• Published 29th Nov 2018
  • 4,711 Views, 226 Comments

One Way Trip - SoulSpirit



I wake up in the hospital with severe pain, a small pony on my chest, and a princess in the room. Only to set out for my new life.

  • ...
26
 226
 4,711

Stop at the Library & My duties as a butler

I waited for what seemed like an eternity. The need to move was almost too much. Now I know I’m not a patient pony. I could feel doubt creeping over me. It’s probably my paranoia, but maybe she’s having second thoughts. I looked over to one of the guards by Celestia’s door. “How can you just stand there doing nothing for hours on end?” the guard just smirked at me.

“Lots of discipline.” and said nothing more. How boring.

Celestia’s door opened as she walked out. “Sorry for the wait.” I could tell that her smile was legitimate this time. So I was just being paranoid after all. “Let's go.” I let her take the lead.

“You know, I hope that one day either you or Luna will stop hiding the meaning behind this pendant and stop teasing me about it.” she shot me a playful look.

“I’ll let Luna be the one to tell you. She gave it to you after all.” There she goes again with the teasing. I like her playful side and all, but sometimes it can be annoying. “Oh, that’s right,” she added with excitement apparent in her voice. “What types of magic do you want to study?”

“Sorry, but you'll have to wait for that answer. I don’t even know what types of magic there are.” Celestia stopped at a nearby door, opening it with her magic.

“Well, why don’t you go find out?” Celestia let me enter the library first, following in close behind. “The spell tome section is at the far end,” she added in a whisper.

“Alright, thanks,” I replied, lowering my voice to a whisper too. Upon entering the section, I couldn’t believe the large selection of spell tomes until I reminded myself that it was the royal library. There wouldn’t be enough time for me look through all of them, so I just scanned for ones that sounded promising. Everything Fire: Beginner to Advanced, From Water to Ice, and several others. Maybe- “Ouch!” I ran into a gate. Well hello there, what do you have locked up? With further inspection, I noticed an engraved symbol that looked fairly familiar. Wait a tic….. Using my magic, I levitated my pendant from around my neck and pressed it into the engraved symbol. Yep, perfect fit. I was caught off guard when the gate started to crack in half and slid open, sliding in both directions. Geronimo! I ventured onward down the aisle where I found the real deal. Spell tomes on electricity, illusion, healing, transformation, and a few others. Hello there. I thought as I spotted a book that's spine was facing the inside of the shelf. As I levitated it of the self with my magic, something fell out of the book. An envelope with a note written on it. Spirit, read in private. Keep secret. I decided to play along. I put the letter back into the book and levitated the book into a saddle bag. Hopefully the note will explain more.

Out of the new selection of books, I only took illusion. These magics are probably more complicated, so best start with just one. I went to the counter and gave the librarian the spell tomes on fire, ice, and illusion. “Hello, I would like to check these out please.” the mare in question turned to me and I made note of her appearance. She’s a light brown earth pony with half-rim glasses, white mane and tail, green eyes, and a book on her rear.

“Sure thing. Your name?” she asked as she came over.

“Spirit.” as I replied, she wrote some things down that I just assumed would be my name and the books I chose. When she finished, she slid the books back to me. “Here you go.”

“When are they due?”

“Just bring them back when you're done.” with that, she left the counter pushing a cart of books towards one of the isles. Best not question it. After levitating the books into my saddlebags, I trotted back over to Celestia who’s waiting patiently at the door.

“So what magic did you choose?”

“I decided on fire, ice, and illusion.” using her magic, she opened the door lead me out into the hallway and we continued through the castle corridors.


Celestia lead me to a large pair of scarlet colored double doors. “Is this it?” I asked. I didn’t make eye contact though. I was still gawking at the doors.

“Yes.” I heard her say. She opened the doors with her magic. “Let's go on inside.” I obeyed, proceeding into the room that lays beyond. I was met with a site of luxury. The floor, walls, and ceiling were made of marble. The bed was huge, three times the size of Twilights. There was also a bookshelf that was a few yards wide with a nearby eask. I trotted over to a door I saw to the side to find a bathroom that was quite spacious. In the bathroom, on the opposite side, was another door. I opened it with my magic to see a walk-in closet. Leaving the bathroom, I looked around to find that there was also a balcony. Looking near the bed, I even found a fireplace.

“Holly shit Tia! I know you said that it comes with the job, but this is almost too much to take in.” she just giggled at my reaction to the room.

“As my personal butler, you need to be as close as possible, and this is the closest room to mine.” I couldn’t argue with logic. Though I still didn’t want to be this spoiled without earning any of it first. But if I argue with Tia anymore, she might start using her authority as a princess. Better not push it. “My first order is for you to put on your uniform.” with a glow from her horn, the suit that we had ordered the other day came floating out from the closet in the bathroom and onto the bed.

“Yes, my Princess,” I said as I bowed. Bowing in a pony body means to fully bend you your head and forelegs and only bending you back legs halfway. I looked back up at her with a playful smirk. Celestia giggled at my antics once more. I broke my bow, took the suit in my magic, and started heading to the bathroom. I stopped halfway there when I realized something not only important but also embarrassing.

I crept back over to Celestia, stopping near inches away from her. M cheeks heated up intensely. How do I address this? “What’s wrong Spirit?” Celestia’s voice showed concern. I cleared my throat.

“I don’t know how to put clothes on.” it felt shameful to admit. Celestia did more than giggle this time. She fell on the floor laughing, which seemed to have struck a chord. Yes, yes. Let's laugh at the pony who doesn’t know how to put clothes on. I wanted to voice my complaints, but I knew better and held my tongue. I would consider leaving to ask somepony else for help, but the only other ponies in Canterlot I knew wouldn’t be an option. Luna would be sleeping and Shining would laugh harder than Celestia is right now. I was beginning to question how much these ponies really respected me. I sat down on my flank, my head hung low as I just stared at the marble floor. Yes, Celestia has been there for me from the start, and I’m grateful, but that’s what makes it worse. If she’s laughing at me, I wonder how long it’ll be before others do. Guess it’s best to make as few acquaintances as possible. Lifting my head back up to look at her, I cleared my throat. “If you’re done laughing your ass off, I would like to know what to do about my current predicament.”

Celestia, now done with her laughing fit, got off the floor. With a flash of her magic and the disappearance of the suit, the suit teleported into place onto my body. “There, how does it feel?”

It didn’t feel as stuffy or as stiff as I expected. The suit felt rather comfortable. I looked down to see a rather nice blue bowtie on a white collar and the rest of it was black. It even had sleeves for my front legs. Satisfied with how I looked, I looked back up to Celestia. “Fits like a glove.” knowing that she prefers me to be casual when it’s only us two, I teased her by adding “What’s next, my mistress?” this got a slight blush from Celestia, but unfortunately I didn’t get her flustered. That would have been funny.

“We have a meeting to attend to with a representative from the Griffon Empire. What I need you to do during the meeting is to take notes of everything that even seems important.” she paused, giving me a questioning look. “You do understand politics, don’t you?”

I gave her a look that screamed ‘Are you fucking serious?’ “even though where I come from is ran by a democracy and not a hierarchy, I still understand the concept.” I deadpan

“Splendid. There's writing supplies in your desk. Get them and let's get going.” following orders, I trotted over to my desk and opened the drawer to find a quill and notepad. Picking them up in my magic, I went back to follow Celestia to the meeting.


The meeting was awfully boring. Nothing but arguments that could have been avoided if even half of them were not ignorant fools. The Griffins, a proud species as they are, are still headstrong and a pain in the ass. After the meeting, Celestia sent me to go wake up Luna as my last task for the night, which I’, doing right now. I have just arrived at Luna’s door when one of the guards stopped me. “Sir, what business do you have here?”

I sighed. “Celestia has sent me to wake up Luna.” they just laughed.

“We’ll have to see some prof.” I wasn’t prepared for that, though I should have seen it coming. An idea came to mind and I decided to wing it.

“I’m sure this will be more than enough,” I smirked as I used my magic to levitate the pendant out from under my suit. As they gazed at the pendant, their cocky smiles slowly vanished.

“Very well. As you were.” the guard looked as though he hated me for doing that, but I didn’t have any other option.

I knocked a few times, waited minute, then opened the large double doors to let myself in the dark room. After the door closed, I pushed some magic through my horn to provide myself with enough light to see a few feet ahead of me. I made my way to Luna’s bed. Wandering what I’ll do if she gets angry, I spoke up. “Luna, Celestia sent me to wake you up.” she didn’t stir. Heavy sleeper. I looked at her, remembering the events of the other night. I felt my cheeks heat up at the memory. I shook my head. Now’s not the time. With my magic, I attempted to lift the covers off, but she wouldn’t let go. “I’m warning you.” but still no change in resistance from her as she continued to hold on. She asked for it. I wrapped whatever blanket I had in my magic around her head and ruffled her entire head.

She shot straight up saying “We’re up Tia, we’re up.” before her eyes focused in on me. “Why is it thou waking us up and not Tia?”

I smiled, mentally chuckling at her bed head. “As Tia’s butler, it is my job to do as my mistress asks of me. It so happens that my final task for the night was to wake you up.” after seizing the chance to be a smartass, I chuckled out loud this time.

She glared at me for my antics before she got out of bed. Upon doing so, she yawned and started to slowly make her way to her balcony. I followed. “Seems our sister has already lowered her sun for us.” activating her horn, the moon began to rise. Watching the deed e don this time is just as enchanting as the first. Never gets old. After she finished, the moon resting at its peak, she turned to me and asked: “Is thou free now?” I nodded. “Has thou visited the library?”

“Yes.” Luna sat on the floor of the balcony and so did I. I didn’t care that it was freezing my flank off because the view was worth it.

“Get anything interesting?”

“I got spell books on fire, ice, and illusion. I’m looking forward to studying illusion but I feel it would be more important to be able to keep warm though.” Lunas face lit up at the mention of illusion magic.

“Illusion is one of our personal favorites. Thee should get going though, it’s getting pretty late.” I took my pardon and left for my room.

Author's Note:

feel free to comment