• Published 1st Dec 2018
  • 758 Views, 32 Comments

Tales from Manehattan Port: A Tugs and MLP:FiM Crossover - SonicFan117DASH



A simple crossover between MLP:FiM and a famous yet short-lived TV show from 1989.

  • ...
 32
 758

Chapter 2: Class is in Session

As he trotted happily to Ponyville Schoolhouse Mr. Starr couldn’t help grinning. This was an opportunity he couldn’t ignore. His chance to relive his glory days by storytelling them to a listening audience has come!

In addition, he could also pass down some maritime pointers to Miss Cheerilee’s students should one of them decide to pursue a life on the sea. Back in the old days, it was somewhat traditional to introduce your offspring to the maritime life to see if they wanted to follow in your hoof steps. Sadly, Mr. Starr never had any foals in his life, but that’s a story for another time.

Mr. Starr finally reached Ponyville Schoolhouse and knocked on the door. Almost immediately the door swung open to the sight of Cheerilee with a relieved smile on her muzzle.

“Oh thank you for coming, Mr. Starr. You’re arrival means so much to me right now.”

Mr. Starr couldn’t help but chuckle. “Of course, Miss Cheerilee. I wouldn’t dare miss this opportunity to educate youngsters of an age long past.”

The two ponies walked into the schoolhouse and Cheerilee offered Mr. Starr a chair right beside her desk, which he greatly accepted.

“So,” Cheerilee began, “First and foremost, thank you again for coming. Secondly, I have asked for your help regarding the last few weeks of this school year.” Miss Cheerilee went on and explained the whole ordeal to Mr. Starr: the assignment, the study, the presentation, etc. By the time Cheerilee finished, Mr. Starr was very surprised.

“Well, Miss Cheerilee,” the old stallion said with a smile, “You have come to the right stallion. I’m happy to say I have at least two decades of experience in the maritime business, and a more than extensive knowledge of tugboats. For I have once captained a small fleet of them for more than 15 years.”

Cheerilee was ecstatic. “That’s amazing! More than I expected but very impressive.”

Before Cheerilee could say more Mr. Starr interjected, “Is this lesson on the subject of tugboats alone? Or does the assignment revolve around their significance in the economy and influence on the public’s imagination?”

Cheerilee pondered on the question for a moment. She then responded, “I think a little bit of both.”

Mr. Starr grinned at that. “In that case, I happen to have an idea.”

“Do tell,” Cheerilee replied.

“I have a few stories worth sharing that heavily involves the tugboat fleet I mentioned earlier. While you handle the lessons and lectures and such, I shall share a tale or two of my younger days in Manehattan. They will act as a means of proving to your students the lesson you just lectured about to be effective towards the ponies of the past.”

Silence fell as Cheerilee considered Mr. Starr’s proposal. The more she thought about it the more she loved it. Not only would the stories be useful to specify certain lessons, but they would also double as an old-fashioned story time.

“I love it! The foals would never refuse a good story about Equestria’s past. Mr. Starr you are an absolute genius!”

Mr. Starr nearly blushed at that last comment. He was about to reply when he noticed Cheerilee’s face suddenly took on a slight frown. She looked back to Mr. Starr with a serious look in her eyes that made him think, “She’s about to say something that I can’t ignore.”

“Actually,” Cheerilee started with a tired look, “There are two students in my class that I should probably warn you about. They’re known to be cruel and cold to the other students, especially the ones who haven’t earned their cutie marks yet.”

Mr. Starr took Cheerilee’s words into great consideration. It was an unfortunate fact that countless colts and fillies across Equestria have fallen victim to bullies and harassers due to the lack of a mark resembling their life talents on their hindquarters. He himself was not an exception. He hated how some sweet young foals could turn into heartless attackers who preyed upon the mark-less.

Mr. Starr shook his head to avoid unwanted memories and continued listening to Cheerilee.

“Diamond Tiara has a record of being incredibly rude and disrespectful. She and her only friend, Silver Spoon, have had more reports of bullying and verbal cruelty than I wish to count. There are also times when Diamond can forget her manners and even lash out at ponies of other age groups.” Mr. Starr narrowed his eyes at that. “And worst of all, she is never shy of speaking her dislike of any subject I give to the class. On the very few occasions Diamond has minded her manners to a degree, but lately she has gotten worse. I feel the need to tell you-“

“If she gives me any lip,” Mr. Starr interrupted, “Or if she doesn’t care about me or my stories then that is her problem. One student’s cooperation isn’t worth that of the entire class.”

Cheerilee had to agree. All the same she reminded Mr. Starr to be careful.

The Next Day

The morning school bell rang to signify the star of a new school day. Monday wasn’t a favorite to the foals of Ponyville so most of them were still half asleep. Regardless, they made their way to their designated desks and waited patiently.

Cheerilee got down from her stool that helped her reach the bell’s rope and greeted her class. “Good morning, my little ponies.”

“Good morning, Miss Cheerilee,” the foals greeted back!

Cheerilee giggled behind her hoof. She loved hearing her students say that. “Right. Well, I hope you all had a good weekend. As we all know, there are eight weeks of school left before Summer Vacation-“ Cheerilee didn’t get to finish that sentence for the majority of the students cheered at that tidbit of information. Amongst the cheering was a barely audible “Like, about time!” from a certain pink filly wearing her signature headwear.

“Settle down. Settle down now,” Cheerilee called over the noise. After her students calmed down Cheerilee made her way to the chalkboard. “For the remainder of the school year I have decided to give all of you a special assignment that I’m sure you will enjoy.”

The little colts and fillies gazed at their teacher in wonder. A special assignment? An enjoyable one at that? Wonder what it could be? Cheerilee got to the chalkboard and turned around to address the class.

“Now, this assignment will have you doing something a little different. This final lesson will be covering a variety of attributes that we may have already gone over, or have yet to cover. These attributes will be coming from an unusual yet fitting topic, one which had a fascinating effect on Equestria’s history as of three decades ago.”

The class was amazed.

“As I already said, we might be revisiting some topics I have already taught while covering new ones at the same time. The assignment will be teaching the values of friendship, working together, the importance of trust and honesty, and most importantly, versatility.”

Dinky Doo raised her hoof. “What does… vers-til-aty… mean?”

It took a good amount of willpower for Cheerilee not to laugh at Dinky’s mispronouncing of the word. “Versatility, Dinky, is the ability to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.”

A brown colt wearing a propeller beanie put his hoof up. “So, it’s another word for multitasking?”

“Not exactly, Button Mash,” replied Cheerilee. “It means that something designed for a specific task can be used for some different yet similar tasks at the same rate as its’ original usage.”

By this point Diamond Tiara was growing impatient. “So, like, what subject is it that we have to study?! Let’s get it over with and get done faster so we can, like, go home!”

Cheerilee kept her composure and took a deep breath before speaking again. “Diamond Tiara, need I remind you to be patient? I understand you all would like for summer to arrive but it doesn’t hurt to enjoy the remaining school year while it lasts.”

Diamond Tiara just rolled her eyes and muttered to herself, “Whatever” when she thought no pony could hear her. Cheerilee did, but chose to let it go this once.

“For this assignment the study topic shall be, the tugboat,” Cheerilee announced with glee!

An uncomfortable silence fell upon the entire room. Cheerilee saw some of her students look back at her with confusion, others with curiosity, while the rest looked just disappointed. Luckily, she was quick to speak up again before they began complaining.

“I know it might sound boring, but rest assured, there is a lot more to the tugboat than meets the eye. For example, tugboats are no ordinary workboat; they were designed to push and pull many times their own weight, were made to last, and surprisingly have left behind quite the effect on the imagination of ponies in the maritime business.”

For the next few hours Cheerilee went over the basic principles and protocols the tugboat follows, their origins, evolution throughput history and the like. All the while, her class were taking in the lecture in varying ways. A few were genuinely interested with this new subject, others just went along with it and took notes to show they were listening, while the rest barely listened without a care.

Eventually, it was time for lunch and recess. Cheerilee let her students outside and returned to her desk. She sat down and gone over her paperwork to pass the time. Cheerilee was so focused into her work she nearly jumped out of her skin when the door came open. She turned to the door quickly and saw it was none other than her special guest.

“Mr. Starr,” Cheerilee said, startled! “You frightened me.”

“Apologies, Miss Cheerilee. I got here right when you asked me; before 12:30.”

Cheerilee turned towards the clock and saw it was 12:25p.m. “Well then, it would seem that you have.”

“Your students all gave me surprised looks when I approached the building. I don’t think they recognize me yet.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. I have had ponies come to my class to help with study sessions before. This is your first time here and I forgot to mention you were coming, so it’s understandable they were confused when you came. Go ahead and make yourself comfortable and I shall call the foals back in.”

Mr. Starr did just that and sat down in a spare chair while Cheerilee went to ring the bell.

Once all the foals were back inside and returned to their seats Cheerilee walked in front of her desk. “Welcome back, my little ponies. I’m sure you have seen a new arrival come in. I must apologize; I have forgotten to mention we have a guest speaker pony who has great knowledge and experience about our current study subject. So put on a happy face for Mr. Skipper Starr!”

The foals, except Diamond Tiara, politely applauded for Mr. Starr as he stood up and bowed his head slightly.

“Thank you for having me here,” Mr. Starr said to the class. “I hope to make good acquaintances with you. If any of you have questions don’t hesitate to ask.”

Applebloom raised her hoof and said, “Are ya’ll gonna teach us more about them tugboats?”

Mr. Starr chuckled slightly at the yellow filly’s accent. “Why yes, yes I am. In fact I plan to do more than just “teach” you about tugboats; that’s Miss Cheerilee’s job. I’ll save you my life story. Let’s just say I have at least twenty years of hooves-on experience with tugboats.”

Scootaloo raised her hoof next. “No offense, Mr. Starr, sir, but what more can you tell us about the tugboats? Cheerilee already went over their functions before lunch. Surely there can’t be more to know about.”

Mr. Starr only shook his head at the filly’s ignorance. “No offense taken, little lady. I can personally guarantee you that there is much, much more to the tugboat than what you already know.”

“Like what,” asked Sweetie Bell?

“How about you blank flanks shut up so he can, like, tell us,” Diamond Tiara burst out rudely!

Cheerilee was about to scold the spoiled pink filly but Mr. Starr beat her to the punch. “I understand you are excited, young filly…” Diamond Tiara looked dumbfounded by that comment. “…but I must ask that you not be so rude to your fellow classmates.”

The three fillies, who initially had scowls on their faces from Diamond Tiara’s rudeness, gave Mr. Starr grateful grins at stupefying the bully.

“As I was saying, I have a long history with tugboats and other maritime elements. I would like to share them with you.” The majority of the fillies and colts grew excited at the idea of a good story and leaned in with anticipation.

“Now, I know some of you might be thinking that tugboats only worked in harbors helping bigger ships and liners in and out of the busy port. Well let me tell you that is a large part of their duties, but they are also one the most versatile vessels ever built.

“You see, the tugboat, for its size, is the most powerful craft afloat. And my former fleet of tugs, the Star Fliers, were the power behind the docks and waterways that made up the Manehattan Port.

“This… is Tugs!”

Comments ( 7 )

I could here Patrick Allen's voice right at the end.

Also I can't help but notice that this line

Now, I know some of you might be thinking that tugboats only worked in harbors helping bigger ships and liners in and out of the busy port. Well let me tell you that is a large part of their duties, but they are also one the most versatile vessels ever built.

Somewhat parallels what YouTuber WildnorWester had the character Atlas say in the episode of his series Sodor the Modern Years: The Last Straw

9338598
Very observant of you. I almost thought no one would notice. :ajsmug:

9338929
It is a rather niche subject.

Yay! I enjoyed the intro reference at the end of the chapter, and how Starr dealt with Diamond Tiara. I can't wait for more.

Good story , where's new chapter ?

Login or register to comment