• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 501 Views, 4 Comments

The Element of Strength - LordKraft



A boy goes hiking one day and finds a cave. Through this cave he gets transported to Equestria.

  • ...
 4
 501

Part 3

The Element of Strength
Part Three

My next few weeks in Ponyville were the most tiring, work filled, and most enjoyable I had ever had. I worked around the town doing odd jobs, anything from fixing plumbing to unclogging gutters, and I loved it. I helped Twilight repaint the inside of the Library, Applejack bring in her harvest of apples, Fluttershy round up squirrels and rabbits, Pinkiepie watch the Cakes kids, and Rarity install a new shelving system in her shop. With Rainbowdash I didn’t help her with chores so much as with herself. We had started to date. After the incident in the maze with Pinkie she had asked me to lunch and we had just clicked. She was different then most girls. She didn’t mind getting dirty to have fun and loved a good race. She really understood me. We were meeting for lunch most days and most ponies knew that we were dating. Well except for our other friends, somehow.

We had decided to tell them. Rarity was having everyone over at her place for tea, well except for me “because why would a guy want to talk with a bunch of girls over tea?” My response had been a bit sarcastic “Well I like a hot drinks and tiny sandwiches as much as the next pony.” This had gotten a laugh from everyone, but still, I was banned from tea time.

Dash and I waited for everyone to be in the building before we approached. We pushed open the door where everyone was getting settled around the table, with a kettle of near-boiling tea and large stack of tiny sandwiches.
“What are you doing here Josh? I thought I said you couldn’t come with us to tea.” said Rarity.
“I know. I’ll be out of your hair in a few moments. You want to tell them Rainbowdash?”
“Tell us what Rainbowdash?” asked Fluttershy.
“Well I umm… don’t know how to get around to saying this but...err… Me and Josh are dating!” Rainbowdash finally blurted out “After Josh and Pinkie got back from that maze thing, I asked him out to lunch and we just, well, we just clicked. We’ve been going out to lunch almost every day since then.”

Everypony was sat in stunned silence for a moment before anyone spoke. Unfortunately it was me.
“I bet you wouldn’t have not wanted me to be here for this, huh?” I said with an almost smug voice.
“Well I really am glad for you Rainbowdash. I never thought of you as the dating type but it’s good that you found somepony special.” said Rarity.

After that there was a tide of congratulations and happiness for Rainbowdash, to which she looked truly relieved. I took a deep breath like I was about to say something, exhaled, shook my head and walked out. The day was nice and I could find something to do. Maybe I could go play chess with Spike or see if anyone needed help around town.
“Or how about a swim?” I asked myself, in the sudden realization that I hadn’t gone swimming in nearly two years.

I walked back to the library to find Spike. He was in the kitchen cooking up a lunch for himself when I walked in.
“Anything I can get for you?” he asked.
“No, I was just wondering if there was a good place to go swimming nearby.” I replied.
“You could always go swimming in the Everfree Forest.” He replied.
“Ha ha, very funny. Do you know anywhere else?”
“Well there is always the really big lake near Ponyville called “Lake Ponyville”. It’s a recreational lake only about a half-mile out of town.” He said, his tone dripping with sarcasm.
“I don’t like that tone of voice. Don’t make me get Twilight on you.” I laughed. After a moment I asked “Do you want to come with me Spike?”
“I thought you would never ask. Just let me go get my things.” He said as he dashed up the stairs.

He came down only a few moments with a big bag full of things. There was everything from towel to sunblock and snorkel gear. As we walked out of town we stopped by Rarity’s house to tell them where we were going.
I knocked and cracked the door and stuck my head in. “Hey girls me and Spike are going down to Lake Ponyville, just so you know. We’ll be back later.”
“Swimming sounds like an excellent idea, don’t you think so girls. We’ll meet you two at the Lake when were all ready.” Said Rarity
“Err… really wasn’t inviting you guys, I was just telling you…” I said, my words completely ignored as the girls chatted and agreed on how much fun it would be to go.
“I’m ready now; I’ll go with you and Spike.” said Rainbowdash.

