• Published 21st Nov 2018
  • 2,178 Views, 198 Comments

The Belle Rings True - JimmyHook19

  • ...
24
 198
 2,178

The Party

The next morning arrived, the sun spreading its glorious rays over the world. Sweetie Belle got out of bed and went into the shower to start her day. She then gave her hair a comprehensive comb, and got dressed in her trademark outfit. She then wandered down the stairs, the smell of a cooked breakfast wafting up her nostrils. It had been a while since she’d last had a breakfast like this.

"So, what does today bring?” asked Cookie.

"Off to the office for me,” Hondo sighed, pouring his coffee. "There’s a deal that needs clearing with Barnyard Bargains, but if we can pull it off, it’ll make us a lot of money.” Hondo worked as an advertising executive in a local firm, which had led to him being compared to Don Draper more than once.

"Undoubtedly you will save the day once again,” Rarity said approvingly. Hondo’s job paid extremely well, which was perfect as it allowed Rarity to source plenty of raw materials. "But there is one question I was considering.”

"Which is?”

"I was wanting to take a placement at a local fashion outlet this summer, hone my skills.”

"That’s entirely reasonable,” Hondo nodded. "I hope you enjoy yourself whilst doing it.”

"I’ve just got more lessons today,” Sweetie Belle added. "And that means Mrs. Berry.”

"I’ve heard things about her,” Cookie noted. "And none of them are positive.”

"She can barely string a sentence together,” Rarity added.

"While I do get that you don’t like her, there’s no need to be rude,” Hondo informed his eldest daughter. "Besides, that new model of Duchess of Sutherland has just been released. It’ll hopefully be delivered today, so I’ll be giving it a test run.”

"I swear that layout keeps getting bigger!” Cookie joked. "Before long we’ll be running the track up and down the corridors!”

"Don’t give him ideas!” Rarity exclaimed.

"There’s an idea,” Hondo muttered.

A few minutes later, the meal was concluded, and Sweetie Belle shouldered her bag.

"See ya this evening!” she said. "Apple Bloom’s invited me over.”

"Tell Mr. Mac I’m sorry I couldn’t make the party,” Hondo asked. "This business deal may go long.”

Sweetie Belle nodded. "I will. Goodbye!”


The walk to school was uneventful, apart from Button Mash walking into a lamp-post, Laurel and Hardy style. At the front door, they split up and went their separate ways. First off, art, which mostly consisted of throwing paint at an easel.

Then came Mrs. Harshvoice, which consisted of analyzing yet more nonsense and trying to stay awake.

That afternoon (as the rest of the morning is not worth narrating), was more math, which was equally dull, as Apple Bloom was not there to help. That day, in fact, the Crusaders only saw each other at lunch, due to the setup of their timetables. This was very annoying, as it meant they got little time together, and for reasons that ought to be obvious they were happiest together. They had been friends for nearly a decade by that point, and intended for it to stay that way until the end of time.

By the time the final bell went, Sweetie Belle was ready to go to Sweet Apple Acres. Button Mash met her outside school.

"Shall we go?” he asked.

"Sure!” Sweetie Belle replied, just as steam and smoke announced a beauty in red and gold. Sadie swung around and stopped next to them.

"Hello!” called Grand Pear. "Do you two need a lift?”

"Yes please!” Button called.

The trip along the road was slow, but leisurely. Sadie made a wonderful sound as it rolled along the road, the ride being most smooth as it clattered down the lane. The drive and traction was superb as well, but the traction engine was a bit slow.

"The cars behind us seem annoyed!” Button observed.

"They can wait all they like!” Grand Pear laughed. "This was how we travelled when I was a boy, growing up in the 1950s and 60s!”

"It must have been fun!” called Sweetie Belle.

"Oh, it was at times. The music especially.” Grand Pear paused. "Some of it wasn’t though, but you’re too young to learn about that.”

After a few minutes, the farmhouse loomed over the hill, and the parade of trees sheltered the traction engine as it rattled along the hill. Arriving in front of the farmhouse, the two passengers hopped off, and saw Apple Bloom chatting with her friends.

"Sorry I’m late Apple Bloom!” called Sweetie Belle, running toward Apple Bloom and pulling Button along at incredible speed.

"Sweetie, be careful!” Button shouted. "I’d prefer for my arm not to leave its socket!”

Sweetie Belle paid him no attention, and stopped in front of Apple Bloom. "It’s so nice to see you again!” she squealed.

"Sweetie, it’s been 2 hours at the most,” Apple Bloom said flatly.

"But we’re all back together!” Button exclaimed. "Are we still on for the CMC movie night on Sunday evening?”

"We sure are!” Apple Bloom exclaimed. "How have you two been?”

"Well, Button’s a great dancer,” Sweetie Belle started. "Turns out he’s in dance class, and he sometimes gets to partner up with Scootaloo.”

"I don’t like her that way!” Button exclaimed. "Besides, Sweetie’s not too bad herself. She put down a solid Cajun 2-step yesterday!”

“What is all this Cajun business?” asked Rarity, walking over to her. Sweetie Belle then remembered that Rarity had been performing with the Wondertones. "Has Sweetie been dancing again?”

"If you can waltz, I can do the two-step!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed. "Besides, the waltz is German, not English. So there!”

"I suppose we do have that Cajun spirit in us,” Rarity admitted. "But it looks like the band is getting going again. Tootaloo!”

Button smiled as he spoke to Sweetie Belle. "J’ai passe devant tu porte,” he said with a smile.

"That’s because it’s on your route to school!” Sweetie Belle replied, laughing.

A most magnificent supper was had, and Sweetie Belle was later sat around with Button, idly chatting about transportation.

"So, which is superior,” Button asked. "Duplex Drive or Articulated Drive?”

Sweetie Belle thought for a moment. "Well, Duplex is considerably less versatile than Articulated, but having said that, Duplex has considerably reduced Hammer Blow.”

"Hammer blow?” Button asked.

"Hammer Blow is the downward force exerted on the rails by the engine’s cylinders,” Sweetie Belle explained. "The more cylinders an engine has, the more the Hammer Blow is reduced on the rails. This is why 1218 has a better performance on the track than 9000; the extra 2 cylinders reduce the force on the rails.”

"Based on that, why not just go for articulated?” Button reasoned. "Surely the increased versatility would dramatically outweigh the disadvantages of rail damage.”

"Duplexes are faster,” Sweetie Belle answered. "A T1 4-4-4-4 was clocked at 140 miles per hour in 1950.”

"There’s no proof that it did,” Button countered. "The most a T1 was every clocked at was 100 miles an hour. That’s slower than Mallard, and that had half the tractive effort!”

"Mallard was going downhill, remember,” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

"Well, Sir Nigel Gresley achieved 112.5 miles an going uphill. And several of the Bulleid Light Pacifics managed 100 miles an hour will little to no difficulty.”

Sweetie Belle was about to counter, when she suddenly felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

She took it out and saw it was a text from Apple Bloom.

Meet me in the clubhouse! I’ll explain when we get there!

Sweetie Belle jumped up out of her seat. "Sorry Button, Apple Bloom wants to see me about something. I’ll be back as soon as I can, OK?”

"Got it!” Button replied. "I’ll see if I can find some ice cream for us in the meantime.”


Sweetie Belle sprinted over to the clubhouse, catching up to Scootaloo and Apple Bloom and speeding through the door. Apple Bloom then closed the door and turned to face Scootaloo.

"Scoots, you’ve got some explainin’ ta do,” she said.

"What’s this all about?” asked Sweetie Belle, confused at why a Crusaders meeting had been scheduled at such short notice.

"Scoots here just mentioned President Trump. But here he ain’t gonna be elected for another two years.”

"That is a considerable oversight,” Sweetie Belle pondered.

Scootaloo looked sheepishly at Apple Bloom. "Fine, I’m not from here!” she exclaimed.

"Then where are you from?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Scootaloo sighed. "My name was Emily. I was at a convention dressed as Scootaloo, when I purchased a helmet and scooter. Next thing I know, I wake up here as Scoots. But what was even weirder was that I was knocked over by a cosplayer whose Apple Bloom was absolutely perfect. She sounded so upset as well!”

Apple Bloom looked as if she was going to be sick. "Sorry, what did ya say?” she asked.

"It was a perfect cosplay,” Scootaloo replied.

Apple Bloom looked as though her brain was processing some horrible thoughts. "Scoots,” Apple Bloom said, "it was me you knocked over.”

"Really? That explains so much!” Scootaloo exclaimed. "Like how we were both found in the same place before we woke up.”

"And me!” added Sweetie Belle. "I used to be somebody from Roanoke Island. Jimmy Hook?”

"Hey, I know you from Fimfiction!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

"And it seems we all got here as a result of purchasin’, or bein’ given, an item by that merchant”, Apple Bloom noted. "Very strange. But it can wait. We got somethin’ more important.”

"Namely?” asked Sweetie Belle.

"Ice cream!” Apple Bloom replied.

The three of them charged back over to the clubhouse, knowing that no matter what, they would always be friends. The question mark of how three Bronies (or Pegasister) had become MLP characters still hung in the back of their minds, but could wait.