• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 12,293 Views, 1,245 Comments

Honor Above All Else - Honored Service



Honored Service returns to tell the tale of his year long disappearance.

  • ...
46
 1,245
 12,293

We Don't Go To...

Honored Above All Else
Chapter 4
By Honored Service


"Doctor Zulu?" I was sitting upright on a wooden table watching as the zebra doctor picked up a wooden tongue depressor and approached me. I opened my mouth and he placed the stick against my tongue.


"Yes Honored?" He asked, peering into my mouth and moving the small stick around.


"Mhhm mummhp pffthm mmm."


"I'm sorry I didn't quite understand that." He pulled the depressor out of my mouth and threw it into a trash can next to the examination table.


"How far is this village from Canterlot?" I asked the doctor as he picked up a pencil in his mouth and scratched a few notes on a clipboard lying next to me.


He placed the pencil back down and began examining the stitches on my stomach where I had been stabbed by Nightmare. "Well this village is about a day away from the Equestrian boarder. If I was to guess I'd say it's about five day journey all the way to Canterlot." He placed a hoof on the healing wound and I flinched at the touch. He nodded and added another note onto the clipboard.


"Now you're healing very quickly, but sense I know almost nothing about your species, I'll have to ask that you keep the strenuous activities to a bare minimum for the next week." I raised my hand to object but was cut off as a black hoof pushed my hand down. "That means no running, heavy lifting, and especially no fighting." He narrowed his eyes at me.


"I understand sir." I sighed and swung my legs back and forth. A week of bed rest? Chalk this up to being worse than getting stabbed, at least then I was doing something.


I say we ignore the kind doctor and go on a boredom fueled rampage through the village. It's so small it will only take a few minutes at the most.


The doctor stepped out of the room to go retrieve more tests for me. Joy.


"We both know that's not going to happen buddy."


I'm not your buddy.


"Alright fine, do you just want to be Nightmare then?" I crossed my arms and stared up at the ceiling. I seemed to always look up when talking to this damn bastard.


It sounds cooler than Honored Service. You're not a pony, so why let them name you like one?


"Actually I picked that name, a pony just happened to have reminded me of it."


**********************************************************


"I did that!" Pinkie Pie jumped out of her seat and wrapped her forelegs around the human. "So I named the mysterious creature!"


"Yes you did Pinkie, now how about letting me to so I can breathe." I gasped out, feeling my bones beginning to bend under this pony's death grip hug.


Oh is she annoying you? The Nightmare asked in his soft voice.


"A little, yes."


Then I like her!


"Fuck off."


***********************************************************


"I meant, what was your pony name 4,000 years ago? Now that we're stuck together I would prefer to not calling you Nightmare."


What was it... give me a moment, it's been ages since I thought about that old life. If I remember correctly it was something like Night Might.


"Really? What the actual fuck? So Night Might became Nightmare?"


Yeah.


"I give up." I threw my arms into the air just as Doctor Zulu came back into the room. "Hey doctor, just stretching."


Nice. I would totally believe you.


"Well I looked over some notes I took during the surgery to fix you and saw some... unexpected results."


"What do you mean?"


"It seems that comparing this new scar to your old ones, it healed at an impossibly faster rate."


"That's good, right?" I smiled an innocent smile.


"Yes it is, but I just can’t seem to figure out why. Most curious." He tapped a hoof to his chin and picked up the pencil again and scribbled a final set of notes down. "You're all set Honored, just remember, no-"


"I hear you doc, no strenuous things." I got up and walked out the door shouting my thanks to the doctor as I walked out of the medical hut and back to the hut I was staying at with Zecora, who had become the official human nurse for the time being.


Durning the last few days I had retold my story over and over again to the ponies and zebras that inhabited this village. Since this community was so close to the boarder, ponies lived here along with their zebra neighbors. Both species were equally appalled by what had happened to Canterlot bit I conveniently left out the part where I had accidentally became a host to the Nightmare. Zecora had explained that she visits her home village every so often to reapply her stores with plants only found in Zebraica.


This village of Zebrabaway, was a lot like Ponyville. Close knit community, everypony was friendly and accepting of a new creature and the food was amazing! From Zecora's tomato soup to the extreme spiced veggie platters the Nightmare and I were gorging myself out on food.


But what kept eating away at me was the fact I was getting everything for free. I had no bits on me during the final battle so I ended up days away from Canterlot with no money. Everything given to me was out of kindness and I needed some way to pay them back.


I swung open the flimsy wooden door leading into Zecora's hut and greeted the mare.


"Good morning Zecora! Is there anything I can help you with?" I gave her a large smile and folded my hands in front of me.


"Hello to you as well; no everything here is swell." She nodded her head at me and placed a large box on her back. "I have a quick stop to make; I'll be back in a shake." Zecora walked to the door and opened it, humming to herself as she left on her errand.


"What do you want to do Nightmare?"



"That doesn't involve killing, destruction, mayhem, chaos, disarray, or evil."


Well buzz kill, I don't know. Hangpony?


"Sure why not."


"Listen I'm telling you that destroyingly isn't a real fucking word!" I yelled at the sheet of paper in front of me, where the Nightmare had drawn the game.


And I'm telling you it is. I win, you lose.


"Fuck it, fine you win. Whatever." I got up from the chair and strapped on my chest rig and armored chest piece. I hooked on my belt and holster along with the knife. I pulled my duster on and slung the rifle over my shoulder.


If all it took was for you to lose a game to get this angry I would have done it long ago.


"Shut up, I'm going exploring, not destroyingly." I opened the door and steeped out into the early afternoon sun.


That's not a real word... oh fuck you human.


"Yeah, I thought so." I walked through the market waving at a few ponies and smiling to zebras as the paced. I sat on the edge of the well near the center of the market waiting to see if I could help anypony at all.


What are we doing here?


"I'm waiting to see if anypony needs some help.


This is stupid.


"You're stupid."


Oh nice one.


A pair of zebra mares trotted by. One with her mane braided into a long ponytail and the other with a headband on. The trotted by laughing.


"Zebar honestly thought he would get a date with me." The headband one said through a fit of giggles.


"That colt is head over hooves for you Zala." Replied braided mane zebra.


Okay that's just gossip, what else do we have here?


I scanned the area trying to pick up on anything I could assist with.


"Fruit prices went up again."


"What's wrong son? Zutch didn't hurt you did he?"


"Those huts needed more bricks."


"Damn mines are full of gems, but those pesky Diamond Dogs are back."


And we have a quest human!


I calmly walked over to where the two ponies were talking. A pastel blue colt with a purple mane and a dark brown colt with a light gray mane smiled as I approached them.


"Hi, which way is the gem mine?"


Didn't the doctor say not to do anything strenuous?


The ponies gave me directions but warned me about the diamond dogs that had been moving around that area.


"What's wrong Nightmare? Scared of a few puppies?" I jogged along the dirt road that branched off from the town and towards a series of low lying hills away from the village. I plodded along the road enjoying the feel of the wind blowing across my face. I felt something tickle my chin.


I looked down to the red feather still tucked on my duster. It was still just as perfect as the first time I saw it.


Memories of Sky flashed across my mind as I held the feather close to my chest.


************************************************************


"It took you this long to think of me?" Fast Skies wore a lock of mock shock on her face. She lightly bopped the human on the nose with a hoof. "What a jerk." She leaned forward and gave Honored a peck on the cheek before leaning back to let the human finish his story.


"See, that's how you interrupt a story." Honored said with a faint blush across his face.


"So if we interrupt you like that then it’s okay?" Pinkie Pie approached the human slowly with a sly smile on her face. Fast Skies leapt in front of the human and crouched down low, growling at the pink earth pony.


"Easy there Sky, Pinkie was just joking." Honored looked over to Pinkie Pie to confirm this.


"Riiiight. Joking." She giggled and sat back down next to Twilight who looked positively mortified at her friend's actions.


Fast Skies backed up to Honored side not breaking eye contact with the innocent pink pony. They both winked at each other before giggling.


***************************************************************


Human I would feel better if we had some light.


"Don't worry Nightmare, I got something for that." I dug around in the backpack and found a tactical flashlight that attached to the rail on the side of my rifle. I placed it on and flicked the switch. A beam of light sliced through the dark tunnel of the mine. I stood at the entrance peering down into the dark abyss of the abandoned mine.


How much ammo do you have left?


"Around ninety rounds. I would have more but, some changelings attacked."


Say it again, see if that changes anything.


"Well lets to see if we can't work this out peacefully." I took a few steps down into the mine shaft. The sound of a freight train rumbled behind me. I spun around to watch as the entrance to the mine gave way; boulders and rocks collapsed blocking off the entrance. It was the caves under Canterlot all over again.


The flash light flickered off, then on, and off. Darkness swallowed me as I backed up till my back hit the blocked off entrance. I yanked off the back pack and dug around in it searching for batteries for the flash light. My hand groped the pouch the batteries where in, but all I found was a hole with my fingers poking through it.


"Fuck."


No light?


"You're the Nightmare, can't you see in the dark?" I held the rifle in front of me, but it would no good if I couldn't even see the end of the barrel.


I can, but I need some light to reflect it. I can't see in pitch black.


"Hold on I think I have one or two flares in here somewhere... ha here it is." I pulled out the long tube and broke off the cap. I struck the end on the ground till a small spark ignited the end of the flare. A pale red light slowly grew out of the flare and casted an eerie red glow on the dark tunnel.


I turned back around coming face to chest with a fur covered body that towered over me by three feet. I looked up into the dog like face of a brown Diamond Dog. It cracked a menacing smile at me; its grin full of sharp teeth. Yellow eyes bore down at me as I backed up from the creature. It moved toward me raising its long clawed arms at me.


Still need me to tell you what's around?


"Nightmare, fuck off."


"Hello hairless pup." The deep raspy voice of the dog called out to me, before simply picking me up and carrying me under one of his massive arms down through the tunnel.


****************************************************************


"Captured by those ghastly Diamond Dogs! How absolutely dreadful." Rarity draped a foreleg across her head and fell backwards onto a perfectly placed pillow.


Drama queen. How is she your favorite?


"Piss off. It’s my opinion." Honored looked back to the ponies and shrugged his shoulders. "Actually the Diamond Dogs liked me. I was just like them. Bipedal most of the time and we both have fingers. The dog that picked me up was simply taking me down to meet the others of that pack. I was already family to them."


"How are you their family? You're a different species." Twilight Sparkle asked, holding her quill in front of a piece of parchment.


Well look at that, little miss know it all.


"Twilight, am I considered part of pony society?" She nodded her head.


"Of course!"


"And am I different species?" Honored smiled at her. She walked right into his word trap. She opened her mouth to say something; but closed it as she realized what the human meant.


"The Diamond Dogs welcomed me into their liar and treated me fairly. Now can I continue?" The human tapped a foot impatiently on the marble floor. The sun was completely set and the room was lit with the soft glow of torches. Honored yawned, soon to be followed by Fast Skies.


"Actually, maybe we can put the story on hold till tomorrow morning?" The human got up and stretched, "I'm feeling tiered, as I'm sure everypony else is." as if on cue, Quick Flurry snored loudly and jolted up in his sleep.


"What'd I miss?" Short Blade rolled his eyes and pushed the yellow Pegasus over.


Everypony was given a room to stay in, and Saddle Company returned to the barracks for the night. Honored Service began walking towards the double doors leading out of the throne room.


"Where are you going Honored?" Celestia called after me.


"We'll I don't really have anywhere to stay, so I was going to just find somewhere to sleep out there." The biped motioned with a hand towards the Royal gardens.

Celestia laughed lightly while shaking her head. “My little human, you may have an evil creature sharing your mind, but you are still Honored Service, a member of the Equestrian Honor Guard. You saved this entire city from the creature in your mind. And you think that I will let you sleep outside?” She gave a deadpan stare at the human, how stood blushing at the compliments.

“Come, I’ll show you to a room you can use.” Celestia turned and Honored followed after the princess.

You know, for the princess that forced me to stay on the moon with that socially awkward alicorn, Celestia is okay at best. And if you tell anyone that I said that, I’ll turn your brain into mush.

“No you won’t.” The human whispered to himself. “You can admit that maybe over the last year you changed from an evil dick, to just a dick.”

Mush. I swear. But the voice in the human’s mind wasn’t evil our even hate filled. It almost said it happily.

“Here is the room you can use during your time here Honored. Sleep well, I’ll send for you to join us at breakfast. I look forward to hearing about these Diamond Dogs.” Celestia bowed slightly to the human, who returned the gesture.

Honored walked into the spacious room. He removed his duster and rifle and hung them on the coat rack near the door. The wooden door slammed shut causing a loud bang to echo through the room.

The human jumped into the air spinning around to face the door. “What the hell!” What the hell!

Standing behind the door, hidden in the shadows was the outline of pony. It stepped forward into the moonlight pouring in through the window.

“Sky?” The human stood up straight and stared at the red mare who was smiling up at the biped.

This is your mate right?

“Yeah,” whispered the human.

She is nice look- I mean disgusting, how can she even think you're attractive.

The mare slowly walked towards the human. She batted her eyelashes at Honored, who backed away from her. She crouched low to the ground and shook her flank in the air and pounced across the room at the human while releasing a low growl while smiling at her prey.

Although I do like the enthusiasm.

******************************************************************

The human jumped from the doorway and into the dining room where everypony had gathered for breakfast. “I hope everypony slept well!” He shouted, giving everypony in the room a big smile before bounding over to an empty spot near the head of the table and sitting down.

A red coated pegasus mare with a bad case of bedmane lightly trotted into the room after the energetic human.

“Looks like somepony slept well.” Rainbow Dash whispered to the orange earth pony next to her.

“Sleep? You don’t have a room next to them.” Applejack retorted. Both mares laughed under their breaths at the expense of the happy couple.

“Now where was I?” The human said looking over a stack of warm, syrup soaked pancakes twenty high.

*************************************************************

“And I say, that no girlfriend, that a bitch!” A loud howling of laughter fallowed the punch line. I sat down at a rough table made of solid rock in the center of the gem mine. The Diamond Dogs had a pretty sweet set up down here in the earth. The largest of the Diamond Dogs, the brown one that carried me down here, was named Marxy. He was second in command according to the other Diamond Dogs at the table. The head honcho, the main dog, was Ruffy. He currently was out, but I would get a chance to talk to him once he got back, Marxy assured me that.

“Okay now you tell one hairless pup.” The small red brown Diamond Dog, known as Crunchy, said. All the dogs at the table leaned in with anticipation for my joke.

I know. What’s furry and reeks of piss?

Don’t know?

It’s a room filled with these disgusting creatures.

“So a pony walks into a bar looking really said. He sits at the bar and orders a drink. The bartender comes over and says, ‘Why the long face’?” I paused, waiting to see how well I did. Coming up with a joke that the Diamond Dogs would understand is kind of hard considering they wouldn’t understand half of my jokes.

Wow, that was so lame, I may kill myself.

“BWHAHA!” All the Diamond Dogs at the table collapsed backwards and began rolling around on the ground shaking in fits of laughter.

“Ponies so silly!”

“Yeah! Long Face!”

Marxy finally got up and whipped a tear from his eye. He slapped me on the back causing me to slam against the table. Right on the stab wound that was healing.

FUCK! Tell that brute to watch it! I apparently can still feel pain.

“Hairless dog, you funny. We like you.” He gave me a smile as the other Diamond Dogs got up and retook their seats around the stone table.

“Y’all aren't too bad either. But why did you move into the pony’s gem mines?” I asked, deciding now is just as a good time as ever to find out how I could resolve the problem between the ponies and Diamond Dogs.

The dogs all looked down at the table and hung their heads. A gray lanky dog named Shaky, looked over to me. “We must take pony mines. Our home was taken from us.” Somewhere across the room a Diamond Dog let out a pitiful howl. Somehow this happy room turned into a sad den.

“Who? The ponies?” I asked concerned about the dogs.

“No. Ponies nice. We tolerate. They leave us alone. We help them mine.” Marxy said as he took a sip from the stone cup in front of him. he sat it back down and wiped a furred arm across his mouth. “But now we had to take pony mines. No room in old home.”

“And why is that?” I inched closer to Marxy. I think I just found the way to repay the ponies and zebras of Zebrabaway.

“Tunnel Rats.” Chocked out Crunchy as he hiccupped into his drink.

“Tunnel Rats?” Diamond Dogs are beaten by rats?

Wow, Diamond Dogs more like Diamond Bitches. Come on; let’s go clear out their home. I'm tired of this smelly hole in the ground.

“Marxy, where is your old home? I think I may be able to help.” I shouldered my rifle and locked the charging rod back.

I followed the tall dog down a series of tunnels and ramps till we came to a massive boulder rolled in front of tunnel entrance. Marxy, and three other Diamond Dogs struggled to move the gigantic temporary door out of the way. The rock rolled away and the stale air washed over me. The group of dogs backed away at some unknown smell that wafted through the opening.

Why do we do these things? If I was in control we would kill these flea bags, and let the ponies and zebras have their mine back, and then just collapse it on them.

“And that’s why I'm in charge.” I took a step through the entrance and into the shaft leading deeper into the mine. Darkness began to swallow me up right away. I took out one of my reaming flares and struck it against the wall. This time a more pleasant green light filled the area.

Now I can see well. Give me control of one eye, and then we can… ugh… work together.

“Good idea Nightmare. See we’re making progress.”

Don’t make me regret this.

“Hairless pup wait!” Marxy called out and quickly ran up to me on all four legs. He stood up on his hind legs and pointed to the side of the tunnel. “Red stones led to this exit. Blue stones led to center of home.” Sure enough trails of red and blue stones were imbedded on the right side of the tunnel.

“Thanks Marxy, that just saved me from getting loss.” The Diamond Dog wagged his tail and ran back to the entrance. They rolled the stone back enough to leave enough room for me to get out, but rats still could fit through that.

“Well, lest go exterminate some rats!” I held the flare in one hand and the rifle in the other. I cautiously moved down the tunnel and down, following the blue trail.

Why do I feel like we just bit off more than we can chew?

“Nightmare, if we work together we can do anything. Your magic and night eye, and my dashing good looks and combat power, we’ll have this completed. I mean its rats, not monster.” I shrugged my shoulders as a massive growl shock the entire tunnel causing a few rocks to fall from the ceiling.


You just had to fucking say that.