• Published 29th Nov 2018
  • 675 Views, 6 Comments

What Has Become Of Us? - That_Rando_Cat



Three years of the Royal Guard. One of the longest service times recorded, but something is bothering Flash Sentry. He loves Princess Twilight Sparkle. He doubts his real place in Equestria, until Twilight makes the first move on him.

  • ...
10
 6
 675

A Princess and Her Peers

Flash: I woke up at seven, with Twilight prodding me awake. I looked over, smiling, when she kissed me. I had to get used to this, and even though it was very enjoyable, I just get scared about getting caught. I quickly returned the kiss, leaning into her. She giggled, wrapping her hooves around me as I draped a wing over her. She broke away a long while later, gently putting her head into my chest. “Well, I ought to get ready for the trial,” she mumbled, her voice muffled.

I quickly let her get up, and I just rolled off the bed, unsteady on my feet. My head was still sore, my body was about as clean as a landfill, and there was plenty of dried blood from the injuries I took yesterday. It only hurt because of how I was treated for loving somepony else. Treated like a worthless piece of trash. I walked around uneasily, thinking one of my legs would soon go out. I picked up my scattered armor and moved it to a corner.

“You can go ahead and shower first, Flash. You look quite awful!” called Twilight from her dressing room.

I gave her my thanks and walked into the bathroom. I immediately turned the shower on, letting the water wash away most of the stains. I poured some of the soap onto the spots that definitely needed it, washed out my wings thoroughly, let the water run through my mane, washed that out too, and walked out. I dried off as quickly as I could, and put on my armor. Incredibly lucky you are that no more bones of yours broke, I thought to myself.

When I walked out, Shining walked in. Oh, shit. You just walked out of her goddamn bathroom, he must think something’s up! He did, ran over to me and pinned me up against the wall. “Now what in the hell were you doing in there?”

“Shining, must you try and kill Flash every time you see him?” Twilight shouted from her changing room, poking her head out of the doorway. “You worry too much.”

He quickly dropped me, letting me hit the ground with a thud. I knew I was strong, but I didn’t want to assault Royalty, because he was Twilight’s brother and every time he attacked me I get rather stunned. I was slow to get up, because my head hurt more now than ever. I couldn’t quite see clearly, when Twilight came out in a casual but professional dress. She gasped at my appearance and rushed over.

“Flash, are you okay?” she waved a hand in front of my face, trying to get my attention. I shook my head rapidly, finally coming back to my senses.

“Yes, Twilight, I’m fine,” I said, and was toppled by Twilight’s hug.

“Twily, can you please not get distracted? Last I checked, you were going to the Royal Court for a hearing,” said Shining, trying to get Twilight’s attention. She wouldn’t listen as she kissed me, for no reason at all.

“Look, Flash, I’m sorry for all that Shining has done. Please forgive him. He just doesn’t want me getting hurt,” she whispered, low enough for Shining not to hear.

I nodded quickly, and she promptly got up. “Look, Shining, I know you want to protect me, but you’ve thrown Flash into a wall three times in the past twenty-four hours. I know you’re being protective, but this is just going too far.”

“I know, I know. But Mother made me promise not to let anyone harm you when you became Princess. She had a good reason, too,” said Shining defiantly. “You were fighting evil forces at least once a week, and she became extremely worried that something would happen to you. And, for the record, I am truly sorry.”

Twilight clearly didn’t believe him, but she nodded in acceptance anyways. She looked back down at me, smiling. I just wanted to enjoy that moment for as long I could. But Cadence had also walked in and sighed in joy when she saw the two of us. I blushed as Twilight looked away.

“I’m so happy to see the two of you together, but… Shining, did you harass Flash again?” she asked suspiciously. Shining looked away. “I thought we went over this! Oh, you poor thing, Flash.”

I only smiled weakly at her, which made her blush. Apparently I’m as dashing as Twilight says I am. Shining glared at me. “Look, I know I should stop. But we all know why I did just harass him, and I do truly apologize. But how are the three of you on first-name terms already?”

“I had a little talk with Cadence, and I guess I used Flash’s name enough to make it stuck in her head,” she retorted.

“Oh. Wait… Flash. Flash Sentry?” All three of us nodded. “Oh, I’ve been so stupid! Flash, you were quite the excellent Guard for your age and time spent in the Guard!”

I looked over at him. Is that why he attacked me? He probably beat me up much harder than if I’d told him my name. “Y-yes, Shining. I am Flash Sentry. And why does everyone call me an excellent Guard? I’m just as good as everypony else!”

Twilight just looked down at me again, laughing lightly. Shining was chuckling quite loudly, “Oh Flash, you sell yourself far too short. You have proven yourself beyond any member of the Royal Guard. Never forget that.” He stopped laughing. “And, of course, gotten my sister to fall for you. I never would have expected that.”

I smiled. “Oh, but it did. Never forget the miracles love can do,” I said, and Twilight kissed my cheek. Cadence let out a short “awwww” and Shining just turned and left. He turned around as he was about to leave. “Celestia’s stopping by in about an hour, so if you two could get out whatever you have in you before she comes here?”

He was clearly trying to protect us now, as Cadence nodded vigorously along with what he was saying. “Do not forget, this is against most laws of love, so please try to keep it hidden,” said Cadence desperately.

