• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 12,293 Views, 1,245 Comments

Honor Above All Else - Honored Service



Honored Service returns to tell the tale of his year long disappearance.

  • ...
46
 1,245
 12,293

Elements of Where Are We?

Honor Above All Else
Chapter 37
By Honored Service
Preread by: TheDarkAngel and Tbone5363



Diamond sword by Akula417



Sparky zapp sword also by Akula417


“And once the chaos of the prison break settled down, the newest king decided to fight alongside Day Terror in exchange for more land to the eastern border,” Gilda explained from the chariot next to ours. Quick Flurry and myself listened intently to her story on how the griffon kingdom of Griffmeny turned to side with Day Terror and her shadows.

“I still can’t believe that they would trust Nightmare. I mean he doesn’t have the best track record.” I pointed out as the chariot bounced a little in midair. “Hey Fresh Greens! Try to keep it steady please, I nearly fell off.”

“That wasn’t my fault!” Fresh Greens shouted back. Panic was gripping his voice as the chariot was rocked again my some unseen force.

“Oh this can’t be good.” The grass and sand land below the chariot was approaching fast. The chariot was heading straight towards the earth. I could see the hills rolling up to meet us as we continued towards our rapid decent. “What is going on?!”

I screamed above the rushing wind beating at my face as we dropped like a ton of bricks towards the ground.
“Something URGH is pulling us down!” Sergeant Stand Bold shouted from the chariot pulling up next to ours. “We got get out of here!”

“Covert, Quick Flurry; you two get on Stand Bold’s back and then detach him from the chariot and glide to safety.” I turned to the other chariot with Gilda pulling it carrying Battle Plan and Hammer Strike, “Y’all get on Gilda and do the same!” The ground was a approaching fast.

“Excuse me?!” Gilda shouted as the two ponies began to climb onto her back.

“Gilda! Not now!” I screamed back at her. Both fliers were quickly unhooked form their chariots and sailed level to the ground as the chariots impacted into the soft dirt, kicking dust and sand into the late afternoon sky. Long trenches were carved into the earth as they came to skidding halt. I reached down and heaved my bag of weapons onto Fresh Greens’ back and strapped it down. He grunted at the extra weight.

“What about you sir? Jump on.”

“Listen kid, you just grunted under sixty pounds of weight. With all this armor and supplies, I'm pushing 220 pounds. I’ll be fine.” I unsheathed my knife and reached out the straps holding Fresh Greens to the chariot. With a swift slash, I cut the pegasus free. I immediately felt the chariot plummet down towards the earth at a sharp angle. The wind tore at my face as I dropped down

Down

Down

“Shit.” I dropped to my knees and formed a protective barrier around me with my magic. The magic was originating from the gauntlet which I placed at the closes point to the ground. “Please let this wor –“

SCRRRREEECHHHHH –BANG

I was flung forward as the chariot was flipped upside down and rolled. Thankfully my head broke my fall. I coughed and shrugged my shoulder feeling something pop back into place. “Oh that was the third worst decision I’ve made yet.” I slowly got to my shaky feet and walked towards the wreckage of my chariot. The sides of the chariot had been splintered into thousands of pieces and the bottom hull was ripped to shreds from the sheer force of the impact.

“Wow. That was stupidest thing I’ve seen you do yet human.” Covert appeared next to me, shaking his head at the destroyed chariot while slapping me on the back. I stumbled forward, pain shooting through my back.

“Ouch! Still a little tender.” I rubbed t he offending spot gently and sighed. Soon Fresh Greens, Gild and Stand Bold touched down near me and unloaded their ponies and gear.

“So what the bloody Tartarus was that?” Stand Bold said nodding towards the three impact locations from the chariots.
I looked up towards the darkening sky and smirked. “I’ll give you one guess. Who wants to keep us from finding the Elements.”

A collective group of “ohhhhhs” filled the air as everypony, shadow, and griffon came to the same conclusion. “And if we
were brought down somehow by Day Terror, then that means we are on the right path. So gather what supplies you can, we move out in ten minutes.” I reached over and picked up the large weapons cache bag and threw it over my shoulder, resting it on top of my backpack.

“Well at least the majority of the food is intact.” Fresh Greens said while picking up a brown canvas bag and opening it, “I hope everypony is okay with bruised… everything.”

“We’re all okay so that’s what matters.” I said while sifting through the wreckage of Gilda’s chariot, the one that carried the most supplies, “Battle Plan can you get us to the Temple on foot or hoof whatever.”

“Easily!” The unicorn stated with confidence, pulling out the map and facing towards the south and pointing a hoof off into the distance. “It should just be a two days journey from here.”

“Great, well then let’s get moving, we can break camp once we get some distance from the crash site.” If Day Terror really did cause our chariots to crash, then we needed to keep moving. I glanced down and noticed strange tracks crossing the sandy grass. They looked just like tire tracks. I bent down and looked closer. “The hell?”


“Ow. My head. And here I was saying I wouldn’t drink like that again.” Luna sat up and promptly shut her eyes against the morning sun. Trying again, her eyes were once again assaulted by her sister’ s sun. At least Day Terror was still keeping the rotation cycle somewhat in sync.

“Good morning everypony.” Spike said a little too loudly, walking into the main floor of the library. “I’ve started breakfast for everypony and oh Twilight,” the dragon pulled a scroll out that was tucked under his apron’s string, “this came for you last night.”

“Thanks Spike.” Twilight mumbled, making her way towards the kitchen. She fumbled with the coffee pot filled with the steaming liquid and poured herself a cup of the magic morning brew. As Twilight took a sip of the liquid she unrolled the scroll and began to read.

BBTTTTTTTTTTWWWWWWWWWW!” Twilight spewed hot coffee all over the table as she read over the scroll again and again to make sure she was reading it right. “Um Luna,” Twilight asked from across the library, “Honored sent us a letter.”


“Dear Princess Luna and severely misinformed Twilight Sparkle,” I dropped low to the ground dodging another swipe from a very angry griffon, “I had been informed that most of the journey to the Temple would be easy going. No bad guys.” I fired a Glock point blank into the face of the same griffon that leapt at me, intending to pierce me with his talons.

PSSH

“No obstacles of the dangerous assortment.” I side stepped as a broadsword was brought to the ground, trying to split me in two. Hammer Strike jumped in from the side and tackled the sword wielding griffon to the ground before driving his hammer into its face. I nodded and spun around jerked the M1014 shotgun off my back. I pulled the charging handle back and fed the first shell into the chamber.

“Boom stick says what?” I leveled the weapon at a griffon that was about to launch a bolt from a crossbow at Battle Plan and squeezed the trigger.

BOOM

The 00 buckshot ripped into the griffon’s chest, sending him spinning away from Battle Plan and firing the bolt as his body hit the ground. The steel bolt punctured into another griffon’s armored chest and sent that griffon to the ground.

“That counts as a double!” I shouted, pumping a fist into the air.

“That’s nice dude.” Gilda said calmly as she pounced into the air and jumped, talons out stretched, onto two griffon’s heads. She dropped both of them to the ground, blood pouring out from the holes in their heads, before dodging a stab from a sword and ripping her beak through the neck of the attacking griffon. “That’s three!”

“Oh that’s cool.” Battle Plan said while levitating four arrows onto his bow and pulling the bow taught. He released all four arrows at once, each one striking down a different griffon. “Four ladies.”

“Try keeping up kids.” Sergeant Stand Bold said while diving forward, thrusting himself through the air with powerful flaps of his wings. His word slashed sideways rapidly five times, dropping griffons left and right as his violent flight ended. “That was five fillies.”

“That ain’t nothing!” Quick Flurry said leaping and ducking in between griffons. He would slip around one, plunge his dagger into a spine before spinning around and slicing it along a pair of fore legs and then pushing the blade up into the underside of a griffon’s beak. He whisked around and propelled himself to the left with his one wing and delivered a fatal slash to a griffon’s throat who then flailed around and threw his sword into another griffon’s back. “Chalk up six!”

“Come to my level ponies!” Covert said slyly while disappearing into the shadows of the early morning light. The griffons attacking the shadow looked around for the shadow but couldn't find him. Suddenly a long burst of machine gun fire covered the battlefield as the seven attacking griffons jerked around violently, bullets ripping through their metal armor as if it was paper. “And that’s how it’s done.”

“This is insane!” Fresh Greens yelled above the clanging of swords on metal and the occasional gunshot. “You are all insane!”

“You're right,” I looked to the hovering pegasus, who was trying to stay out of the fighting, “I can't be beat by some shadow.” I concentrated a colossal amount of magic into my fist and thrust the gauntlet onto the ground. The griffons surrounding me suddenly began to flail around in midair as I levitated them into the air. I reached down deep into my mind and pulled up a spell I read out of a book I had with me. A book Twilight might be upset that I had. The griffons stopped struggling and slowly fell back to the ground.

The battlefield went silent as everypony gathered watched the odd twenty griffons just stand there. “Wait for it.” I said with a dark voice, an evil grin creeping onto my face. I snapped my gauntleted fingers and a spark of blood red magic jumped at every griffon that had been caught in my magic field. At once , every griffon turned on each other and began hacking one another into pieces. Their minds lost to my control.

Gilda, Covert, and the other ponies watched with opened mouths as the griffons slowly died off, till only one remained. He was covered in deep gashes and was bleeding heavily. I raised my hand and pointed one finger at him. “Finish it.” I spoke calmly to the griffon. He raised his bloodied sword and plunged it into his own chest before toppling to the side. “What was your kill count? Oh wait don't bother. I won.” I grinned and began reloading my empty weapons, ready to continue on our trip.

“Dear Princess Luna and Twilight Sparkle, let it be known that Day Terror knows about our travels and intention to acquire the Elements of Sanctuary. We were attacked by a large group of griffons. They used some type of magic to pull our chariots from the sky. But it wasn’t problem. On an unrelated note, Twilight I have one of your books. Please remind me to give it back.” I spoke aloud while writing down the brief letter. I tossed the scroll to battle Plan, who then teleported it to the nearest post office. Which had to be nearly 500 miles away, he looked visibly tired and spent after teleporting it such a long distance.

“Thanks buddy. Hopefully Spike will get that once they send it.”


“Wait what book?” Twilight went over her letter again as Luna tried to figure out how Day Terror could already be so close to them.

Twilight went over to her many shelves of books and began scanning through the different sections. “If I was trained killer and egotistical soldier who had just gained the ability to do magic, which book would I use?” Twilight thought to herself before turning and sprinting to the farthest shelf of the library. “He didn’t.”

“He better not have.”

She stared at the shelf holding the dark magic and most powerful spells in the library. Granted there were more powerful ones in Canterlot, but these ones were strong, scary strong. And if he was able to manipulate the spells to his liking…

“He did.” There was one book missing from the wooden shelf. “Spike.”

“What's up Twilight?” The dragon popped his head around the corner.

“Did Honored come in here asking about dark magic spell books?”

“No.” Spike said innocently while stuffing a massive blood red gem behind his back. “Nope.” His eyes quickly darted up towards the room that he shared with Twilight. Under his blanket in his basket, hidden from Twilight’s prying eyes were ten other magical enhanced blood rubies. Specially enhanced with Honored’s unique magic. They had a sharp spicy taste that Spiked loved.

“Spike.” Twilight stared harder at the dragon who was beginning to sweat.

“Um. Well he may have mentioned it.”

“Spike. Did Honored leave here with a book. A book from this shelf. The shelf that ponies only with permission from me are allowed to check out.” Twilight’s eyes were boring into the dragon’s soul as he backed up.

“Okay! Yes, Honored was here, he checked out the book Dark Magic and its Mastery.” Spike collapsed under the pressure and began to suck on the delicious gem.

“Why you would even have that in a town mainly populated by earth ponies is beyond me Twilight Sparkle.” Princess Luna had heard the problem. “And it is too late to do anything about it. If Honored already has the knowledge then their nothing we can do.”

“But I wanted to learn it first.” Twilight hung her head and walked away, ears flat against her head. At least she could use dark crystal magic and Honored couldn’t.


For the past few hours the trek through Mythartica had been, well boring. With the name Mythartica, I had been expecting weird animals to be jumping out of the sand and grass every few minutes. But aside from the griffons, it was a boring stroll through the park.

“So how'd you do that?” Sergeant Stand Bold broke the silence that had covered the group after the battle.

“What the magic stuff?” I asked without looking down to the pony.

“No the other magic stuff. Yes the magic stuff. You made twenty griffons fight to the death and then have the survivor kill himself. That was… I don’t know. It just seemed really dark.” Stand bold said shaking his head at me. “Honored I know you want revenge and all but you know what they say about revenge.”

“Yea yeah, Luna warned me already. Dig two graves. One for Nightmare and well ill figure out who gets the second one.” I grunted and continued walking straight ahead, following behind Battle Plan as he looked at the map and through a compass.

“Please Honored, I'm only saying this because you're my friend. I don’t want you going down an evil path. And back there, that wasn't a fight. That was pure evil.”

I sighed. Sure that had been dark, but hey I was learning dark magic. That is what Nightmare was and that is what I would have to have to beat him when it came down to it. And I was going to beat him at his own game.

I was about to apologize but I was stopped mid-sentence when the ground below us began to shake.

“Oh boy, here we go.” Quick Flurry said while crouching low.

“What could this be?” I shouldered my rifle and locked a round into the chamber. The ground continued to shake as Gilda, Fresh Greens and Sergeant Stand Bold took off into the air and began circling around us. But as soon as the shaking began it stopped.

“Well that was anti-“ I started to say but then from behind me a roar erupted from the earth and we all spun around as a massive creature exploded from the dirt. It was shadow alright. Pitch black and it had glowing red eyes. Oh and this one was in the shape of a fucking spider. Well a spider from hell. Massive fangs poked out from its mouth in every direction, and its eight legs were tipped in giant spikes.

“Well fuck me sideways.” I whistled at the behemoth before us. Black liquid slowly began to leak from its mouth and land on the ground where it evaporated into smoke into the air. “Oh shit, that’s pure dark magic. Don’t let it bite you, it doesn’t heal.”
I warned my friends as I aimed the rifle at the gigantic spider.

I squeezed the trigger and walked the magic rounds into the beast’s head. The spider jerked backwards as I kept up my assault. The brass casings clattered to the ground as I moved forward, hot lead crashing into the creature’s face, its eyes popping like zits on its face. Once the magazine ran empty, I stopped and waited. “Well that was easy.”

“Grrrrorrror- splat.” I slowly turned around and watched as the head of the spider fell of onto the ground. I smiled.
Then two heads sprang forth from the open wound. My smile turned upside down. “Well that’s not fair at all.” I backed up and loaded a full magazine into the rifle. “So yeah, let’s get to fighting this thing.”

Covert summoned up his SAW, Battle Plan readied an arrow in his bow, Hammer pulled his war hammer back, and Gilda smashed a fist into an open palm.

“Fuck spiders.” I groaned and aimed the rifle again. The giant spider whipped around and aimed its spider ass right at me.

“Oh for the love of-“

SPLAT

A giant glob of sticky white web flew through the air and covered my rifle in the stuff. “You son of a bitch!” I screamed, looking at sexual joke covered rifle. “And I just cleaned this thing!” Flipping the rifle around in my hands, I gripped the barrel and swung it like a bat into the spider’s head.

It leaned back from the hit and just stared at me with its eight red eyes blinking at different times. “Shit.” I mumbled before the spider jumped at me. I rolled to the side and ran back towards the group, “ Anytime y’all want to help, that would be great!”

The shadow spider screeched into the air before charging at all of us. Battle Plan quickly started to launch arrows at the spider’s many eyes. Hammer Strike swung his massive hammer at the spider’s striking legs, while Quick Flurry weaved in and out from under the beast, delivering slashes to the muscles on the legs and lower body. Covert jumped in front of the nearly blind spider and distracted it with his constant reappearing and disappearing trick and to top off the huge teamwork cake, Sergeant Stand Bold dive bombed the spider from above, delivering quick stabs with his sword.

I stood back and watched as my friends went to town on the giant spider. Maybe I didn't have to do everything myself. They were doing a pretty good job. Another arrow flew through the air and lodged itself in the spider’s last eye while two of its front legs were broken into painful looking angles thanks to Hammer. The four legs dragged awkwardly on the ground as Quick Flurry sliced more tendons away. Covert sliced upwards into the spider’s head as Stand Bold sliced down from above. the spider gave a faint screech and collapsed to the ground.

“Nice work everyone!” I clapped while removing the last bit of web from my M16. “Really bang up job.” A weird squishing noise came from the spider’s body. We all turned around to watch as the spider’s abdomen split open and a giant white sack exploded out and landed on the ground in between us and the body.

“What's that?” Fresh Greens asked from behind us, hovering to get a better look.

“No idea.” Battle Plan said, cocking his head to the side.

“Nope.” I mumbled. “Nope.” I said louder as the sack began to wiggle. “Nope!” I began to back away, everypony else copied my movement. I fumbled with my breast pocket and withdrew one of the four reaming purple magic bullets Twilight crafted for me.

A long tear formed on the top of the white sack.

NOPE!” I yelled as a tidal wave of baby shadow spiders exploded out from the sack. Literally thousands of the little demons began to swarm towards us. I locked the bolt back and fed the single bullet into the chamber. I remembered what happened last time I fired one of these miniature sonic rainboom rounds. I braced and pulled the trigger.

SSSSSSHHHHHHHH-BOOM-CRACK

I was launched backwards across the sandy grass land nearly fifty feet before slamming into the ground, carving a trench into the soft earth. The three shaded purple bullet slammed through the egg sack and ripped across the grass lands for miles before impacting into the side of large mountain, shaking the entire thing.

“Young one.” A deep voice mumbled form inside the cave at the top of the mountain.

The following sonic boom from the round obliterated all the little hell spawn spider babies as they tried to swarm forward. They popped open like popcorn kernels in a microwave.

“Fuck spiders.” I groaned, rubbing my shoulder and standing up. A long ditch was carved into the dirt from the path of the bullet and the following sonic boom. Everypony slowly emerged from behind small hills and rocks and formed up on me.

“Well that was enough excitement for one day, let’s keep pushing onward.”


“It should be easier to find a damn giant ass Temple in the middle of a grass land!” I through my hands into the air and continued to march forward with the rest of my traveling companions.

“Sometimes the hardest things to find are where we least expect it.” Covert said calmly from beside me. I shot him a glare and huffed.

“That kind of wise mumbo jumbo is bullshit! It’s a building called a Temple. That should be something that would stick out like a sore thumb.” I groaned. Manly I was just bored form the walking through the grassland. I was itching for an end to this war with Day Terror and the shadows. Putting an end to this once and for all was my only goal in mind, and if these stupid Elements of Sanctuary were needed then I guess I’ll find them.

Sergeant Stand Bold trotted up to me and gestured for Battle Plan to come too. “Well Honored Battle Plan here has something to share with you.” He nudged the unicorn forward, “go on tell him.”

Battle Plan coughed and unrolled the map. “Well according to this map, which is the most current one we could find, and by performing the correct azimuths on our positions-“

“Please Battle, I hate land navigation, just tell me what's up.” I sighed and prepared myself for the bad news that was sure to follow.

“Well this map shows that the Temple should be… how to put this… right here.” He tapped a hoof on the ground and looked up to me with an awkward smile on his face.

I calmly looked around. I moved in a circle looking all around the flat plain we were currently standing on. The group of ponies, Gilda, and Covert gathered around. “Battle Plan, I'm looking around here,” a tumbleweed lazily rolled by the empty grassland, “and yeah, I'm not seeing any kind of massive structure that resembles an ancient human sanctuary designed to hold super weapons.”

“I mean we only have traveled halfway across this world to reach this spot!” I jumped into the air and stomped my boots against the ground, sending dirt into the air. “But as long as the map says it’s here, then it must be!” I jumped again and slammed into the ground hard. I panted and looked at the ponies who were just giving me a wide eyed stare. “What?!”

Quick Flurry raised a hoof and pointed in between my boots. “There.”

I looked down and glared at a black hole forming beneath me. “The fuck?” sand was trickling down into a dark hole. I looked back up to the ponies as the whole continued to grow in size.

“At least this can’t get any wors ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-“

My scream was lost as I fell down, down, down, the hole into the bottomless depths. More screams above me signaled that my comrades would join me soon.