• Published 14th Dec 2018
  • 10,926 Views, 1,673 Comments

The Gaps in F r i e n d s h i p - Arcanum -Phantasy



Now that Anon-a-Miss has been defeated, Sunset is ready to move forward with her new friends. New misadventures follows her and her crew as the past meets the present. Can Sunset help fill the gaps around her friends?

  • ...
35
 1,673
 10,926

Chapters Next
Prologue

The bite of winter. The gentle rays of a half moon. The soft splashing of water. These were the few things one would expect if they went to the bridge over Canter Creek. Had they been present two weeks ago, they would've seen a broken girl standing on the guardrail just a breath away from taking her own life. If someone were to come now, they would be greeted with a similar scene. A teen girl stood on the guardrail, her red trench coat billowing in the wind as she looked out over the near-frozen water. Her dark pink hare hung loosely around her shoulders as she held herself steady with a hanging wire.

So this is what she saw that night, Pinkie thought, reaching for something in her coat pocket with her free hand. It's so peaceful here.

As she thought that, she pulled a small box out of her pocket and flicked it. A thin paper tube poked out of a hole in the top. She grabbed it with her teeth and pulled what at first glance looked like a cigarette until Pinkie pocketed the box and bit off the tip in her mouth. As she pulled the candy replica away from her teeth she let out a slow breath out of reflex just before spitting out the bit of paper wrapping in her mouth. For a moment, she let the bittersweet taste of green apples distract her from her troubles as she peeled away enough of the wrapper around her piece of candy to pull it out completely without letting go of her makeshift handhold. While she wasn't as willing to go back to old vices as Rarity was, Pinkie was willing to relive them in other ways.

I guess if I had to choose, this would be a nice thing to see before I died, she thought, placing her now naked candy cigarette in her mouth.

Yet again her mind drifted towards that night at Sugarcube Café. The destroyed look on Sunset's face as she dropped her journal and left. It was at that moment that she felt something wasn't right. That this wasn't the kind of thing the old Sunset would do. She should've said something. She should've done something. Why didn't she do something?

"I'm so spineless," she muttered lips pulled into a rueful smile as she stared down into the frozen abyss below. "If I wasn't such a coward, Flutters and I could've stopped her. She never would've had to pick a last anything."

Her smile slowly shifted into a grimace as anger took the place of her grief.

"Why did this have to happen!? Everything was going great for her! Why did they have to start this whole thing!? Why?.....Why!?........... WHY!?"

With a furious snarl, she threw her candy as far as she could.

"WHY DID EVERYTHING HAVE TO GO SO WRONG?!"

Feeling her grip on her emotions start to slip, she took a few deep breaths to regain some semblance of control of herself. It worked, mostly, as with a slightly shaking hand she pulled out her box of candy cigarettes to replace her previous one. As she did she glanced down at the water below her.

It would be so easy, she thought as she repeated the steps to get her fake vice out of its box. All it would take is just one step. One step and it would all be over. No more pain. No more heartache. I can see why she tried.

As she put the newly prepped piece of candy in her mouth she stared up at the half-moon above her, a look of resolve on her face.

"I'm going to make this right. I don't know how, but I'm going to fix this. Even if it takes me a million years, I'm gonna fix this."

She stared out over the water towards the shining city lights in the distance, a determined smile spread across her face.

"You hear me?!" she cried. "I, Pinkamena Diane Pie, swear that I'm gonna fix this or die trying! Cross my heart! Hope to fly! Stick a cupcake in my eye!"

A big smile spread across her face as for the first time in days she felt a weight fall off of her shoulders. Things were going to get better. They had to! No matter what it took Pinkie was going to make it happen. The happiness inside her continued to grow as the thought of a better tomorrow entered her head only to turn into frozen terror a second later. With a loud snap, the cable she was using as a handhold broke away from the bridge. Her heart felt like it was in a vice as her lack of balance tipped her towards the waters below her. Desperate, she tried to pitch herself back towards the bridge's main platform, but it was too late. Time seemed to slow as she fell off the railing to her doom, her fear stopping any screams from leaving her. Out of reflex she took a futile grasp at the railing, only to come just short. As she saw the key to her survival rise further out of reach, countless memories flew to the forefront of her mind. It was funny, they say that when you were going to die your whole life flashes in front of you. But these weren't just any memories to Pinkie. The sleep overs. The time they spent in the cafeteria. Having drinks at Sugarcube Café. They were the memories of Sunset before Anon-a-Miss. Before she took away Sunset's smile. When they were still friends. And now, she was about to experience what would've happened to her if someone hadn't stopped her. If she "had it her way" as she put it the day before.

In a matter of seconds, her thoughts disappeared as she made contact with the water below her. The pain was beyond imagination, as though she had been hit by a truck with frozen knives welded to its front. Then she began to sink and the knives turned into fangs as she felt the cold water tear into her. Shock kept her from resisting as she continued to sink, her head soon falling beneath the surface. The cold was agonizing, almost as much as the lack of air as she continued to sink. As death came for her and the world turned dark, a single thought flickered in her head like a dying ember.

S...un.....se....t.

Author's Note:

And so we begin again. Now, before any of you try to hunt me down and beat me to death over what happened here, please wait until chapter two to give me hell on behalf of the pink party princess. There is a method to my madness, trust me. Things are going to be bad before they get better.

Chapters Next