• Published 6th Dec 2018
  • 1,240 Views, 62 Comments

The Lesbian: One Hundred Nights - Undome Tinwe



The human poet Sappho seeks her Muse in Equestria, and finds her in the mysterious Princess of the Night.

  • ...
33
 62
 1,240

XLII

"And then, Sparklefire barges into the throne room while I'm speaking with Noble Heart — her wife — and demands that I rescind the provisions for housing the Gemcutter family because she was convinced that Noble Heart was having an affair with Diamond Facet."

Sappho leaned in closer, the remnants of her dinner brushing dangerously close to her chiton. "And was she?" she asked, curiosity eating at her as she listened to Luna's recounting.

"Noble Heart had been disappearing with Diamond Facet often since she moved in," Luna said, ignoring Sappho's question and drawing out the suspense. "And Sparklefire caught them hiding in a storeroom talking about... something — she wasn't entirely certain as to what. It was very obvious that the two of them were hiding something from her."

"Did Noble Heart confess, then?"

Luna nodded. "She did." A devilish smirk played at her lips. "She produced from her dress a jewellery box and presented it to her wife. As it turns out, Noble Heart had always secretly been ashamed that she hadn't had the money to provide for Sparklefire a proper wedding ring befitting a lady such as herself all those years ago. Diamond Facet was helping her create a much nicer ring as gratitude for taking her family in after the Empire's disappearance, with a proper setting of precious stones."

Sappho gasped, putting a hand over her own mouth to hide her surprise. "How sweet! And what did Sparklefire say?"

"She cried and apologized for doubting Noble Heart and for accusing Diamond Facet of trying to steal her wife, and then they embraced." Luna smiled at the recollection. "It was very sweet. And then they remember that they were in Court, and that I was still present in the room."

A giggle escaped from Sappho before she could contain it. "What I would give to have seen their faces. I take it they were quite embarrassed?"

"Naturally. Sparklefire apologized to me, and begged me for mercy."

"And you let her sweat for a while before you pardoned her, didn't you?" Now it was Sappho's turn to wear the teasing smile.

"You wound me, Sappho!" Luna placed a hoof over her chest in mock outrage. "Surely you do not believe that I would take advantage of such a sensitive matter for my own amusement?"

A deadpan stare was Sappho's reply. "I know you far too well to believe you would do otherwise."

"Undone by my own lover." Luna leaned back in her seat in a dramatic pose, her eyes closed and one front hoof raised over her head while the other slumped down onto the floor. "I fear my heart will never recover from this betrayal."

"What if I kiss it better?" Sappho asked, preparing to stand up and do just that. Already, warmth filled her mind at the anticipation.

"Alas, I can only be cured by the kiss of a maiden." Luna cranked one eye open to wink at her. "But I suppose you'll do." Before Sappho could reply to Luna's jab, a knocking sounded at the door.

Both mare and human quickly returned to a more appropriate pose befitting two friends sitting down for a shared meal.

The door opened and a unicorn in formal attire stepped into the room, a cart of covered dishes following behind him in his magical grasp. "Are you ready for dessert, Princess?" he asked, addressing Luna as was proper. Even though this was Luna's private dining room, protocols still had to be observed.

"We are, Glaze Roast," Luna replied.

"Very good." The two covered plates floated over towards the pair of diners. "I trust you enjoyed the rest of your meals?"

Luna nodded. "As usual, you have done fine work."

"I feel I have eaten like a Queen," Sappho added. "I am ever grateful to the kitchens for providing sturgeon for my meal. It is a rare delicacy in my homeland."

"It was our pleasure, Lady Sappho," Glaze Roast said, a smile cracking through his formal mask. "The castle had just received a shipment of fish for the visiting Griffon Envoys, and Fillet Cut has been eager to hone his skills once again in cooking with flesh."

"Then please, send my most sincere compliments to Fillet Cut. The sturgeon was cooked even better than the chicken from last week."

The smile broke through as Glaze wore a wide grin. "He will be most glad to hear it. Thank you, Lady Sappho." With that, he uncovered their desserts — modest plates of various fruits from the realm — before taking his leave.