I nodded, but Twilight forcefully pulled my onto my hooves. “Yes, we will. Now if you two could please leave?” she asked just as desperately. They complied, Cadence looking back hesitantly.

“Flash. I talked with Cadence a little bit last night. I had to ask her all the questions about our relationship, like if we’re not meant for each other, what if you cheat on me, what if-” I cut her off by Flash putting a hoof on my lips. We were now sitting on the edge of my bed, and she kissed my hoof before pulling it down.

“Twilight, you don’t need to worry about me cheating on you. You can be assured I will do no such thing related to that. And we are meant for each other. Why else would we keep meeting?” I said, trying to reassure her.

“I know, Flash, I know. But what if something happens to the two of us? What if-” I cut her off by wrapping my front legs around her, and, for once, I kissed her first. She wrapped her hooves around my neck and I put one of my against the back of her head. She fell backwards as I fell onto her, and she only giggled joyfully as she unclasped my armor using her magic. “Oh, we just don’t need it if we’re going to be doing this,” she said.

We just stayed that way for the next half an hour before she just pulled away and flipped us over, so she was on top. She just rested her head on my chest as she asked, “Why did you stop me?”

“Well, I figured the last thing you need is to get emotional before the court hearing, which, is now, in about three and a half hours,” I said, softly stroking Twilight’s mane. She sighed softly, which I guess meant I had successfully comforted her. She fell asleep on top of me shortly, and both of us forgot Celestia was coming over soon. When she knocked, Twilight lazily said “come in,” still waking up, and when Celestia saw us, she was startled and furious.

TWILIGHT?! WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING?!” she screamed, pulling Twilight off of me with her magic, and threw me against a wall. When I hit the wall, I cried out in pain, and started to actually cry at the unfairness of the universe. Celestia towered over me, her eyes a blazing fury of everything that she held true.

“C-C-Celestia, I-I can explain my-myself,” said Twilight, sobbing.

No, Twilight. I’ll have this-” she kicked my stomach, making me reel in pain, “-Guard explain himself to me. If I’m merciful, I’ll let him live a life in prison.”

“Look, Celestia, I-I… don’t know how to explain. But I swear on my life I will,” I said, desperately trying to make her see reason.

“Oh, yes, Guard. You will swear on your life before I take it with my own hooves,” she said rather darkly.

Twilight cried even harder when she heard Celestia say this. Well, I’ve had a good run, my luck was stretched as far as it could have gone. Celestia, no! I… I…,” Twilight faltered under the gaze of Celestia. She cried, “I LOVE HIM!!” sobbing hysterically now. It made Celestia falter, breaking her magical grip on both of us. She ran over to me, hugging me tightly, both of us crying. Wow. That worked.

“Well… I… I… oh, Twilight, I’m sorry. I truly am,” said Celestia. “You both know this will not work out, right?”

Twilight nodded quickly, her head still in my shoulder as I stared at the Princess of the Sun, Princess Celestia, weakened by somepony else’s devotion to the other. “We were both aware, Your Highness,” I said, trying to control myself.

She looked away, ashamed at what she had done. Then she gained her rather Royal composure. “Twilight, if would like to, you can take leave of this Court hearing. You… may be biased. But, I could put in some words from you,” she offered.

Twilight let go of me and looked at her. “Oh… well, I’d just like to tell you to remember that love is not... governed by simple laws. It is a force greater than something described in a single sentence. It is one word for an infinite amount of feelings, and that should not be judged by any laws, and if so, then it is truly unfair.”

“Yes, I understand that, Twilight, as I have loved so many over my life. But, I must act as any normal Court hearing. I will work to change this law, but it will take a very long time to change a law almost as old as the kingdom of Canterlot itself, and the areas of Canterlot. I will let this incident pass along with future ones, but only I will allow it. I will not try to convince my sister, nor anyone else, and if you are caught, the least I could do for you two would be to give you a rather short prison sentence, because I could not break my student’s heart over some silly rule,” said Celestia, giving both me and Twilight a spark of hope for our future.

“Oh, thank you Celestia!” said Twilight as she quickly gave her a hug. “And, we both apologize for this, truly.”

“No need, Twilight. You have already been forgiven. There have been plenty of scandals as such in the past, anyways,” she said, laughing mildly.

She thanked her repeatedly, following her as she walked calmly out of the room. And how the hell does her hair always flow like that? I asked myself. Oh, some things just cannot be explained. Twilight ran back to me, hugging me tightly again. “Oh, Flash, please forgive me!”

“Oh, what for, Twilight?” I asked, laying a hoof on her back.

She cried into my shoulder. “Flash, it’s my fault you’re hurting! Every time we’ve been caught together, you’ve been hurt severely! And I haven’t been hurt once! It’s just not fair!”

He smiled sadly. Oh, Twilight, I’ve hurt you more than you’ve hurt me.

“Did you say something, Flash?” she asked, and I mentally face-hoofed.

“I said I hurt you more than you’ve hurt me,” I said, as she looked me in the eyes.

“Flash, you’ve fixed me more than you’ve hurt me. Why would ever think that?” she asked, looking at me like I had just slapped her. “You helped me get back to health, gave me more than friendship and everything else.”

She led me back to the bed and kissed me fiercely. I kissed her back, and fell onto the mattress. I wrapped my wings around her, she wrapped her forelegs around me as we spent the next few minutes like this, just trying to make up to each other. When she broke the kiss, I noticed she was crying the whole time. I wiped away her tears with a wing. “Oh, Twilight, don’t cry.”

