• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 10,335 Views, 1,463 Comments

The Girl with the Lyre Tattoo - Dennis the Menace



Ask no answers and be told no lies. "Who are you really, Lyra?" She wouldn't answer.

  • ...
50
 1,463
 10,335

The Heartstrings Ultimatum

The second week of July.

The best week of his entire life. There were home cooked meals worthy of a holiday celebration, long nights spent roaming the streets of Seattle into the wee hours of the morning only for them to do it all over again. At the top of a Ferris wheel, they'd kissed, and Adrian felt like he was at the top of the world.

To even begin to elaborate the feelings Adrian currently felt would be difficult. It was like riding an emotional high. Simply put, they'd made love. Calling it anything else would suggest that it was purely carnal.

So of course this was a milestone in his life. He was now a "man", as his friends would say. That hopelessly awkward teenage boy that missed hints the size of anvils being dropped on his head was replaced by someone else overnight, someone a bit more confident, if not a little boisterous. Each step he took was filled with a slight bounce, a bit of a swagger. He smiled everywhere he went, and if there wasn't a cocksure grin on his face there was a determined, assertive look in his eye rather than an averted gaze of indifference or boredom.

"Oh, Adrian?" Lyra called from the bathroom. "Could you get me a towel?"

He reached into a closet and grabbed a teal one for her, knocking politely on the door. Lyra stood in the door frame, her skin moist and her hair damp. If he'd missed the fact that she was bare, it was that bite of the lower lip, the licking of the lips, the hungry look in her eyes that said it all.

"Care to help me...dry off?"

"It'd be my pleasure."

She dragged him in with a giggle, locking the door.


One week.

Seven days, seven nights. A hundred and sixty-eight hours, ten-thousand and eighty minutes, six-hundred-four-thousand and eight hundred seconds. She cherished each moment like it was her last. She was living while she was young, living like she was going to die.

But that faithful moment came in the dead of night on a Saturday night. Her heart skipped a beat as she felt it vibrate. Lyra clutched at her iPhone, her hands trembling as her thumbs tapped on the screen.

"Seattle Port terminal 46"

She shakily answered.

"i cant"

"times up"

She took a slow, deep, labored breath, letting it out with a tear. She swallowed. She felt claustrophobic. She'd come up with all sorts of elaborate stories to explain why she would be going away. Each one ended in heartbreak for both of them. Of that, she was certain. There was one word entered on the screen, a text message intended for Adrian's number.

"goodbye"

It seemed too impersonal. This was quite possibly the worst offense in a relationship, according to human standards: breaking up via text message. Except instead of breaking up, she was going to disappear off the face of the earth.

No!

She shook her head, tapping back to the Home screen. It saved as a draft. She was adamant. Things would work out. She was going to come back. Faced with two choices, to stay there or go home. At the time Lyra was certain she would take the road less traveled. At the same time, memories resurfaced of her birthplace. Some good, and some bad. The bad memories were the worst, when she was at her worst, bitter, angry, immature, confused. There were feelings of rejection mixed with acceptance.

She had money. She could attend college, maybe even the same university as Adrian! Study, get a degree in anthropology, or sociology, or even psychology.

Things would work out.

She repeated these words over and over in her head as she drove towards the port.


Adrian felt a lurching feeling in the pit of his stomach as he felt Lyra leave his side. He thought she was just getting up to get a glass of water. But instead, he heard the sound of elevator doors closing. He sat up, rubbing his eyes.

"Lyra?"

Silence answered him.

"Lyra?"

Her jacket was gone. He was quick to jump to conclusions. What possible reason could Lyra have to leave in the middle of the night? He tried calling her. It went to voice mail. He spotted a glow from a trash bin. He reached in and fished out her iPhone, wondering why it was there, of all places. It had been placed on silent.

"goodbye"

For...him?

He tossed the phone onto the mattress. His mind, groggy from sleep, sprung into action. He pulled on a jacket, scrambling to the balcony window. He saw her white Toyota Camry speed down the street, not once making a turn. In that direction...

The..docks?

He bolted to the elevator, mashing the buttons over and over again and sprinting out into the lot.

The engine stalled. He twisted the key over and over again, stepping on the gas until it came to life. His wheels screeched. His hands clenched the steering wheel hard as he breathed hard, fearful and confused. He tried to think of what he'd done, what he'd said, something, anything that would have offended her. He thought of none. Lyra seemed...hyper. The entire week had passed by so quickly, each day filled with activities that strengthened their bond even more and more. His mind flashed back to a moment at the mini golf course. It had been the perfect opportunity to put himself right behind her and show her how to swing. In a brief moment, he saw a distant look in her golden eyes, glazed over as he reached down to pick up his ball. Naturally, he was concerned. She dismissed it and went back to being herself.

His foot went down harder on the gas as he chased after Lyra, unaware of the forces at work behind the scenes.


Lyra pulled into the lot, parking her car and getting out. She shivered.

The port district of Seattle was a large, varied, complex system that ran Seattle's airport and seaport system. There were hundreds upon thousands of shipping containers spread out in these maze-like cargo terminals. Terminal 46 currently had no ships or ferries docked. There were strange structures resembling cranes and plenty of red containers.

She walked along the wet concrete, large warehousing structures and narrow alleys filled with boxes on the right, the river on the left. She spotted an SUV hidden away in an alleyway and ran forward, her bones chilling when she saw Gilda leaning against a shipping container.

"Yo."

Lyra let out a sigh. "Hey."

"She's coming."

"I know." Lyra shivered.

"You need protection?"

"It's cold," Lyra answered.

Gilda gave her something to wear.

At exactly midnight, the second the clock struck twelve, a single beam of light descended from the starry night sky, striking the ground. An explosion followed that blinded the both of them. From out of the green fire, a creature began to emerge, initially standing on all fours before its back twisted horribly with a crunch until it stood upright, taking on a human form. Features began to reveal themselves as it came closer. It took on a feminine figure. Shoulder-length cerulean hair draped over her bare breasts. Half-lidded acid green eyes framed with black eyeshadow fixed themselves upon the group of girls. A pair of supple lips covered in black gloss curved into a smile, revealing two glinting fangs.

"Well hello there," it purred.

Flanking her were a dozen bodyguards clad in all-black suits with blue mirror shades perched on their crooked noses. All of them were six feet tall, completely bald, hairless even, lacking any sort of distinguishable trait from each other as they marched in unison behind her, their black Italian loafers stomping against the pier.

One came to their leader, helping her slip into a black evening gown and a heels. They removed their suit jacket, even going so far as to drape it around her shoulders.

"Hey Chrissy."

Chrysalis scowled, not pleased with the affectionate nickname.

"How was the trip?"

"Exhausting."

"Jet lag is a bitch, ain't it?"

She tossed the keys to Chrysalis, leading her to the SUV and lifting the hatch.

"Followed your instructions exactly. Even got the model you wanted." She gestured to the Mercedes-Benz hood ornament.

The changeling queen ignored her, eying the wide array of small arms, ammunition crates, and assorted explosives stored in the trunk, some of which included explosive charges and two disassembled .50-caliber rifles stored in their cases. It was enough to supply a private army. She reached inside and picked one out for herself, a SIG Sauer P226 9mm with a black cylinder screwed onto the barrel, deadly and precise in the right hands. Her six guards shoved Gilda aside, beginning to arm themselves with G36C carbines.

"And the money?"

"I didn't touch it," Gilda stated. "It's in there."

"And you, Lyra?"

Lyra traced a toe sheepishly. "I used some of it. There's...not much left.

Gilda tugged at her collar nervously. "So what, are we done?"

"You two have done very well," Chrysalis complimented, holding up a thick portfolio, "especially you, Lyra. This will be very helpful."

Lyra let herself smile, if only to take pride in her work. Chrysalis leaned over, giving both of them patronizing pats on the head.

"Heh, yeah. Sure. Now about going home..."

"Disarm them."

One changeling guard grabbed at Gilda's wrist. She turned around and knocked him out cold with an uppercut to the jaw.

"Hey!"

In the blink of an eye Gilda drew her polished chrome Desert Eagle .50 AE and fired off a shot just as Chrysalis reached for the barrel. The bullet ripped through the fleshy webbing of her hand and sliced an enormous gash across her cheek. Her claws got a grip on the end of the pistol and wrenched it from Gilda's hands as another changeling guard subdued the furious gryphon.

"You bitch! We had a deal!" Gilda screamed.

Green viscous blood oozed down her face and hand. Chrysalis lapped at her wounds like a cat with a long, serpentine tongue, very much enjoying the taste.

"What the hell! Lemme go!" she spat.

"You won't be needing this anymore," she said coldly, regarding the magnum with a look of distaste before disposing of it in the water. To her guards, she added, "Secure the area."


Her car!

He quickly parked his car and ran, his heart pounding away in his chest and the blood pumping in his muscles as he ran through all the terminals. The entire place was enormous. How on earth was he going to find her?

In the black of the night, his eyes was drawn towards a green glow from a terminal.

Terminal 46.

Despite the pain in his chest, he sprinted as fast as he could, his mind wandering and still pondering why Lyra would come to such a place at that hour in that weather.

He heaved a breath, leaning back against a shipping container, his breathing labored as he continued. He saw a group of people congregated near the edge of the pier, and his steps slowed.

Lyra!

He squinted, trying to see. Adrian recoiled visibly as he heard the crack and flash of a gunshot, ducking behind the container.

"Oh shit."

He squinted, poking his head around the corner, sidling up against the container and sneaking toward another one. He couldn't hear a thing, and could only guess that by the looks of things, things were not going well.

No shit, Einstein. What gave you a clue?

It looked like a scene straight out of The Godfather, some illicit alleyway exchange being made in the dark with armed guards in nice suits.

One, two, three, four, five...

Twelve. Twelve of them, all armed like soldiers.

It finally occurred to him. It all made sense. It was that pivotal moment that everything seemed to click into place, and suddenly, he felt like an imbecile. The conclusion he came to seemed reasonable enough. Lyra was involved in criminal activities, probably a gang, maybe the Mafia. Everything about her now screamed criminal. The money, the flat, her passport, lack of a birth certificate.

The past month had felt like...a romance movie. He was the socially inept virgin and Lyra was the romantic interest. He was deceived. He was shallow and stupid. She was hot, he was not. She clearly liked him and he didn't care about the things that didn't exactly seem so kosher about her. The entire thing was a bad joke, and he was the one who missed the punchline. He realized with horror that he was involved now, with whatever...this was. Simply being Lyra's boyfriend was enough to incriminate him just by association.

It was a little late to be worrying about his record. The police! Of all the times, this was the time to call the police.

His cold hands tapped three digits.

"Nine-one-one, what is your emergency?"

He blurted out key words and phrases. "P-Police, I need the police. There are men with guns at the docks, the uh, Seattle Port."

A shadow fell over him.

Oh crap.

He glanced up before he was struck in the nose with the stock of a rifle. His smartphone scattered away.

"Sir? Sir?"


"We found someone, my Queen."

Lyra's head turned, even as she felt the barrel pressed against her neck, chills running down her spine. She knew fully well what guns were designed to do and how devastating they could be on soft tissue. Her heart skipped a beat, then sank. Her cover was blown.

"Let me go!"

Lyra covered her face with her hands. "No, no, no..."

Adrian was tossed haphazardly before Chrysalis' feet, a stream of blood running from his nose.

"Asshole!"

He scrambled away, recovering to a standing position and about to make a break for it before a SIG was placed at his head. He turned, gulping, his hands reaching for the sky.

"Let me introduce myself," she said, holding her hand out in a dainty fashion. "Call me Chrysalis."

Adrian didn't shake it. His eyes narrowed as he saw the biker. "You...I...I remember you!"

"Shut up, kid," Gilda snapped.

"Lyra, what the hell is goin—"

He was immediately cut off with a vicious backhand to the face leaving three claw marks. Lyra felt anger rise in her chest. She wanted to scream at her. How dare she hit him! But she held her tongue, praying that they would all make it through the night unscathed.

"Would you please refrain from swearing? We are in the presence," Chrysalis said, gesturing to Lyra, "of a lady."

She couldn't help herself. "Fuck you!" Lyra spat.

Chrysalis frowned. "My my, such language."

Her eyes flashed, and in a single bound, she grabbed Lyra's face. She whimpered, gasping as she felt her sharp nails dig into her skin.

"Maybe we should cut out that tongue of yours."

She ripped herself away. The changeling behind her made his presence aware once more, subduing her with her arms behind her back. Gilda herself had two guards manhandling her. Her profanities had ceased with a little encouragement from the end of a gun.

"I believe we should all be acquainted with each other before we continue. Why don't you introduce yourself, Gilda?"

The biker muttered, "Gilda Griffin."

"And you?"

Adrian held his tongue.

"Oh, come now. Don't be shy." Her lip twitched when he spat in her face. "He must be so confused, Lyra." She made the sound resembling a kiss, sounding sympathetic. "This must be the boy you've fallen in love with," Chrysalis said. "It must have been easy to seduce him."

"Adrian, no! Don't listen to her!"

"I've seen your pictures," Chrysalis said. "You two make such an adorable couple." She sounded like she wanted to gag.

Adrian pointed, his hand shaking. "I don't know what the hell is going on, but—but y-you let her go. The cops'll be here any s-second," he said, not entirely sure his call made it through. It was a bluff.

She shoved the barrel of her gun in his face. He gulped.

"Do you see this?"

He gulped, able to look down and see the bullet in the chamber. The bore was the size of a tunnel in his eyes. "Silencer," he mumbled.

"That is correct. So that way, when I..." She placed the barrel against her head, cocking the hammer. "...drive a tunnel through your skull, no one will hear." Her hand lunged for his face.

He closed his eyes, whimpering slightly.

"Look at me, shh, look at me. Open your eyes."

"N-No."

"Open your eyes, child, open—open your EYES! LOOK AT ME!" she roared. "LOOK. AT. ME! LOOKATME!"

He cracked an eye open. He saw into her acid green eyes and looked into the face of instability. It was the look of a deranged madwoman, ruthless and willing enough to do anything. Her eye twitched slightly as she smiled. Her face lit up again.

"It was such a wonderful plan—would you like me to tell you? Just kidding. I wouldn't tell you it even if you asked nicely. But now, everything is going to plan." She sighed, giving a girlish squeal. "I love it when things go according to plan. Do you know who I am?"

"You told me."

"Say it. Say my name."

He clenched his jaw. "Chrysalis."

"Yes."

"Sounds like a stripper name."

Gilda let out a snort. He received another smack across the other cheek, and she squeezed his throat. His face went red, turning into a dangerous shade as he struggled to breathe with a vice around his neck. Lyra screamed, begging her to stop. She released her hold, and Lyra felt herself releasing her breath at the same time.

"Youngsters these days," Chrysalis sighed, turning her back toward him. "No respect."

Adrian made a break for it.

She sighed. "They always run."

There was a crack, and a bullet slammed into the concrete inches away from his foot. Smoke rose from the barrel.

"Ah-ah."

Chrysalis strode forward. Lyra planted herself right in front of Chrysalis, blocking her from Adrian.

"It's done! We got what you wanted! He's not a part of this!"

Chrysalis pursed her lips into a childish pout, lowering the gun. "Oh, Lyra," she cooed, "Lyra, Lyra. Sweet, innocent Lyra Heartstrings." She suddenly lunged forward, her clawed fingers at her throat as she hissed venomously. "Did you really think I was going to let you go?"

On the verge of tears she ripped away in terror. Chrysalis kept her vice on her throat, her nails digging into her flesh.

"You're a smart filly, Lyra. Tell me, what would happen if I sent you," she said, and then gesturing to the captive biker with the gun, "and Gilda home to Equestria. Hmm?"

She wept, tears sliding down her face. "I-I don't—"

"Shh, shh, yes you do."

"P-Please, I—"

"Answer the question."

"I don't know, I don't—"

"Answer the question, come now, you know the answer."

"We'd go home!" she shouted in frustration. "We'd go home and we'd never ever ever talk about it again! We'd take it to our graves!" She'd meant it.

Dead silence.

Chrysalis chuckled, her eyes lighting up in amusement. She released her hold on Lyra's throat, sweetly patting her cheek. The girl squirmed as her cheeks were pinched.

"Ohhh," she sighed, tapping the barrel of the gun against her head, "you're just so sweet. Such a pretty face." Chrysalis pulled away. Then, a flat, "No. No, you would not. You see, I think," she paused, dangerously gesturing toward her gun in hand, "you would tell somepony. And then your princess would come save the day and ruin all my plans."

"No!"

"Yes! Yes, I think you would. You see, you three are loose ends. I don't like loose ends. See, this is all going according to plan. The last time, I made the mistake of letting that Cadance live. And I certainly won't make that mistake again."

"He doesn't have to get involved! He won't tell anybody! You won't, right, Adrian?" Lyra pleaded, the desperation in her voice making it crack.

"Oh, Lyra, you've fallen in love! And this poor innocent boy you seduced might go and tell the police." Chrysalis did a little hop and a skip. "Bring Gilda over here." She waved her gun. "Well?"

Gilda obliged, with a little encouragement from the guard that came in the form of a rifle barrel prod in the back.

"On your knees."

She didn't comply. Without hesitation Chrysalis slammed the butt of her gun into Gilda's face.

"On your KNEES!"

With a stiff upper lip and a bleeding head Gilda fell, kneeling beside Adrian, who complied quickly lest he be shot like a dog on the spot. Chrysalis chambered a round in her gun, offering it to Lyra.

"Will you do the honors?"

"W-What? I don't—"

"Yes, yes you do sweetie." Chrysalis forced the gun into Lyra's hands. It was heavy. Very heavy, much heavier than the one she'd carried. She'd cursed herself, thinking of all the reasons why she should have brought a gun for herself to defend against Chrysalis. Then again, Gilda was bigger, stronger, and faster than her and was still disarmed.

When she didn't take it she came around behind Lyra, wrenching her hands and forcing her into holding it, helping her to aim.

"You're going to decide which one lives..."

"N-No!" she screamed, horrified, the tears streaming more and more, shaking her head. "No, no!"

"...and which one dies," she crooned. "Who would you sacrifice, who would you save?" In a demented game of life or death she switched the gun back and forth. "This one? Or maybe her? Should it be him? Or her? Hmm? Which one do you love?"

"NO!"

"It's so easy, just aim and pull the trigger, it's so easy..."

Lyra looked back and forth between her two choices. It was like flipping a coin. Either way, she lost. Heads, Adrian, tails, Gilda.

She swallowed, steeling herself. "Gilda, I'm sorry—"

Chrysalis was pleased. "Pull the trigger, you can do it. Just pull the trigger."

"Shut up, Lyra!" Gilda shouted. "Don't you dare apologize!"

"One, two, three, easy. Squeeze, squeeze," Chrysalis encouraged.

"Gilda, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Lyra screamed.

"Shoot me!" She stood up, gesturing at her chest. "C'mon, shoot me! What are waiting for, you doofus? Pull the trigger." When there was a pause as Lyra's hands shook, she goaded her. "Shoot me, come on."

Her finger trembled.

"Shoot me, motherfucker, come on!"

The slide snapped back. She nearly dropped the pistol as a casing flew out from it and she was able to witness the effects of a nine-millimeter slamming right into Gilda's chest. She crumpled, then fell still. Lyra screamed.

"There's one..."

Chrysalis shoved Lyra forward, taking the gun into her hands. She aimed the gun towards Adrian next.

"No!"

"Get out of the way."

Lyra stood her ground, trying to shield him. "Adrian, run."

He could only weakly gasp, his eyes locked on Gilda's body.

Chrysalis sighed. "Why must you make everything so difficult?"

"Adrian, RUN!"

The slug slammed into her chest. It was strange, being shot. She couldn't describe it. It felt like she'd been punched in the gut. All the wind had been knocked out of her. Her vision faded to black. The last thing she felt was her skull connecting with the ground. The last thing she saw was Adrian running away.

She smiled.


Adrian's life flashed before his eyes. The first day of kindergarten, the first time he rode his bike, his first crush, his first car, his first love, his first heartbreak, graduation day. He saw the faces of his loved ones, his close friends.

He ran. He ran as far as he could down the end of the pier, knowing fully well what lay for him when he reached the end. He ran faster than he ever did in his years of running track, but then again the bullets screaming past him were enough to motivate him. He felt hot lead slice past his arms and legs, praying that the next one would miss its mark. The edge of the pier approached, and he prepared to jump the railing before realizing that the only thing that would do would make sure that he'd have a few broken ribs on the way down. So he slowed, clambering atop the railing, one leg already on it.

Adrian had never been a good swimmer. He'd taken one diving class, but that was about it. This wasn't the time for fancy spins and dives. The only thing he could do was straight out his toes and keep his hands at his sides to prevent any injuries, like say, broken ankles.

He was about to leap forward when a round slammed into his shoulder blade, sending him on a one-way trip into the watery depths of the waterway. Cold, freezing waters engulfed him. His eyes had been screwed shut the entire trip down as he experienced that lurching feeling in his gut as he flailed. Then world around him went silent and muffled. Pain lanced through his back, going dull. His entire body was stunned. He saw crimson in the water.

At least now he could figure out how long he could hold his breath.


Chrysalis lowered the rifle from her shoulder. She'd hit him, center mass. If the 5.56 in his shoulder wasn't lethal, being unable to use his arms to swim was. She handed the rifle to her offspring. She looked up, raising a eyebrow, a curious expression on her face as the first drop of rain fell on her face and slid down her cheek. It reached her chin, and she smiled. She glanced at the two bodies.

At the very least, they were out of the way.

"Dump the bodies."

A grin spread across her face.

Yes. Everything was going according to plan.