• Published 7th Dec 2018
  • 672 Views, 3 Comments

You're the Cure - Tranquil Stone



Fluttershy's been feeling down lately. Luckily, she has her best friend Rainbow Dash to help her through tough times.

  • ...
0
 3
 672

Just Your Presence

Fluttershy sighed. Finals were over...finally. She quietly chuckled to herself a little at the strange joke. Angel Bunny angrily tapped his foot on the ground, amplifying the noise due to the 'emptiness' of the old house. An old couple lived in that house, but they couldn't afford to keep the house, so they had to move out. From the kindness of her heart, Fluttershy pulled a few strings and got them a simple yet peaceful home.

"Here you go Angel" Fluttershy pushed over the bowl of fresh colourful vegetables to the bunny. Angel stared at the contents of the bowl, before frowning at Fluttershy one more. The shy girl gently tried to feed her pet the food, but Angel hopped away. Fluttershy rolled her eyes. Typical Angel. Fluttershy took a seat in an old rocking chair, as it creaked in protest, worn out from use. Fumbling around in the dark, Fluttershy found what she was looking for.

Opening up her phone, she scrolled down her email. A lot of junk mail, overly happy messages from Pinkie, the usual. Fluttershy turned off her phone and just sat there. What was there to do? She'd been feeling very...blah these days. Like she wanted to sit in front of the television and do nothing. Even that wasn't satisfying. Between the stress for receiving the results for her exam, managing the animals, and attending band practices was all a little too stressful. Fluttershy scratched her head- when was the last time she had gone out for some fun or something?

'Maybe some sleep would help' she thought, gently reclining her head into the hard wooden chair.


"Hey, has anyone heard from Fluttershy recently?" Rainbow kicked a soccer ball upwards and onto the wall, as it bounced off.

Applejack dodged the ball narrowly, "Nope. Haven't seen her since last week, to be honest"

"None of us share a class with her...except you Pinkie. Did Fluttershy even come to school for Economics?" asked Rarity, turning to the pink headed girl who was now inflating dozens of balloons.

"No, now that I think about it" Pinkie let go of the balloon, as it flew around madly, deflating. Rainbow caught it as it came flying towards her with agility.

"You think we should figure out what's wrong?" said Rainbow Dash.

Twilight poked up her glasses to keep them from falling off her face, "I don't think so. Fluttershy's probably just caught up with exams and her animals. You know how she can get"

Rainbow Dash nodded slowly. But something still didn't feel right. Rainbow Dash knew Fluttershy- she was extremely quiet, even with her feelings. If something was bothering her, she wouldn't let anyone try and see. As her friends chattered on, Rainbow slipped past the others and hopped onto her motorbike. Revving up the engine, she sped off down the streets, maneuvering through the traffic.

Rainbow arrived at a double story building, with traditional terracotta bricks, white painted fence, with flake coming off, and a large grey roof covered in rust. Fluttershy's 'new' place. Rainbow jumped off her vehicle, kissing it goodbye, receiving strange looks. As she walked up to the doorstep, she felt something on her foot. She shrieked, instantly lifting her foot off the ground, slamming it loudly back onto the wooden porch in desperate attempt to get whatever was on off.

The door creaked open, and not looking back up, Rainbow heard a melodious laughter above her. The rainbow-headed girl blushed as Fluttershy quietly laughed at her.

"Um, hi" Rainbow rubbed the back of her neck with her hand.

"Hello" Fluttershy tucked a strand of hair behind her ear shyly. She opened the door fully, making room for Rainbow to come in.

Rainbow Dash spun around the surprisingly large house, which was also super grimy. And full of dust. Remembering how allergic she was to dust, Dash winced, feeling a sneeze coming on.

"Achoo!" Rainbow Dash sneezed, scrunching up her nose, slowly letting go.

"Bless you" Fluttershy replied quickly, handing her friend a tissue out of what seemed like nowhere. Rainbow graciously accepted.

"You look cute when you sneeze" Fluttershy added.

Rainbow Dash turned red with embarrassment, "N-No I'm not!"

