• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 734 Views, 7 Comments

Once Bitten, Twice Shy (My take) - melodic_harmony



Twilight Sparkle, apprentice of Queen Celestia, must find and bind six ponies to the Elements of Harmony, to defeat the monsters that hold the Queen and Princess hostage. Also, Fluttershy is a vampire. Not a problem.

  • ...
 7
 734

Basically the comic word for word

Fluttershy

I am the Guardian of this forest.

I guide those who are lost…

Help those who are hurt…

But most importantly…

I protect those who cannot protect themselves!

An ear-splitting screech filled the air. Not wasting any time, I flapped my bat wings, taking to the air. I sped towards the place I had heard the scream, mentally hoping it wasn’t a pony. I didn’t know if I could handle myself around a pony, I hadn’t fed in more than a week, and the effects were starting to show. Even though I had only been flying for two minutes, I was tiring significantly. Only last night I could barely control myself around Angel Bunny. I didn’t even want to think about what would happen if I went into a feeding frenzy.

The source of the shrieks wasn’t a pony, thank goodness. It was a small baby bat, cornered by two hideous black equine-like creatures with glowing blue eyes and holes peppering their legs. Changelings. I scowled in disgust at the creatures, who dared prey on such small defenseless animals.

“Well, well, what a tasty little snack,” hissed one of the changelings. “What do you think, brother?” he said, addressing the other changeling. “Shall we eat it now?” Then he noticed me, standing over his frightened brother, baring my fangs. “A vampire?!”

I growled at the insects. “What are you doing here, changelings?! You are not welcome in this part of the forest. I suggest you leave before I make you get out!”

The changeling I had trapped scooted out from under my legs and closer to his brother. He shivered in fear, avoiding my blood red glare. “W- we were just--”

“I said leave!” I yelled, rearing up on my hind legs for good measure. The two drones scampered away, whimpering.

Sighing, I sat down to rest, my red eyes returning to their natural teal color. This was not the first time I had encountered changelings. For some reason, they seemed very obedient to vampires, so I used that in my favor. I couldn’t really understand it, though. Changeling blood was bitter and disgusting, so I had not much of a reason to cause them fear.

Noticing the bat that was still in shock at my hooves, I gave him a little nudge. He flapped his wings weakly and flew off. “Goodbye, little one. Go on, find your family, okay?” I called after him. The little bat let out a squeak of gratitude, before disappearing into the night.

A quick padding of feet drew my attention to Angel, who had just appeared out of the deeper part of the forest. He started to frantically say something and show wild gestures with his paws.

“Another pony in the woods? Are you sure?” I asked the little bunny, who had crawled onto my head. After receiving affirmation, I drew up my disguise, transforming into a yellow pegasus. I sighed forlornly, glancing at my pegasus wings. I really did miss them since my turning.

Rolling my eyes at Angel’s impatient tapping, I trotted after him. “Coming!”

Thinking about my disguise led me to think about my life before I became a vampire. I wondered who was taking care of my animals now that I couldn’t trust myself around them. Probably nopony, since I was practically invisible when I lived in Ponyville. For some reason, this didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. My animals were quite smart, perhaps they’d learned to take care of themselves…

Deep in thought, I hadn’t noticed where I was going until I was practically muzzle to muzzle with the lost pony in question. She was a lavender unicorn with deep violet eyes, and an indigo mane and tail that had streaks of pink and purple. She was wearing some kind of robe colored navy blue, and a matching pointed hat.

I shrank back, whimpering. I had no doubt that my eyes had shrunk to pinpricks. “Um, hi?”

***

Twilight Sparkle

I stared at the buttery yellow pegasus that had just came out of the forest. She was frozen in fear, staring back with scared teal eyes. Nevertheless, I was grateful to find I wasn’t alone in the forest. “Oh my gosh, hello! It’s so nice to see a friendly face in these woods!”

The yellow pony just sat there.

I chuckled nervously. “Oh, I’m sorry! In my excitement I’ve forgotten my manners. I’m Twilight Sparkle, and you are?”

Silence. The pegasus whimpered as she his behind her soft pink mane. After a few moments she finally squeaked: “Um, I’m Fluttershy… You’re not, um, lost, are you? Because I know this forest pretty well, and I could help you if, um, you wanted…”

I smiled, trying not to scare her. “Well, I’m not lost, but I could use some company from somepony who knows these woods well! Care to join me for a bit?

The pegasus seemed to relax a little bit as she got up from the ground. “I… suppose I could do that,” she said, smiling a little.

