• Published 29th Nov 2018
  • 4,723 Views, 226 Comments

One Way Trip - SoulSpirit



I wake up in the hospital with severe pain, a small pony on my chest, and a princess in the room. Only to set out for my new life.

  • ...
26
 226
 4,723

A Train Ride and a Get Together

By the time I arrived in Ponyville, the sun was just starting to rise from the horizon. I needed to get to the train station, but I didn’t know how to get there. I know that Twilight would still be asleep right now so I couldn’t ask her for directions. I guess I’ll just have to wander around until I find it.

I walked throughout Ponyville taking turns at random. Usually, that’s a bad idea and never works, but Ponyville is pretty small. Small enough that it worked, surprisingly. I saw somepony working at the ticket booth. I was going to ask about the schedule when I noticed a chart beside the window labeled “Prices”. How convenient? The price for a ride to Canterlot was fifteen bits. Then I remembered that I didn’t have any bits. “God damn it!” I grunted with a sigh. What the hell am I going to do now?

I heard the pony working the booth speak up. “Sir, may I ask your name?” I walked closer so I didn’t have to shout.

“Spirit, Sir.”

“Spirit? Finally, been long enough. Princess Celestia reserved a ride for you back to Canterlot.” reported the chestnut stallion. I sighed in relief.

“Thanks for letting me know. I genuinely appreciate it.”

The young stallion smiled. “Happy to be of assistance. The train should be here within the hour.”

I asked “Thank you. What’s your name?”

“Written Script.” he replied.

I parted from the conversation to find a bench. Don’t ask me how pony bodies can sit on benches like humans can because I have no idea how. Instead of sitting on the bench I located, I laid on it like a bed and decided to take a nap until the train arrives.
[h]

I woke up to a loud rumble of an engine followed by an ear piercing frequency of a whistle. Hurt my ears like hell. I got off my ass finally and made my way over to Written Script and asked: “Don’t I need a ticket to present to them before getting on?”

Written Script replied “Yes Sir,” he slid a ticket through a small hole at the bottom of the window. “Have a fantastic day.” He sure was enthusiastic.

I said in return “You too.” I took my ticket in my magic and made my way to the train that still had a few ponies coming off. I levitated my ticket to the conductor upon boarding.

“Your ticket allows you to use the private royal cart?!” The conductor looked puzzled.

“I’m traveling under Celestia’s orders, so maybe that’s why,” I explained my theory.

“That explains it. The private royal cart is at the front. Please, enjoy the ride.” seems like a nice fellow. I thought.

I boarded and made my way to the royal cart. I had to weave my way around a few ponies, but I reached it nonetheless. I was amazed by the interior. There was a table with chairs on all sides, a bookshelf, and windows on each side of the cart that provided great views.

“Damn, if you weren’t the princess, I would say you’re spoiled,” I mumbled. If it weren’t for the windows, I wouldn’t have noticed that the train started moving. I couldn’t feel any vibration at all. Are there shock absorbers too? Unless if the train was enchanted, that’s the only explanation I could think of. I went to the fridge, opened it up, and took a gander at the selection. I saw quite the variety, but unfortunately, I could only recognize two drinks though. Tea and cider. I would love some tea, but I’m not going to risk using a heat spell on a glass bottle. Apple cider it is then. I cast the levitation spell and brought the bottle to the table. I also took the book out of my saddlebag and placed it on the table too.

The cover read “Dark Magic and Forbidden Arts”. Just from looking at it, I got the sense of danger emitting from it. I looked out the window. Still, have a long way to go before arriving at Canterlot. Against my better judgment, I began reading. The first page had nothing but a warning. It read:

Once you read this book, you may never be the same again. Close the book now and never open it again if you want your life to remain as it is.

Usually, I would ignore that thinking of it as a prank, but this time’s different. I took some time to contemplate things before making my decision.

I have no life here. I have no family, no friends, no one to truly rely on. I am alone. After I’m done with the business involving discord, I won’t have any further purpose either. A truly meaningless existence. I have nothing to lose.

It’s decided. I continued through the pages of the book. The first section taught me that everything, living or nonliving, has a darker side to it desperate to gain control. When it sees its chan it will do anything to get you to give up all control over to it. Once it has control, you will have access to magic with far more destructive power than magic used through normal means. Though there is a price. Madness. Total insanity. The chances of regaining control are very slim and highly likely one won’t remember what they did at the time.

Wait, so does that mean that dream I had might have been….. Real? So, I got lucky. Though that weapon conjuration is probably the best spell ever. Wonder if I could learn it without dark magic. Speaking of which, I wonder what other magic can be done.

