• Published 22nd Dec 2018
  • 665 Views, 18 Comments

It's A Pony Kind of Christmas - rillegas08



The Rainbooms and some of their friends present an Equestrian-themed Christmas pageant at CHS.

  • ...
4
 18
 665

Act 2: Christmas is Here


SCENE 1


The curtains parted, revealing the still-undecorated main hall of Twilight's castle on one side and facades of Ponyville's stores on the other. Spike sat on his haunches, watching Twilight pace back and forth. The stage lights fully lit Twilight's castle, but kept the town in dim light.

"What am I going to do? I can't do everything I need to by tonight!"

At that moment Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack approached the castle and knocked on the massive door.

"Hey, Twilight? Somepony's at the door." Spike tried to get Twilight's attention, but Twilight was too focused on her nervous pacing to notice. Spike shrugged and went to the door, opening it.

"Howdy, Spike. Is Twilight home?" Spike pointed a paw at the pacing girl, and she looked where he was pointing. "Ah."

"Yup. She spent so long making a list of what she needs to do that she put herself in a holiday meltdown."

Applejack approached her unicorn friend and placed her hands on Twilight's shoulders, jarring the nervous girl back to reality. "Take a deep breath." Twilight inhaled deeply and held the air in, her cheeks puffed out. "Now let it out sloooooooooowwww..." Twilight let out all the air, blowing Applejack's hair. "Spike told us about yer list. Well, we're here to help. Why don't you focus on shopping for gifts, a tree, and whatnot, and the rest of us can take care of decoratin'?"

Twilight immediately calmed down and picked up her list to look it over. "That would be like cutting my list in half. That should be doable in one day. Thanks, Applejack!"

"It was actually Rarity's idea, since she was able to wrangle up some ponies to help," Applejack gestured toward Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

"We finished decorating the Boutique sooner than expected with the extra helping hooves, so I was able to squeeze your castle in after all, darling."

"Hate to interrupt," said Rainbow Dash, to which Rarity let out an amused chuckle at the irony of her statement, "but we all know you well enough to know that you're going to want as much time as possible to get everything perfect. Plus it'll give us more time to spruce up your castle."

"Good idea. Spike!" she called out, and soon the little dragon appeared in the main hall. "Get your things. We're going shopping."

Twilight and Spike put on their packs and left the building, crossing the stage to the set of Ponyville's storefronts. Rarity cast a sideways glance to Rainbow Dash

"Really, Rainbow Dash?" she asked. "Spruce it up?"

The lights followed Twilight and Spike to the other side of the stage where the town set was placed. The lights on the other side where Twilight's castle was set dimmed, and the actors froze. Twilight and Spike passed from one storefront to the other.

We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy New Year

Through the streets of boutiques
Picking out the perfect presents
Every shop, have to stop
Try to find the perfect gift

A tree lot was wheeled in front of the storefronts from offstage, and Twilight and Spike browsed the lot.

Now the tree has to be
Just the perfect one – that's it! That's the one!
Every light shining bright
Starting from the base to tip!

One of the 2-dimensional trees started leaning to the side, and Twilight righted it with her magic. The actor dressed as the lot's owner wrapped a ribbon around the trunk and wheeled the tree lot back offstage, and Twilight and Spike continued shopping, picking up the rest of the items on her list, including a dress with neon green and black stripes.

Have to bake, decorate
Now I need the perfect dress – a success!
Oh, no, I can't be late
I've got Pinkie Pie's party date
Where everypony sings

We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy New Year

Twilight ended the song with one hand stretched toward her castle and her other hand on her geode. The music continued, but the key changed to a higher tune as the lights on the town dimmed and the lights on Twilight's castle were brought up. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack were joined by several others to help decorate and sing. Rarity had put on an apron and a pair of red-rimmed glasses that she wore whenever she did hard work. Meanwhile, on the other side of the stage, Twilight used her magic during the song to lift the decorations to the higher parts of the set.

Fa-la-la, fa-la-la
Fa-la-la-ahhh
Fa-la-la, fa-la-la
Fa-la-la-ahhh

Rarity started singing alone.

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
'Tis the season to be jolly
Christmas day's around the corner

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Light the hearth, let's make things warmer

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

The background pony who owned the tree lot wheeled the tree across the stage, placing it in the center of the castle's foyer.

Bring the tree in front and center

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Gleaming bright in all its splendor

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Boughs of fir upon the mantle
Shining stars, each dancing candle
Draped in ribbons red and silver
Joy upon us is delivered

The choir joined with Rarity once again.

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Fa-la-la, la-la-la
Fa-la-la-la
Fa-la-la, la-la-la
Fa-la-la-la

Wrap our gifts in colored paper

Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

Tie with bows and store for later

Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

Set the feast upon the table

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Friends together, willing, able
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Fa-la-la, fa-la-la
Fa-la-la-ahhh
Fa-la-la, fa-la-la
Fa-la-la-ahhh...

Twilight stepped through the doors of her castle as the music faded. Her eyes widened as she took in how amazing her friends had made her castle look in the "hours" that she'd been shopping.

"Wow, Rarity! This looks amazing!"

"Why, thank you, darling!" she replied, rubbing her hands on her apron before removing it and folding it over her arm. "It was a bit of a challenge decorating the whole castle, but we had plenty of helping hands." She turned to Twilight. "How does the outside of your castle look?"

"The pegasi are still working on it, but it's looking great."

"Hey, Rarity," said Rainbow Dash, getting her friend's attention. "I promised Scootaloo I'd spend some time with her before dark."

"Help the rest of the pegasi finish outside, and then we can say your debt is paid."

"Sweet!" the blue girl said and zoomed out through the castle's doors.

"Wait, what debt?" asked Twilight, and the lights faded.


SCENE 2


The lights came back up on the inside of Twilight's castle, now filled with all the actors.

Twilight noticed Fluttershy looking out the window.

"Hey, Fluttershy," she said, and the yellow girl jumped a bit. "Everything all right?"

"Oh, yes. Everything is great. I just love watching snow flutter down. It's so peaceful!"

"Oh, hey, it is snowing!" Twilight looked out the window, sipping at her drink as she watched the soft flakes fall. After a moment she turned around, looking at her friends and townsponies in her foyer. The lights dimmed, and a spotlight focused on Twilight. She took her cup of mint hot chocolate up the stairs and looked over the balcony at everypony as they talked and sang.

Ponies caroling, singing songs we know and love
Music fills the air, rising to the stars above
Watching snow, reading by the fire
Family close, stockings hung with care
Outside those ponies singing merrily
Listen close as they start to sing

Everyone below her began harmonizing.

We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy New Year

Everyone else stopped singing, leaving Twilight to sing her next verse. She made her way back down the stairs, rejoining her friends. After her verse, everyone joined in once again, bringing the song to a wonderful finish.

Time to stop and count my blessings
Put the craziness aside
Christmas only comes around once a year
And every year fills my heart with pride
When everypony sings

We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy... New... Year

As the music faded, the spotlight turned off and Twilight rejoined her friends as the lights were brought to normal levels.

"Well, I gotta get back home," said Applejack, handing her half-filled mug of cider to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow gulped it down and wiped her mouth. Applejack adjusted her hat and put on her jacket, waving to her friends. "See y'all tomorrow!" Her friends all waved back and continued socializing, talking quieter and quieter as the lights faded until it was black.


SCENE 3


The lights rise on the interior of the Apples' farmhouse, showing a kitchen, dining room, living room, and stairs up from the living room to the second floor, all decorated with garland. Applebloom places a paper snowflake onto the living room window, then looks out the window before turning to the rest of her family.

"Applejack's back!"

She opened the door to let her sister in. Applejack stepped into the farmhouse, shaking snow off her hat before placing it back on her head.

"Hey y'all. How's dinner coming along?"

"Almost done," said Granny Smith. "Table should be set."

"Eeyup," said Big Mac as he placed the last glass on the table set for six.

"Applejack, can I ask you somethin'?" asked Applebloom, pointing to the living room.

"Sure, Applebloom," she said, following her sister to the other room. "What is it?"

"I know we always set two empty chairs fer Mom and Dad, but why do we keep doin' it?"

Applejack sighed and got down on one knee, placing one hand on her little sister's shoulder. "It's important to us to involve them even though they've been gone so long. Big Mac and I remember them, but mostly we keep those place settings for Granny's sake. Dad was Granny's son, and Mom became like her daughter after they got married. We have a really big family, but even that doesn't compare to that kind of relationship."

Granny Smith made sure each chair was pushed in, taking longer at the two chairs left for the Apple siblings' parents.

"That's why we sing that song, too. Christmas is a time to remember not only the family we still have, but those who have had a large impact on our lives but have left us. Not even decades of time can break a bond like that." Applejack wiped a tear from her eye. "Come on, Applebloom. Dinner's ready."

They rejoined Granny and Big Mac, who were already sitting around the table. Applejack took her place at the head of the table across from Granny. She picked up her glass and tapped her spoon against it, making a tone ring out.

When family cannot be here
Havin' journeyed far and wide
We sing a song to honor them
To remember days gone by

Applebloom joined singing with her sister.

So take your cup and raise it high
Just as surely I'll do mine
And laugh we will at stories told
As we smile at days gone by
As we smile at days gone by

Granny Smith joined singing with her granddaughters.

For family not here, my dears
Havin' journeyed far and wide
For loyalty and kindness both
We smile at days gone by

Applejack sang alone again.

Our paths will cross again one day
In time to reunite
For family is always near
Even when the seas are wide

Apple Bloom rejoined her sister.

So take your cup and raise it high
Just as surely I'll do mine
And make a toast for family
And the tales of days gone by

All four Apples joined together in harmony.

For family not here, my dears
Havin' journeyed far and wide
For loyalty and kindness both
Take joy at days gone by

For loyalty and kindness both
We smile at days gone by


SCENE 4


The scenery shifted from the Apples' farmhouse to the inside of Fluttershy's cottage and backyard, all of which were filled with furry creatures, some asleep and some still awake. Fluttershy passed through the door of the cottage. Some birds removed her hat, scarf, and jacket for her, hanging them up on hooks by the door.

"Oh, hi everyone. Sorry I'm late. Did you all stay warm?" The animals nodded, some vocalizing. "Good. It's good to know I can trust Angel when I have to be away." She bent down and rubbed Angel Bunny's head between his ears. He frowned and crossed his arms. "All right, everyone, got to bed. It's past your bed time." The animals groaned as if they didn't want to go to bed yet. "I know, I know. Tomorrow's Christmas, but Santa won't come if you're not asleep." She began ushering every animal into their respective sleep areas, moving outside.

Silent night, starry night
All is calm, all is bright
'Round the forest, parents and young
Gentle creatures everyone
Home in burrows deep
Home in their burrows deep

Silent night, starry night
Snowfall makes the meadows white
Huddle close to keep family warm
Tomorrow's dawn will bring Christmas morn
Now the day is done
Now that the day is done

Silent night, starry night
Leaves are still and the moon's in sight
Dreams are born as their eyes fall closed
Tomorrow's gift is that nobody knows
Sleep in beautiful peace
Sleep in beautiful peace

Oh-whoa
Oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-whoa-oh-oh
Oh-whoa

Sleep in beautiful peace
Sleep in beautiful peace
Sleep in beautiful peace
Sleep in beautiful peace
Sleep in beautiful peace
Sleep in beautiful peace...

Fluttershy smiled. "Good night everyone. Sleep well."

The lights faded to black.


SCENE 5


The lights came up on the bedroom of a house. Pop Fly was laying under the covers of his bed. His alarm went off, and he sat up in his bed to turn it off. He rubbed his eyes.

"It's Christmas Day!" he gasped and jumped out of bed, leaving the sheets a mess. He paused at the door. "Wait a minute." then turned around and made his bed before hurrying to the stairs with a smile, but his expression fell as he hesitated at the top.

"What if I wasn't good enough this year?" he asked himself. Flash Sentry stepped into the upstairs hallway.

"What's wrong, little brother?"

"I did everything I could to be good this year, but I still can't help thinking that it might not have been enough." Flash put his hand on Pop Fly's shoulder. "The Crusaders made a whole list of things I could do this year to get on Santa's "Nice" list, and I checked nearly everything off, but..."

Flash chuckled. "Pop, if nothing else, worrying about not being good enough is enough of a step in the right direction in my book."

"Thanks, Flash," Pop smiled, "but you're not Santa."

They got to the bottom and turned toward the living room, but Flash stepped toward the kitchen, taking a wrapped gift out of the cabinet. Pop looked at the tree and the presents underneath, and Flash tapped his brother's arm with the gift.

"I may not be Santa Claus," he said, "but you're still my little brother who did his best to be nice this year. I know our family always opens our gifts at the same time, but go ahead and open it."

Pop Fly removed the bow and unwrapped the box. He lifted the lid, revealing a folded shirt with

NAUGHTY
NICE ✔

on it. Pop Fly and Flash Sentry hugged.

"I'm going back upstairs to get Mom and Dad," said Flash.

Pop pumped his fist in the air when Flash was out of earshot.

This year, no more coal for Christmas (Yes!)
Santa took me off the naughty list (Woo-hoo!)
I might keep it up because it's really not so bad
So Santa, just bring presents
Please, dear Santa, no more lessons
Next year, Santa, just bring presents, I insist!

"Seriously."

The lights went dark, and the curtains closed.


SCENE 6


Sunset Shimmer stepped out from behind the stage left curtain, crossed to center stage, and addressed the audience, both spotlights focused on her.

"And so, Christmas morning has come, bringing with it not only presents to boys and girls everywhere, but -- more importantly -- family and friends closer to each other as well. We have one last song for you, a song not from this world but from Equestria itself."

All the actors and chorus members started filing in from both sides of the stage behind Sunset.

As dawn shines on us every morn
The fire of friendship is reborn
And all the friendships we have made
We cherish in every way

Loyalty binds us and makes us strong
Honesty shows that we belong
And kindness shared will unite us through each day

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts
As long as it burns, we cannot drift apart
Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few
Laughter and singing will see us through

We are a circle of pony friends
A circle of friends we'll be to the very end

Though the winter brings all its cold and storm
The glow in our hearts keeps us warm
The friends we now call our family
Will always see us through

Loyalty binds us and makes us strong
Honesty shows that we belong
And kindness shared will unite us through each day

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts
As long as it burns, we cannot drift apart
Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few
Laughter and singing will see us through

We are a circle of pony friends
A circle of friends we'll be to the very end

Sunset Shimmer addressed the audience once again. "You can find the lyrics to the chorus on the last page of your programs. We ask you to join us as we sing it one more time." The house lights brightened, and there was a shuffle of paper as every audience member turned to the proper page and began singing along with the cast

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts
As long as it burns, we cannot drift apart
Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few
Laughter and singing will see us through
We are a circle of pony friends
A circle of friends we'll be to the very end

The stage lights dimmed as the two spotlights focused on Sunset.

"Friends and family are very important to the ponies of Equestria. They're so important, in fact, that the plants actually thrive where the bonds of friendship and family are strong and find it difficult to survive where such bonds are weak or absent. This Christmas season, even though this world isn't nearly as tied to the magic of friendship as Equestria is, I urge you not to forget how important the friends, family, and loved ones in your lives are to you." Then Sunset began singing a capella.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on our troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the Yuletide gay
From now on our troubles will be miles away
Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more

So we sit by the fire this December
Watching embers glow
Happiness is momentary bliss you know
Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to make it through somehow

The cast started filing out of the wings. Sunset's six closest friends and Spike moved to either side of her.

Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore

Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Spike began singing with their friend.

Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more

Everyone else began singing.

Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

The cast held the last note for several seconds before cutting it off as the stage plunged into darkness.

Comments ( 7 )

Looks good. Though a little nitpick: on the show, Applejack's dad was Granny Smith's son while her mom is the daughter of Grand Pear. Just thought I should point that out.

Bravo! Bravo! Beautiful work! :twilightsmile:

9387321
Oh, wow. Thanks! Fixed.

9387332
-bows- Thank you, thank you!

You earned yourself a favorite.

Comment posted by PanHead 537 deleted May 21st, 2019
Login or register to comment