• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 1,474 Views, 10 Comments

Memoirs of A Guard - TheWingman



Celestia, still coming to terms with her son's comatose state, finds a collection of his written thoughts.

  • ...
2
 10
 1,474

Entries 29 - 36

Author's Note:

I do sincerely apologize for the lack of updates to this fic. Between working on new ideas, IRL shenanigans, and the COVID outbreak, it's been a bit crazy and stressful. But, I have another chapter for you peeps but also a notice. With my story, Azure's Last Journey, I've decided to retcon things to where Azure didn't die but was put in a month-long coma. Thus, this story will be the start of a new continuity and the first chapter shall be changed to reflect that. I'm certain that the change will irk some people but it's something that I'll set it up for going beyond what Azure had written up to that point. I hope you'll enjoy this nonetheless.

(For Entries 29 - 32)

(For Entries 33 - 36)


Saturday, January 21st, 1014 ESY


On another patrol job. But this time, it’s in the thick of winter. Due to some delivery mixup among other things, our specialized winter gear has yet to arrive and we’re forced to make do with what we have. With the recent spike in changeling incursions, supply routes had taken another hit. Other ponies have been on edge but thanks to my mother, she has been keeping our people calm for the most part. Though, I wish I could say the same for us.

Patrols had been doubled since it was discovered that a trading outpost had been used as a front for changelings raiders. When they were discovered, they had it burnt to the ground. My friends and I were there when it happened. Apart from a few changelings dead, some normal ponyfolk, presumably kept around for the sake of appearances, were among the fatalities. Guess they didn’t want them squawking or anything. Damn it.

One of these days, I’m hoping we can take the fight to them, to show them that we won’t tolerate these terror tactics against our people. I’m guessing that anything short of a fullscale invasion won’t permit us to retaliate. Nonetheless, I’ll be prepared for it when the time comes and hopefully end it quickly.

Also, I hope my mother has the weather pegasi ease up on how cold the winters get. My wings are getting a little chilly.


Tuesday, February 13th, 1014 ESY


Well, today was both intense and exhilarating. Even as I write this, I still feel short of breath from how much I exerted myself. After one of our scouts returned from recon duties, he found a changeling camp in the Everfree Forest. From what he was able to gather while he went snooping around, it was determined that it was the staging ground for their latest string of infiltrations. Our unit was attached to the operation. Objective: Raze the camp.

Still in the winter, we decided that the day would be a good time for the attack. We surrounded the encampment and our squad was chosen to go in and start the attack. When we had their attention, a force of about 30 or so (can’t recall, maybe more), started to swarm us. Readying my spear, I charged, cutting down as many of them as I could. There was a strange feeling inside of me as I was surrounded by the enemy, facing the danger they posed. Adrenaline, it was a funny feeling but exciting.

Soon, the battle winded down and we had achieved victory. Apart from a few injuries, we had only one casualty, a fresh-faced recruit named Storm Song. During the battle, I saw the opportunity to capture their commanding officer, or whatever changelings had for a CO. Because of that and how I fought, I was promoted to sergeant while Redwell became a First Sergeant. I feel glad, even though I’m still relaxing from the intensity of the battle. I just hope this victory will help things quiet down for once.


Wednesday, February 14th, 1014


Fresh off from partying with my squad after the promotion ceremony, I went to chill in the throne room with my mother. I was surprised when I saw my cousin, Mi Amore Cadenza there, Cadence for short. An alicorn like my mother, she too was gifted with indomitable power. She held the power over love and all things connected with it. If I dare say it, she was the most beautiful mare I know and any stallion would be lucky to have her and it was always a treat to hang out with her.

I took a walk with her upon her request and she quizzed me about if I loved somepony before. Though I was reluctant, I mentioned my relationship with Marigold. She gave me a long speech that went something to the effect of ‘Though I may be without love, it’ll find me again. I won’t know when but I’ll feel it.’. I was able to understand her. For now, it put me at ease. I’ll just have to wait until a conversation leads to something.

To be honest, I was quite surprised that she was dating my CO, Shining Armor. Holy Bleeding Tartarus, Shining Armor, the guard me and my friends all aspire to be like, is in a relationship with THE Princess of Love. I honestly don’t know how he pulled it off but damn, what a badass. But if they get married… shit, he’ll be my future cousin. It’ll take me awhile to process all that.


Monday, April 2nd, 1014 ESY


Today, we were quite busy along with our normal patrol routines that became the norm. There was a disturbance at one of the restaurants in the downtown area, The Tasty Treat, between two mares. It was loud and caused a majority of the patrons to move to one side out of fear that it would get physical. The owners, Saffron Masala and Corriander Cumin if I remember, were outside waiting for us.

