• Published 1st Dec 2018
  • 758 Views, 32 Comments

Tales from Manehattan Port: A Tugs and MLP:FiM Crossover - SonicFan117DASH



A simple crossover between MLP:FiM and a famous yet short-lived TV show from 1989.

  • ...
 32
 758

Prologue: Captain Starr

Thirty years. That’s how long it’s been. Although it still feels like only yesterday when the most memorable years in his life took hold. Time certainly flies when you’re in your prime and it goes without saying that the end approaches too quickly. Despite the past being in the past recounting it to himself has become the number one hobby to former captain, Skipper Starr.

Mr. Starr was a Pegasus Pony with navy blue fur, a pale red mane, and a simple yet shining star in the middle of a lovely oceanic sunset for a cutie mark. The old stallion was currently sitting in his living room, in front of a crackling fire burning in the fireplace, a cup of tea in his hooves, and his favorite old-fashioned jazz music softly emitting from his record player. The musical number playing at the moment featured a beautifully done saxophone solo, making Mr. Starr almost shed a tear in nostalgia. This particular number had been the one that was played at the party celebrating his promotion to the rank of “Captain.”

Starr chuckled to himself as he remembered the outcome of that party.

“My father never let me hear the end of it,” he chuckled.

However, living alone with nothing but his memories didn’t feel fulfilling enough for the old captain. The many different events and adventures he partook in his life were memorable, sure, but only for himself right now. In short, Mr. Starr felt that his memories should be shared in some way, like storytelling. That begs the question: how? Surely the ponies of Equestria these days had better things to do than listen to the old sea tales of a grounded old boat.

Mr. Starr shook his head furiously at that thought. What was he thinking?! He may be old but he was in no way worn out. His “old sea tales” were ones to remember and if the ponies of Equestria didn’t find his stories interesting then that was their problem! Still, it would be nice to recite his memories to an intrigued audience.

That’s not to say he didn’t go through them alone; far from it.

At that thought Mr. Starr looked up. Just above his fireplace was a large portrait depicting himself along with eight other ponies. He stood in the middle with four ponies either side of him. He looked a lot younger in the portrait; with the lack of a graying mane and glasses he had today, and the addition of a bright sky blue captain’s cap with a white feather. To his right was a pudgy Earth Pony with a blue cap, a more muscular Earth Pony with a navy blue cap, a well-dressed Unicorn wearing a black top hat and a monocle, and an elderly yet still athletic Earth Pony with an orange boater hat and glasses. To his left was a tall Pegasus pony with a sailor’s cap and sunglasses, a shorter, younger Earth Pony with a sky blue cap, an even younger Earth Pony with a red cap and some missing teeth, and finally a slim, crouching Pegasus wearing a pair of large goggles.

Mr. Starr gave a sad sigh. “What I wouldn’t give to see them again,” he thought. “Or, at the very least, relive them by sharing their adventures with any pony willing to listen.”

It was at that moment he heard a faint *thump* at his front door.

“Mail’s here,” he said aloud.

Mr. Starr had only resided in Ponyville for a month during his retirement and had gotten used to Miss Ditzy Doo’s antics by this point. With a grunt, he hoisted himself up and slowly walked to his front door. After opening his door, he was greeted to the sight of two cutie marks consisting of groups of bubbles.

“Good morning, Captain Starr!”

Mr. Starr glanced down and saw Ditzy’s walleyed face smiling broadly up at him. He did his best not to laugh at her choice of title, even more so at reminding her that he was retired.

“Good morning, Miss Doo. What’ve you got for me today?”

“Just the usual bills and such,” Ditzy replied as she got up and dusted herself off. “Plus a special letter.”

Mr. Starr may be retired but he still had a bit of strength left in his old bones. Aside from occasional odd jobs he payed bills for the house he lived in, as opposed to living in a retirement home. Ditzy Doo’s last statement caught Mr. Starr’s attention. “A special letter?”

“Yep.” Ditzy then reached her muzzle into her mailbag, pulled out a few envelopes then dropped them into Mr. Starr’s awaiting hoof. One of them was colored a bright pink and wrapped with a magenta ribbon. “Came in shortly before I began my run. I was told to bring it to you as quickly as I could.”

Mr. Starr paused for a moment. “If I may, who did it come from,” he asked?

“It came from Ponyville’s school teacher, Miss Cheerilee,” Ditzy Doo replied.

Mr. Starr had to do a double take on what the mailmare just told him. He had met the kind-hearted Cheerilee only once at the “Welcome To Ponyville!” party that that pink pony, Pinkie Pie if he remembered correctly, had thrown for him when he first arrived in town. He was still recovering from his near-heart attack, resulting from Pinkie’s hyperactive behavior and reality-bending traits, that he hardly interacted with the other locals. Mr. Starr made a mental note to watch his back in the future in case that pink party animal decided to pull a fast one on him again.

Back on the subject of Cheerilee, Mr. Starr was left wondering on what the cerise colored mare could want from him. After thanking Ditzy, entering his office room, and sorting through his other mail, Mr. Starr turned his attention to the colorful envelope that looked more like a party invitation. He carefully untied the ribbon and used his letter opener to cut open the envelope itself. Mr. Starr slid the folded paper out, unfolded it, and began to read the letter proper.

When he read the whole letter, Mr. Starr read it again to make sure his eyes weren’t playing tricks on him. After reading it a third time for good measure, Mr. Starr felt himself begging to smile. His smile kept growing until he was practically grinning from ear to ear.

Mr. Starr allowed himself to laugh wholeheartedly for five full minutes before calming down.

He made his way back to his living room. He made note the fire had burned itself out, but he’ll clean the ashes later. For now, Mr. Starr had a job to do. He then gazed up at the portrait again and said, “This, is where your story makes itself known to the world!”