She looked up at me, weeping. “O-oh, Flash, I-I-I sh-should! I’ve c-caused m-most of o-our problems!” she cried, burying her face in my chest.

“Twilight, it is neither of our faults,” I soothed.

“No, Flash! Ih-It’s mine! I c-couldn’t hold b-back uh-up in the cl-clouds!” she said, muffled, as her face was still firmly planted in my chest.

“Oh, no, Twilight. Don’t apologize. It is truly fine with me. If you hadn’t kissed me, we probably wouldn’t be in love, have realized that we shared the same feelings,” I said, lifting her chin. “You will always be my somepony special Twilight. No matter what. No matter how many times you cry into my chest, how many times I’ll be beat up, no matter how long we’ll be apart.”

She stopped me, putting a hoof on my lips. I looked at her in surprise as she kissed me again, softly. “Well, Flash, you should get something to eat. I doubt you’ve had anything since breakfast yesterday.” My stomach gurgled right after she said that. “Point proven,” she chuckled.

I blushed, and walked into the Princess’s kitchen. I quick fried up some eggs, wolfed them down, and sat there for a while. I eventually got up and walked back to the bedroom. She was laying on the bed, still as stone. Too still. I rushed over, and her eyes were glazed over, her mouth hanging slightly open. “Oh, Celestia, no!” I shouted, starting to cry.

Suddenly, she disappeared, along with the rest of the room. I fell through a void until I reached a plaza, with a crowd jeering. It was me, put in shackles under a guillotine, with Twilight crying near my side. I was standing in the crowd.

“This Guard has disrespected and mistreated the Princess! We will now be performing a public execution to show the rest of you foals what happens when they fall in love-” Celestia paused, spitting in front of me- “with the Princess!”

Before they dropped the blade upon my neck, the scene changed again. This time, it was on the war front. It was snowing pretty badly. An army of ponies against the Changelings were at the front, the Six Elements backing them up. I saw myself fighting, pushing through the crowd. I saw myself run over to a fallen pony. I remembered him, he was choking and coughing out his own blood on the battlefield. He whispered something in my ear before taking his final breath, and with that, I let out a hoarse cry and flew into a rage, stabbing the Changelings faster than anypony could say “hay.”

I woke back up, on the floor, with Twilight’s arm around my shoulders. She was trying to soothe me as I jumped back. “Flash, what happened?” she asked, looking very worried.

“I… I… I had a nightmare, but a thousand times worse than any normal one I’ve had. It started by me walking into you room and finding you dead, lying on your bed. I cried out, but fell through a void to a plaza surrounded by ponies. They were calling for my head. I was about to be publicly executed, and then the scene changed again. It was me fighting the army of Changelings. I saw my best friend. Choking on his own blood, dying in my arms. I got up in a rage, and killed over a hundred Changelings,” I said, almost losing the tears that welled up in my eyes. “I… don’t know what caused it, Twilight. I just don’t.”

She looked at me with sorrowful eyes. “The past events may have caused it. The stress, the worry, and the war may have left a little bit of a delayed a slight post-traumatic stress disorder. It should end soon, but I don’t know of the one where you experienced you or me dying.”

I rubbed my eyes groggily. “Post-traumatic… what?

She smiled at my forgetfulness. “It’s what ponies experience after certain types of fights, such as long periods of intense bloody battle-filled war. We were treated for it before we could even prove we did or didn’t have it, we Elements of Harmony. Apparently you haven’t even heard of it before.”

“No, you’re right. Maybe we haven’t heard about, and the Guard who committed suicide after the fight a couple days ago-” I was cut off by Twilight’s gasp.

“Committed suicide?!” she asked, rather surprised. “That’s awful!”

“I know, but at the same time, I kind of expected it. As I look back, I do realize he wasn’t the cheeriest guard ever. And he was collapsing mentally a few weeks prior, but we just brushed it off. We should have done something,” I said, mentally kicking myself. Of course you should have some damn thing about it! And you can’t change that now!

“Oh, Flash, if I’d have known, I would have imposed PTSD treatment or at least a mental psychology check up for Guards!” she exclaimed, resting her head on my shoulder. “You should really tell me about this stuff sooner. You know I have Royal influence.”

“Yes, Twilight. It’s like some ponies won’t live that down,” I said, rather sadly. “I ought to get back to being a Guard.”

I tried to stand up, but Twilight held me down. “You and I both know that you are in no condition to go back to guarding me,” she said, and, looking away, “and it’s not because you and I both know we want each other.”

I kissed the top of her head gently and held her, the sunlight filtering through the windows. You’re going to be dangerous if you have nightmares like those again. You, Twilight, or anyone won’t be safe if you’re around them. I sighed at the thought.

Twilight got up and gestured for me to follow her. She laid me down on her bed. “You need rest Flash. I’ll let you sleep here for as many nights as you need.”

I nodded, but she said that because she would probably need me as well. Well, it’s not the worst case scenario, but it would be difficult for us to explain why I sleep in her room. “Twilight, you know I won’t be here much longer.”

She only nodded in agreement, as I found sleep came rather quickly when you were beaten up multiple times in a twenty-four hour period, how a relationship could be so tiring, especially when it came to comforting a Princess. I couldn’t complain, she was absolutely dazzling. With that thought, I went to sleep, and felt a warm presence beside him.