"The castle staff seem quite enamoured of you," Luna commented as she picked at the grapes on her plate.

Sappho looked up from her own meal in surprise. "Are they?"

"I saw Tea Cozy bringing in the good Oolong for your meeting with my sister, and I heard from Clean Sweep that you offered to visit her daughter on her birthday because she wanted to meet 'The Human.'" The pride in Luna's tone made Sappho's heart soar, and she had to hide her face behind her hand to cover up her blushing.

"I have only been returning the kindness that they have shown me," Sappho replied with a helpless shrug. Then, eager to change the subject, she looked back down at her plate and spoke the first thought that came to her mind. "Oh, pomegranates! How wonderful!" she exclaimed with slightly excessive enthusiasm. "These are my favourites. Did you know that Hades, the God of Death, used these to trap his bride Persephone in the Underworld with him?"

Luna raised a sceptical eyebrow at that. "Oh? I don't think I've heard this story from you before."

"Well, the most popular account is that Hades desired Persephone so much that he kidnapped her and took her to his realm — the Afterlife. He kept her there for as long he could, and tried to convince her to stay with him, but she wanted to leave. Eventually, he was forced to let her go, but not before tricking her into eating four pomegranate seeds.

"By Divine Law, she was thus forced to spend four months each year in Hades' realm with her husband. During those months, her mother Demeter, Goddess of Harvest, mourns and allows the world to grow cold, and thus did we gain the season of Winter."

Luna's expression soured as she listened to the story. "How horrid!" she declared, stomping a hoof angrily at the ground. "So Persephone is doomed to be with that monster Hades once a season for all eternity?"

"If you believe that version of the story, yes," Sappho replied simply. She paused for effect before continuing. "But there is another telling of the story that is quite different, and that I quite prefer. In it, Persephone and Hades were madly in love, but Demeter would not allow her daughter to be wed to the God of Death.

"He brought her to his realm to hide, and so that they could be together, but Demeter lobbied Zeus to force him to release her daughter back to her. Desperate, Hades fed her the pomegranate seeds, so that she might be bound to the Afterlife forever, and to force Demeter to accept their union."

"That is hardly a happy ending," Luna grunted, "but I suppose it is better than the alternative. Now, finish your pomegranate seeds so that you might be with me forever." Both of them winced as they processed their words and realized Luna's mistake.

They had danced around Sappho's desire to return to Lesbos, and the fact that the scholars had been steadily progressing in their studies, though they were still quite far away from any real solution. Every day with Luna weakened Sappho's resolve, but she knew her duty, and she knew that this land was not her home, even if she'd grown close to the ponies here.

Luna was not happy with this decision, of course, but she had said nothing, and understood that Sappho was only promised to her for a time. Still, it didn't make the silence any less awkward, and Sappho hastily ate to keep herself occupied.

After they finished their meals, Luna was the first to recover from the awkward silence. She cleared her throat and gestured toward their now-empty plates. "If you are finished, I have a surprise for you."

"Oh?"

"Are you free this evening?" Luna asked, even though Sappho knew that she knew that her schedule was empty. A princess was expected to be courteous, after all.

"I am," Sappho replied.

"Then come with me. There is something I wish to show you." The smile on Luna's face banished the previous tension, and Sappho found herself beaming up at her lover in return.

"Lead the way."

As they left the dining room, two pairs of guards appeared to flank them. Luna waved them off. "We won't be needing an escort tonight. Rest assured that all the wards around my person are still active, and should there be a threat you will be alerted as to my location."

The guards were used to this by now. Giving them a quick salute, they headed off to report to their commanding officers.

"Are you ready?" Luna asked, her horn glowing.

Sappho nodded. She knew what was going to happen. They had done this plenty of times, and the familiar tingle of Luna's magic settled in like a warm blanket around her as the spell charged, reinforcing her lover's presence.

With a pop, the teleportation spell triggered, and Sappho's world disappeared into darkness for a split second before her vision resolved itself.

They were outside now. Warm summer air brushed against her skin, tempered by the coolness of the night. Up above, the stars glowed in the sky, a vision of Luna's mane writ large. Looking around, she saw that she was standing on a circular platform, and the ladder at the centre told her that she was on top of some building.

"Where are we?" she asked, peeking off the edge of the platform before quickly stepping back. She had never seen Canterlot look so small before, and she was suddenly very glad that her companion possessed the power of Flight.

"The top of the Canterlot Observatory. They recently obtained a new telescope, and I thought we could enjoy some stargazing together." Luna paused, looking contrite as she bowed her head. "I am sorry that I have not spent much time with you in these past weeks. I have been a slave to my duties, and I regret neglecting you outside of the World of Dreams."

"There is nothing to apologize for," Sappho replied firmly. "I knew very well the type of mare I had chosen to be with. Your people needed you in a time of great turmoil, and you led them admirably alongside your sister.

"Besides, I greatly enjoyed our visit to the Conservatory last week, and I could never fault a mare who sang so beautifully." The fact that Luna had given her alone a private performance stilled awed her, and the desire and affection that she had infused into her voice had moved her so much that it had taken every ounce of her willpower not to tackle Luna to the ground and have her way with her right there on the stage.

Her praise at least made Luna's head rise up, allowing Sappho to see her beautiful eyes. "Be that as it may, I wish I had more time with you. Unfortunately, though the matter of the Empire's disappearance is almost resolved to the best of our ability, in the chaos of the aftermath it seems that our enemies in the Badlands successfully raided Tartarus. As Equestria's warden, I must ensure that the ponies are safe against this threat."

"I would expect nothing less from you." Sappho reached out to stoke Luna's face, a privilege she had been granted soon after their first coupling and one that she exploited as often as possible. Luna's coat was soft and warm and most pleasant beneath her hand.

Luna enjoyed the touch as well, leaning into her hand. "Still, I hope to be freer to spend time with you soon, assuming my duties at court do not continue to grow." She glared at Sappho without heat. "More nobles have been coming with matters for me to resolve since your arrival in Equestria, each with a more asinine petition than the last. I cannot believe I ever envied Celestia her audience. Sparklefire's outburst was the only silver lining for me in a month."

"Your people see you more now, and are more comfortable speaking with you," Sappho said with pride. "That is all on you, for becoming the princess you were meant to be."

"A metamorphosis I would never have undergone without your urging," Luna replied with a smile. "Now then, shall we see what the heavens have in store for us tonight?"

Sappho nodded eagerly as they headed over to the telescope. It was a marvellous invention that she had only seen pictures of in books at the castle library, unlike anything from her own realm. With their mastery at glassmaking, the Equestrians had created something called a lens which, when one looked through it at the proper inclination, could make things appear larger and reveal details that the eye alone could not perceive.

Luna manipulated various mechanisms on the large metal tube before gesturing to Sappho to place her eye over the aperture of the device. Sappho did as instructed and gasped as her vision was filled with a tapestry more beautiful than any mortal creation.

"This is incredible," she whispered, afraid to raise her voice lest she accidentally disrupt the delicately dazzling sight before her. "No work of art could ever aspire to such magnificence."

Luna's voice spoke into her right ear, and send chills straight down her spine to her loins. "It pales in comparison to your beauty, but I am glad you are enjoying my night."

"If others could see the night skies like this, Princess Celestia would scarce have anyone willing to stay awake during her day."

Laughter like the tinkling of bells echoed in the air, filling it with joy. "You are a delight, Sappho of Lesbos." A hoof tapping at her shoulders prompted Sappho to turn away from the telescope and the wondrous visions it had granted her. Her regret was short-lived, however, as she now found herself lost in Luna's eyes.

A soft kiss was pressed against her lips, and Sappho returned it eagerly, stopping short of devouring her princess. "Thank you for sharing this with me," Sappho said as they pulled away.

"Thank you for appreciating the night sky as few others do," Luna replied.

"There is much to appreciate." Sappho returned to the telescope, carefully swinging it around to see the rest of the sky. "How odd that we should share the same pattern of stars in both realms. I think I can see Orion's Belt in the north."

"Orion's Belt?" At Luna's curious tone, Sappho centred the telescope at the right point, and then stepped away and gestured at the device.

"Take a look," she said, and Luna leaned over to place her eye over the aperture. "Those three stars are known as Orion's belt in my realm, and the stars around it form the constellation Orion, named for the great hunter who was Artemis' companion."

"Oh? He must have been mighty indeed to have attracted the attentions of the Moon Goddess."

"He was the son of the Sea God Poseidon, and together with Artemis they sought to hunt every animal in the realm. They would have succeeded, if Apollo had not objected to how close he was becoming to his sister, and tricked Artemis into shooting him with her bow. In honour of his greatness, Zeus placed him in the sky, so that he might hunt among the stars for all eternity."

"Why is it that all your people's stories seem to end with death and tragedy?" Luna asked, glancing up at Sappho. "It is most depressing to listen to at times."

Sappho could do little else but shrug. "I suppose it warns us against hubris, and reminds us that life is fragile and worth celebrating while we can."

"I can think of much better ways to affirm the value of life." Sappho shivered at Luna's words despite the heat, and had to repeat silently to herself that there would be time enough for other activities later tonight. "Still, these stars have no name in Equestria. Perhaps I shall name them Orion, to honour the man who was worthy to stand beside the Goddess of the Moon. It would be most appropriate, since that would place him across from Sun Chaser."

"Sun Chaser?"

"Named in honour of a pony who lived many centuries ago." Luna sat down on the bench in front of the telescope, gesturing to Sappho to do the same. "Sun Chaser was a guard who had fallen madly in love with my sister. In an effort to attract her attention, he would volunteer for the most dangerous missions, and went on many epic quests across Equestria. He became a hero and was showered with accolades and titles, but Celestia never saw him as more than a faithful servant.

"It all came to a head when Sun Chaser stole the Idol of Boreas from the Griffons and presented it to her, along with a truly awful love poem." Luna chuckled as a fond smile graced her muzzle. "I do not think I have ever heard of eyes being compared to grapes before, nor do I want to ever again."

Sappho gasped. "Oh no! What happened then?"

"After Celestia rebuked him for risking war with the Griffons, she then explained to him in no uncertain terms that she would never desire him as he did her." Luna wrapped one foreleg around Sappho. "It was heartbreaking to watch, but necessary all the same."

"How sad," Sappho murmured, leaning into the embrace. "What happened to him afterwards?"

Luna smiled as she pulled her closer. "Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. The Griffons respected the skill and strength he displayed when he took the Idol, and returning it helped forge new diplomatic ties between our nations that continue to this day.

"As for Sun Chaser himself, one Griffon hen in particular was most enamoured with him, and he eventually married her and settled in their Empire."

"And did he still pine for Princess Celestia?"

"I spoke to him about it many years later," Luna said, the weight of centuries returning once again to her voice. "He told me that Fate had ordained his desire for my sister, but he had chosen to love his wife."

Then a mischievous glint washed those years away, as Luna lowered her head to whisper into Sappho's ear. "Regardless, after he passed, I placed his image in the stars to remind my sister how utterly horrid she was at seeing when somepony was infatuated with her."

Sappho laughed and turned her head to kiss Luna. "That reminds me of the story of Echo and Narcissus. You see, Echo was a nymph..."

Time ceased to exist as Sappho and Luna shared stories of their realms with each other under the night sky, the warm summer breeze drifting lazily across the platform. Every so often, they'd stop to stare through the telescope at the stars, and would point out constellations to each other. It was a perfect moment of blissful union, and Sappho wished it never had to end.

At one point, in between sharing a kiss that had Sappho feeling lightheaded and Sappho telling the story of Orpheus and Eurydice, Luna extricated herself from their embrace, a hesitant look crossing her face.

"I had another purpose for bringing you here tonight," she said. "There is something I wished to give you. A gift I have been working on for some time."

"You don't have to give me anything," Sappho replied, shaking her head. "I did not become your lover for fineries."