We walked outside and Spike looked up at me.
“What’s Rainbowdash doing with you?” he asked.
“I don’t know how that happened.” I said bemusedly.
“How what happened?” asked Spike.
“Apparently I invited them all to go with us, somehow.”

Anyway, we walked out to the lake. The sun glinted of the beautiful blue surface and the woods around the lake made an almost picture perfect scene. Spike found a spot under the boughs of one of the larger trees to put down his towels. Rainbow and I made a bee line for the water. Right as I was about jump in I felt something grab me from behind. I was suddenly lifted high above the water. I looked up to see Rainbowdash carrying me out to the middle of the lake. She stopped and hovered there for a moment, smiling mischievously at me.
“No, you wouldn’t. Don’t you dare” I said incredulously.
“Don’t do what? This?” she said as she tucked her wings to her side.

We dropped like stones. I curled up to minimize the impact as we hit the water. We hit like two tons of bricks, sending water up into the sky. We spluttered to the surface, where we started the long swim back to the shore. I flopped onto the sand and lay on my back to catch my breath. I watched as Twilight and everyone arrived at the beach. Twilight had on a pair of almost comically large sunglasses, while both Rarity and Fluttershy were wearing big floppy sunhats. Applejack charged the beach, leapt right over me and into the water. I jumped to my feet and charged, splashing and laughing. Pinkiepie launched herself off a tree and landed in the water, sending water splashing down on Rarity, Twilight, Fluttershy, and Spike. We all laughed as Rarity chased after Pinkiepie.

We spent the remainder of the day at the pond, swimming and playing. When we left the sun was going down. Rainbowdash was hanging back as they all left and I stayed with her.
“That was fun.” I said.
“Yeah, but it wasn’t as nice as this.” She said as she rubbed her nose against mine. I had a very sneaking suspicion that this was the pony equivalent of a kiss. She blushed then coughed “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said before she flew off.

I ran to catch up with everyone else. Twilight smiled at me and nodded.
“Rainbowdash really likes you, you know that, right?” asked Twilight.
“Yeah, I do. And I really like her too.” I said as Rarity approached us.
“We received the tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala yesterday Josh and I’m going to need to see you in my shop tomorrow for sizing.” Rarity said without preamble.
“Ok… what’s the Grand Galloping Gala? And don’t you make dresses?”I asked.
“The Gala is only the most important event of the year! How have you not heard of it?” she asked.
“I’m not from around here.” I laughed.
“Well I do need you in my shop tomorrow. I need to take measurements for your outfit. I’m going to have a suit of armor made for you. For some reason I don’t think a normal suit would look right on you.”
“Well ok, I guess so.” I said.

Everyone returned to their homes. I got back to the library and washed off all the sand, before I went to sleep. To my surprise it was Rarity who woke me up the next morning.
“Come on, wake up. I need you down at my shop now.” She said as she shook me.
“A few more minutes.” I whined as I pulled the pillow up over my head.
“No, now.” She said as she ripped the pillow out of my hooves.
“Fine. Fine I’m up. What’s the big deal?” I groaned.
“No questions, hurry up.”

I yawned and stumbled out of the bed and followed Rarity to her shop. Nothing seemed wrong and the only other ponies in the room where Rainbowdash and Twilight.
“What’s the big deal?” asked Rainbowdash.
I thought for a moment before speaking. “You got us both here so that you could make matching outfits didn’t you?”
A creepy smile appeared on Rarity’s face. “I’ve always wanted to make matching outfits for a couple and now’s my big chance. You wouldn’t want to take that away from me, would you?” she simpered.
Rainbowdash both sighed before she spoke. “No I guess not. Well, you might as well get on with it then.”
Rarity let out a high pitched squeal and pulled out a measuring tape and handed Twilight a notepad. She started with me first. She measured everything from my height to the distance between my nostrils, dictating it all to Twilight. She moved on to Rainbowdash and did the same. It took her nearly two hours to finish her measurements.
“And to think I could have been sleeping right now.” I grumbled.
“I’m finished now. How about we all go for some breakfast?” said Rarity.
“I, for one, am starving. I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m going to get something to eat.” stated Rainbowdash

