• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 1,474 Views, 10 Comments

Memoirs of A Guard - TheWingman



Celestia, still coming to terms with her son's comatose state, finds a collection of his written thoughts.

  • ...
2
 10
 1,474

Prologue: Memories, Old and New

Author's Note:

(EDIT: After much consideration, I decided to change this chapter. Instead of Azure being dead, he'll be alive but comatose. As such, once my initial planned arc is done, a 'second season' will be worked on. There'll be more to come.)

Celestia opened the door. The room was beset by a few clusters of cobwebs and dust. She knew it had been weeks since she set hoof inside. Everything was as it was since her son last dwelled there. After he was rendered comatose, she made an order for the room not to be disturbed in any manner until he woke up. Since then, she couldn’t bring herself to tidy it up. Just the thought alone made her immortal heart ache. The only light that illuminated the room was the moon hoisted by her sister, Luna.

Trotting around, Celestia felt as if she was taking a giant leap into the past. She remembered the times where she would tuck her son in tight to go to bed and where she comforted him when he was sick. Above all, she would never forget his bright smile. Sighing, she wandered around, planning how she’ll tidy it all up the next day. As she did, she felt an aura creeping up on her, a familiar one.

*Sigh* “No matter how many times you try, you’ll never be able to catch me off guard, dear sister.” Spoke Celestia as the lunar princess emerged from the shadows with a neutral look drawn on her face, laced with concern.

“Wasn’t trying to.” Luna responded. “I’ve stopped that ages ago.” The look on her sister’s face became readily obvious to her. She becomes concerned but is already aware of the cause of her distress. “Tia, I won’t pretend to know how you feel.”

“I know you mean well. Your emotional support is more than enough.” Celestia then turned to Luna and wrapped her forehooves around her sister. Her heart beat faster than ever. She was at peace for the most part. But, some wounds still remain, those of the heart. “I know you still feel sorrow for your nephew as well”

*Sigh* “Yes. Though I wasn’t around for most of his life, he warmed up to me when we first met. The amount of pride that colt has, commendable. What have you come here for?”

“Though this room hasn’t been touched in months, I wanted to clean it a bit but never got to.”

“Will you be moving things around?”

“I think it’s best to leave things here as is. Just some dusting, sweeping and mopping will do.”

“So, you want to declare this room as a shrine?”

“Yes, until he awakes.” Azure Glide was somepony Celestia held dear, alongside Luna and Twilight Sparkle. Because of him, she was able to experience the joys of motherhood. Nearly losing him was among the many heartbreaks she had to endure in her immortal life. Still, the fact that he'll live made her feel a shred of hope. Still, with her sister, she had to remain strong for her people.

Trotting around, Celestia and Luna sought out areas that needed tidying. Apart from some ambient dust, nothing major needed to be done. Soon, their gaze turned to his bed. It was the only thing that was considered to be a mess in her eyes. As Celestia mused over the bed’s disheveled state, Luna looked over the neighboring nightstand. Save for a picture of him in uniform and his mother, the only thing of note was what looked to be a book. Picking it up, Luna saw that it bore Azure’s name.

“Tia,” Said Luna, drawing her sister’s attention. “what might this be?” Being handed the book, Celestia took a few good glances at it. Flipping through each page, it became clear to her what it was. She remembered giving it to him on his eighteenth birthday.

“My goodness, it’s his diary!” She gasped. “From the looks of it, he’s written in it quite a bit.” With each flipping of the page, it became clear to Celestia that despite Azure always spilling his thoughts to her, what he always shared was but a fraction of his true thoughts. Bit by bit, each page continued to surprise her. There was quite a bit he kept from her.

“What will you do with it?” Tia asked. Celestia wanted to leave things as is, all in their place as they’re found. But, the overwhelming curiosity concerning her son was stronger. Eventually beating it out, she decided to keep it for the time being. There was much she wanted to learn about her son’s inner thoughts that weren’t known to her.

“I’ll keep it for now.” She replied. “I’ll start cleaning tomorrow. Let not one of the royal staff aid me. That job is mine and mine alone.”

“As you wish, sister.” Luna nodded as she prepared to leave, "Would you like me to check on Celaeno and see how she's doing?"

"If you wish, sister." Celestia weakly smiled, "But, I think it won't be necessary. I know she and my grandfoal-to-be will be in good hooves."

They then went their separate ways as Celestia retired to her room for slumber. With her son’s diary in her possession, she was free to read it as she pleased. Though she felt a tinge of guilt, it was negligible to her. Laying in her cozy bed, she began reading page after page, passage after passage. Each and every time, making her crook an eyebrow. There was much to learn.