• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 1,059 Views, 8 Comments

A Hearth's Warming to Remember - Bronyxy



Rarity has been dating Luna for some time, although it isn’t yet common knowledge. As the couple look forward to their first formal engagement together, Rarity is getting nervous, but this is not destined to be the biggest problem she has to face …

  • ...
2
 8
 1,059

6 Cause for Celebration

Once Twilight had made good on her promise to the Tree of Harmony and returned her Element along with her friends, she invited everypony back to the Castle of Friendship as it was just a short distance away. With the threat passed, Luna dismissed the Night Guard as their numbers were too large to be accommodated with Twilight and so they made their way back to Canterlot with written orders from Celestia that they be treated as the heroes they were.

When they arrived back at the castle, they were met by Spike and Twilight shared the good news of their victory with her number one assistant.
“That’s great, Twi” he replied, “You remember Apple Bloom and her friends are staying over tonight; want me to wake them?”
“If I know them” interrupted Applejack, “I’d wager they ain’t even asleep yet anyway. Might as well let them come and join in the fun.”
“Sounds like it’s time for a party!” trilled Pinkie, and nopony felt inclined to disagree.
“OK then” chuckled Applejack, “You go get them and I’ll help with the caterin’ down in the kitchen.”

Pinkie summoned a do-it-yourself emergency party-in-a-can from apparently out of nowhere and immediately put on some music while she and Rarity busied themselves setting up the remainder of the party essentials with Rainbow hanging up the decorations that couldn’t be reached from the ground.

It was fortunate that Twilight had ensured they were well stocked for Hearth’s Warming, because there was a plentiful supply at hoof of everything needed to provide a sumptuous feast with very little preparation. Before long, the young fillies, who, as Applejack had suspected, were still nowhere near being asleep, were helping out by bringing out a stream of plates piled high with tasty treats and laying them out on tables in the main hall.

Twilight was going to go and talk to Celestia, but stopped when she saw her and her sister in deep discussion and thought better of interrupting, choosing instead to catch up with Fluttershy who was now worried about how well the volunteered Bat Ponies were looking after her critters. Shortly, everything was as Pinkie wanted it and she helped herself to a mug of cider before going to load up her plate.

Just as she sprang forward to pick up the first of her canapes, she heard the sound of a spoon striking a glass in a way that commanded her attention. Stopping literally in mid-air, she turned to see Celestia standing in a commanding pose ready to make a speech. Immediately she rewound her herself and landed back on the ground exactly where she had started from, and scooted over to turn the music down before turning to face the Sun Princess with the respect she was due.

“Before we start on this marvellous spread, I should like to thank all of you for having dropped whatever plans you had to rally to the support of Equestria. These sirens presented a very real threat to our security and I am most grateful that they are finally where they belong, a result that would not have been possible without the commitment of all of you. However, there is one pony among us tonight who has earned something special, and I should like to hand over to my sister to make the announcement.”

Luna stepped forward as Celestia moved over to one side, the vaguest hint of a smile on her face.
“Thank you Sister” acknowledged Luna, “We are most fortunate that we were able to conduct this evening’s operation with no casualties. This is due in no small part to the diligence of Rarity for recognising the threat and her promptness in bringing it to our attention.”
Applause echoed all round the hall as everypony showed their appreciation, Rarity turning a bright shade of red once more.
“I think it appropriate that Rarity come forward to receive the recognition she has earned for so long now. Rarity, if you please?”
Stunned, the white unicorn walked up to Luna who smiled back at her affectionately. None of the other ponies present had any idea what was coming, but all knew it had to be something special; only Celestia didn’t appear to be in any suspense as she continued to wear her inscrutable smile.

With Rarity staring up expectantly into her eyes, Luna knelt in front of her and took her forehoof in her own.
“Dearest Rarity” she said, now looking up to her “I see in you somepony whom I admire, respect and love deeply. “
A smile Rarity couldn’t control suddenly broke out across her face and she felt her hooves beginning to dance on the spot – surely she couldn’t be …?

“And you could make me the happiest mare in Equestria …”
She’s actually going to! Rarity screamed inwardly.

“… if you would consent to marry me.”

Silence descended throughout the castle.

Random thoughts flew round inside Rarity’s head, none of them seeming to connect with anything as they flew faster and faster and her mouth worked up and down, stammering incoherent sounds. For Luna, the silence was not awkward, because although words had failed her beloved, her wide eyes radiated her answer.

She gripped Luna’s forehoof tightly and suddenly the thoughts in her head coalesced and she whispered, “I do ...” before launching into a passionate kiss, accompanied by loud cheers and whistles from all those present.

How long they remained locked together sharing the joy of the moment was not recorded, but applauding hooves were starting to feel tired when they finally broke their kiss and pulled back just far enough to take in the beauty of the other and appreciate how lucky each felt. For them, time had stopped as they finally came out and announced their intentions to their friends and family.

Sweetie Belle suddenly looked up to Twilight and tugged gently on her to get her attention.
“Um … Twilight?” she asked.
“Yes, Sweetie Belle?”
“Does this mean I’m a Princess now?”
“I don’t know” she replied with a gentle giggle, “Isn’t it enough to say that you’ve now officially got two Princesses as sisters?”

She was just about to press Twilight further on this point, when she noticed that Luna was looking in their direction and beckoning her over. She made a quick apology and in a flash had joined the happy couple as they moved apart just enough to allow a little filly between them.
“This could not have happened without you too” said Luna, welcoming her as the third member of their new family, "Happy Hearth's Warming, little sister."

Author's Note:

Happy Hearth's Warming everypony

:ajsmug::yay::pinkiehappy::raritywink::twilightsmile::rainbowlaugh:

Comments ( 5 )

Yes thank goodness you are back I waited for you to writing another story, now let's see my friend

9355158
Thank you for your kind words.
I hadn't realised until I published this story that it has been over a year since I wrote the original Written in the Stars - I can only offer my apologies and hope it was worth the wait!
Thank you for your support!
:raritywink:

9355166
I'm so pleased you like it!
Luna and Rarity may just be about to find out that the course of true love isn't always smooth ...
:duck::twilightsmile:

9355202
But the course of true Love is always worth it.:raritywink:

9359396
A happy ending for Hearth's Warming
:heart:

Login or register to comment