"And that is exactly why you deserve the finest this land has to offer." Luna's horn glowed as she conjured up a medium-sized box and opened it with her magic.

Sappho gasped as she beheld its contents.

Attached to a plain silver chain, a pearl-and-amethyst pendant in the shape of Luna's crescent moon cutie mark sat on a velvet cushion. The craftsmanship was exquisite, and Sappho's eyes hungrily devoured every perfect line and curve and facet of the masterwork.

"Beautiful," she whispered, barely able to bring herself to touch such a vision of artistry.

"There's more," Luna said. "Pick it up and hold it out in the light of the moon."

Sappho did as instructed, gripping the necklace by the chain. As soon as the moonlight fell upon the pendant, the pearl facsimile began to give off a soft glow. Sappho stared at it, enraptured, her mouth dry and her heart pounding at the sight.

"I cannot accept this," Sappho said finally. "This is a treasure fit for a queen."

"That it is," Luna said, taking the necklace in her hooves. "And as the Princess of the Night, I can give it to whomever I see fit." She paused, looking mortally uncertain once again. "I understand if you do not wish to wear such an obvious symbol of mine on your person, but I think the ponies know how much you mean to me as a friend, and would not find it odd."

Sappho stared at the necklace. Its luminescence was hypnotizing, and Sappho found herself lulled into a contemplative state. She thought of Luna, and of love and choice and Fate. She was here for a reason, and even if she intended on leaving one day, she had a choice in how she wished to spend her time here, and after.

Finally, just as Luna's face began to fall, she reached out and took the necklace. "No," she said. "There will be no need for deception." She placed the necklace over her head, feeling complete for the first time in her life as the pendant slid into place around her neck. "Let everyone see to whom my heart belongs to.

"I love you, Luna." Oh, how easy it was to say those words! And how joyous it was to her heart to say it! "Even when I return to my realm, I will not submit to be any other's. You shall be the only one to share in my heart and my body."

Luna's eyes sparkled with tears. "And I thought my gift was thoughtful," she said with a choking laugh. "You have given me something of value beyond all the jewels in my vault, and I shall treasure it for all eternity. Thank you, Sappho of Lesbos." There was nothing else they could do but embrace after that heartfelt exchange, as Sappho and her Princess laughed and cried and celebrated in the bright future of their union.

The rest of the night passed by in even greater joy, and when it was finally time to return to the Castle, Sappho stopped Luna before she could charge her teleportation spell.

"We don't have to go directly to my room," she said. "We have nothing to hide, now."

Luna smiled. "Indeed."

Her horn glowed and the pair vanished, but instead of reappearing in her familiar room, Sappho found herself standing at the main entrance of the Castle.

Luna nudged her with her barrel. "Are you ready?"

Sappho gulped. "I— I suppose." Reality swiftly descended upon her as she realized that she'd be announcing that she was bedding the ruler of a nation. There would be objections, and judgements, and other expectations which she might not be able to meet.

Sappho turned to look at Luna, and found her expression serene and joyous. She took strength in the strong mare beside her, and stepped forward.

"Halt, who goes there?" the guard at the gate cried out.

"Peace, Shieldbearer, it is your Princess of the Night and her lover." Luna stepped forwards, Sappho trailing behind her.

There was a moment of silence as they approached the guard and Luna nuzzled Sappho affectionately. Sappho saw the guard's stoic demeanour crack at the sight, his eyes widening in surprise and his jaw dropping slightly. She waited an endless moment in tense anxiety as she awaited his next reaction.

Shieldbearer quickly regained his composure and saluted at Luna. "Princess Luna, my apologies for delaying you," he said, showing no signs of acknowledging Sappho.

"Do not apologize for doing your duty," Luna replied. "May we pass?"

"Of course." There was an awkward pause as Shieldbearer finally looked at Sappho. "Princess, may I have permission to speak freely?"

"You may." The dangerous edge in Luna's tone clearly indicated that he was not as free as her words sounded.