Twilight:

I watched as he fell asleep, his sides slowly rising and falling. He looked rather cute, and I couldn’t help myself. I crawled in bed with him, snuggling up to him. He smiled slightly, the only que I had that it was okay, I guess. I soon fell asleep, my body pressed against his, my face against his chest.

I woke up, startled by the gasp of Princess Celestia. She ran in, grabbed Flash, pinned me down with magic, and threw Flash against the wall. I cried out, but Celestia paid no attention. She grabbed his spear and threw it right into his throat. Then, suddenly, it began to go backwards in slow motion, finally warping out of existence with another scene playing.

This time, Flash stood in front of me, protecting me from a large group of ponies who were clearly calling for my head as I stood before a nervous-looking mare. She looked up, her eyes wet with tears. “You defy me of my love for a Royal stallion? How could you?” she asked hysterically. The crowd kept pushing onwards, while more Guards rushed in to deal with the matter. When one of the rioters tackled me, I promptly kicked him off, running to the nearest exit, where I found the gravesite. Flash stood beside one, one that read, “For Whom Thou Shalt Never Falter With Memory From Past Time” with a scratched out name, and the rows of the same ones appeared over vast field.

He looked up at me, sorrowful, and said, “Look at your reality. This is how Canterlot lives. The shadows of our dark past can never be shaken, but the future can change. The past divided us, the future can merge us. If you do not do anything, the Order in which life follows will break, leaving the country of Equestria to fall to its knees and beg for forgiveness. Only then you will realize that your faults were not your own, but your ancestors’ choices, which define what you are, but not what you will be. You will cease to understand the universe, but learn the logic of life. You will vanish from history, and have everyone know your name. You will go down as a poor leader, and everyone will praise your name as you lead them into an anarchy led by you. The future begins now, Twilight, and the ones who will help you will come in the most expected and unseen as the reality you know becomes a broken, whole, shattered, and fixed world. The contradictory ponies meet the reasonable rule-breakers, the outlaws become the leaders of a revolution that takes your world by storm and dies away faster than a blown out candle. You will beg at the knees of the gods and goddesses of the universe, and ask one question not even they can answer, but you will answer theirs in return as with yours. You will travel so far to reach something so close, and you will travel to the most foreign land you hold dear and close to your heart. And when you finish begging, will you begin to change things for the better. Only when your kingdom cripples will it rebuild itself, and when you face your greatest fears will you find true happiness and courage. I leave you now, Twilight, but remember this: the time to change is now, before your kingdom revolts and falls into chaos and goes down in history as the greatest success story turned sour by a Princess and her peers who refused change of the course of the future because of intolerance and refusal to change, for the old is not new, and what becomes new will be as old.” He was given the seven-gun salute and dissipated, leaving me alone, when the graves turned into grey ponies who swarmed me, demanding the change of law in the name of love.

I woke with a scream, while Flash just held me in his wings, letting me cry. “Twilight, did you have bad dreams?” he asked, soothing me.

I only nodded into his chest, sobbing. I recounted my entire nightmare. Flash dying, rioting ponies, and the entire rather prophetic quote. The most gruesome was the infinite rows of headstones, for it symbolized the mortality of a kingdom and the immortality of time itself. Change must take place, but how? I can’t lead a full out revolution, the Guard is too powerful. I could try and convince Flash to help me, but I can’t guarantee it. But he probably wants as much change as you.

“Hey, Flash, can you grab my notebook?” I asked in a rather soft voice.

He nodded, let go of me, got up, and trotted over to my study and picked up the notebook along with a pencil. It had plenty of little papers sticking out of it, the seventh thousand-page long notebook that I have, the previous six filled up with notes. I had to quickly write down the message sent through the dream. He was giving me privacy, which I sent a quick thank you through my thoughts.

When I finished, I handed the notebook back to him. He set it down on the desk and walked back over to me. “Need anything else?”

I nodded my head quickly. “I need you, Flash,” I said desperately.

He got back into my bed hesitantly, but I pulled him down rather quickly, resting the side of my head on his chest. “I love you, Flash Sentry,” I said. “I just needed to tell you this now, when we’re not in a life or death moment like earlier.”

“And I love you, too, Twilight Sparkle. Never forget that,” he said, smiling warmly.

I quickly kissed the side of his head. “Flash, I’m truly sorry for how I’ve acted these past few weeks. They really have been emotional, if anything, too emotional.”

He shook his head. “No, Twilight. You clearly needed it, even if it was excessive, and never apologize for something like this again.”

I nodded slowly, and put my head back on his shoulder, sighing in agreement. I did need that, and I guess I’ll have to convince Flash on siding with me. This will take research. And the part about traveling far for something so close. You must remember that.

He wrapped an arm around me, pulling the rest of my body closer to his. I nuzzled the side of his head, and laid my head on top of his shoulder. “Hopefully we don’t get caught again,” I said lazily.

“You and I, Twilight,” he replied, stretching out. We laid there for a half an hour before Flash stood up. “I guess I should go back to my room, drop off my armor, clean up, whatever else.”

I nodded in agreement. When he walked out, he bumped into somepony, and looked back at me quizzically. He walked out and the pony he met walked in. It was Princess Luna, standing regally. “Twilight, why weren’t you at the hearing? I know that you had a pardon from my sister, but for what?”