Our trek to Zecora’s hut was mostly done in silence. I learned that the pegasus’s name was Fluttershy, and that she used to live in Ponyville, but that was about all I could get out of her. When I asked her why she was living in the forest, she started to cry, so I dropped the subject. Whatever her reason was, I was just glad to have some company in the forest. Especially after what happened back at the castle…

The silence was broken, surprisingly, by Fluttershy. “Um, can I ask a question?”

I flashed her a reassuring smile. “Sure, go ahead.”

“W- what happened to your tail?”

I lifted up my tail to show her, which was bare except for a tuft of hair at the end. “In the school I go to, it’s customary to wear our tail just like this. It’s just tradition.”

“A- and what about your robes? What are they for?”

“Oh, I’m actually the Queen’s apprentice. Top apprentice, I might add,” I said, smirking a little. “These are the traditional apprenticeship robes.”

“O- oh, okay.”

She didn’t ask any more questions, so I resumed walking. I turned around when I heard a thud behind me, and gasped when I saw Fluttershy on the ground. “Oh my gosh! Fluttershy!”

Checking her pulse and breathing, I frowned. “Hmm, well, she’s still breathing,” I said, mostly to myself. “I wonder what happened?” Shaking my head, I picked her up and gently placed her on my back. She weighed less than normal, and that worried me. “It’s a good thing we’re almost there.”

Nearing Zecora’s hut, I saw a figure outside the door. The figure saw me, and turned in out direction. “Who goes there outside my house?”

When I came into the vicinity of the light the lamps above the door were giving off, I smiled at the sight of a familiar zebra. “Hello, Zecora! It’s so good to see you!”

Zecora smiled back. “Miss Twilight, my friend! It has been too long!” She then frowned, noticing Fluttershy on my back. “But who is it that you have brought along?”

“Oh yes, Zecora? Do you think you could take a look at my friend to make sure she’s okay? She fainted on the way here.”

“Of course, child, let us go. Then you can tell me what you know.”

Once inside, I hung my robe and hat on a hook near the door as Zecora checked over Fluttershy. I had placed her on Zecora’s bed, where she was resting.

Once satisfied with Fluttershy, Zecora turned to me. “Miss Twilight, you do not come often to these parts. What is it that troubles you deep in your heart?”

“Well, Celestia said you would be able to help me…” I bit my lip, glancing at the unconscious pegasus in the corner. “... but I’m still worried about Fluttershy. Will she be okay?”

“Your friend will be fine, let her rest. First you tell me what troubles you, that would be best.”

“Monsters have taken over the Celestial Castle, Zecora!” I blurted out. I could feel the tears welling up as I remembered the attack. “They appeared out of nowhere! Hundreds of them! Their sheer numbers overpowered us quickly. Celestia used the last of her magic to teleport me out and sealed the castle, trapping the monsters inside with her.”

I grimaced, as the memories flashed before my eyes. Tears streamed down my cheeks, matting the fur.

“Twilight! I’m taking you out of here! I must seal off the castle! I must protect my subjects at all costs!”

“Celestia, no! I won’t let you do this!”

“I must protect my subjects at all costs, my dear student. Take these to your mentor, she will know what to do. I have faith in you, Twilight.”

Sniffling, I continued. “The Queen and Princess are in trouble, but… there’s nothing I can do! The seal prevents me from being able to get back in. It’s powerful alicorn magic!”

Zecora placed a hoof on my shoulder comfortingly. “It is alright, dear one, do not fret. Surely there is something you haven’t told me yet?”

“Yes, Celestia gave me something before I was teleported out. She said you would know about them,” I said, igniting my horn and levitating six objects that I had been hiding in my hat. “But… they’re just a bunch of rocks. I don’t know how that will help me.”

Zecora’s eyes lit up. “These are no mere rocks, my child. These are the Elements of Harmony that you have compiled.”

“The Elements of Harmony?” Cocking my head in confusion, I examined the rocks more closely. They still looked just like rocks to me.

“Yes, these stones grant unfathomable magical power without hassle, enough to break the spell upon the Celestial Castle.”

“So these stones will enhance my magic?” I asked eagerly.

Zecora shook her head. “The Elements enhance the strength of that who holds them, but it is not so simple to use these gems. Those who possess attributes of the Elements you must find, however you will not go in blind. These stones are magic, and will react when one’s near, but first to bind one’s soul to a stone we must adhere. To grant their powers the Element must be bound, but in order for that, great displays of their elements must be found. But for the wielder to gain strength from the stone, they must form a bond with the Element Bearer alone.”

“So I need to find ponies that represent each Element to activate them and they will bind to these ponies,” I said, thinking out loud. “Once I personally connect with them, I will gain that respective Element’s power.” Turning back to Zecora, I asked, “But how will I know when the stones react?”

“First to you a stone must be bound, then the Element Bearers will be found.” Looking at me inquisitively, she said, “Now, Twilight, I must ask: are you ready for this task?”

Thinking about Celestia and Cadence who were trapped in the castle, and all the innocent ponies that didn’t deserve to suffer, I easily made my choice. “I am.”

Pulling out a book from her bookshelf, Zecora flipped to the right page and grinned. “Then let us begin. Open your heart, Twilight Sparkle, and repeat after me:

To behold the Elements I open my heart

They shall only be used to bring peace and harmony to this part

I shall not use them for evil intent

Lest their power become less potent.”

As I repeated the words, I could feel my magic increasing, and my wellspring widening to accommodate. I was floating up in the air, and even with my eyes closed, I could see the bright light I was enveloped in. When I finished the chant, I opened my eyes to see myself wearing some kind of robe. It was a dark purple, decorated with pink sparkles, and a large six-pointed star in the front, just like my cutie mark. On my head I could feel a tiara, and looking into the mirror that was nearby, I could see it was the same color as my robe. My mane now had three colored streaks: pink, purple, and gold as well.

Zecora was beaming with pride. “Well done, Miss Sparkle, you have come a long way from the days of your apprenticeship with me. It seems the Elements and you were meant to be.”

I blushed, hiding behind my bangs. “T- thank you. That means a lot to me, Zecora.”

The joyfulness didn’t last long, however, as Zecora’s smile became a stern look. “Now then, shall we take a look at your ‘friend’?”

Her comment drew my attention to the still-sleeping Fluttershy. “Is she okay?”

For a few moments, Zecora said nothing. Then: “Fatigue is not the relation from which your friend fainted, but rather starvation.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Starvation? Has she been stranded in these woods all this time?”

“You misunderstand me, your friend here is not as she appears to be,” said Zecora, shaking her head. “Focus harder and you will see.”

Not completely understanding, I focused anyway, looking for traces of magical activity. My trained eyes noticed a faint magic seal where her wings were. “A magical seal? Why would a magical seal be placed on her body?”

Almost reluctantly, Zecora said, “Your friend is a victim of vampirism, a rare condition indeed. She used this seal to hide her true form and deceive.”

“What?!” I edged away from the bed, my breath quickening. “A vampire?! But… she can’t be!” I couldn’t believe it. I had just escaped the Celestial Castle only to have the blood sucked out of me by a vampire?! “I can’t believe I didn’t see her seal!”

“Fear not, child, you are still learning,” Zecora said reassuringly. “Your knowledge in magic is immense, in time you will develop a keen sense.”

After pacing around the hut for several minutes and probably making a permanent groove in Zecora’s floor, I finally said, head hung low, “So you mean… I was just going to become her prey?”

Zecora made a face, then shook her head. “I do not think that is the case. Vampires in her state often become extremely aggressive, attacking the first living thing they can chase. If she had wanted you to be her prey, there would have been no delay, child. For whatever reason that came through, she was restraining herself to protect you. By selflessly putting herself in jeopardy, she has drained all of her own energy.

What? “She… was protecting me? But… I’m a complete stranger to her…”

“The kindness in other ponies is often mysterious. I’m sure she had her reasons, and for which I am curious.”

Something in my mind clicked. “The kindness…” Looking back at Fluttershy, I could see she now was glowing a faint pink, and an image of a pink butterfly hovered above her. Zecora didn’t seem to notice. Nevertheless, I exclaimed, “Zecora! She’s an Element! I can sense it within her!”

“She must be saved then!” said Zecora.

“Saved?”

“A starved vampire is not a healthy vampire, Miss Twilight. From what I can tell, it has been quite a lengthy amount of time since her last bite. Your friend will not last long. Blood must be given to her to become strong. Pony’s blood.”

“So one of us needs to give it to her.” I was confirmed by Zecora’s nod. “I’ll give her mine.”

“Are you sure, child?”

“Yes. She’s an Element, the fate of Equestria relies of her survival. It is my job now to unite them, so I must do whatever is necessary.”

Zecora’s expression shifted to one of pride and… admiration? “You are brave, child. Very well.”

Author's Note:

The next Element I'm going to have Twilight find will definitely be Rainbow, and possibly Pinkie. I'm debating on whether I should make her Rainbow's second in command (because Rainbow's a commander in the Royal Guard), or a serial killer (cupcakes, anyone?). Comment down below what do you think would be a better idea. I'm personally leaning towards Cupcakes Pinkie.