to see a window.

"Princess, why does no one talk of the Magic Smith, I've never read any books about her. Wouldn't someone like her be remembered and loved?" The Filly asked.

"The reason is because Ponies don't remember her, even those who she helped forgot who she was." Celestia said sadly. Reflected in the window she saw herself laying next to a unicorn mare with a lavender coat, purple mane with a magenta stripe through it. "But I will always remember her, I will never forget."

Author's Note:

And that does it for this story! Yes it was a little sad compared to my normal stories but I enjoyed it and I hope you did as well. Anyway if you want more of this story them leave a comment saying you want more, thank you for reading and i hope to see you all in another story! :twilightsmile: