• Published 29th Nov 2018
  • 4,723 Views, 226 Comments

One Way Trip - SoulSpirit



I wake up in the hospital with severe pain, a small pony on my chest, and a princess in the room. Only to set out for my new life.

  • ...
26
 226
 4,723

New Friends, Old Friends, and a train ride.

I slept rather soundly that night--Luna made sure of that. Even though I couldn’t remember the dream, I could tell by the way I felt when I woke up. When I asked Luna why I could only remember the dream involving Discord, she told me that it was “solidified.” Meaning that the dream was made where I could be aware of what was going on, done by “dream magic” only mastered through her domain.

As my eyes blinked away the urge to sleep once more with the help of the sun light, I noticed something unsettling. I was in the same bed as Luna! “What the Fuck?” I moaned the question. I spotted Luna laying next to me. I hope this doesn’t mean what I think it means. “Luna, please explain how I ended up sleeping in your bed.”

“I placed thou here when thy fell asleep.” Luna explained as she got up.

“You still look tired as hell Luna.”

“We usually sleep through the day and do our work in the night.” Should have guessed, being princess of the night and all.

“I just realized something. Twilight can teach me magic, but in the “dream” I was armed to the teeth with weapons. I don’t think she could also teach swordsmanship can she?” I am actually curious. If thee can, that would be a side to Twilight I wouldn’t have guessed.

“No, Twilight doesn’t know the art. We shall have her brother teach it. He is one of the best royal guards our sister has.” Luna is beginning to sound even more tired, I better ask my questions fast.

“Should I inform Celestia?” Important questions first.

“We already left her a letter explaining the situation. Go to her for further instruction.” Now she’s out cold. Better do what she commands.


After making my way through the maze of a castle, I found my way to the familiar big double doors of Celestia’s personal chambers.

“The Princess is expecting you!” reported the guard on the right side of the door, ever unmoving, while opening the door.

“Thanks.” What I saw next surprised me. The guard on the right just smirked at me. I had no clue why I felt so unsettled by this. I proceeded into the room calling “Celestia, I’m here.” but I got no response. I only scanned the room until I found her sitting at a table on her balcony sipping from her cup.

After setting the cup down she greeted me, “Morning Spirit.” “Please, have a seat and something to eat,” she said with, not her famous motherly smile, but the smile she wears only around me and Luna when nopony else is around. The one you would show a dear friend you haven’t seen in a long time. I don’t know why she would choose me to be one of the ponies she uses that smile with. What am I to you, Celestia? I ask myself. If she was to ask me what she is to me, that would be a tough one. If I had to say, I would guess I would say kind of like a mother in a way. She has not only get set up in an unknown (to me) world, but she even named me. Something only a mother would do. So I also guess I am in debt to her. Ug! This is to much! I thought as I took my seat.

“Before we get to business,” Celestia started, “I can see on your face that something just started puzzling you. Please, let me help.”

“I don’t know…..”

“Come on.” Then she started using those eyes. Seriously, they should be illegal. But if they were, Celestia would still be able to get away with it I guess. I surrendered.

“Celestia,” I sighed. “What am I to you?” Her face went into shock. “Oh, sorry, forget I said that. I-”

“No no, I think that is a sensible question. I am not certain enough to answer that just yet.” Hearing this saddened me. I don’t get many answers, but I was hoping for an answer to that at least. “How about we just get down to it. Luna has informed me of the situation and of your needs. And in knowing this I know that you need to learn magic before you can possibly use a weapon before discord shows himself. So I shall have you live with Twilight until you are ready to use weapons. But I would like to take this time to introduce you to the pony would teach you the art of the sword. Shining, come in!” The door opened instantly and one of the door guards game in. “At ease, you are in here to make a new friend. Meet Spirit.”

After taking off his gold armor, a white stallion approached me. His main and tail consisted of streaks of three different shades of blue, his eyes were a light blue, and his hoofs were a dark shade of blue. And the mark on his flank was a shield. “Hay Spirit, what’s up? The name’s Shining Armor. Nice to meet ya.” and the way he spoke is like a real bro. Ya, he’s already cool in my book.

Celestia interjected, “I thought you should know now. Spirit is not only going to learn how to use his magic from your sister, Twilight Sparkle, but after that you will be tasked with teaching him swordsmen ship.”

“Wait, he’s going to be taught by Twili? So she’s going to come here to teach him?”

“No, he’s going to be living with her in Ponyville during the time.” At this, he shot me a glare. The glare he gave me is unmistakable. He’s definitely protective of Twilight.

“Is he dangerous?”

“He would appreciate you wouldn’t talk like he isn’t here.” I mumbled.

“No he isn’t,” Celestia continued. “He can’t even use magic.” At this, Shining looked relieved while letting out a snicker. Why not just slap me now?!?!? I thought to myself, remembering that how alien I am being the reason I don’t have any friends in this world. Just acquaintances filled with suspicion towards me.

“Sorry about that Spirit, it’s just natural of a big brother to be protective of his siblings if you know what I mean.” Shining offered.

“It’s alright, I’m used to it.” I offered in return, realizing that I was jumping to conclusions and needed to see thing to the end before judging.

“Really? You shouldn’t have too.”

“Celestia, you can explain to him later. It’s clear that you haven’t already.” I added. “So, when do I leave for Ponyville?”

“As soon as you want,” she answered.

“Wait, how can I be sure I can trust you around my sister?” Shining asked, now sounding cautious.

“Because last time she found out I lied, it felt like she was on the edge of deciding to blast me halfway to Canterlot. Trust me, I know when to fear for my life. See ya!” I started toward the door.

“Hold on, Spirit. Take this.” Celestia added, levitating a bag of bits to me. “For the train ticket.” I grabbed the bag with my muzzle and left.


I was just leaving the castle grounds when I spotted a small yet familiar cafe off the right. Silent Cafe. I thought. Might as well go say hi. I made my way over the cafe, being careful not to run into any snotty nobles I heard Celestia complain about during tea a couple of times. Definitely don't want to converse with one of them, they will probably make some comment on how much of a ‘commoner’ I look like.

I finally made my way to the door and pushed it open. A few ponies here, but only one I knew. “Silent Taste, how’s it been,” I called while approaching her.

“What is it no-” she paused. Her mouth gaped open, like she was looking at a ghost. “Wait, you’re real? I thought that was just me day dreaming seeing how it is I didn’t even get your name.” Silent seemed like she was stunned. “You. With me. Now.” now pushing me to the empty corner of the restaurant.

“What did I do? I swear I paid when I was here last time.” I said, now worried.

“Yes, you paid. But it’s not that. You know, it’s rude to not even introduce yourself when you meet someone.”

“That’s because I couldn’t!” I blurted without thinking. This seemed to startle her.

“Wha…. what do you mean by that?” Now Silent sounded scared.

“Calm down. You are going to need to calm down if I am going to explain this to you, okay?” What the hell am I doing, I’m so fuckig reckless. I practically screamed in my mind.

“Okay, I’m ready.”

“Are you sure? Because one of two things are going to happen after, or while, you hear this. One, you are going to yell at me to get out and think I should have never have never left the hospital.” I deadpan.

“And the second thing?”

“I don’t have a clue.”

“Then why did you say one of two things?”

“Because I am hoping it’s not the first thing. Sounds fair to me.”

“Then let's hear your story.”

I started by explaining that I wasn’t originally a pony, nor from Equestria for that matter. That being the reason why I couldn’t do things properly when we met in the cafe that day. Just as expected, she wasn’t buying it.

“I’m going to do you a favor and pretend that you didn’t say anything.” was all she had to say about it. “But why couldn’t you introduce yourself?”

“I didn’t even have memory of my own name. It was only later that day, when I was granted citizenship, that Celestia named me herself.” I explained, confident that she would believe that.

“Okay, now that seems like something she might do. That I believe.”Success! I thought.” Now, where have you been all this time?”

I proceeded to tell her that I lived in a guest room of the castle for a few days before being moved to Ponyville, per request of Celestia, in case her student Twilight needed assistance. I don’t know what I was thinking telling her about how I tricked Twilight. No telling her view on me now. I ended the story my just saying that I was summoned back to Canterlot. No need to tell her why and by whom.

“Why were you called to Canterlot?” Okay, now she is prying.

“The princesses had private business to discuss with me.” No need to mention the dream.

“Understood.” Her response surprised me. Here I was trying to think of a way of not having to tell her what about. I must have some luck after all. I thought.

“I am being sent back to Ponyville today. In fact, I was just on my way when I decided to stop by and say hi.” And that’s when I hear the door open and notice a white unicorn stroll from behind me.

“Good morning Silent Taste, who’s your friend here? His color combination is quite rare. And his eyes!”

“And he would like it if you would stop talking like he isn’t here.” I added. “Is that a common thing now, I thought it was considered rude.”

“Sorry, darling.” the white unicorn with purple mane and tail added.

“Darling? Hold it, we just met and you don’t even know my name and you call me that? I won’t ask or demand any apologies, because I might have came across as rude myself. But if you want to apologize, you can do it with in introduction.” I made sure I said it in a way that didn’t sound like I was hitting on her, that wouldn’t look good for me.

“My name is Rarity, I sell clothes in Ponyville.” Rarity is straight to the point. Wait, Ponyville?

“Ponyville?” I asked. “Oh shit, I still have to catch the train. No telling how pissed Twilight will be if she’s expecting me. She probably is. Thanks a lot, Celestia.” I was ranting to myself at this point. “Before I leave, as I was told, I should state my name. My name is Spirit, and may we cross paths again.”

I started for the door, but I was stopped. “Stop!” both of them said at once.

“What?”

Silent responded. “The train doesn’t come for the next half hour. You don’t go running through the streets like a mad pony.” while Silent was talking, Rarity was approaching me.

“I was just about to head their myself, perhaps we should go together.” Rarity proposed.

“Thanks, I get lost sometimes. I haven’t been able to stay settled long enough to learn my way around.” I gladly accepted, with a small smile. Then we made our way.
The trip was dreadfully boring. Well, most of it anyway. I was impressed to hear she owned, ran, and lived in a top of the line clothes shop. She told me she lived with her sister, Sweetie Bell. by then we arrived at the train station, paid for our tickets, and found a bench to sit on.

“So, tell me about yourself darling. Surly, you have a story of your own,” Rarity insisted.

“I wish I did. How long has it been? About a month now I suppose. One morning I woke up with searing pain in the head and a princess in the room questioning me, only to learn that I have no memory of my personal life. After deciding that I wasn’t a threat to her land, she granted me citizenship, and even named me.”

“Wait, you were named by Princess Celestia herself?” Rarity interrupted.

“When you put it like that, it sounds pretty important. I wouldn’t care what I’m called, but ‘Spirit’ is a name I’ve grown attached to,” I explained. The train arrived at the station and we waited for everypony to get off beforeboarding, giving out tickets upon entry.

I let Rarity take lead, seeing that we are going to the same car. I know it’s canterlot, but there were too many goddamn nobles. Now that’s a nightmare.

When we took our seats by each other, Rarity said, “Please darling, continue your story.”

“Before I do, I was wondering. Do you call all your friends darling?”

“Usually,” she answered.

“Just wondering. Anyway, as I was saying, Celestia eventually sent me to Ponyville to assist Twilight. A few days later, I was called back to canterlot for a Private meeting with Princess Luna. this morning I was assigned back to Ponyville. On the way to the train station I decided to visit the Silent Tea Cafe and you know the rest after that.” I finished, glad to be done with the story. Even if I skipped some minor parts, it still gets boring.

“Where are you going to stay?” concern in her voice.

“Well, I would be homeless and sleep under or in a tree, but I’m under instruction to stay with the librarian at the Golden Oak Library.”

“Why would you be homeless otherwise?”

“Think about it for a minute! Even If I woke up that day with the ability to control my magic or even my own body and got a job, I don’t think it would be possible for me to make enough to afford a place to live anywhere.” I explained. Now I am starting to feel kinda depressed about it. “I’m sorry, I think I’m done talking for now.” shortly after, I felt a hoof on my back, and on reflex I flinched. What the hell?

“It’s okay,” soothed Rarity. I didn’t realize it until I felt her hoof start stroking my back, but I’ve been crying.

“Why are you-” I started, but was interrupted.

“Because, it’s obvious that you need somepony right now, don’t you?”

“I mean, why are you ponie so quick to trust and e friends? I don’t get it. And Why do I.. I… feel so…” I passed out from the crying. Empty. I finished in thought.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait, Christmas break from school was kinda a big distraction. though I still worked on this a little still.

Ask Spirit anything on his Tumblr

https://spiritthepony.tumblr.com/