Shieldbearer ignored her demeanour, his muzzle breaking out in a wide grin. "It's about time the two of you revealed your relationship! We've been waiting for weeks!"

Both Sappho and Luna both stared at him in shock. "You knew?" Sappho asked as she was the first to recover.

"The whole Castle knows!" Shieldbearer replied. "Glaze Roast has been preparing a congratulatory meal for the past week, and Rose Gown has been complaining about how hard it is to pretend not to notice the looks you give each other. All the staff, at least, will be overjoyed and relieved to have this secret out in the open."

Sappho blushed, but when she turned to Luna she found her grinning as well. "Well, thank you for the support, Shieldbearer," she finally managed to say. "Please, have a good night."

"You as well, Lady Sappho, Princess Luna." Shieldbearer bowed as he schooled his expression back to neutrality and opened the gate.

Princess and mortal stepped through the threshold, and headed towards Luna's tower.

"I feel somewhat cheated at all the stress I've endured in trying to hide our dalliance," Sappho said, pouting.

Luna laughed. "The benefit of age and experience is that one learns to take such things in stride. By tomorrow, you too will be laughing at the lengths we went to in order to keep our secret."

"I'm never going to get the smell of hay out of my hair," Sappho grumbled as they passed by some of the maid staff.

"Welcome home, Princess," one of the maids, Broomstick, said. Then she saw how Sappho had one arm wrapped around Luna's neck in an affectionate embrace. "Are you—?"

"I have been informed that this is not a surprise," Luna said with a snort. "Go on, spread the news far and wide. I know how much this gossip is worth." To punctuate her remark, she pressed a kiss against Sappho, seeming to delight in embarrassing her and making her cheeks redden.

Broomstick tittered at the sight. "It shall be as you command, Princess," she said with mock solemnity. Then her eyes settled on Sappho, radiating joy and kindness. "Welcome home, Lady Sappho. Shall we have your things moved to Princess Luna's room?"

Luna spoke, saving Sappho the trouble of having to answer. "Yes, if she wills it." She turned to Sappho for confirmation.

Sappho nodded mutely. "Thank you," she finally managed to say, an avalanche of emotion threatening to overwhelm her. "Truly."

"It is our pleasure and our honour, Lady Sappho. May you have many happy years together." With that, Broomstick took her leave, and Sappho and Luna continued on their way to her new room.

"And you doubted that the staff adored you," Luna said, amused. There was definitely a swagger to her trot, and Sappho couldn't help but stare at her rump as it swished back and forth.

"I'm sure the nobles will sing a different tune," she replied.

"Hah! And whose opinion do you value more?"

Sappho bowed her head. "You make an excellent point."

Luna tilted her head up haughtily. "Naturally. I am the Goddess of the Night, and my wisdom is without peer."

"I would be honoured to kneel before the altar of your wisdom, and worship as you see fit," Sappho said, her voice growing husky as they reached the door of Luna's chamber.

"Your devotion is appreciated, my love."

Sometime later, after Sappho had satisfied Luna with her service, and Luna had repaid her a hundredfold with pleasure, Sappho stumbled over to Luna's writing desk, and picked up her quill.

"I see I am not enough to lure you away from your craft," Luna mused from the bed, her ethereal mane adorably tousled in a way that Sappho did not know was possible for a magical construct.

"Worry not, my princess. Each word I write will hold you in their letters. Now, and forever." Sappho unfurled a scroll of parchment and, with a song in her heart, wrote her poem for the night.

How soon will all my lovely days be over,
And I no more be found beneath the sun,—
Neither beside the many-murmuring sea,
Nor where the plain-winds whisper to the reeds,
Nor in the tall beech-woods among the hills
Where roam the bright-lipped Oreads, nor along
The pasture-sides where berry-pickers stray
And harmless shepherds pipe their sheep to fold!

For I am eager, and the flame of life
Burns quickly in the fragile lamp of clay.
Passion and love and longing and hot tears
Consume this mortal Sappho, and too soon
A great wind from the dark will blow upon me,
And I be no more found in the fair world,
For all the search of the revolving moon
And patient shine of everlasting stars.