“Look, I… she let me pass on this one. I hadn’t really prepared enough, and she thought that I wouldn’t be able to handle myself,” I said, trying to convince her. She didn’t buy it.

“Who was the Guard back there? What’s his name?” she asked, intrigued.

“His name’s Flash, and has been helping me out a lot recently,” I said all too happily, and Luna gave a sly smile.

“He means something to you, doesn’t he?” she asked, and I blushed immediately. “Oh-ho! And how much?”

“A lot!” I said without thinking, and she laughed.

“Oh, good! Look, I won’t tell anypony, not even Celestia, but she clearly knows. Did she try and kill him?” she asked.

“Uhm, probably?” I said warily. “She did barge in and throw him against a wall, which makes it... four-ish times he’s been slammed against one in twenty-four hours.”

She nodded sorrowly. “My sister does not forgive easily. However, it does look like she made an exception for you. She once had a colleague of hers get used by a worthless stallion. After that, she made sure Royalty followed the rules of love. But it seems like she knows that, uhm, Flash, was it?” she asked and I nodded, “Is a good match for you.”

I laughed. “Yeah. My brother was like that, but much worse. He absolutely beat on him. Bad enough that they had to take him to the infirmary,” I said, my voice going cold. “I mean, I know the laws, but the way he acted was like Flash had tried to kill me. He literally threw him against the wall, twice, the second time we was provoked. But, still, the way some ponies act because they think something else is going on when they fall in love is kind of ridiculous.”

Luna looked at me like I just swore in front of her. “It’s obvious, isn’t it? Others just want to protect each other, even if it is an overreaction, they just care for you.”

At that moment, Flash appeared in the doorway, with rather casual clothes on. I ran up to him and gave him a hug. “You know Luna is right behind you right?” he whispered, nervously looking behind me.

Luna laughed. “Oh, Flash, no need to worry. I’m not like my sister. I won’t punish you for caring for Twilight. Just, keep it a secret? I know a couple ponies know about it, just try to keep this a secret from the whole damn kingdom?”

“Y-Yes, Your Highness. We will,” said Flash, taken aback by her statement.

She nodded and left, muttering something along the lines of “ahh, young love” while Flash and I were in the room alone, again. How many times will it happen where I must resist the temptation to just kiss him every time I see him? “Uhm, Twilight? Is there anything you need from me?” he asked.

I nodded. I was about to kiss him again when there was a knock at the door. “Who is it?” I called, when a servant opened the door.

Flash:

“Princess Celestia has invited you to a Royal dinner tonight. I just came to drop off the letter, Your Highness,” he said, bowing low.

“Thank you very much. I’ll just take the letter, and you can go and be on your way,” said Twilight hurriedly.

He left promptly, and Twilight spun on me. “Care to join me? Just, you know, wear your armor so it doesn’t look too suspicious,” asked Twilight rather desperately. “I do enjoy them, but when it comes to talking about political whatevers, it makes me uncomfortable.”

I nodded in understanding. It would look rather suspicious if I showed up without armor on, and was accompanying the Princess in the current clothes I’m wearing. She just made me walk over to a couch along the wall and sat down, gesturing for me to do the same. I had to comply. When I sat down, she rested her head on my shoulder.

“Three hours before the guests arrive, so that leaves about two and a half hours to do whatever we want. Seriously, whatever,” she said, looking up at me.

“Well, we could go for another fly. I wouldn’t mind it,” I said hopefully. I didn't take the hint, and a little spark of hope died in her eyes.

She nodded. “Can we just sit here for a while? I would like to enjoy the silence before the party,” she asked, almost pleading to stay. I nodded.

For the next ten minutes we just sat there, enjoying each other’s presence, before Twilight got up. “Well, where would you like to go?”

I stood up and walked out onto the balcony. “Well, I was thinking about doing what we did last time. Get up to the roof, take a break, get to a cloud?”

She nodded in agreement. “I’ll just try not to die this time,” she said lightly.

I took off, Twilight following close behind. It took no time to get to the rooftop, and when we got up we looked around for a cloud. “Over… there.” said Twilight, trying to catch her breath, pointing behind me. Sure enough, there was one. We flew up to it, Twilight struggling to keep up, so I slowed down so she could catch up to me. We flew at her pace up to the cloud. But we weren’t alone.

“R-Rainbow Dash?” gasped Twilight, flopping over on her side. The blue mare looked up quickly.

“Oh, Twilight, it’s so good to see you again! But, uh, who the hell is he?” she asked suspiciously.

“He’s the Guard... assigned to me,” said Twilight, trying to catch her breath again.

She looked me over, putting a hoof to my chest. “Nice to meet you,” she said, smiling slyly. “Your Guard is quite handsome, Twilight.”

I blushed nervously. “Oh, come on. You’ve never been flattered before? Come on, how do mares not notice you? Your eyes and hair are a beautiful stark contrast to your orange coat and wings,” she said, leaning into me.

And then, without reason, kissed me. Twilight looked murderous as she flung herself at Rainbow Dash. She kicked her in the face and tackled her, beating the shit out of her. I had to grab her and hold her back from killing Rainbow Dash. She turned on me and slapped me across the face, drawing blood. She looked scared as she said, “O-oh, Flash I’m-” and was cut off by me scowling deeply.

“What the actual fuck was that for Twilight?” asked Rainbow Dash as she stood up, spitting blood.

“I-I-I… Flash is already my coltfriend, Rainbow. I’m s-sorry, please d-don’t be mad at m-me,” she said, crying in shame near the end.

I just stood by as Rainbow walked calmly up to her. “Twilight, you didn’t have to beat me up for it! He just looked rather lonely. I figured he could use somepony in his life. Turns out he already had somepony better than me.”

She hugged Twilight, who was saying sorry over and over to Rainbow, whose bleeding was slowing rapidly. She’s a pegasus, too. She looked over at me shyly as she wrapped an arm around Twilight, rubbing her shoulder.

I walked over and sat down besides Twilight who hugged me. “Look, Flash, I’m sorry for hitting you,” she said as I rubbed her back. Rainbow Dash just looked away. With… sorrow? “But I’d like to thank you for intervening.”

“Twilight, it’s truly fine. It’s not that bad anymore, really,” I said, looking over at Rainbow, who started to cry softly.

I walked over to Rainbow and asked, “What’s wrong? Oh, and… nopony can know that me and Twilight love other, okay?” I asked desperately.

She nodded in understanding. “Yes, I can keep this a secret. But I need you two to keep mine. Okay?” Me and Twilight nodded. “Okay, well, truth is, I had a coltfriend before I came up here. He ditched me a week ago, saying we weren’t going to work out. I really thought that we… h-had something g-going!”

She started to sob and hugged me, Twilight coming over and put her arm around Rainbow. “Look, it’s going to be okay. You’ll find who you’re special somepony is eventually Rainbow, no matter how long it takes.”

Rainbow sniffled. “I can really tell he’s a good stallion for you Twilight. He is really, quite nice. Hey, come see me sometime?” Twilight shot her an evil glare. “What? I’d just like to talk to him. He’s likable, just like somepony I can open up to.” I smiled warmly as she gave me a hug.

Suddenly, a force knocked the wind out of my lungs, sacked Rainbow, and almost stabbed Twilight before I kicked out in rage. The pony flew backwards as I charged up to him, grabbed his weapon, put him in a headlock with the blade up to his neck. “Who the hell are you?” I asked furiously. Twilight stared at me in shock and Rainbow struggled to get the bag off of her head.

He laughed darkly with a crossbow aimed at Twilight’s heart. How did I not notice it? I quickly slid the blade deeply into his neck, and he pulled the trigger. I blocked the arrow with a hind leg, but it sunk deeply as I howled in pain, blood flowing freely. Twilight rushed over and saw the blood flowing freely, while Rainbow just looked at me with hollow eyes.

“Flash? Did you…?” she asked nervously, looking at the dead pony.

“Yes, Rainbow. He would have killed us all. And-” she flew over to his body, weeping.

“Oh, my love! My sweet Indigo! What have you become? A murderer and a thief!” she cried.

Twilight kissed my cheek and pulled out the arrow, causing me to scream in pain. I laid down on my side, trying to lessen the blood flow, while Twilight tried to carry my back to the castle. “Twilight, it’s no good.”

Rainbow came over and lifted me up quickly. “Oh, Twilight, he is the perfect coltfriend for you.” They both carried me back to the castle.

I was rushed to the infirmary, where they quickly bandaged up and treated my wound. I remember seeing a black pony look over me and followed me to my bed. He sat down in a chair as the doctors rushed around me. He ordered them to step back, and his horn glowed brightly, and I had to close my eyes. When I opened them, the wound was no longer there, my headache was gone, and my leg wasn’t broken anymore. He smiled warmly and said, “You’re quite welcome,” and walked ominously out of the room. The rest of the doctors looked rather uncomfortable as I stood up.

I walked out and saw him sitting at one of the chairs, flipping through one of the magazines. He looked up from his article and gave me another warm smile. “Yes, I’m a Time Lord, no, you don’t have to thank me,” he said kindly, trying to shoo me away. I had to comply.

I walked back over to Twilight’s room, but a couple Guards were waiting outside. “Well, she doesn’t want anypony to come in except- oh! Flash Sentry, sir! The Princess wants to see you.”

When I walked in and closed the door, Prince Shining Armor was trying to comfort her sister, who was sitting on a couch, crying. “Shining, if I’d been paying attention, he wouldn’t have another wound!” she exclaimed.

“Oh, Twilight, don’t cry. He’s going to be fine. He was one of my best Guards, and he really did his job,” said Shining, soothing Twilight, but as soon as her eyes met mine, she flew over and kissed me, knocking me over, and we tumbled over each other.

“O-Oh, Flash, it’s m-my fault!” she cried, burying her face into my neck, crying.

I stroked her mane, telling her that I’m really fine, it was nothing, I’m here, telling her to stop talking, telling her to stop worrying. Shining looked over sadly. He and I both knew she would always blame herself, even if she had nothing to do with it.

“Twilight, look at me,” I said sternly, her eyes rising to meet mine. “You have done nothing wrong. It was purely my fault. I wasn’t paying enough attention, which is why I myself got hurt. You have done nothing wrong,” I repeated, and she buried her face into my neck again. “Twilight, you must control yourself if you are to be presentable at the Royal meeting tonight.”

Shining got up. “I know, I’ve tried to tell her that. Maybe she’s just cross at me for beating on you earlier,” he said, trying not to meet my stare. “I don’t blame her either.”

“Look, Shining, it really is okay. I don’t blame you, and I’m fine now, anyways,” I said, trying to reassure him.

He nodded as Twilight tried to gain control of herself, only to go back to crying softly into my neck. “I’ve been such a wreck lately. I’ve gotten us in trouble more than enough, I caused trouble for others, and I can’t control my emotions!”

Her cry was muffled, thankfully. I gently stroked her star-spotted mane. She slowly calmed down from there. I could understand why she was stressed. She’s trying to hide something not easily hidden, she’s dealing with tough decisions in the Court, and an entire kingdom in counting on her to lead them.

I looked up, my fur near soaked from her tears. Shining had fallen asleep on the couch, looking rather dopey, and Twilight’s silent sobs had stopped, having fallen asleep on me, replaced with a steady breathing. I laughed, realizing how similar they both are. Hell, the way they sleep is similar, with one arm stuck out and their hind legs folded inwards. It was rather adorable, especially in Twilight’s case. An hour before dinner, Luna came back to check in on us, but of course I had no idea it was her, so when she came in, I jumped a little. Thankfully, Twilight didn’t wake up.

“Oh, hi, Flash. I was just coming to check in on Twilight,” she said softly, glancing between Shining, Twilight and I. “Looks like everything is fine?”

I nodded quickly, trying not to arouse Twilight. “How do you think she’ll fare with tonight’s dinner/meeting crossover?”

She glanced back at me. “I truly don’t know. We were just going to go along with it. And, by all means, take no offense, but I doubt you’d know much,” she said, trying not to be judgemental.

I nodded. “I understand. But… how long will it last? I don’t need Twilight having another mental breakdown. She’s been through quite enough, and I don’t know how much more she can take.”

She turned around and rested a hoof on my shoulder, trying not to bump Twilight. “Flash, I know you can take care of her, and I understand how you feel towards her. But remember, she needs to push herself, otherwise she will not be able to become a better leader,” and kissed my cheek. “No, Flash, I do not love you, but accept it as a token of gratitude. Help her as you see fit.”

And with that, she wheeled around quickly and left silently. There was still fifty minutes until we had to go, and I thought of how lucky I am to have made it this far. I can understand Cadence and Shining not caring, and somehow, even Captain Strong Wind, but Celestia and Luna? There was a Court hearing for two lovers who weren’t following the law, and both Twilight and I are breaking it further than they had. But, maybe, being a Princess does give slight leverage. As long as nopony else knows. Except Rainbow Dash, because she’s Twilight’s friend.

With forty minutes to go, I had to get Twilight up for the dinner party. When I did, she twitched and groaned uncomfortably as she got up, looked at me with a rather angry face, and kissed me. “Oh, Flash, my love, why did you wake me? It was the most comfortable sleep I’ve had.”

I just jerked my head in the direction of the clock, and apologized for being cross with me. I went and woke up Shining, who muttered silently, “Please, just five more minutes, Twilight.” I laughed slightly, walking away. So she’s been rather pestering her whole life, then?

I went back to my room to grab my armor. I polished it quickly, making it shine brighter than the full moon, and went back to Twilight’s room, armor on and spear in hoof. I guess I ought to get back to my job, now that I feel better.
When I got there, the Guards had cleared out, leaving the hallway rather empty. When I opened the door, I saw Twilight sitting on the edge of a bed, looking at the ground. She had chosen her dress as the one she used for the coronation ceremony. The crown on top of her head was gleaming, her eyes were sparkling, her mane was combed, her wings looked perfect, and everything about her looked in control.

I sat down next to her, laying my spear on the ground. She looked at it warily, as if it might turn on us and hold us hostage. I tried not to notice her distress, but I couldn’t help it. I wrapped an arm around her as she laid her head on my shoulder. “You’ll be fine tonight, Twilight. You have nothing to worry about.”

She nodded silently. “And, if anything, just try to enjoy yourself, okay? Nothing is going to happen,” I added.

She smiled weakly, and got up to talk to Shining. He had a silver-lined black tuxedo, which somehow looked good on him. Both Shining and Twilight went out, me following close behind. When we arrived at the room, there were a couple Nobles from Manehatten and Las Pegasus with more arriving. Shining walked over to Cadence with Twilight following close behind.I was about to follow her, but I just positioned myself where I was.

“Hello,” said a soft voice behind me. I turned around, and it was one of the Manehatten nobles.

“Oh, uhm, hello, Your Highness,” I replied, bowing quickly. He laughed.

“There is no need for that here. This is a dinner party, not a meeting. Well… kind of both, y’know?” he asked, and I chuckled nervously.

“I know, Sir, uh, what’s your name again?” I asked.

“Juniper Sky, my good friend,” he said, shaking my hoof.

“Okay! Well, Sir Juniper Sky, I’ll see you around!” I called, shaking his in return and walking into the dining hall.

I positioned myself right next the opening, letting the rest of the ponies in. When the last one came in, the doors closed, and I was left standing awkwardly alone. There wasn’t another Guard in the room, which was weird. I’d think there’d be at least some protection, besides me. “Oh, well, we should at least invite the poor fellow to dine with us!” said one of the Royals. The whole table nodded in agreement, and Juniper Sky invited me to sit beside him. I complied, taking the seat next to him.