We left Rarity’s shop and walked down Mane Street and picked a restaurant. We ate while Rarity questioned Rainbowdash and I on styles and colors, where she eventually came to the conclusion that we really didn’t care what she did.
“Are you going to be like this every year, Rainbow?” asked Rarity.
“Probably, I just want my dress to look cool, and you know that.” said Rainbowdash

I smiled as I chewed on my sandwich, listening to Rarity and Rainbowdash argue. This is what having a normal life was like. When I was on earth I had never really fit. I was always the odd man out and was unlucky to the point that it wasn’t even funny. In Equestria tings were much different. Everyone seemed to like everyone else unless they had a really good reason and I was no exception. All in all Equestria was a more decent place then earth. As I thought this, images of my mom flashed through my head and a pang of guilt and sadness shot through me and I suddenly felt guilty for leading Dash on. My main goal was to return home and Dash couldn’t come with me. I blocked out those thoughts and feelings to deal with later and returned to the meal.

We finished and everyone went back to their jobs. Rarity to designing dresses, Twilight to her studies, and Rainbowdash flew up to clear out a few drifting dark clouds. I went for a walk. I walked towards the west, where a range of mountains set a skyline for Ponyville. Long before the mountains was a thick band of craggy rocks. This is where I walked. I hadn’t been by here yet and it had looked interesting.

I walked and thought, sorting out the jumbled mix of feelings and emotions in my head. I had always been good at curbing my emotions and thinking logically, kind of like Spock, but since I wasn’t half Vulcan I had to go back to those thoughts eventually or I would blow form an emotional overload. My thought chased each other in circles of morals and logic which, for me, usually went hand in hand, but I had never really had to think about anyone else feelings. I slowed my thoughts and sat for a moment and started sorting, morals first then logic. The only conclusion that I could come to was that I needed to explain this all to Rainbowdash and get her take on it. So much for figuring things out.

I stood up and continued on my walk. As I walked deeper into the crag field I saw mounds of loose dirt, like little hills. I walked up o one and poked it with my hoof. Te dirt fell back to revel something big and gray, which sprung out of the hole and grabbed and pulled me down through the dirt. I tried to wiggle my way out of its grip but as it pulled me through a tunnel my head banged against the walls, dazing me. It finally let go of me and I fell from the tunnel and on to a solid stone floor, knocking the wind out of me. Once I had caught my breath I stood up and looked around the stone chamber. It was a semi circle closed off with iron bags and a gate. A lantern hung just on the other side of the bars.
“Oh my god, not again! Don’t you people realize that I have more important things to do then get caught and be put through some sadistic weird test?” I shouted.

When I had finished yelling my head was swimming and when I looked around everything was blurry. I reached up and touched my head where it had it the wall. My hoof came down coated in blood and I groaned.
“Just great I’ve probably got concussion too.” I grumbled.
“Take these bandages. I don’t want you bleeding all over my cave.” said a voice from outside of the bars.

I looked up to see a pony. He was wearing a large brown cloak that covered almost all of him, including his face. He had tossed a small clump of bandages which I picked up, and after a moment of awkward pulling, I had fastened around my head to stem the bleeding.
“Who are you?” I asked.
“That is not for you to know. I’ll only tell you that I am the leader of the diamond dogs, and you are now mine and their slave.” He said as he turned around and walked back into the darkness of the cave.

I sat down and thought about my predicament. I was a prisoner and a slave. I looked up at the hole from which I had fallen. It was sealed shut by stone. I looked around my cage and the only other thing was a small pile of hay, which I assumed was for either bedding or food. I was drowsy and knew that you shouldn’t sleep if you had concussion. I paced to keep myself awake. There was nothing beyond my little circle of light and I heard nothing. So I waited. And waited. And waited.