They briefed us on the situation as it stood and we immediately got to work. By the time we got there, our negotiations were barely effective at diffusing the situation before things were thrown. The second a plate narrowly missed a stallion was where we went in and subdued them until a wagon came to haul them off. To say that the owners and diners were all relieved would be an understatement. I wonder if we’ll see our faces in tomorrow’s paper.

We were given lunches by Mr. Cumin as thanks for dispelling the situation, all on the house. Mighty kind of him for that. I have to say that for a little out of the way place here in Canterlot, the food here is quite good. Nicely spicy and flavorful, it’s like a hidden gem here. Though it was on the house, we both got the idea to leave a decent amount of bits on the table when we left. For all their hard work, they deserve it.


Sunday, March 19th, 1014 ESY


If I can say anything about why I wanted to join the royal guard, most would know that I did so to chase a dream. As time went on, I knew that I joined to protect the innocent, both mares and stallions, and all creatures alike. I have a strong sense of justice to uphold no matter what. But sometimes, there are some things that shake me to my core and even question a friendship.

While I was at yesterday’s Winter Wrap Up party, I was walking around to work off the buzz from cider when I heard a mare screaming for help. I rushed as fast as I could, only to see something that made my jaw drop. One of my friends, Cpl. Ocean Flare, was attempting to have his way with a servant mare. Lots of cogs spun in my head. He was my friend and to see him committing such a heinous act made me sick. At that point, I no longer saw him as a friend but a criminal.

I rushed forward and tackled him to the ground, yelling all sorts of curses while I pummeled him. It didn’t take long for other guards to arrive and arrest him. From what I’ve heard, he was dishonorably discharged and put away. I just didn’t get it. How could one of the many ponies I knew from basic do something like that or anypony for that matter? I just don’t understand and I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. Nevertheless, I’ve sworn an oath to protect all who dwell in the land, even if it’s against a friend.


Wednesday, April 2nd, 1014 ESY


Today, we were given orders to be part of the security detail for the visiting ruler of Ornithia, Aurlan. In my spare time, I’ve read books about the many nations around the world. Ornithia was one of them and I have to say their history was interesting, to say the least. Apart from all that, Aurlan was very mild-mannered. He never sneered at us or treated any of us like pieces of meat. I can see why he would command the respect of many… for the most part.

As he casually talked while we were escorting him on his tour, Aurlan told us about how there was a faction in their ruling caste vying for the throne of primarch. He doesn’t know who would back said faction but from what I gathered, it could be tied to familial upheaval. Sometimes, something like reminds me of why I fear to take a rulership position in Equestria. Just the complexities of it all scares me.

As we neared the entrance to the palace, a group of assassins sprang from the shadows but we were ready. As we fought them off, Aurlan joined us in combat too. It surprised me but I remember reading that most Ornithian Primarchs are essentially warrior kings. The battle was short and we later arrived at the palace without further incident. Can’t wait for happy hour tomorrow. I hope some of that Sweet Apple Acres cider will be in stock by then.


Friday, August 8th, 1014


Day by day, I feel myself growing older and I’m soon to hit the big twenty-three. Time flies by so fast and it would leave one shaken up like mixed drink. Especially around my birthday every year, my mother has been more affectionate toward me. I had no idea why at first but as I got to read more of her body language and learn more about her, I slowly began putting the pieces together.

My mother regretted banishing my aunt to the moon all those years ago. Though what she did was necessary, I could tell that it hurt her to do so. I also began to suspect she would occasionally cry herself to sleep as a result. As much as I’m prepared to fight her, I wish there would be a happy ending between my mother and Luna. She misses her dearly and I… want to get a chance to know her.

Also, found out that Redwell and his wife are having another foal and Buckwheat Stone is getting hitched. It’s going to be a busy schedule but with things being quiet as of late, it hopefully won’t be that much of an issue. So, going to be busy with welcoming another godfoal and another wedding.


Sunday, November 22nd, 1014 ESY


Well, didn’t expect Chancellor Neighsay, of all ponies, to come ask me for help. He was pretty desperate when he approached me. When he calmed down, he told me that his wife, Chancellor Abacus, had been in a coma after she was attacked by an unknown party. Though she’ll recover, he is fearful that whomever did it would come back to finish the job. With my mother’s blessing, I took up the charge.

Throughout the night, I watched over her, making sure to keep my eyes only very slightly open, to catch any would be assassin off guard. I heard a creak on the floorboards and I saw a cloaked figure hovering over her bed, drawing what was for sure, a knife. The second it left the sheath was when I tackled the perp within the blink of an eye. In the process, I got him in the neck with my sword. However, who the pony was shocked me even more.

Turning him around and removing his hood, I was shocked to see that it was Darius himself. My mind was racing with all sorts of questions as he spent his last breath on a laugh. How did he escape from Tartarus? Did he have outside help? I’m going to bring this matter to my mother with Neighsay in the morning. Thankfully, Abacus was unharmed. The doctors said she’ll be awake in a couple of weeks. We really need to bolster our security.