• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 10,336 Views, 1,463 Comments

The Girl with the Lyre Tattoo - Dennis the Menace



Ask no answers and be told no lies. "Who are you really, Lyra?" She wouldn't answer.

  • ...
50
 1,463
 10,336

Draw Me Like One of Your French Girls

A cool nighttime breeze swept across Seattle from the ocean. The city of Seattle, though never truly asleep, had gone dark. In the dead of night, there were no children at the playground. There were only the sounds of crickets chirping, owls hooting, and distant car alarms and horns to fill the silence. She craned her head, gazing up at the cloudless sky. It was an infinite sea of stars, not manufactured or created. Like all things in this world, the sun and the moon took on the illusion that they rose and fell when in actuality, the Earth was moving in orbit around these planetary behemoths. The stars were distant, faraway suns that burned brightly, so bright that they could be seen from billions, or trillions of miles away.

Gilda Griffin was a lot of things. She was anything but stupid.

She'd come to realize early on that her dreams of soaring through those blue skies had been crushed when she realized that these evolved monkeys had their eyes on the sky 24/7, watching out for "terrorists" for the sake of homeland security. Not to mention that the air was polluted, poisonous to breathe in thanks to carbon emissions from their vehicles and factories, which belched black inky smoke from smokestacks in the warehouse district of their cities, out of sight and out of mind.

Just barely visible at the collar of her jacket was a tattoo of an eagle's wings stretching across the length of her upper back, reaching both shoulder blades. She'd gotten it a week ago when she'd visited a tattoo parlor. She didn't exactly care what happened to this body in the long run. She knew just as well the harmful effects of inhaling tobacco smoke.

"You mind?"

Gilda Griffin reached into the inside of her jacket, fishing a pack of cigarettes from her pocket, sticking one between her lips. She flicked her Zippo lighter, igniting a pale blue, wispy flame, lighting her cigarette. The woman took several puffs.

Lyra got a whiff of the smoke, gagging slightly and coughing. "Yes."

The biker didn't reply, only scowling as she rubbed her numb hands together. "Wanna make this quick?"

"You called me out here."

"What you got there?"

Lyra pulled her hands out from the front pockets of her hoodie, revealing her "insurance": a Glock 26 with an olive-drab frame clenched in her left fist, her knuckles white. The pistol was compact and lightweight, perfect for someone of her stature.

Gilda arched an eyebrow. "Put that thing away. Someone might see," she said lowly. "Do you even know how to use that?"

Lyra smiled and shook her head, blushing slightly. She hung her head slightly, slouching in her seat, pulling her knees together, and dangling her legs over the edge of the park bench, both hands on the pistol tilted downwards toward the ground. It was a strange sight to behold, seeing such a timid, frightened girl with a gun in hand.

"So what, you gonna use it?"

"You're not going to hurt me, are you?"

Gilda scoffed. "Why would I do that? You're my ticket outta here."

"You have one too, don't you?"

"Yeah?"

Lyra smirked. "I showed you mine. Show me yours."

Gilda sighed, reaching into the waistband of her black cargo pants and brandishing a polished chrome Desert Eagle .50 AE.

"Mine's bigger," she grinned.

Judging by the look on Lyra's face, the sheer size of the gun was enough to intimidate her. She holstered her pistol. "Sorry. I'm just nervous, I guess."

Gilda tucked the magnum away. "I guess anyone would be." She faced her, coolly glaring at her. "You know, you ran from me."

"Sorry."

"Things could have gone a lot easier if you didn't run."

"You try putting yourself in my position," Lyra said. "Waking up in an alien world with an alien body and some grumpy chick looks like murder. I think anybody would have run."

Gilda sighed. There was no point in arguing it. Even if she had Lyra on a leash the entire time, she would only be making her job harder than it already was. And if it wasn't Adrian Ross, it was inevitable that Lyra would make friends with someone else.

"Yeah. I get it." She was never good with conversation. "So. How 'bout this place?"

"I love it."

"Yeah?" She took a drag. This place... "It ain't that bad, I guess."

"I think it's beautiful."

"Beautiful," Gilda stated flatly. It wasn't even a question.

She turned her head, her overall stance relaxed. Her predatory amber eyes narrowed in an expression of disbelief. The eyes of a hunter. The eyes of a hawk. Lyra's wide golden eyes gazed back. Innocent, hopeful, naive, curious. Their eyes were the same shade and yet so very different. If the eyes were the window to the soul, simply gazing into theirs would betray their emotions.

"Amazing."

"Seriously?" She looked skeptical.

Lyra nodded earnestly. "I love it. I love this place," she said, wrapping her arms around her body, "this body. This world."

"I guess that makes one of us then," Gilda scowled.

"And what about you?"

"I hate it. I hate this body," she said bitterly. "I hate being stuck on the ground like the rest of you losers." Gilda glanced over.

"It's not my fault, you know. It was a no-win situation. It's not like I asked to be kidnapped."

"Yeah, I know," she said, scuffing her boot across the ground.

"I mean, I didn't want to go at first, but it's not like I had a choice so either...either I said yes or..." She pretended to slice her throat open, looking over. "I'm sorry you got dragged into all this."

Gilda smirked. "It's not your fault, 'kay? But you don't have to like it so much. Don't you miss home?"

She sighed, her hands together. "Sometimes. Sometimes I get homesick."

"You too, huh?"

"Yeah," Lyra mumbled. "But it's not like I can't enjoy this for a little bit. I mean, I still have to be here anyways, so I might as well do it with a smile instead of fighting it every step of the way." She went quiet. "But...I'm starting to like it here. It's not...perfect. But nothing is."

Gilda pretended to gag. "All this heart-to-heart talk is too mushy. Let's get back to small talk."

"Maybe after all of this," she hesitated, "maybe I can even stay!"

"For him?"

She went slack-jawed. "W-Who? I don't know who you're talking about."

"Save it, Lyra. I know about Adrian."

Gilda knew fully well who Adrian was. She'd been tapping their phone calls for the past month. She just wanted to see how Lyra would react.

"You know?"

"Oho, I know all you two," Gilda snickered. "You two lovebirds take dirty talking to a whole new level."

Her cheeks went red.

"That's what your boyfriend was for, right? He's your little guinea pig?"

"No," she snapped, her eyes flashing. "No, he's not." She hung her head. "I mean, it was like that at first. He was so kind...and, and helpful. I like him. And he likes me back." She blushed.

She scowled. "Ugh. You work this out. I'm no relationship counselor. But you know what's going to happen, don't you?"

Lyra looked away, as if trying to ignore her, pretend that it wasn't true.

"This won't last, you know that, right?"

"She gave us fake names, IDs, passports."

"Those were for emergencies," Gilda replied. "We aren't supposed to use 'em. They're there just in case we get in trouble with the law."

"I know, but we can use them, right? I could go away, after all of this is over," she reasoned.

"What's with you? Don't you wanna go home?"

Lyra scowled. "There's nothing for me back home."

"Look, even I have a nest to go back to. You've got friends and family—"

She let out a bitter laugh. Gilda didn't question it.

"Listen, you've had your fun, right? You got to play tourist with the humans," she said. "Don't be dumb. She'd never let you just run away. Are you done?"

Lyra stammered, "W-Well, it depends what you call 'done'."

"Did you get what she wants?"

"Yes, I-I mean, no! Sort of."

"So that's a yes, right?"

She cast her eyes down. "Yeah. It's...done."

Gilda extended the palm of her hand, curling her fingers. "Give it here."

Lyra fished a USB flash drive, dropping it into her hand. "It's all in there."

She frowned. "Gonna have to print it out for the dragon fire." She closed her fingers around the flash drive and pocketed it. "We send it and we go home." She stood up, stamping her cigarette out. "Meet me at the port, will you?"

"How long do you think it'll take for her to come?"

"Who knows? Could take her a day, a week. A month? The second we send this it'll be like a signal."

The girl seemed like a wilting flower, drooping.

She watched as Lyra walked away, shaking her head all the while. She pitied her. She was never going to see this place again. Never going to see Adrian Ross again.

Gilda hooked an earbud into her ear and clicked the button on the cord. Three rings, then,

"Hey. I got it."

"Excellent. Send it immediately."

"Address and zip code?"

The voice snarled. "Shut up. Follow my instructions exactly..."


Lyra's heart was heavy as she drove home, only now coming to terms with reality. Her complete lack of regard for traffic laws seemed to reflect her state of mind, embroiled in turmoil as she yanked the wheel harshly. With the empty streets of Seattle before her she slammed her foot down on the gas, her teeth clenched as the speedometer slowly rose. The steering wheel stiff in her cold hands, she came to a steady sixty miles an hour. Even faster then. The world around her was a blur.

Pulling into the parking lot, she rested her head against the steering wheel, yanking her key out of the engine. She punched it once with a growl before storming back inside.

Up at her loft, Adrian hadn't even moved an inch, still sound asleep. She giggled, listening to him snore.

Lyra carefully reopened the briefcase and replaced the Glock inside, sorting through her passports and fake IDs and prepaid ATM cards.

A while back she thought it prudent to have all of her essentials in one place. Plus, having them inside a combination briefcase meant that Adrian wouldn't accidentally stumble upon her stash.

In her hands she held new names, new identities, new lives. She could travel, see the world, experience life in foreign nations. But at the end of the day, she could only run for so long before Gilda would catch up to her. She couldn't run forever.

She flipped through her wad of bills.

The initial ten grand had dwindled down to a measly nine, which, in the grand scheme of things, would not last forever.

She closed it, locking it tight. She climbed the stairs to their low-ceiling bedroom and tore off his jacket. She cautiously slid next to him, careful not to wake him up as she held him close, squeezing him tighter than ever before.


Adrian sat up with a yawn, stretching quietly and twisting his back with a few pops. Lyra snoozed peacefully by his side. He smiled, kissing her on her forehead before going through his morning routine. They had no plans today.

Fresh out of the shower, wearing a white V-neck and sweatpants. He stared into the cabinet of cereal, thinking of breakfast. It dawned upon him the opportunity to surprise her. It was the desire to be a good boyfriend, or even just a good roommate. He certainly couldn't cook a three-course meal, but eggs and toast were right up his alley of expertise.

He greased a pan, turning on the stove, setting out the plates and utensils before even cracking an egg over the skillet. It sizzled and popped. He gave himself three, and two for Lyra while toasting slices of Wonderbread in the oven.

"Good morning."

A shiver ran up Adrian's spine as he felt her warm breath on his neck, her arms encircling around his neck. It was a familiar sensation that made his body tingle. Lyra knew it just as well. He turned his head and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Morning."

Over time he'd come to learn how to anticipate and interpret her body language. She liked to stand with her hips cocked to one side or another, one hand on her hip and the other dangling by her side. She had a tendency to slouch when she sat, except when she pulled her legs together or crossed them. When she stared at him for longer than ten seconds, it meant that she wanted a kiss on the lips. If she kept her hand on his neck, she wanted to hold it for longer. And if her fingers combed through his hair and she traced her other down his spine, it meant she wanted to French.

"Are you making breakfast?"

He nodded. "Uh-huh. I wanted to surprise you, but I guess you're already up. It'll be done in ten minutes, so just go sit do—"

He didn't even have a chance to finish his sentence as Lyra suddenly kissed him hard, practically bowling him over. It was a sudden display of passion that blindsided him. She hugged him, squeezing him tight.

"I...I...You are just...amazing."

Adrian was still in the process of trying to figure out what he'd done beside sunny side up eggs, toast, Vienna sausages, and OJ.

"Hugs and kisses for breakfast," Adrian said. He grinned. "Wonder what I get if I make dinner?"

She playfully spanked him and went to shower.


"This is good."

He dipped his bread into the yellow yolk.

"It's eggs and toast."

"And sausages," Lyra said, her mouth full. She blushed and covered her face as she chewed.

"It's not rocket science."

"Is it harder than kissing?"

Adrian smiled. "Maybe. Kissing is harder than photography, that's for sure."

"Today's such a nice day. Why don't you take a few pictures?" Lyra said, tossing her hair in a not-so-subtle manner. "I could be your subject."

Adrian grinned. "Sure! Today's a perfect day." He looked outside. "Just enough sun, a breeze." He grabbed Lyra's wrist and his DSLR.

"Oh, what a coincidence, it just so happens I put on makeup too—eep!"

They skipped around the balcony. Adrian struggled to have Lyra maintain her pose and told her to take a thoughtful expression, fussing with her hair and clothes.

"I never knew how hard it was to take a picture," Lyra teased.

"It is pretty hard. I mean, to be any good. I'm not gonna be one of those artsy types, but I still know a little bit about it." He crouched down, taking a third one. "You know how they say a picture's worth a thousand words? It's true. A photograph has to tell a story when you look at it."

"See?" He showed her the display, comparing the shots he took. "This one is messed up because my hands shook a little and the framing is off. You gotta frame it just right. It's my fault for not taking the proper position."

"Position, huh?" Lyra arched her eyebrows. "I know a lot of positions."

"Hmm," he grunted in reply. "Technique is important too."

"Most definitely."

As he leaned forward, Lyra reached toward him.

"You wear a necklace?"

"Yeah. You didn't notice?"

"Not before," Lyra admitted. "Probably cause you hide it."

Adrian tugged at the cord, pulling it out from the inside of his shirt.

"It's my class ring," he said, turning the ring over in his fingers and slipping it onto his ring finger.

Compared to the rest of his classmates, his was a much simpler silver band, with only an engraving of his name and graduation year.

He wiggled his finger. "Doesn't quite fit. So I wear around my neck."

"That's cute." She held her hand out to accept the necklace, holding it up by the leather cord and admiring it. "It's very nice."

"I guess. It's kinda dumb. No one ever wears them." He rolled his eyes. "Congratulations, you graduated from high school."

Adrian took the necklace in his hands and slipped it around her neck. "Looks better on you."

"I want you to draw me like one of your French girls."

Adrian frowned. "What?"

"Titanic?"

"You've watched Titanic?"

"Leonardo DiCaprio was such a cutie!" she gushed. "While you were sleeping."

He rolled his eyes. "Inception was better."

"So? Draw me!"

Adrian laughed. "I'm a photographer, Lyra. There's a difference."

"You should take a picture of me wearing your necklace."

He nodded, idly fiddling with the lenses of his Nikon.

"Wearing only the necklace."

He froze. He turned.

"...Really?"

"Really."

"Serious?"

"Cereal," she replied.

"Nah."

Lyra looked at him in disbelief. "Why not?"

"You're joking, right?" he asked.

"No! I mean it!" She began to saunter away. "Well, it's your decision. You talk the talk, but I don't see you walk the walk..."

Adrian grabbed her shoulder. "What do you mean?"

"You sure know a lot about portraits and scenery, but how about delving into nude photography? Unless you're not man enough..."

"Oho, you did not just say that. Oh no you didn't."

"Oh yes I di-id," she said, shaking her head.

"I might have to take you up on that offer."

Lyra was already shimmying out of her pants. Adrian covered her face.

"W-We should probably try this in the bedroom."

"How daring of you, Mister Ross!" she pretended to gasp.

He reddened. "I didn't mean it like that..."


Lyra sat spread out on the bed, her backside towards Adrian, her golden lyre tattoo clearly displayed on her back. She looked over her shoulder, with an expression that could only be described as "bedroom eyes". It was all going according to plan. Soon, he would ask her to pose again. She would pull him into bed, and the magic would happen.

"Maybe shift your leg..."

It was an extremely intimate, extremely erotic act they were going to perform, as soon he got the clue. At some point she'd asked herself why she even wanted to engage in such an activity with Adrian Ross, of all people.

Well, why the hell not?

In the back of her mind she reminded herself of the inevitable. At the very least, they could reach third base. She didn't want to think about how things were going to happen. Would she just disappear one day, her existence completely wiped out from this place?

No. Things will work out. She promised she'd let me stay.

"Look up? Up, over there. Perfect. Don't move."

Adrian certainly wasn't the type to brag. He had a tendency to sell himself short. He'd shown her a bit of his portfolio, and she was genuinely impressed. His scenery photographs, even before being Photoshopped, looked almost professional. A central theme in his work seemed to be the city itself.

"I think we're done."

"Oh, what a shame," Lyra said with a seductive tone. "Can't we continue?"

Lyra was barely unable to contain her frustration as he sauntered off.

"Adrian!"

She flung the pillow at him, smacking him right in the back. She stood up, nude, her hands on her hips. He turned around, glancing at her before averting his gaze, covering his eyes.

"Lyra, y-you should put some c-clothes on..."

"Oh, no you don't, mister."

"W-What?"

This time, she grabbed him by his shirt, forcefully pushing him down onto the bed into a sitting position. "You are not getting away.."

"I-I'm sorry?" he apologized, not knowing what for.

"You stupid—"

Kiss.

"—dense—"

Kiss, this time with tongue.

She paused, panting. "I can't think of any more words. Ugh, you are so oblivious!"

"Awkward?"

She kissed him. "Awkward."

"Lyra, I—"

"When a girl takes her clothes off for you it usually means that she wants you!" She pounded at his chest.

"But—"

"No! No, Adrian, no buts! Do I have to spell everything out for you? The dim lights, the sexy pose, no clothes! Adrian, you are hopeless."

"I'm...sorry?"

"Which is what makes you so cute."

Their lips met again and again, each one more loving and longer than the last.

"I didn't want to make a move..."

"Mmgh...why?"

He pulled away. "Didn't want to misinterpret."

She held him longer. "How do you misinterpret a naked girl?" She stopped kissing him and sat straight up, still straddling him.

"First time, you know," he panted.

"Mine too," Lyra replied.

"Liar."

"Maybe."

"Don't wanna mess up."

"Be confident."

"O-Okay?"

She prodded him hard in the chest. "Girls like it when a guy is...dominant," she said, whispering the last word. "But nice! Not too nice."

"Nice guys finish last?"

"Nice guys finish last when the only thing that they've got going for them is that they're nice."

A beat. Then they were all over each other.

"I'm nice," he said.

"But you're smart."

Adrian held her close, ending their string of smooches. "A lot of people are smart."

"You're talented. And you're funny."

Lyra must have had a strange sense of humor if she enjoyed dry, snarky, sarcastic, ironic, satirical humor.

"Girls like a guys who are funny. Don't forget that."

Somehow, he was sure he wasn't going to forget the naked girl sitting on his lap telling him this. When he tried to get up, she swung her legs along both sides of him and planted herself on top, grabbing his shoulders to force him to look forward. His eyes were locked with hers in a battle of wills. He would not succumb to feminine wiles! They were practically in his face, however, and he gave in, flicking his eyes downward toward her breasts only for a second, trying to take in as much of them as he could.

"Hah!" She pointed. "Got you, mister."

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I didn't look, I-I swear!" Adrian flushed, trying to look away, covering his face. "Lyra, I..."

Her fingers ran down his toned chest down to the hem of his shirt. She slipped her fingers underneath, her nails dragging across his skin, making him shiver.

"You've been...working out, haven't you?"

He could only nod. She kneaded his abs, tracing a finger up the center of his ribs, running her hands over his neck. She stripped him of his shirt, bringing her hands around his neck and giving him a kiss on the lips once more. Without looking, she grabbed his arms and placed his hands firmly onto her rear. His eyes widened as he realized what he grasped in his hands.

They parted.

"Did you just squeeze?" Lyra accused, her eyes flashing dangerously.

His eyes flicked back and forth and his mouth struggled to work. "I-I, no! I didn't!"

"Don't stop."

When he tried pulling his hands away, she made sure he kept his hands right where she wanted them. Her sultry gaze turned into a grin as she saw how profusely he was blushing. She propped her chin up against his shoulder. Body language dictated that he was to lavish her with kisses on her neck, to which he slowly obliged. He kissed the soft flesh of her long neck, moving slowly up towards the underside of her jaw, towards her ear. He took her earlobe between his lips in a daring move, gently nibbling. Lyra's soft breaths grew heavier and heavier, her voice cracking as he did so.

They rolled over, Lyra beneath Adrian. She moved his hands toward her chest, which heaved, rising and falling with each and every touch of his hands on her breasts. The heat in the room rose considerably. His eyes took in the sight of her flat belly, her slim, petite hips, her broad shoulders. He ran his hands all over her body, tickling her a little.

"Is that your phone in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Adrian paled, pulling away until Lyra's long legs wrapped around his body. She reached into his back pocket, finding his Galaxy, and tossed it aside on the bed. They rolled again. Her finger searched for the remote, and turned on the entertainment system, one of Adrian's favorite songs playing at a barely audible level. Not quite lovemaking music from Robin Thicke, but it certainly had a good tempo.

"Well now, this is interesting and sexy and all, but y-you know I think we should put our clothes back because on I hear tonight it was going to be really cold and we don't wanna get sick!" he gasped, putting on a frantic grin at the end.

"Really."

He nodded several times before remembering to speak. "Sure, definitely, totally, the weatherman said so. Yup, yup, uh, low fifties high sixties, you know, super super cold!"

She silenced him with a kiss.

"You talk too much."

"I do? I do, I think I do," he stammered. "You know, mostly when I get nervous, you know? I'm super nervous right now, I think I'm about to pass out. I should stop talking, shouldn't I? I'll stop talking. I'm sorry, I talk a lot when I get nervous so...so...I'm still talking, aren't I?"

"Mmhmm."

A stream of words poured from his mouth. "I did it again, whoops, silly me. It's just that, well you're so beautiful and hot and sexy and pretty and wow, oh wow, is it hot in here? I think the weatherman lied..."

Lyra ignored all of his words, pouncing on him like a cat. He swept her in his arms, rolling over once more so that he was on top. The look in his eyes changed from nervous to cocky. His body language, more...confident. He towered over her. Now he was in control.

"Like this?"

"Like that," she giggled, her heart soaring as he continued his ministrations.


Gilda had spent a good portion of a day running around and trying to buy a ream of paper and a printer, which then came with accessories and cartridges that required installation on her MacBook. It was a goddamn hassle, but at the very least, it was done. A hundred pages of glossy paper in color in one big stack in the center of her room.

"Final-fucking-ly."

She hefted the glass bottle of bottled dragon fire, shattering it against the floor. The ream of paper was engulfed in green fire and disintegrating into ashes and scattering.

She seemed to forget the flammable properties of dragon fire.

"Oh shit."

Thankfully, a fire extinguisher was nearby.