It was hours before anything happened. I was sitting and watching the lantern when I heard something come down the hall. I blinked few times to adjust my eyes and watched as a large gray dog like thing approached the cage. It was about five feet tall with a hunched back and long swaying arms and a face like a bulldog. It held a harness that looked awfully small.
“You, pony. You dig up the gems and carry for us.” It growled.
“Bite me.” I said.

Its snarl suddenly turned to a rictus smile and it fumbled a key into the door and charged in its teeth bared. I stood up and backed up against the back wall, placing my back hooves against the wall. The thing charged forward and I pushed off with all my strength. My front hooves leading, I tucked my head to the side, so that when we hit, the thing was the one who was knocked out. I grabbed the key out of the key hole and locked the dog thing in the cell.

As I ran down the cave, the adrenaline ebbed away and things started to blur together and I felt the beggings of a horrible headache. I ran through it and followed the cave to a large circular room. It was lit all over with lanterns. I heard the pinging of pickaxes on stone. There were more dog things in this room all looking the same. They saw me and charged. I couldn’t run well enough to get away, so I would have to fight.

The first one reached me a few seconds after I entered the room. It jumped; teeth and claws bared, and went for my throat. I rolled to the side and sprung up, my hind legs lashing out and striking the beast in the chest, sending it sprawling. Two more charged straight at. I ran towards them, and right as I got within their striking range, I dropped to the ground and slid between them. I hopped up behind them and they turned. It was too late; I was already too close to them. I head butted the first and jumped up and over the second ones claws, landing on its back. I pushed off with all my might and went flying through the air. I hit the wall harder then I had expected and was stunned. I heard more of the dogs rush into the room. They pinned me to the floor and I watched as the pony I had seen in the large cloak earlier approached.
“Very good. You are strong and spirited. You’ll be a good guard.” He said. “Take him to the main hall.”
“Get back here so I can kick your ass!” I screamed.

The dogs tied my legs together and carried me, upside down, through the caves. I tried to follow where they were taking me but the caves twisted far too much and my headache was now in full swing. They finally slowed down as we entered another room, this one much like the other, big, round, and well lit. They set me down and undid the rope. I hopped backwards, ready for a fight, only to come face to face with a wall of the dog things. I backed away and turned around to look at the room. The only thing in the room was a large stone throne which was settled in front of a gaping pit that took up all of the floor behind it. Sitting on the stone throne was the pony in the cloak. I walked closer and glared at him.
“Bow before me.” he said, trying to put on a royal tone in his voice.
“My god, I wish I had fingers right now.” I said to myself.
“I said bow!” he screamed.
“No thanks, your floor is dirty.” I replied.
“Then I will make you.” He said as he stood up from his throne.
“You might be all big and scary up there, but I promise you that if you come down here I will toss you down that hole.” I said.
“How dare you mock me! I am the ruler of the diamond dogs, and soon I am going to be the King of Equestria!” he ranted.
“Fat chance. The Princess could beat you and your pitiful army by herself if she saw you as a threat.” I stated.

I must have struck a nerve, because he charged down the stairs. I sighed and ran at him. We intercepted at the bottom of the stairs. He lashed out with is front hooves and I ducked and brought my head into his stomach, which knocked the air out of him and caused my vision to blur and I reeled back. He recuperated faster than me and took his advantage. He kicked me in the side and I stumbled. I recovered my balance only in time to see his back hooves sailing at my head. They hit like a ton of bricks and my vision started to fade. I was mad now. He came closer and reared up on his hind legs to deliver a final blow. I slid to the side and tackled him sending us both sprawling. I lashed out with my hooves as we tumbled, grinning at the sounds of impact. Suddenly the ground dropped from below us and I managed to grab the ledge in time. I looked to see that the other pony was hanging on. His cloak was missing and I could see him. He was covered in thick scars; they covered most of his face and body. He glared at me and spoke.
“This is your fault.” He stated.
“Shut up and help me get us out of this mess.” I said as I struggled to climb back up.

I looked up and saw that the dogs were gone. I could hear yelling coming from down the hall. There was another load shout and I saw Fluttershy emerge from the cave.
“Fluttershy, over here!” I yelled.

She looked up and rushed over. She looked indecisively at me and then at the scarred pony.
“Him first.” I said.

He looked at me like I was crazy.
“Why?” he asked.
“I’m stronger and can hold on for longer, now shut up and go!” I yelled.

He grabbed Fluttershy’s hoof and with their combined effort where able to pull him up. After catching their breath for a second they tried to pull me up. I grabbed the scarred pony’s hoof and pulled. When I started to pull my hoof slipped and I fell. I looked up and saw Fluttershy, her mouth open in horror. I watched as I fell, almost in slow motion, as Rainbowdash flew over Fluttershy and down the pit, right at me. She passed me and flew below me. She flipped around and flew back up at me. She hit me in the middle of the back and I was suddenly rising. I turned to look at Rainbowdash. She was straining to fly with my weight and was starting to slow and we were barely halfway there. I watched as the scarred pony grab something and toss it over. It was rope.
“Get me to that rope and I can get us out.” I said to Rainbowdash.

She nodded and flew at the rope. I grabbed it in my teeth and tied it around us and pulled on the rope. We started being pulled up inches at a time.
“Thanks. You know you’re really heavy, you should lose some weight.” panted Rainbowdash.

When we got to the top I saw the scarred pony and Fluttershy pulling on the rope. I clambered over the lip of the pit and pulled up Rainbowdash. I untied us and we walked over to Fluttershy.
“….you could come live with us in Ponyville if you wanted too. People might stare at first but they’ll get used to you.” I heard Fluttershy finish.
“No, I can’t, I’ve got a family I need to return too.” said the scarred pony. He turned to me and spoke “I am sorry for what I’ve done. The diamond dogs did this to me.”
“The scars or the crazy ruler part?” I asked.
“Both, and you freed me from the grasp of insanity.” He said.
“No problem I guess.”
“Enough with the apologies, we need to find everypony else. We got separated when we got down here.” said Rainbowdash.

The scarred pony nodded and grabbed a lantern.
“Follow me.” He said.

We ran down the hall, around bends and twists until we heard the sounds of the diamond dogs fighting. We ran around the corner to find a room. It wasn’t as big as the throne room, but was just as well lit. The diamond dogs where all facing one corner, and away from us. I looked at the scarred pony and Rainbowdash and nodded. We charged.

Rainbowdash grabbed a large rock and pulled up above the heads of the diamond dogs and dropped it, which landed with a sickening crunch. I leapt forward and struck out with my hooves, battering heads and necks. The scarred pony was doing the same. As we worked our way in I heard Applejack give a rallying cry and the dogs started to drop faster and faster. The dogs started to scatter as we got closer, thinning the lines. Once the last few had run off I looked around to see everyone. Me, Applejack and the scarred pony were beat up and bruised, but not to hurt. Twilight and Rarity looked exhausted from all the magic they had used. Rainbowdash walked up to my side and smiled.
“Don’t you get lost again, you hear me?” she joked
“Loud and clear, chief.” I laughed.
“I know a way out, it’s not too far from here.” said the scarred pony.
“Well lead on then. I don’t want to stay down here any longer then I have too, it’s absolutely disgusting.” said Rarity.

He nodded and led us down another tunnel and we followed. The tunnels twisted and turned but he seemed to know where he was going. We followed him to a small room with a ladder in the middle that led into the roof. There was a movement in the corner and I dropped into a defensive stance. Out of the shadow walked a diamond dog, but this one was larger probably seven feet tall and laden with thick bulgy muscle and it was carrying a large bullwhip.
“Go, the rest of you leave, I’ve got this one.” said the scarred pony.
“No, I’m staying, I’m not letting you get hurt protecting us.” I said.
“But-“Rainbowdash started.
“No, you all are leaving, I’m not letting you get hurt trying to save me.” I growled at her. “Now go, before things get ugly.”