I flipped through the book, only scanning, till I found something that caught my eye. Big, bold letters reading “Spells”. Bingo! Just what I was looking for. There were so many spells, even ones that I didn’t think possible. Like biological genetic rewrite, immortality, invincibility, instantaneous regeneration, the list went on as did my astonishment. I did notice that every one of them is labeled forbidden. Maybe Celestia can explain.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock from the cart door. I closed the magic tome and hid it in my saddlebags. “Come in!” the door opened and the conductor came in. he paused, sighed, composed himself, and wore an unmistakably fake smile. “No need to be formal with me. Come, take a seat if you want to talk” I reassured him.

“Thanks, Sir,” he replied, taking a seat across from my own. “I was just wondering, who are you? I’ve seen everypony in Equestria at least once, but never you.”

“To be honest, I wish I knew the answers myself.” I paused. “Oh, right, my apologies. The name’s Spirit.”

“I don’t quite believe your answer, but everypony’s entitled to their secrets.” he got up and went to the door. “Enjoy your trip, Sir.” He left.

Rude, he didn’t even introduce himself. I got off my chair too and went over to the window on the side of the cart thinking. This will be my last chance to try dark magic for a long time. I know now that it’s risky, but desire and curiosity got the better of me. I activated my horn, producing the black and purple aura once again rather than my usual white aura. I noticed that it felt different from how my normal magi felt. My normal magic felt like pleasant silk, but this dark magic aura felt like sandpaper. It was hard, but I bared it conjuring multiple levitating weapons around me made of a dark, black misty substance. Though, tapping one with my hoof proved that it was as hard as steel. I canceled my magic, thus the conjured weapons ceased to exist.

I felt exhausted. I return to the table, got the cider, popped it open, took a sip, then spat it out. Ack! What the hell? I looked at the label again. It read “Apple Cider” like the first time, but this time I found that it also said “alcoholic” at the bottom. Why am I not surprised? I should rest up a little more so I can deal with the swarms of nobles at Canterlot. I took my nap on the floor for the rest of the train ride.
[h]

I woke up to the almost unbearable sound f the train whistle for the second time that morning. “Damn it.” I picked myself up off the floor just in time to see the train coming to a stop at Canterlot train station through the window. Fucking finally. I can hear a lot of chatter and commotion coming from outside, but I couldn’t make out what was being said. I tried looking out the window, but the view was obstructed by locals. I guess it’ll have to be a surprise. Better get going.

As I got off the train, I scanned the streets. My maw dropped, then shut again. What the fuck are they doing here? I groaned as I recognized the cause of the commotion. In the street stood Princess Celestia and Captian Shining Armor. Celestia spotted me in the crowd rather quickly, likely due to her being taller than any of the other ponies I’ve seen by far. She’s wearing the same smile she always has on in public and, as usual, it’s fake. Celestia gave me a nod that I took meant for me to come to join her. What has me puzzled though is the fact that her smile’s fake this time. Usually, from my understanding, one would be happy to see a friend again. Something’s up.

I trotted over to join Celestia and Shining. Upon doing so I asked, “ Good morning, what are you two doing here?” They both answered simultaneously.

“We’re here to-”
“We’re here to-”

They paused, giggled, then sighed. “You tell him,” Shining told Celestia, gesturing to me.

Celestia cleared her throat, then said: “ I wanted to come to get you myself.”

“Oh, is that all? Damn.” I replied.

“Is something wrong?” Shining asked, looking worried.

I started walking up the road, saying “Let's talk on the way.” They both nodded their heads in agreement as I let them take lead.

Shining repeated his question. “Is something the matter?” he sounded concerned, cautious even.

“Nothing bad, I just wanted to stop somewhere is all.” I sighed.

Celestia had a comeback though. “Why don’t we?”

“Don’t you two have things to do?” I asked.

Celestia responded, “No. shining and I have some spare time, that’s how we were able to come to get you at all.”

Why didn’t I guess that? “I wanted to visit somepony at the Silent Tea Cafe.”

Celestia gave me a look of mirth. “Who would that be?”

“Silent Taste.” That got Shinings attention.

“Let’s go ahead and stop by then, we’re almost there anyway.” Shining’s right, I can see the cafe just up the road.
[h]

I took the lead as we went in. I pointed Celestia and Shining to my usual table, turned to the counter, then dinged the little bell. I head Silent Taste call “Coming” from the back. She arrived a few minutes later saying “Welcome to the Silent Tea Caf-” she paused when she recognized me. “Spirit! You’re back. How was Ponyville?” she seems excited.

“It was good. Finished my magic training. Though it just means I’ll be busy with combat training next.” I sighed from just thinking about it. “I just stopped by to visit, can’t afford anything right now, but I have some company at my usual table that might want something. I’ll be over there for now.”

“I’ll be over in a moment,” she informed me. I turned from the counter and made my way over to my usual table in the corner of the cafe, where Celestia and Shining were waiting.

“She’ll be here in a moment to take orders, though I didn’t tell her who came with me. This should get interesting.” I told them as I took a seat b the window. That got a small laugh out of both of them. Shining spoke up.

“Sure will.”

I sighed once more and put on a small smile. “The view gives a relaxing view if I were to say so myself.” I meant it too. Hardly ever any crowds, a nice view of the castle, and even a nice little mix of nature too.

“I understand, it’s beautiful.” Celestia agreed with a nod of her head. Silent Taste was just making her way over when she froze with a gasp, now in a slight state of shock.

“I have to admit, that was priceless.” I barely managed to say because of how hard I was laughing. Shining only rolled his eyes and Celestia didn’t physically react at all. I finally calmed down by the time Silent composed herself out of her shock to speak.

“Welcome to the Silent Tea Cafe. What would you both like to order?”

“Tea, please.” Celestia requested.

“I’ll just have some coffee.” followed Shining.

“I’ll be back with your orders shortly.” Silent left for the kitchen. Celestia and Shining both had confused and disappointing looks on their faces.

“Why didn’t she ask you what you wanted?” asked Shining.

“I told her earlier that I wasn’t going to order anything.”

“Why not? Surely you are hungry.” I could tell that Shining knew something was up. Gotta shake him.

“I just wanted to visit. Don’t worry, I’m fine.” Just as I finished saying that, my stomach betrayed me. The noise it made was loud enough that I could almost swear that Silent could have heard it. Though she didn’t show it, I could tell Celestia was heavily disappointed.

“Please don’t lie to us, Spirit,” She began.” When was the last time you had something to eat?” I looked down at the table. Damn it, way to put me on the spot. I knew they weren’t going to like the answer, but I also knew that there was no use in lying. So I came clean.

“Three days.” This is a first, Shinings mouth dropped, but so did Celestia's.

“I’m brock, remember?”

“But you were living with Twilight though. I know for a fact that she would never let anypony starve.” Shining interjected.

“You’re right, she wouldn’t. But I wasn’t with her. After I finished training, I took a few days to go investigate something.”

“What would that be?” It seems that even caught Celestia's interest.

“For now, I don’t think it’s quite a time to share that.”

“Here are your beverages. Will that be everything?” I didn’t even notice Silent approach. I need to be more aware of my surroundings. I was about to answer her, but Celestia beat me to it with a different answer than what I had.

“No, can you also get some tea and a few muffins for Spirit please?” What the hell? It’s going to be like Rarity all over again.

“No Celestia, I can’t -” today was just full of firsts because I’ve also never heard Celestia interrupt before.

“I know what you are going to say. Spike told me about what happened between you and Rarity, but you’ll die soon if you don’t eat.” I don’t know how long ponies can go without food, but she’s right. When I think about it, I can feel a pain in my gut. If you were to look at me, you would see as fat that a starving stray cat would have. I can’t argue this time.

“Fine, I surrender.”

“Also, you’re forgetting that I still need to pay you for your time with the doctor. So don’t feel like you owe me anything.” she reminded me. Then Shining told me something I didn’t know.

“Also, trainees get free meals until they become full-time guards, and the pay for that’s pretty high.”

“Thanks, that helps a little.” I got jump scared by Silent, who just laughed. “I think Silent is more than a name for you at this point.”

“Thanks. Here are your muffins and tea. Sorry, but I have to hurry back to the kitchen to do some maintenance.” she departed, leaving the muffins and tea behind. I turned my attention back to Celestia.

“What happens now?” I asked, now beginning to enjoy my muffins and tea. Silent remembered my favorites.

“Glad you asked. You will be under Shining’s care as you already know. What you don’t know is that you will be moving in with his and Twilight's parents.” I almost choked on a bit of muffin at the bit of unexpected news.

After I composed myself after recovering from the muffin treachery, I asked “I’m sorry, but where did you say I’m going to live?” both Celestia and Shining giggled at my surprise. Are they making fun of me?

“It’s okay, I’ve already spoken to them and explained everything. Besides, They’re already expecting you. It would be rude to not show.” Shining’s being really persistent. Might be best to play along for now and see how it works out.

I finished my food and asked one final question. “What do we do next?” Celestia sighed followed by a genuine smile before responding.

“We have some errands to run.

Author's Note:

Sorry If I’m a little late with this chapter. Please support me on my Patreon, every little bit helps. https://www.patreon.com/DarkShin