• Published 18th Mar 2019
  • 3,116 Views, 92 Comments

Spells and Rainbows - 6-D Pegasus



Starlight learns why you shouldn't cast a speed spell on the fastest pegasus in Equestria,

  • ...
5
 92
 3,116

Gotta Go Fast(er)

Author's Note:

This story idea died a while ago, BUT I was able to stretch the chapter to where i could release the first half. It would be great if you could give feedback on my style and such so I know how to improve as I finish the second half.

P.S I had accidently hit publish way before I submitted the story, so it shows the date the chapter was more or less done. This chapter was published on March 17, 2019.

Students bustled about the hallways of the School of Friendship, the last class having ended mere seconds ago. Doors opened and closed all over the place, and the ground shook slightly from the sheer number of hooves, paws, and claws that carried their owners from room to room. Every now and then a book would drop, some papers would scatter, even a whole body would fall before someone near helped them back up.

One particular set of cyan hooves exited a classroom then vanished as its owner opened her wings and took to the air to avoid the crowd. The cyan, rainbow maned pegasus flew through the maze of hallways, swiftly avoiding any aerial traffic with a turn of the wing and a quick apology, until she eventually made it to the school's open front doors.

Once again, zero crashes! And in only twelve and a half seconds! One day... Although she never mentioned it to anypony else, Rainbow Dash was pretty proud of her ability to navigate her way through the school's crowded hallways in record time without smashing into another creature.

Rainbow pumped a hoof in the air in light of her little achievement and headed out to Ponyville to find something for lunch. Preferably a hayburger. With extra fries.

During the week, every day started the same. Her alarm air horn would blare about a half hour following the sunrise, prompting Rainbow to stick a hoof out from under the blanket and smash the offending item to pieces. Then she would fall back asleep and stay under for a good hour until Celestia's sun was in the right angle to shine straight through her window and bathe her entire bed in light. Once awake, she would proceed to have a panic attack and rush through her morning routine: shower, breakfast, feed Tank, turn room upside down looking for the day's lecture book, speed to Twilight's castle to drop the smashed alarm clock at Starlight's room for her to fix, then fly straight to the school and through the open window of her classroom seconds before her first students trotted on in. Five minutes after that class ended another group of students would enter for the exact same course, and Rainbow would more or less just repeat everything she had just said and done earlier.

Once that class was finished, Rainbow would race through the student-filled hallways from her classroom door to the school's main doors, timing herself in an attempt to get it done in ten seconds flat. She would then fly out to Ponyville to grab lunch, then fly to Starlight's room to pick up her now magically repaired alarm clock to bring back to her cloud house. From there, the rest of the day was hers. She would sometimes practice some new flight trick, spy on her own fanclub, bust clouds for the fun and nostalgia, screw with other ponies with said clouds, read some Daring Do, hang out with her friends if something was planned, nap in most cases, or something else entirely.

Today was slightly different however. As Rainbow started to leave the school, a flash of purple light near the castle caught her eye. Narrowing her eyes, Rainbow saw that it was just Twilight. She was wearing a saddlebag with a single, thick textbook and was levitating an open notebook in front of her. After thinking over it for a second, Rainbow decided to fly over to her.

"Hey Twilight!" Twilight's ears perked at her friend's voice, and she paused right in front of her castle's open doors. She closed her notebook and placed it back in her saddlebag. She turned around and waved a hoof at the rainbow trail headed in her direction.

Rainbow glided down and landed next to Twilight, folding her wings to her side as she did. The two of them continued into the castle. "I thought you usually have a class to teach at this time."

Twilight's horn lit up and the doors were surrounded in a warm, magenta glow before quickly closing. "I do, but Starlight offered to teach it for me today. She hasn't had anypony come in for counseling all week, and when she learned what my noontime class was about, she asked if she could take my spot for the day."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. "Starlight wanted to teach about Equestrian history?"

Twilight looked at Rainbow in confusion before the realization hit her. "Ohhh, no no no. While I do teach several history classes in the morning, I teach two different classes at noon and later in the afternoon."

"Wait, you don't just teach one subject?" Rainbow put a hoof to her chin in thought. "I thought you decided to teach history class, since you wanted to make sure all creatures would be able to attend."

"No, that's correct." Twilight floated her notebook back out and opened it to a bookmarked page. On the bottom read the current date, and graphed out in cells were what looked like a color-coded schedule. "But just because I teach a history class doesn't mean I can't teach magic or advanced multivariable calcu-"

"Woah woah woah, you teach magic classes now?!" Rainbow struggled to remember the day of the school's opening, when the six of them, Starlight, and Spike were deciding how to divide up responsibilities. "I thought we were all just teaching classes in our corresponding element!"

Twilight nodded her head. "Yes, that's what we all agreed on the first day. But after our little 'fallout' with the EEA, I realized that because our school no longer adhered to EEA guidelines, each of us could start teaching multiple subjects if we wanted to. For example, while Applejack is our school's Honesty teacher, she also holds a few classes in farming and agriculture. Rarity also teaches a class in the history of fashion in addition to her normal Generosity lectures." With each example, Twilight flipped to another page bookmarked with the cutie mark of said pony. "Fluttershy gives Kindness lectures along with basic biology, and I teach history, magic, and advanced math. And Pinkie... " Twilight looked away in thought for a second. "I think Pinkie holds classes in every subject."

Rainbow spent around ten seconds absorbing it all before shaking her head. "But since when could we teach different classes?! I've been wanting to teach a class about super awesome flight tricks, but I thought it wouldn't be cool that you need to fly to really gain from it."

Twilight rolled her eyes and gave a light chuckle. "Well, I thought you would have remembered the meeting I held the following week after established our cessation from the EEA's policies. But now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure you nodded off half-way through." The textbook floated out of Twilight's saddlebag in front of her, and the notebook closed and took its place in it.

"While magic is indeed a subject typically reserved for unicorns, my textbook also teaches about the application of magic in pegasi, earth ponies, and other creatures." Twilight turned the textbook to a chapter that discussed just that. "Even non-unicorns can be eager to learn about the complexity of spells, just like how in the human world, there's nothing wrong with a computer science major taking a course in ancient mythology. Sometimes, I even see Pinkie attending my magic classes. I thought of asking her about it, but for my own good I decided against it. However, I don't see anything wrong with you teaching a class in a subject you hold passion in, even if mainly pegasi can attend."

Twilight closed the textbook and floated it back into her saddlebag before turning an excited Rainbow Dash. "As for my magic class, I had already told my students yesterday that today I would be demonstrating more advanced magic spells for those interested in learning more. Of course, I intended on doing the demonstration myself, but when Starlight came up to me practically begging to let her substitute for me, I figured it would be a good opportunity for her to connect more with the students. Besides, she's more than suited for doing demonstrations in magic. Remember the day she... um... " Twilight bit her lip and looked away sheepishly. "... accidently brainwashed the five of you?"

Rainbow folded her hooves to her chest and grumbled under her breath. "Yeah, I don't know if I can call that an accident, but-"

Twilight cut her off. "Well earlier that day, I held a short magic lesson with her just to try to see how her magic capabilities stand in comparison to my own, and I have to say I was very impressed by what she could do. She had more or less the same level of mastery over transformative magic as I did, could track and follow the leylines of my teleportation spell with less than a second of delay, and knew how to create different forms of magic shields to adapt against varying magic blasts! If I has faced off against her when I was still a unicorn, she would have wiped the floor with me! I don't think even Trixie when she had the Alicorn Amulet would have stood much of a chance against her."

Rainbow gawked at what her friend had just told her. "So how come you couldn't beat her in the past when I was doing my sonic rainboom? I thought as an alicorn, you have way more magic potential than-"

"If Starlight and I went head to head using nothing but single, concentrated beams of magic, I probably would have overwhelmed her eventually, but even now I'm not sure, and I don't to put either of us in danger just to find out. Spell casting seems to come so naturally to her, she can figure out how to weave together multiple complex spells as if she were throwing them into a bowl and baking them into a cake. On that one day I mentioned earlier, she was showing me how she was able combine a very old illusion spell, Simulo Duplexis, with a more recent spell, Accelero-"

"Wait did I hear that right? Accelero? Is that a speed spell or something? "

Twilight blinked, thrown off a little her friend's sudden interruption. "Yes, that's right. I'm surprised you know about it. Anyway, she was able to simultaneously maintain a combination of the two to make what looked like another... her. Illusion spells only create a light projection, and attempting to touch one will dispel it since there's nothing actually there. Somehow Starlight used Accelero to oscillate between two illusions of herself to make them more tangible, thus creating a..."

Twilight continued to eagerly ramble on, unaware that her words were falling on deaf ears. A single thought echoed throughout Rainbow's mind, pushing out all concepts of rationale and caution.

Accelero = accelerate
Accelerate = increase in speed
Increase in speed = get faster
Get faster = GOTTA GO FAST!!!!

Rainbow slowly began to inch backwards towards the door. "Well, nice talking to you Twilight but I really have to go fast- I mean FINISH! Something... else..."

Twilight turned back to her friend in concern, who had just begun to open the crystal doors. "Rainbow, are you alright? You know if there's something bothering you, you can always te-"

"Anywayigottagonowgreattalktwilightseeyoutomorrow!"

With that Rainbow opened her wings and shot straight through the open doorway into the clear, blue sky, leaving behind a very confused purple alicorn.


"Ahh well that went way better than I expected."

The hallways of the School were once again filled with students, the air filled with excited chatter about pretty much any subject you could think of. Among these students was a lilac colored unicorn who wore an expression of both exhaustion and satisfaction. After exiting her classroom she waited patiently until an opening appeared in the flood of students, then deftly jumped in and followed the flow of traffic to her office.

Of course I was glad enough to be able to show off to the students a few complex spells, especially a few I wrote hoof first. I didn't realize how excited some of them were for practicing advanced magic, even if their special talent didn't have anything to do with it.

Upon reaching the office donning the name 'Guidance Counselor', Starlight Glimmer magically opened the door and trotted on in, closing the door behind her and switching her 'Available' sign to the green side. I'll have to talk to Twilight later about maybe teaching my own class in magic.

Starlight began to trot to her desk when a thought crossed her mind. Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised that there was a Pegasus filly attending the demo. Not only that, but she was paying WAY more attention than any of the other students, and looked way more serious than her usual self...

"What if..." Starlight pondered over a specific thought for a good minute before dismissing it altogether. She trotted over to her chair and reclined it all the way back before laying down it. She closed her eyes and took a calm breath. "Nah, you're just being paranoid Starlight. Let's just resolve some students' existential crisis, take a long nap, then-"

"THEN PRACTICE SOME SPELLS?!"

Starlight's eyes snapped open and she was greeted to the sight of a specific rainbow-maned pegasus hovering upside-down inches away from her face.

"AHH!" Starlight shrieked in surprise, her horn flaring with bright teal light before unleashing a beam of magic upwards at the supposed intruder.

"Woah!" CRASH!

Luckily for Rainbow, her quick reflexes allowed her to narrowly steer clear of the blast moments before it would have scorched her. The beam travelled through the newly vacated spot and slammed into the ceiling, where it reduced a considerable portion into a cloud of dust and debris. Moments later, a couple of ponies peered through the hole with shocked looks, curious as to what it was that had almost put them in a hospital.

"Sorry, my fault! Totally my fault!" Starlight coughed from the dust cloud after apologizing to the pair of ponies. After shaking her head to clear her mind, she closed her eyes and called upon a new spell she had recently mastered. Her horn glowed with a teal light even brighter than before, forcing Rainbow to bring a hoof up to her eyes to shield them.

A magic bubble enveloped the pair, and Rainbow felt an unknown force lift her and Starlight off the ground. A faint ticking sound echoed through the air surrounding them. Rainbow looked around and noticed the settling dust cloud begin to rise in the air once more. Pieces of debris jerked about on the ground before rising with the cloud towards the hole in the ceiling. Rainbow squinted her eyes as she watched everything unfold from inside Starlight's shield, and her jaw fell when she noticed the hands on the wall clock were moving backwards. Gradually, the dust and debris concentred around the hole until they reformed into the destroyed chunk of ceiling like nothing happened.

After about ten seconds the magic bubble burst, and the two ponies landed on their hooves back on solid ground. Starlight glanced at the ceiling and, upon seeing the lack of giant holes in it, briefly sighed in relief before turning on her friend in agitation. "We both know whose fault that was. Ugh what the hay, Rainbow?! I thought I told you not to pull one on me like that again! That's the second time I've had to fix the ceiling this week!"

Rainbow gave Starlight a confused look. " Uhhh what are you talking about? That's the first time I've ever caught you off guard. "

"Really?" Starlight looked up and furrowed her eyebrows in contemplation as she quietly counted something off to herself. "Oh, that must have been Pinkie Pie then. She catches me off guard on a near daily basis." She paused. "Well now you know. Please don't try to catch me off guard like that again, at least not while we're indoors or surrounded by anypony. So what do you need?"

Rainbow's jaw was still down.

Starlight her eyes before reaching a hoof up and closing it for her. Only then did Rainbow regain her train of thought. "You can do time magic just like that now?! I thought Twilight said you needed some sort of scroll to do anything as complicated as that! Even you needed one when you um... messed with the map... no offense."

Starlight rolled her eyes and shook her head before chuckling lightly to herself. "Rainbow, that's got to be at least a year ago, that's more than enough time for me to improve my magic! Besides, that spell wasn't as complex as the one Starswirl wrote. It just undoes the last minute or less, not enough to risk creating insane, apocalyptic timelines, but perfect for fixing all kinds of mistakes." Starlight raised an eyebrow. "So why did you want to talk again? "

Rainbow stared at Starlight for another few seconds before remembering what she was doing there. "Oh, right yeah! So I was talking with Twilight about an hour ago and she told me that you can do all kinds of spells."

Starlight's expression brightened a little. "She did? Well, I mean I DID study under wing for a while after she reopened me to friendship, and her castle library is filled with so many spell books. I don't always go out of my way to learn every spell that exists, but if I'm bored and there are these spells I've never heard of just sitting there right in front of me, I'll go for it! I mean, do you have any idea how old some of the spells in those books are? Some aren't even taught at Celestia's own prestigious school, like Visionem Sanorum, Simulo Duplexis, or-"

"Or Accelero?" Rainbow cut off Starlight's rant, much to her chagrin.

"Well, yes Accelero was one of the spells I learned from Twilight's library, but it's not really that old of a spell. It was invented by some unicorn named Berry Halen, but he disappeared before they could-"

"Is it a speed spell?"

"That's a bit of an understatement, but I guess you can call it that."

"Great! Can you cast it on me?"

Starlight eyes widened and she backpedalled a few steps. "Woah, Rainbow slow down! First of all, why do you need it? Aren't you, um, fast enough already-"

Starlight's words caught in her mouth as Rainbow quickly covered the distance between them and got right in her face. "There is no fast enough." After a second, Rainbow chuckled to herself and backed out of Starlight's personal bubble. "Hehe, sorry about that."

Starlight blinked in surprise and decided to forget what had just happened. "And secondly, the spell is meant to work only on the pony who casts it. The experience is... weird. It's not a time spell, so if I cast it on myself for five seconds, it still seems like five seconds to me. The difference is that the spell also accelerates the speed of the mind, so it can keep up with my body. Otherwise I'll just crash into a wall everytime I move." Starlight looked back to Rainbow and cocked her head. "You still haven't answered my first question. Why do you need something like a speed spell?"

Rainbow looked away in embarrassment. "It's just... something I've always been curious about. Ever since I first saw Twilight trying it out, I've always wondered what would happen if it was cast on somepony like me, you know? She used it to get her errands done faster until she figured out how to teleport without trouble. I kept asking her if I could, you know... have a go, but she claimed it would be way too dangerous. According to her, my sonic rainbooms might be possible because I just have more... pegasus magic in me."

Starlight nodded. "I guess that makes sense, she told me once that creatures born with abnormally high amounts of magic should be capable of things usually deemed impossible, like how Rockhoof transformed without any known cause." Her eyes widened. "Do you think Twilight believes you were born with more pegasus magic than normal, and that trying to cast a highly complex spell matrix on you could react unpredictably with inherent magic?"

All Rainbow could do was just shrug."I don't know, she never said it but... I guess that's what it is."

Starlight stood in contemplation for a while before trotting over to her door and magically switching the sign on the window to "Unavailable". After checking through the window to make sure nopony was planning on entering, she turned back to Rainbow. "Okay, you have my curious now as well. But if we're going to do this, it's best not to do it at the school, especially with so many students still here."

Her horn began to glow with a teal aura and before Rainbow could blink, her world dissolved in a flash of teal light.


"Sister, are you alright?"

Celestia shook herself out of the trance and glanced to at her lunar counterpart, who gazed concerningly at her from her throne seat. "Um, yes I'm fine Luna, just..."

A warm, yellow glow enveloped her horn. Luna and the few guards in the throne with them noticed their surroundings beginning to take on a faint yellow hue. Upon glancing outside, Luna noticed that a large, golden shield bubble now stood around the entire castle. Luna spoke back to her sister, alarm slightly evident in her tone. "Sister, what is the meaning o-"

"Nothing you need to worry about, sister." Celestia smiled like absolutely nothing was wrong. "Just a feeling."


POP!

Starlight's room at the castle was momentarily bathed in the bright, lilac light of the teleportation spell before she and Rainbow appeared from within.

*cough cough* "Remind me next time before you do that, Starlight." *wheeeeze*

Starlight stared in bemusement at the coughing pegasus on her floor. A faint grin appeared on her face. "I wonder where I've heard that before. "

Ignoring the comment, Rainbow quickly got back up and brushed herself off with a wing. She realized she had never actually seen Starlight's room before and took a look around. It didn't look to different from the castle's other rooms, save for a few kites and framed pictures on the walls. She gazed concerningly at the frame with the "no equality" symbol for an extra second before moving on. Her attention was then drawn to Starlight's writing desk, where a completely intact air horn alarm clock stood. She grinned sheepishly while rubbing the back of her neck. "Hey, um thanks for fixing my alarm clock again."

Starlight waved off the compliment. "Oh, it's nothing. It does help having something to practice my magic on every morning. Think of it like a ..." Starlight searched for the right word. "...a warmup!"

Rainbow made a mental note to herself to bring the alarm clock back home once she was done. "So, why are we at the castle? Are we going to test it here? "

Starlight's eyes bugged out of their sockets as she mentally played out what might happen if she did just that. "Nononono no!" Starlight flailed her hooves frantically at Rainbow to emphasize her meaning. "These walls may be made of crystal, but they're definitely far from unbreakable. I don't want Twilight yelling at me again..."

"Sorry! I was just- ... wait, again?"

"Never mind that." Starlight quickly put the conversation back on track before some embarrassing things were revealed. "And no, we're not doing this near any buildings of any kind, just to be safe. I'm just picking up something that will help me with this. "

With that, Starlight turned on her hooves and trotted over to her bed. Her horn lit up, and a small crystal box floated out from under the mattress. Ugh, Pinkie was right, a closet would be really helpful...

"What's that?"

"This is a Hearth's Warming gift from Sunburst last year." The crystal lid separated from the box and out floated a necklace of sorts. It was made of a string of extremely fine metal loops, which was connected to itself by a large, teal gemstone. Though Rainbow waved it off as a reflection, she could have sworn she saw a faint glow coming from the stone while it was in the box. "This gemstone is a very rare type of crystal that's only found in the Crystal Empire. It has the ability to store almost any spell and casts it as its wearer desires it to be. Over a thousand years ago, the unicorn tribe used these stones to give crop growth and food preservation spells to the pegasi and earth pony tribes. They would also use them to store heat spells during the summer, so during the winter they wouldn't exhaust their magic reserves just trying to stay warm."

Rainbow tried her best to stifle her need to yawn."Yeah that's pretty cool. How will it help us again? "

"Well, the speed spell was designed to affect the caster only. When I showed it to Twilight, I didn't specify myself as the target since it automatically targets the caster, and to change it so it affects somepony else would require me to start from scratch. So, I found a way to 'trick' the spell." Starlight lowered her horn to the gemstone and closed her eyes. For a few seconds, the teal light around the gem brightened somewhat before turning white and dimming back down. After she opened her eyes, Starlight inspected the necklace one last time before nodding and floating it over to Rainbow. "Here, put this on. I need to make sure it still works."

Rainbow swiped the item out of the air with a hoof and used her wings to clip it around her neck. Not a second later, Starlight lit her horn again and closed the curtains on all the windows, bathing the room in darkness.

"Hey! Turn the lights back on! I can't... woah."

Not a moment after the word 'lights' left her mouth, the gemstone on Rainbow's neck began emitting a soft, white glow just bright enough to reveal everything around her, but not too bright so it didn't hurt her eyes. Starlight watched her friend's reaction play out from her bed, a bright smile plastered on her face. "Well, looks like it works just fine. "

"What do you mean?" Rainbow turned to face Starlight. "And how can you 'trick' a spell?"

Starlight levitated the necklace off of Rainbow, and the gemstone ceased its light. Darkness covered the room once more, only for Starlight to push all the window curtains aside and allow daylight back inside.

"Casting a spell doesn't just need magic; there's also a mental component involved. It's probably the easiest step in spellcasting. Think of it like... pressing the 'on' button on a machine. You can build it the most complicated thing in the world, but it won't do anything until something activates it. In this case, your desire to light up the room is what triggered the light spell. Since it was your thought, you technically cast the spell even though you're a Pegasus."

Rainbow gawked. "I ... cast a spell?!"

"Mhm. Because of this, I can store the speed spell in the amulet, and when you activate it, it'll be cast onto you!"

Starlight floated the necklace in front of her and once again touched her horn to the gemstone. This time, the light it released was so bright, Rainbow had to bring both her wings to her face to shield her already closed eyes. The light died down after a few seconds, and she spared a glance to see Starlight lying on the floor, panting in exhaustion. The amulet hovered in the air for a second before gently floating down to the ground next to Starlight.

"That was easy."