• Published 3rd Jun 2019
  • 922 Views, 124 Comments

Apple Family Reunion - The Blue EM2

  • ...
8
 124
 922

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

There is a hidden reference to Friendship is Magic, Part 1 in this chapter. Can you spot it?

The day had run relatively smoothly, and the packing of clothes, personal possessions, and other such items, like toiletries (this is items such as soap, shower gell, shampoo, deoderant, and other useful items when trying to stay clean) had gone well. In fact, the family had been so efficient in packing that the entire process was concluded in approximately 2 hours. This was in itself an impressive achievement, as packing is the least popular part of a holiday, and often it took a whike with whiny family members to content with. But nontheless, the process of packing was completed at last, and the family had some extra time on their hands, which consisted of going outdoors, and assesing which trees needed the apples picking off them that Autumn. It was mainly a side exercise, as apples themselves wouldn't bring in enough money to run the place. This was why Bright Mac had his job, as it kept the entire operation financially sustainable. Not to mention raising three children wasn't exactly cheap, but it was what they had, and so they rolled with it. Later on, as the sun began to set, dipping below the horizon and bathing the world in orange, the entire family retreated back indoors to take their dinner. No, that sounds odd. Later on, as the sun began to set, dipping below the horizon and bathing the world in orange, the entire family retreated back indoors to have their dinner.

As the meal progressed, Bright Mac began his briefing for the evening and the next day, his flipchart being covered in numbers. "So then, Ah'll want everybody in bed by 10 this evenin', as we have an early start tommora. By this, Ah mean in bed with lights out, not 'thinkin' of gettin' changed ta sleep'," he said, glancing at Applejack.

"Sorry, pa," Applejack replied. One night she had stayed up slightly too late by mistake, and 'old reliable Applejack' hadn't heard the end of it for weeks! To a certain degree, she still hadn't now, but to dwell on this matter would be needlessly cruel.

"This brings us onta tommora," Bright Mac continued, pointing to another set of numbers. "Our flight out of Los Angeles is at 9 in the mornin'. Therefore, we need ta be up here at 3, and load the truck and the trailer. After that, we need ta drive down ta the station and board the express down ta Los Angeles. After that, we go ta the airport and check in, and if we've done it right, we'll have 4 hours ta do so, get breakfast, and catch our flight." There was a brief pause as he stopped speaking briefly. "So, any questions?"

"Ah have one," Grand Pear asked. "Are we goin' ta West Virginia (my first visit there, interestin'ly enough), or we stormin' a beach somewhere? This looks like a military invasion plan!"

"If thin's ain't planned ta clockwork, ya end up with nothin' but a great big mess," Granny Smith reminded him, peering at the board. "Though Ah do agree it is a bit early."

"Ah thought we wanted this ta go well," Apple Bloom observed. "That probably is about the level o' plannin' we want."

"Sorry if Ah asked this before," asked Big Mac, his deep, broad voice echoing through the room and reverberating with a wondrous tenor-

"Fer the last time, Mr Narrator, Ah'm a bass!"

Pear Butter looked over. "Mac, who are ya talkin' ta?"

"The narrator. The person tellin' the story."

"There's a person watchin' us?" Apple Bloom exclaimed. "Ah jolly hope they ain't watchin when Ah'm in the shower!"

Granny Smith facepalmed. "This is like the 50s all over again. What was the question that ya wanted ta ask, Big Mac?"

"Sorry if Ah asked this before," asked Big Mac, his deep, broad voice echoing through the room and reverberating with a wondrous rumble, "but what precisely is the reunion?"

His grandmother's face lit up as he said this, and her eyes glowed gently as she began to recount the tale, as she had many times before. But although she had told it many times before, it never ceased to get old with each and every retelling.

"As ya undoubtedly know, our family is scattered all over the place. There's Apples in California, and Apples in Virginia, and even some in North Carolina of all places."

No, Jimmy Hook, you are not in this story.

Granny Smith, not aware of the narrator, continued her tale. "And that's just Apples. There are Oranges in New York, and Oranges in Oregon, and Oranges and Kansas. Then there's the Applesauces, the Cherrys, the Tomatoes, and even some others. Like the Seeds!"

"That's a lot, in other words," Bright Mac said. "But ya ommitted the Pears."

"They only joined the clan recently, ya know," Granny Smith replied. "Goldie Delicious is still updatin' all her records. On that note, Apple Bloom's the computer whizz here, so she'd be best fer helpin' her with that. But anyways, every 20 years we hold a reunion of all the bits of the clan, in a different part of the States. The very first was in 1914, so we're markin' the 100th anniversary of the first one."

"As part of that," Grand Pear entered, "we've decided ta hold it where the very first one happened all those years ago. Cass township. We really pushed ourselves gettin' everybody together."

"In fact," Pear Butter chimed in, "we're anticipatin' this ta be the biggest reunion we've ever had. As well as mah first," she said nervously. "Ah've no idea how we'll be taken, pa," she added.

"Oh, Ah'm certain we'll be fine," Grand Pear replied. "The list's gonna be huge though!"

"Tell me about it!" Bright Mac exclaimed, picking up a list of names. "Amongst others, we've already had ourselves confirmed, plus Apple Fritter, Apple Bumpkin, Red Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicous, Caramel Apple, Apple Strudel, Apple Tart, Baked Apples, Apple Brioche (all the way from France), Apple Cinnamon Crisp, Apple Cider, Apple Cobbler, Apple Honey, Apple Munchies, Gala Appleby, Jonagold, Lavender Fritter, Peachy Sweet, Perfect Pie, Apple Strudel, Brown Betty, Braeburn, Chili Pepper (who is red hot), Goldie Delicious, Pine Apple, Cherry Jubilee. No word on the Oranges yet."



That evening, as Apple Bloom prepared to turn in, she sat on her bed and sighed. Just then, her door opened, and Applejack walked in, already dressed for bed. "Hey there, youngin'!" she called. "How are ya?"

"Hey big sis," Apple Bloom said sadly.

"Hey, what's wron'?" Applejack asked her, sitting down next to her.

"They said the Oranges ain't confirmed on the list," Apple Bloom said sadly. "And Ah really wanna see Babs again."

"Don't ya worry none," Applejack reassured her little sister. "They ain't confirmed yet. Ah have no doubts they'll be there. Have a nice night." And with that, Applejack turned the light off, and headed out.

"Ah'm still in here," Apple Bloom sighed, sliding into her bed as she did so. She looked up at the roof for what would probably be the last time in a while. "Ah hope yer there Babs," she said quietly, as she let sleep claim her, and descended into the world of dreams.