Fluttershy laughed again. It felt strange on her part, but Rainbow was the only one who could make her laugh at the dullest of times. Fluttershy ushered Rainbow Dash to an old dining table, made of what looked like oak wood. The two took a seat facing opposite to each other. An awkward silence filled the air, as the two didn't have a clue what to saw.

Fluttershy fiddled with her hair nervously. It's hard to hide things from your best friend, especially when they know you so well. Rainbow tilted her head to get a better glimpse at Fluttershy.

Rainbow coughed, "So, is everything okay Fluttershy?"

Her raspy voice echoed throughout the room, and Fluttershy quickly bounced upwards at her remark, "What? No, I'm perfectly fine"

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow, "Now I definitely know you're not fine"

Fluttershy let go of the strand of hair and took a deep breath in, "I guess I can't really explain how I feel. Bof"

"Like, has something been going on you'd like to tell me about...?" trailed Rainbow Dash. trying to drift her gaze anywhere other than on Fluttershy. Fluttershy mentally face-palmed. Rainbow had always been super dumb when it came to talking about feelings, and life and other emotional topics Fluttershy herself was a master at tackling. Now that the roles were reversed, the awkwardness just increased a whole lot.

"Well, big life changes I guess. I just moved out of my parent's house, and I got this-" Fluttershy paused to think for an adequate word, "Interesting...place"

"I'm super anxious about grades, and I know what a high expectation mom and dad have for me. And it doesn't help when you have super smart friends you're being constantly compared to" Fluttershy continued, "Keeping up with my animals is so tough, and managing a lovely home for them, when I'm having struggles of myself. I barely have time for you and the others, and it's all too much to deal with sometimes"

Fluttershy's eyes welled up with tears, as she hastily wiped them away. Rainbow's eyes softened, as she placed a hand on top of Fluttershy's.

"Hey, you know what I do when I'm feeling down?" whispered Rainbow, "I tell myself to keep breathing. Let go of stuff. Stay calm. It sounds like the crappiest advice, I know. But it really works. And if that doesn't work, I bet someone else out there has it worse than you"

Fluttershy looked up and gave a weak smile, "Thanks"

"Come on Flutters, you gotta keep being strong" encouraged Rainbow Dash, realizing her words weren't as effective as she had thought.

"I'm trying" mumbled Fluttershy, letting a strand of hair fall in front of her vulnerable eyes.

"You wanna go out for a walk or something?" offered Rainbow, standing up and lending Fluttershy a hand. Fluttershy placed a hand in her palm and got up. The pair stepped out the door, breathing in the fresh smell of the outside. Combined by the musty smell of the house.

Rainbow led Fluttershy over to her bike, shining it proudly with her hands, "You're the only lucky one who'll get to ride my precious baby"

Fluttershy rested a hand gently on the vehicle. As it revved loudly, Fluttershy quietly screamed, lifting her hand away as soon as possible, "Uh, maybe not"

"Come on Fluttershy; it'll be fun!" urged Rainbow Dash, hopping on the bike.

Fluttershy sighed, "Fine"

Rainbow excitedly grabbed ahold of Fluttershy's hand, slipping her onto the sleek bike. Fluttershy let out a little squeal and the bike sped off across the streets way over the speed limit. Maybe not such a good idea...


"Where are we?" whispered Fluttershy staring out the window of the building they were in. A bright and lively marketplace greeted her outside, people bustling around from stall to stall. The building they themselves were in was dark, grey and extremely dusty...

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "We're in Pine Hollow!"

"Where?"

"Pine Hollow- famous for its markets yearly stalls, silly!" sighed Rainbow, driving a hand through her hand.

Fluttershy nodded slowly, "So, what are we doing here?"

"Shopping...but not shopping" Rainbow mused, "Shopping for free I guess"

"Shopping for free?" repeated Fluttershy.

Rainbow nodded, "Remember that list of the ten 'bad' things you had to do. The one I made for you back in fifth grade? Well, now it's time to tick off number one- stealing from a marketplace"

"What? No! Stealing is wrong" argued Fluttershy.

"Don't worry, we'll return the stuff" assured Rainbow, tugging on Fluttershy's wrist, "Let's go!"

The two burst out of the room, into the bright sunlight. The loud hustle and bustle only increased as they scurried around the marketplace. Finding a rope, Rainbow Dash climbed up the roof and admired the view higher up. She looked down, seeing Fluttershy shivering.

"Fluttershy! Come up here, the view's great" said Rainbow, blocked out the sun with her eyes. Fluttershy shook her head, as her friend rolled her eyes.

"Do you trust me?" Rainbow threw down the rope.

"W-What?"

"Do you trust me?"

Fluttershy hung herself up on the rope before Rainbow pulled it upward, hoisting her friend up in the air and up onto the roof. The two shared a smile. Rainbow bent down and snatched a watermelon from the stand. The merchant saw her, shooing her away.

Rainbow quickly popped her head back up to Fluttershy, "Now!"

Fluttershy quickly lowered herself down and grabbed a watermelon while Rainbow had the man busy. Rainbow dropped her watermelon, while Fluttershy grabbed hers from the other side. The merchant spun around, confused. Scratching his head, he simply continued on with his work.

Fluttershy split the melon in half with her hands, as Rainbow watched in awe, "You could do that?"

"I can do a lot of things you don't know about" winked Fluttershy. Rainbow took her half, and bit into the watermelon, the taste of the sweet fruit overtaking her mouth. Rainbow Dash sighed, in refreshment of the delicious fruit. Fluttershy watched Rainbow devour the watermelon, before eating and finishing off hers. A small monkey scurried over them, probably from the smell of the food. Fluttershy handed it the rind, petting its head, as the animal gave a quick bow and ran off.

"We really do need to pay for this Dashie" Fluttershy said. She slipped down the rope, and fetching out two dollars

"Here's a tip for your hard work sir" Fluttershy said, handing the man at the stand two dollars.

"Why are you giving me this? What's in it for you?" The man asked, suspicion rising in his voice.

Fluttershy blushed, "Trust me, no tricks here"

The man shrugged, and thanked Fluttershy. The kind hearted girl went up to the roof where Rainbow was waiting.

"Finally! Look here!" Rainbow pointed off at the sunset, the colour of the sun beautifully blending in with the colours and hues of the sky. Fluttershy gasped.

"Wow, it's amazing" said Fluttershy, breath taken away. These sights were almost impossible back home, "Thank you for everything Rainbow Dash"

"For what?"

"For making me feel better when I was feeling sad. You're a true friend" said Fluttershy. She wrapped her arms around Rainbow's neck. Rainbow was surprised at first, but then returned the hug.

Fluttershy and Rainbow had a relationship like a diamond. Beautiful and rare, and could perhaps crack, but never break. The pair sat together, watching Luna's moon grace the skies with the stunning stars in the sky. This day was proof for them, that even the simplest of actions and a day of fun, could make someone feel loads better. They were each other's cure.

Author's Note:

DON'T STEAL GUYS IT'S BAD :twilightoops:
And I'm not sure about the diamond thing, enjoy the analogy and don't come after me!!

Bof

My favourite word in French and also means, 'meh'

I just felt like all fanfiction is so off topic of the show's real content these days- pure friendship. I felt kinda good, and happy, so this was the result. I really love both these characters, and their dynamic is something I love. And NO this isn't a shipping story :pinkiecrazy: I think...you tell me in the comments below guys!!

Enjoy, signing out
~Tranquil Stone

Comments ( 3 )

"Hey, you know what I do when I'm feeling down?" whispered Rainbow, "I tell myself to keep breathing. Let go of stuff. Stay calm. It sounds like the crappiest advice, I know. But it really works. And if that doesn't work, I bet someone else out there has it worse than you"

While that second portion’s honestly typically one of the worst things you can tell someone when they aren’t in a good place, it does very much seem in character for her to do.

9335307
Yup, with this story, my aim is to make the character's very similar to their personalities in the show, glad I could deliver :twilightsmile:

Bet the monkey was thinking 'Wait, this isn't Agraba. WHERE AM I?'

Login or register to comment