• Published 26th Nov 2018
  • 1,091 Views, 51 Comments

We Killed the Dinosaurs - Distaff Pope



Sunset Shimmer has her eyes on Starlight, one of the most popular girls at her new school, but what starts as a plan to save Starlight from her worst enemy/best friend takes on a life of its own, and soon their high school is feeling a lot emptier.

  • ...
3
 51
 1,091

01. Beautiful

I bit off a corner of my Pop-Tart and studied the bite marks, looking at how the crust had broken past the wound with rivulets of strawberry filling oozing out of the fissure. “Ya know, most people who get their breakfast here don’t eat it here,” the convenience store clerk said.

“Yeah, and most Snappy Snack Shack clerks don’t bother me when I’m patronizing them. Or do you want me to get my slushies down the street?” I sucked on the straw for a blast of Berry Blue to make my point. Harder until the first spike of pain stabbed between my eyes.

He shrugged, looking back to the register. “Hey, maybe I just want to cut down on juvenile delinquency. Don’t you got to be at school now?”

“Like you never skipped a day,” I said, as words crept back into my head, leaning on the counter. “Or does slinging slushies and ringing registers require a 4.0 GPA?”

“It requires me to put up with punk kids like you, and it don’t take a 4.0 GPA to see you’re trouble with your big leather duster and motorcycle,” he said. Like he was old enough to be calling me a punk kid. His face had a hatchet sharp look to it, but no big wrinkles yet. Thirty at the most, probably younger and just beaten down by a shit excuse for living.

“Sure, sure,” I said. I took another bite of my Pop-Tart. “Still gonna eat my breakfast here unless you’re kicking me out. And you can call the store at 16th and Q in Manehattan or a dozen other Snappy Snack Shacks, and they’ll tell you Sunset Shimmer is a great goddamned customer to have around.” I gestured around at the emptiness with Pop-Tarts and slushie. “But if you’d rather me leave so I don’t scare off the nobody who’s here, just say the word.”

He looked around the store and then down at his hands, defeated. “Fine, just don’t start a fight, and if I get robbed while you’re here, maybe come in on my side, will ya?”

I mock saluted him “Aye-aye. Thank you so much for generously letting me buy my slushies here. I promise to make you proud.”

“Christ,” he sighed. “You're an asshole.” He shook his head. I slurped down more of my drink. “But don’t you got a house or friends at school to eat breakfast with?”

“At Westercolt?” I laughed in his face, ignoring the talk of home. “I haven’t been there yet, but I know exactly what to expect.” I finished off my Pop-Tart and set the slushie down on the counter. “There’s gonna be some popular bitches with zero souls between them, probably three, but maybe they’ll have a fourth; a couple of dumb, asshole jocks whose only claim to fame is how great they are with their balls; then the rest of the school chafing under their yoke and just dreaming of the day they’re finally free of those assholes. And maybe I’ll get lucky, and I can slide into the badass, biker chick slot without competition.” Still’d have to do something appropriately badass to clinch the spot. Otherwise, just a poser with a cool duster and a motorbike. “Trust me, no one in this backwater’s going to stand out.”

***

The most amazing girl I’d ever seen stood on the opposite side of the cafeteria as me, surrounded by the standard three popular bitches,, outfits neatly coordinated to red, yellow, and green. But who cared about that when she hadn’t taken her eyes off me since she entered the cafeteria. I waved, enough to let her know I saw her, but not enough to act interested.

She had purple hair with cerulean highlights running the length, and her skirt and top were mostly blue with a black vest, striking against her light purple skin. She stood a step away from her “friends” as they huddled around, watching whatever girl they decided to torment today. I didn’t know the victim’s name, but did it matter?

My admirer and the red one peeled off from the pack, walking my way. “So, my friends and I do this lunchtime poll,” Red said, rose pinned to the lapel of her blazer. “And we wanted to know–”

“Do you have a cousin who lives in Canterlot?” the girl that mattered said, earning a look from the red one.

I laughed. Not the question I expected from her, and based on Red’s look, not the question she expected either. “That’s gotta be the dumbest question I’ve ever heard,” I said. “You’re asking everyone if they’ve got a cousin going to school in Canterlot?”

“Just you,” the girl that mattered said, eyes never leaving me, probably hoping I didn’t see the way her foot was playing with the ground as she tried to act cool.

“Starlight, what are you doing?” Red asked, giving me a name to go with the face. The two went to communicating entirely through looks and head pointing as I chewed my burger and turned the page of my book, The Flowers of Evil, scanning the first line of the new poem. Soon, they reformed their united front. “Just answer her question.”

“Nope, don’t know anyone in Canterlot. Always kind of just wanted to grab my motorcycle and drive over, though. I hear it’s a hell of a view climbing that mountain. Be a lot better if they got rid of the people, though.” I looked at Starlight. “Can’t you imagine it, you and one other person climbing the mountain, then seeing the whole world. No parking garages or condos or highrises or billboards selling you the shortest skirts, just things like they should be.” She gave the faintest smile, imagining that and if I played my cards right, maybe a little more. I smirked. "That's pretty close to here, isn't it?"

“Great,” Red said. “Another antisocial loser. Just what Westercolt needed. Come on, Starlight.” She turned to go and stomped. Starlight stayed where she was. Red noticed. “Come on, Starlight,” she said, this time pulling on the girl’s arm. Starlight followed, still managing to look over her shoulder at me as she left. I grabbed my book, reading it nonchalant and holding it so if she was paying attention, she’d see the title.

I got to read for all of forty seconds before a grey hand blocked the view. “Hey, sweetheart, what did your girlfriend say when you announced you were moving all the way out to Colt Lake, Winniesota?”

There were two of them. One brown, one grey, both with bangs covering their eyes and obnoxious letter jackets, that would be the jocks, then. I weighed my options as the brown one joined in. “My buddy Score just asked you a question.”

“Hey, Hoops,” Score said as I made up my mind on just how to deal with them, with more and more eyes turning to us. “Doesn’t this cafeteria have a no dykes allowed rule?” Yeah, they’d do just fine for my demonstration.

“Well, they seem to have an open door policy for assholes, though, don't they?” I said. Their brows scrunched up in confusion and anger as I stood up, slowly putting together that I’d insulted them. I didn’t give them time to finish making the connection as my book arced from it’s spot on the table into Score’s face, hardback proving it’s worth as he stumbled back. Then a turn and a hard knee to go between Hoops’s legs, to get him out of the fight and even their number advantage.

For good measure, I grabbed him by the varsity jacket and shoved him off against the wall as he collapsed, then pivoting back to Score for another fist to the face. And another. He lashed out and I juked to the side, his meaty fist sailing past me on an undisturbed voyage. I kicked his leg out from under him while he threw off his center of balance.

Right as my foot was stomping his gut for the fourth time, the cafeteria monitor, some chick teacher I hadn’t had yet, got between us. I stopped, impression made, every eye in the room on me, their expressions saying what I wanted them to:

Holy shit.

Everyone except Starlight, she was looking at me instead of my carnage, a little, dreamy smile on her face. I grinned at her even as some cafeteria monitor shouted at me, ordering me to the principal’s office, the two jocks still writhing on the ground.

Holy shit, indeed.

Author's Note:

Ok, so I hope it's pretty obvious what exactly the "crossover" element is, but just in case, the first person to say it in the comments gets a gold star.
Hope you all enjoy, I've been kicking around a Sunset/Starlight fic for a while, going through a bunch of ideas I hated, and this was the first one I really liked. (I think the first idea was inspired by The Man Who Was Thursday, and although I loved the idea of anarchist Sunset Shimmer, a whole story about her overthrowing Human Equestria just didn't feel interesting.