She was taken aback for a second then she nodded; hopefully understanding my intent was good. They started up the ladder as the whip wielding diamond dog approached. It smiled as it watched me and the scarred pony back up.
“Is it safe to assume this is the dog that gave you those scars?” I asked.
“Yeah, and now it’s time for my revenge.” smiled the scarred pony.

I looked in his eyes and I could only see bloodlust. They must have done horrible things to him.
“Come to me, little ponies I have a gift for you.” growled the diamond dog.

He lashed out with his whip. It struck at my feet and I hopped back. Instead of moving away, the scarred pony charged the dog. He jumped and almost reached the dog, but he was struck out of the air by one of its paws. I ran forward keeping, low to the ground, and jumped and planted my hooves against it chest, but instead of unbalancing it, I flew off of it. It laughed and began to strike out with its whip. I dodged and evaded the blows but the scarred pony ignored the pain and ran forward and tried to grab the whip, but the dog grabbed him instead, lifting him up and crushing him. I charged and leapt, barley grabbing the whip as passed. I pulled it out of the dogs hands and grabbed both ends in my mouth, making a loop in the slack. I tossed the loop over the dogs head and pulled, dragging him down. He reached for his throat and released the scarred pony. He ran over to me and grabbed one of the ends and ran to one side of the room. I sprinted to the other. The dog clawed at its neck and tried to pry off the makeshift noose. We only pulled tighter until its eyes bulged and it stopped flopping. We waited a moment before we let the whip go. We left the room without talking and emerged to a group of our anxious friends.
“What happened down there?” asked Twilight.
“We dealt with a problem.” stated the scarred pony.

She didn’t look to happy with that answer and looked to me. I shook my head and mouthed “later”. We walked back to town but instead of the house, Twilight and the others forced me and the scarred pony to the hospital. When we arrived the nurse looked up from her book and her eyes grew wide and she rushed off screaming for a doctor. Two doctors took us into different rooms and began looking us over.
“Well you do have a mild concussion and some heavy bruising but you should be fine with some rest and stitches for your head.” stated the doctor after nearly an hour of poking and prodding.
“Ok, that’s good. Let’s get on with it.” I said.

The doctor nodded and pulled out a curved needle and threaded it and began the stitches. It hurt as there was apparently no anesthetic in Ponyville. He finished and patted me on the back.
“Remember to get some sleep and no heavy lifting for a few days.”

I nodded and returned to my friends.
“What did the doctor say?” asked a nervous looking Rainbowdash.
“I’ll be fine. I just need some rest and no heavy lifting for a few days.” I replied.
“Oh, well that’s good.” she said sounding relived.
“So where is our scarred friend?” I asked.
“He left a little while ago and he asked us to tell you “thank you”.” said Fluttershy.
“Did anyone get his name?” I asked.

Everyone shook their heads and nobody spoke for awhile, we just stood there thinking about that mysterious pony. We all returned home and I slept. I only woke when I could smell food cooking. I stretched and entered the kitchen prepared to see Spike and Twilight but was surprised to see only Rainbowdash in the kitchen. She looked at me and patted a seat beside her in a gesture to sit down. I sat and she began to talk.
“You want to talk to me about something important.” she said.
“How did you know?” I asked
“I just know how you think.”
“Am I really that simple to figure out?” I asked.
“Kind of.” she smiled.
“I did want to talk to you though. The only reason that I came to Ponyville was to get home. I’m not from here, and I don’t mean Ponyville. I’m from a place called Earth and I’m only here because the Princess thinks that it will get me home. I just don’t want to hurt you when I leave. You understand what I’m saying?”
“I do, and until you return home, you will be my boyfriend unless there is an actual valid reason for it not to be so.” stated Rainbowdash.

I smiled and nodded knowing that she knew that I meant well but not listening to a word I said.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment