• Published 29th Nov 2018
  • 671 Views, 6 Comments

What Has Become Of Us? - That_Rando_Cat



Three years of the Royal Guard. One of the longest service times recorded, but something is bothering Flash Sentry. He loves Princess Twilight Sparkle. He doubts his real place in Equestria, until Twilight makes the first move on him.

  • ...
10
 6
 671

Why Am I Like This?

Flash: I stared at myself in the mirror. Three years of serving the Guard. I’m really proud. The best I could ever hope for. But just a couple months ago, I fell for a Princess. Not just any Princess, but Princess Twilight Sparkle. We kept meeting in the halls at the Crystal Empire, before I was transferred here, for whatever reason, and were always bumping into each other. The first time was really embarrassing, because she fell on her back like she hit a brick wall. My face flushed red, as I could feel the warmth spreading to my cheeks. I quickly helped her up, and it was fine for about a week, but the same damn thing happened again! I thought to myself, By Celestia, what is going on?! I immediately apologized, but she was completely fine and forgave me. I was snapped back to attention by somepony opening the door. It was Captain Strong Wind. Horse apples! Normally this is bad!

“Good morning Captain, sir!” I saluted, which got a hearty chuckle out of him.

“At ease, soldier. I just came up here to tell you that you were reassigned as a personal Guard for Princess Twilight,” he said, in a deep voice.

“F-for the P-princess? I am deeply honored, sir!” I said, stuttering early on, as I cursed internally.

“You should be, for I could not think of a better pony to guard her,” he replied, in a rather joyous voice.

I had to wonder, why would he choose me? I was very excited at first, but then I remembered, I cared for her. I knew she was very excellent, with beautiful long, dazzling hair and sparkling eyes that would make any stalli-

NO! You mustn’t think like that if you are to be guarding her! She is not one to be loved as somepony like yourself! You are way out of her league! But my heart still always wanted her, however, my head always ruled over my heart when it came to stuff like this.

“And, just so we’re clear, she requested you herself. She does enjoy your work as a guard, being more social than not with her,” he added on, which only increased my anxiety. “That, and you have an hour before your shift starts. She will be down at the library, as she informed me via letter yesterday.”

Well, at least it wouldn’t necessarily be as awkward. If she needed help in studying, I guess I could help. She spent a good amount of her time looking into a book, as if she was always looking for an answer that was just out of reach. She could also use some comfort of your own, with your wing wrapped around her, as she studied her-

Stop. Thinking. Like. THAT! You soon would be saying it out loud! Any romantic thoughts toward a Princess are prohibited and you know that!

Well, why not fantasize, even for a day, and you know it’s true she needs a friend, or at least some comfort because she is probably even more lonely than you.

I had to realize that. All her friends are elsewhere, them being the Elements of Harmony. It was very interesting, the way they all met, because I doubt most of them knew each other. It was for the best, because they had to come together a while back, due to the evil presence, which they fought off marvelously.

There were still fifty minutes before he had to set out as a guard, so he took time polishing his near-perfect golden guard armor. Being a Royal Guard was quite enjoyable, but not if you had feelings for somepony you were supposed to protect.

I quickly grabbed an apple and went on his way to the Princess. When he arrived, the stallion working the desk questioned why he was here.

“Well, you see, I… have to be guarding the Princess. Er, Princess Twilight,” I said rather shyly.

“Alrighty then mate! Jus’ three floors up an’ to the lef’ an’ she should be there. Ancient ‘istory section, for yer information,” He replied in a thick Marestralian accent.

I gave him my thanks and went my way up the stairs. I passed by several sections before I encountered the aisle the Princess was in. She was rather skinnier than I had last seen her a couple days ago with severe bags under her eyes. I approached warily, as she had seemed to be crying. She had only noticed me when I poked her, at which her wings flew up in surprise, knocking nearly a dozen books from the shelves.

“Crap! Oh, sorry, I wasn’t really paying much attention. You must be my guard… uhh, heh, what’s your name again?” She asked innocently, blushing as she put the books back on the shelves magically.

“Oh, uh, *cough* Flash S-Sentry, Your Highness. Sorry to startle you,” I apologized.

“No, it’s fine really, I must be-be-be getting back to work,” she said quietly, yawning as she said ‘be’.

“Princess, as your personal Guard, may I suggest you get some rest, or coffee, or at least tea?” I asked, hoping for a positive answer.

“No, but do feel free to help me out. And, if you don’t mind, could you just call me Twilight while we are in settings such as this?” she asked hopefully.

“Oh, but of course Pr- er, Twilight. And, could I get you something to eat? You don’t really look all that full in shape,” I asked, but I realized what I said. Shit! She probably thinks I’m a creep! Fu-

“No, no, no, I’m quite fine,” she said as her stomach rumbled, and blushed slightly, hopefully not from what I said. “But, do please help me study.”

“Of course, Twilight,” I replied.

And so, we spent about another two hours at the library, before I noted she was crying softly.

“Twilight? Is something wrong?” I asked gently, moving closer to her.

She looked over, with sad, puffy red eyes with tears slowly streaming down her elegant face. “Oh, Flash, I could make a list! I’m lonely, I’m always studying, the Royal Court is stressful, and I can’t talk to anyone! Celestia is always busy and Luna only comes around during the night!”

I put my flank up against hers. “Look, Twilight, I can be your friend here, you can talk to me. And, well, if you need me to help with anything, just call me.”

She hugged me, smiling as she was, her tears soaking into my fur. I held her in my wings for a good fifteen minutes, letting her cry into my chest and complain about subjects that I didn’t even know she was involved in. I could definitely tell she needed this though, because she was looking tense and stressed. I could tell by the way her wings weren’t properly preened, her droopy half smile, and the bags under her perfect eyes. When she pulled away, I immediately remembered that I am a Guard, and if anyone saw, I would be skinned and flayed over the depths of Tartarus.

“Oh, my, thank you, Flash. I very much needed that,” she said gratefully, sniffling as she did.

“You’re quite welcome, Twilight. Look, I know you say you don’t need it, but you obviously do, so I’ll grab some pillows for you to sleep on and some lunch. Is that okay?” I asked quietly, because anyone could have looked over and have seen it as a romantic gesture rather than friendly.

“Flash, you’re just too kind. I would enjoy both, as you have made me realize that I definitely need a break,” she said drowsily.

And with that, I left and grabbed some pillows in a back corner. One of the librarians gave me a burning questioning glare as I grabbed seven pillows. I hurriedly carried them over to Twilight who immediately flopped down on them and went to sleep. And with that, I let her rest for two hours and grabbed both her and I lunch, and walked away thinking, what in the hell is wrong with me?

Twilight: I woke up about an hour and a half later, feeling rather refreshed by the sleep I got. I sat up groggily, not remembering my conversation with Flash before I fell asleep, and because of that, forgot that the let me cry into his chest, wrapping me tightly, and the gestures of a true friend, letting him help me out. That, and his disheveled but stylish blue mane and his gorgeous wings, and his bright orange coat make him look handsome and very easy to like. Wait a bucking minute. You thought he’s hot? Cute? Lovable? Well… what the hell? What’s wrong with that? Oh… yeah.

The law prohibited any Guard, much less a pegasus, to show any affectionate and/or romantic gestures to those of whom the guard. But, Flash was just doing it out of friendship, right? Yeah… just friends -not to mention just trying to be helpful-, not like I like him or anything. Yeah, heh, oh…

Flash was just standing there watching her weak smile and intense blush. He had plates of food, and I wondered why, but I had forgotten her promise to Flash to eat something, because goddammit, I really had to.

“Uhm, Twilight? Is everything okay?” he asked nervously.

“Hehe, uh, yeah. Just… thinking,” I replied sheepishly.

He didn’t seem to buy it, but he didn’t question her any further. He did truly care for me, and it was quite obvious, because he pushed me no further with his questions. However, he did come to sit by me and put a lunch plate on the ground in front of me. He clearly went to the Royal eating chambers, because my plate was much fancier than his, because his contained a more basic mix of foods, while mine contained expertly seasoned meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, an elegant desert, and a wedge of a daisy and sunflower sandwich, which happened to be my personal favorite.

“How did you know?” I asked him.

He looked up quickly, startled. “Hmm? Oh, uh, what?”

“That my favorite sandwich is daisy and sunflower,” I replied, trying to soothe him.

“I had asked Princess Celestia what your favorite thing to eat was,” he said, quickly swallowing another mouthful of food as he did so.

I giggled. “Why’d you do that?”

“I-I, uhhhhm, w-was just wondering i-if you had a favorite item to eat, because, well… I figured it would cheer you up?” he said, blushing and stammering excessively.

I was also smiling weakly, and probably blushing harder than he was. We ate in silence, only broken by chewing and ponies coming in and out of the library, grabbing books as they went along. Flash was done way before I was finished, and waited patiently at the end of the aisle to bring the plates back to the dining areas. He held his spear in one hoof, which was gripped rather tightly, but I couldn’t figure out why. When I stood up to ask him to bring the plates back to the dining areas, one of my wings flapped outwards again, hitting the bookshelves.

“Crud!” I whispered silently as Flash turned around nervously.

“Twilight, are you okay?” He asked as he trotted over, glancing at my wing.