A servant came around, offering water and wine. Well, probably shouldn’t get drunk tonight. I ordered water along with a few others, but the rest ordered the wine. I’ll have a small glass later. When I’m full, if it’s offered again that is.
“So, before we begin, could we all agree to not argue over whatever there is to argue over? We need to discuss rather important things and work it out,” called Celestia, sitting at one end of the table.

Most of the nobility nodded in agreement, and started on the economic status of their cities. They all seemed to be fine, just a couple empty spots that could be filled quickly. They then went on to talk about the equality. “I just really wish that everypony could get along, differences aside.”

“Yes, it is quite a shame. I know that the Earth ponies do enjoy their jobs, because it does give them dignity, but even then, they are harassed far to much,” said one of the Royals. She had a white coat with grey wings, and sea-green eyes. “Even if we would like to think everypony is treated with the same respect they show others.”

Luna shook her head sadly. “I know it is, but we can do only so much about it. Times are changing, as we can see, and others seem to be stuck in the past. We must encourage future generations to get along with each other.”

The whole table nodded in agreement, some pulling out notepads to write down ideas. Then with that, the rest of the table went into their own little conversations. Twilight was laughing merrily with a glass of wine in her hoof, with a mare from Las Pegasus, telling her a ridiculous story of how one of her friends had won big at a casino but forgot to collect his win. Celestia was talking in a quiet voice to a smaller stallion, who looked rather serious. Luna was walking over to her sister, looking rather worried.

“Well, Flash, anything on your mind? This dinner was to discuss what others had on their mind, to help other gain new ideas,” Juniper Sky said, trying to get me to say something.

“I know it’s not my place to decide, but has anypony ever thought about changing the law of love? We had a Court hearing today about this, but… what’s wrong with that?” I asked.

“I had hoped you’d bring this up. Luna said times are changing, and they certainly are. We try to avoid this due to the, well, odd birth defects, if you will? Say a unicorn and a pegasus mate, their child could have wings and magical powers, but no horn. You see where I am going?” I nodded in agreement. “And if it had been an Earth pony and not a pegasus, the child could be the same, or it could turn out the same, just without the wings. The combinations are endless, and it could be dangerous, unpredictable, and others would frown upon it.”

“Yes, but… if you do truly love one another, why stop them over small things like that? Well, not really small, but for all we know, nothing like that would even happen,” I countered.

“True, true, we haven’t heard of anything like this yet, but both parents work together to help their child grow, do they not? If an Earth pony father and a unicorn mother try to teach their child, who is a unicorn, only the mother could teach her child magic,” he replied.

“But, couldn’t you hire somepony else to teach the foal magic? I mean, it would create job opportunities…” I said, and Juniper did nod along, quickly writing down what I said. At that moment, the food had been brought out. Heavy steaks with a mushroom-onion mix to go along, an assortment of greens, vegetables and fruits, three whole turkeys, and a bowl of gravy. Soon, everypony's plates were filled, the water and wine was offered again, and I took a small glass of wine. I finished my plate, when I noticed Twilight take her fourth glass of wine. I sipped from my glass sadly, enjoying the sweet burning taste of the wine go down my throat. Cheers to the winery who made this. It’s excellent, and I ought to get the name of it. I might have to order a bottle!
The conversations went on for a good hour before the party dispersed. The most interesting conversation, besides the one I had with Juniper, was the Guards. Each city was going to implement a new recruit system, bringing in more Guards, along with Canterlot. Twilight looked a little tipsy. More than a little, I thought, and I quickly walked over to her. “Hey, Twilight, are you okay?”

“Hm? Oh, yes, of course, Flash. If you don’t mind, I’d like you to -hic- take me back to my room,” she said, leaning heavily on me.

Shining also walked with us, and when we got to her room, he said good night and went back to his room. Twilight asked me to stay with her. I obliged, and when I walked in, she kissed me. This is dangerous, Flash. She’s drunk and you know it.
So what? It can’t get that bad. Oh, how wrong I was. She practically threw me down on the bed and flung herself on top of me. She forced us under the covers, her lips still on mine. Damnit, I had to admit I enjoyed it, but I knew it was wrong in so many ways. When she wrapped her arms around my neck, I put a hoof on her cheek. I had to stop it, but I didn’t want to hurt her feelings. Shit. I’m in a tight situation.
I pulled away, which was the sensible thing, but Twilight tried to pull me back in. “Twily, no. Not tonight. You’re clearly not acting like yourself, and you know somewhere in there that this is wrong. I’m sorry,” I said, quickly hopping out of bed. She looked on the verge of tears.

“I-I… Flash, I may be slightly -hic-” I looked at her crossly. “Okay, very drunk, but I won’t try anything, I promise. Please, Flash.”

I nodded, took off my armor, and got back in her bed. She kissed me, turned her back to me, and cozied up to my body. So this is what one part of true love is. Forgiving each other for whatever happens, I thought, quickly falling asleep with Twilight in my arms.

Author's Note:

I'm literally a step above a block of wood when it comes to relationships. I don't actually know how they go about. That, and I'm only fourteen. Freshman in High School, damnit. Doesn't mean I can't try and percieve this in my own views. Meh. Oh, and, if you care enough, post your favorite song below in a comment! Making a Spotify playlist and am looking for suggestions! As well as criticism. I really do want some criticism. So I can really... enhance the story, so to speak.