• Published 3rd Jun 2019
  • 918 Views, 124 Comments

Apple Family Reunion - The Blue EM2

  • ...
8
 124
 918

Chapter 3

It was very dark, as it was incredibly early in the morning. In fact, it was so early that the cockrel was yet to crow, and this meant that the members of the Apple family, still abed, could hold their manhoods cheap upon their breasts that they were not there.

Watermelody, I politely ask thee to take leave of my keyboard, or else the consequences that may cometh thy way would not be expressable in a rhyming couplet. Forsooth, it would be-

I mean it. Off my keyboard. NOW.

Zounds, tis a longprick note you touch!

This is silly. Far too silly for my taste. Excuse me please, whilst we, or should I say I, fix this chapter, or what exists of it thus far.

APPROXIMATELY 5 MINUTES LATER...

It was very dark, as it was incredibly early in the morning. In fact, it was so early that the cockrel was yet to crow, and this meant that the members of the Apple family, who were still in bed, were not awake, their minds still firmly residing in sleepyland, that distant realm that the mind occupies when one is in the land of dreams. It is a strange place indeed, and Apple Bloom found herself asleep, dreaming of terrifying monsters, or tea at the bandstand near Cranston's or Crawford's.

Having firmly got the urge to quote W. H. Auden out of her system, Apple Bloom was suddenly awakened by a loud truck horn. "Ah!" she cried, and shot up in bed. "What in the?"

"Rise and shine, folks!" called a voice from downstairs, that of Bright Mac. "We've got a long journey ahead of us, and the truck ain't gonna pack itself!"

Apple Bloom jumped out of bed, and pulled some clothes on that she had left out the previous night on her chair. Once she was done with that crucial maneuvre, she grabbed her case and wheeled it towards the door, opening the door in order to get it out of said door. A procession of cases had already rumbled down it, Applejack, Big Mac, Granny Smith, Grand Pear, and Pear Butter already wheeling theirs down the corridor and down the stairs to the landing. Apple Bloom filed in at the back, and followed along, dropping hers in alongside the others as they rolled along, making a great noise as they did so.

Eventually they made their way outdoors, and Bright Mac lifted the cases up and began to load them into the trunk. "That's mine," he said, "and Macs, and Ma's, and Pear's, and AJ's, and Grand's, and finally, yours, Apple Bloom."

"That's a lot," Apple Bloom sighed. "Are ya sure we're just goin' on holiday?"

"Ya gotta do it properly if ya gonna enjoy it," Bright Mac smiled. "Now, please take yer seat. We've got a drive ahead of us ta the station."

Apple Bloom went around the side of the truck, and hopped into the seat, squished in next to Applejack and Big Mac. "Howdy sugarcube!" Applejack said. "How ya feelin'?"

"Squashed," Apple Bloom replied.

"Well, yer the smallest," Big Mac laughed.

"And?" his vertically challenged sister challenged.

"Ya take up the least space. Therefore, ya only need ta get on last, as we can easily squeeze ya in."

Anybody who knew that family well knew that Apple Bloom did not like being teased about her height. She simply huffed, and turned to look out of the window. In front of her, the engine suddenly started up, a gentle hum coming from the old Jalopy.

"Who ya callin' a jalopy?!" Granny Smith suddenly asked.

"Ya can here him too?" Big Mac asked.

"Hear who?" Pear Butter asked.

"Why the narrator," Granny Smith replied.

"Ma, are ya feelin' alright?" Bright Mac asked his mother.

"Never felt better!" she cried, her face having a grin attached to it. "Now let's go and catch that train!"

"Right ya are!" Bright Mac smiled. He set the engine into forward, and away they drove to the station, down country roads slowly yielding to smooth roads, along which streetcars were yet to roam, and quiet houses with curtains drawn and lights off. The occupants of those buildings appeared to be asleep, which was of great comfort to them, as there were few people to disturb.

After a short road trip, Bright Mac pulled up in the station parking lot, and cut the engine. "Let's get unloaded!" he called, and hopped out of the door on his side. The entire family joined in, as Mac attached a parking ticket to inform them he'd be parked there for a few days. They dragged their bags into the station building, showed their tickets, which Mac had had the foresight to prebook, and went indoors to under the great canopy of the station. And what a sight awaited them!

Rolling in, under the canopy, producing an incredible jet of smoke and steam, was a Union Pacific 4000 Class, or as most would call it, a Big Boy. The numbers 4014 were illuminated as it rolled into the platform, 20 coaches behind it. Fearing that the Union Pacific would attempt to purchase one for service, the California Coast Railroad had bought all 8 preserved examples from their owners, and restored them to working order. Now, they hauled fast passenger and goods up and down California, with 4014 being the undoubted flagship of the eight. And they were going to get a high speed run behind one! The Apples all picked their cases up, and loaded them onto the train, ready to go. The guard blew his whistle, and they were off on their way!

They flew so fast it seemed as if they would fly into the air, and thereby not need to take a plane flight. Over beautiful plains, by starlit seas, and up through rugged mountains the train roared, clouds of steam pouring from its funnel and the whistle echoing beautifully through the clouds. The run was immensely swift, and when they rolled into San Fernando station, they were more than ready for their holiday. So off they went, and check in was mercifully quick. After that, they went to get some food. Apple Bloom recalled from her previous flight from here that there was a nice place that did cooked breakfasts. And so, to wave goodbye to California, they had breakfast... of seafood.

"Ah must say Ah've never done anythin' like this," Mac sighed, as he helped himself to a piece of salmon. "A meal of fish in the mornin'."

"Babs said ta me once that one of her friends always has salmon fer breakfast," Apple Bloom mentioned. "Silver somethin', her name was."

"Silverstream?" Applejack motioned.

"Yeah!" Apple Bloom exclaimed. "That's it! Silverstream."

Granny Smith sighed with a smile as she sat back. "It's nice ta not be the one cookin'. Ah just hope the State has kept the house in good order!"

"The house?" Big Mac asked. "Ya mean where we're stayin'?"

"The very same," Grand Pear said. "Number 22. Where the Apples lived in Cass."

Suddenly, a loud beep alerted Bright Mac, who checked his watch. "Alright folks!" he said. "We've got about 30 minutes before we're needed fer our flight. So let's finish up here, and get ready ta go. We want this ta go off without a hitch!"

There were some murmers of agreement, and the family set about finishing their breakfasts.



American Airlines Flight 3024 took to the skies about 90 minutes later, climbing higher and higher until the Earth below was but a tiny ball of nothing below them. The skies were a wonderful place, and Apple Bloom looked out at the world as it rolled by below.

"Ya lookin' forward to it?" asked Pear Butter, sat next to her.

Apple Bloom nodded. "Ah still find it weird, seein' the world so tiny below me," she said. "And yeah, Ah'm lookin' forward ta seein' Babs again. How long has it been, four months, since that trip ta New York?"

"Ya went in February, so yeah, four months," Applejack added, overhearing the conversation from just in front.

"Ah wonder what Scoots and the others are up ta," Apple Bloom sighed, looking in front of her as the flight attendants started serving lunch. Which, as expected of airlines, was absolutely disgusting, a messy mush of... something. What that something was nobody knew, but it was something.

After several hours in the air, they were happy to be off the plane. They checked their baggage out, and took the shuttle to the nearby hotel. Having been travelling for several hours, they were exhausted, and upon arrival, after their evening meal, took to their beds, with dreams of the hills in their hearts.

Author's Note:

Sorry 4014 fans, but she belongs to the CCR in this world.