“I-I’m fine Flash. Just, want, stupid- there!” I breathed out angrily.

“May I offer some advice for your wings?” He asked.

“Sure, why not,” I replied in the sweetest voice I possibly could, making him blush.

“Try to keep your thoughts contained, because even the slightest thing could make it flap open unexpectedly. Your wings are connected to your brain, technically speaking, therefore your brain controls them,” he replied softly, feeling for any broken wing.

He then asked if I had preened my wing recently, but it was obvious. “Well, Flash, I haven’t really learned how. I-If you don’t mind showing me I’d be willing to take some advice,” I answered, somehow managing to keep stammering to a minimum.

"I'd like to help, but..."

"What is it?" I asked, and he turned away, biting his lower lip.

"It's nothing, really." He shrugged and said that after he returned the plates, he’d teach me how to preen my feathers. I quickly got back to looking at the books laid out in front of me, taking notes and trying not to think about how handsome Flash looks compared to the other Guards. What the hell are you thinking? You know it goes against the law, so stop dreaming!

But why can’t I daydream and fantasize? He’s much nicer and more social than most other Guards. So why can’t I imagine him holding me in his arms and protecting me? After all, that is his job. And I can’t even be sure he feels the same way towards me.

My heart won over my head this time, but I wasn’t going to be too sure next time it happened. When he got back, I had to remind him of him helping me preen my wings. "Sure thing, Twilight."

He asked me to stand up straight and put his head into the structural part of the wing. He felt around for any loose feathers, and I had to shiver constantly to break the wonderful feeling of him going through my wings. It took him about fifteen minutes, but I could already tell my wing was looking much better than before.

“So, now that you know how, would you care to try to preen your left wing?” he asked gently.

“Uhm, sure,” I replied, not very certain of myself.

It took me twice as long, and with much more yelps of pain, but I got it done. I felt so much better with all the weight taken off of me. I sat back down again to study for another three hours with Flash next to me. It took all my self-constraint to ask him to put his wing over me, but he did sidle up to me when he noticed I was shivering. His body was much warmer than mine. After we finished, he handed his notes to me, and I noticed that he is quite intelligent compared to the other Guards.

As we were walking back I asked him, “How much do you know about ancient Canterlot history?” I also seemed to catch him off-guard, so to speak.

“W-well, I did study quite a lot so I would know the difference between the usage of new and old laws,” he replied.

It did make sense, so a Guard could tell the difference and reasoning behind the usage and or abusiveness of laws. When we got back to my room I quickly gave Flash a hug, however, I did notice that Captain Strong Wind was standing RIGHT BEHIND FLASH! OH SH-

“Uh, could you excuse us for a second, Princess?” he asked, however, he showed no signs of anger or anything else of the sort.

“S-sure, Captain!”

As they walked away, they were in deep conversation, however, it looked more relaxed and not at all in any way hostile, and all I could think was what the hell is wrong with me?

Flash:

As I walked away, my stomach was boiling in fear.

“May I ask what that was, Flash?” he asked calmly.

“I, uh, she, well… I helped her out a lot today, with her studying and, uh, emotionally,” I replied, hesitant and nervous.

“Well, how so?” he asked yet again.

“She looked very tired and tense when I arrived at the library earlier today. I had asked her if she was fine, but she did have a little outburst. She ended up crying rather hard, so I held her in my wings to comfort her. I told her that we could just be friends, but, well, I probably shouldn’t tell you what she told me. I… I think she enjoyed it,” I said hurriedly.

When he raised his forehoof, I thought he would be the hell out of me, but instead, he patted me on the shoulder. “You’re a good stallion, Flash Sentry, and I’m glad you care for the Princess and comfort her. But just remember, you are a Guard, and you mustn’t develop any sort of relationship, except for a good strong friendship with the Princess. Because you are experienced I’m not going to scold you for taking the comfort of the Princess into your own hooves, because I know I can trust you.”

I looked at the Captain with eternal gratefulness, and Captain Strong Wind looked at me the same way I looked at him. The Captain thanked me for helping Twilight and went off to bed, and I did the same. Then I thought to myself, Maybe there is something wrong with me, but it’s probably not as bad as I thought it is.

Author's Note:

Okay! I did a quick skim over this, and I fixed my previous first/third person narrative fluctuation problems that I had. For some reason. I don't expect you all to enjoy it. I do. Writing, anyways. I just wanted to do something other than Fortnite for a while, you know? And, yeah, I added some titles that just didn't show up in this. Yet. Believe me, there will. I've typed close to a hundred thousand words for this, and, for future referencing, will be posting new chapters every three-ish days. It gives me time to complete newer chapters. When I finish this, I might ask for recommendations on what to write next.