• Published 6th Dec 2018
  • 1,241 Views, 62 Comments

The Lesbian: One Hundred Nights - Undome Tinwe



The human poet Sappho seeks her Muse in Equestria, and finds her in the mysterious Princess of the Night.

  • ...
33
 62
 1,241

I

"Dear mother, I cannot work the loom
Filled, by Aphrodite, with love for a slender boy…"

Polite applause filled the chamber as Sappho finished her recitation and returned to her seat. Across from her, Cleïs smiled as she stood up. "Thank you, Sappho. Your verses are a delight to the ears as always."

Sappho accepted the praise with thanks, and the conversation turned to matters of gossip. In truth, most of the women in this poetry circle had little more than a superficial interest in the literary arts, preferring to spend their time pursuing their true passion of spreading the latest rumours. Still, it was the sole place for her to present her poetry, and there were some here who also appreciated verse.

Like Cleïs, who was walking over towards her. Sappho smiled as she approached. "Your poem this week was lovely," she said sincerely. "I could feel the ardour you must have held in your heart as you wrote it."

"Thank you," Cleïs replied. "I enjoyed your poem as well. Though, I must ask: have you been troubled by your Muse of late? Your verses lack the fire they once held."

Sappho sighed. "I confess that I find myself bereft of inspiration in recent months. Little seems to interest me, and nothing has come close to inflaming my passions."

"Have you prayed to the gods for aid yet?"

A shake of her head. "Perhaps I shall. If Apollo would but smile upon me, perhaps he might be persuaded to send the Muses my way."

"I wish you all the best." Cleïs gave Sappho a quick hug, and Sappho tried not to think about how nice the other woman's body felt against her own. "Until we meet again."

"Farewell, Cleïs." With that, the meeting was over, and Sappho left Cleïs' home to see her brother Erigyius waiting for her.

"Did you enjoy your little gathering, sister?" he asked as they walked back towards their home.

"I did, brother," Sappho replied. "Tell me, have you any word from Charaxus? I heard whisperings that his ship had returned today."

Erigyius frowned "He has returned to us," he said shortly.

Sappho glanced up at her brother. "Is something the matter with our brother?"

"He did not return alone. You shall see." That was the end of the conversation as they continued to walk through the market.

As they passed by the stalls of the merchants shouting of their wares, Sappho saw a familiar marble building pass by, and seven hunting dogs resting on its steps. Though it wasn't the temple she had intended on visiting, she suddenly felt within her heart a yearning to be inside. Taking this and the dogs as signs, she pulled Erigyius aside. "A moment, brother. Would it be possible for us to visit the Temple of Artemis? I wish to make an offering to her."

"Now?"

"Please. I believe it to be of utmost importance."

"Very well. Far be it for me to stop a woman from worshipping." Erigyius looked annoyed, but Sappho knew he had a soft spot for her, and would indulge her in this.

"Thank you, brother." Sappho stepped into the temple, Erigyius staying behind to wait for her.

She approached one of the priestesses, a woman by the name of Pirene, and paid the usual price for the privilege of making an offering to the Goddess of the Moon. Oddly enough, the torches on her offering cake were arranged in a crescent instead of a circle.

Considering that the moon would be full tonight, it seemed the wrong choice, but Sappho didn't pay it too much heed. She had never seen this Pirene before, either — perhaps she was a new initiate and unfamiliar with the proper symbols of worship.

Slightly odder was a new addition to the small menagerie of animal statues surrounding Artemis. In addition to the normal stags and hunting dogs, a lone horse stood amongst the stone hunters.

No, not just a horse. It had wings on its side, like Pegasus, but also a horn like a unicorn's. At this, Sappho had to speak. "Priestess, what manner of beast is this that stands beside the Goddess?"

Pirene smiled, some mysterious secret hidden in her expression. "It is known as an alicorn. A creature alike a horse but with wings and horn. It is said that they possess great power, and are much favoured by the gods. Now, are you prepared to make your offering?"

"I am." Sappho stepped forward and stood at the base of the statue of Artemis. Yet, as she placed down the cake at the Goddess' feet, her eyes were drawn instead to the statue of the "alicorn." Again, she felt a certainty in her heart, a feeling that this statue was somehow important.

As she spoke her prayer, her eyes did not stare at the feet of the Goddess before her, but rather at the odd creature that served as her companion. "Please, my goddess," she said. "I have found myself bereft of the touch of the Muses of late. Nothing stirs my spirits, drives me to put words on papyrus. I beseech you, inflame my heart once again so that I might find the passion to continue writing my verses!"

A gust of wind blew into the chamber, knocking over one of the candles. A stream of liquid wax dripped down from it, and with widening eyes, Sappho watched as it flowed around her in a circle, as if guided by an invisible hand.

Her breath caught in her throat as she turned around to see if the priestess was seeing what she was seeing, but she could find no trace of the woman. Instead, by some divine influence, the stream of liquid completed its circuit.

The wind grew stronger, knocking down all the candles. Bits of sand and leaves swirled around her as Sappho fought to keep her calm. Surely this was the doing of the gods? Artemis would not allow evil to touch her in her own temple.

Still, the winds continued to buffet her, the gathering storm blowing the fabric of her dress every which way. Splashes of colour and light sparked at the edge of her vision, and Sappho could've sworn she saw stars twinkling in the maelstrom. Her breathing grew faster as she curled into herself at the centre of the circle, dreading what might come next.

Her fears were answered a moment later when the ground suddenly disappeared beneath her, leaving behind an endless void that looked like the heart of Chaos itself.

Sappho screamed, and fell into the blackness.


"She's waking up!"

Sappho groaned as her eyes slowly opened in response to the unfamiliar voice. She was resting on something impossibly soft, so comfortable and form-fitting that she could happily have stayed lying down for a week.

And then her memories returned.

The Temple. The offering. The circle and the storm. Falling through the darkness…

With a jolt, Sappho sat up and glanced wildly around her. She was resting on some kind of raised bed in a room that looked to be made from blocks of stone. In one corner, a strange assortment of medicines sat on a table, and on the other side of the room was a window from which Sappho could see the Sun setting below a mountain range in the distance.

She let out a small gasp as she realized that a pane of glass covered the generously-sized window. What was this place, that could contain something so decadent?

"Do not fear. We mean you no harm. You are safe here."

Sappho turned to face the speaker, and her jaw dropped. Before her, standing on four hooves, was a unicorn. It looked different from the pictures in the scrolls she had read, with a shorter, stouter build than most horses and large, glittering eyes, but there was no denying the horn that sat upon its head.

Even more wondrous were the two horse-like creatures standing behind the unicorn, each decked in golden armour and carrying a spear in their hooves. A pair of wings sprouted from the sides of each armoured creature, large feathery things that were folded against their bodies.

If there had only been one, Sappho would have claimed him to be Pegasus, but two? Were the legends wrong? Was Pegasus but one member of a race of flying horses? Or were these his children?

"Can you understand me?"

The unicorn continued to speak slowly and calmly, even though it — she, as her voice was that of a woman's — was clearly tense, her eyes constantly darting towards the two winged horses who appeared to be her guard.

Sappho could only nod, her breath still caught in her throat at the astonishment of a talking unicorn. The accent was odd, and unlike anything she had heard before, but it was undeniably her tongue that she spoke.

The unicorn seemed to accept her jerking her head up and down as affirmation, her smile becoming slightly warmer. "Can you speak?"

"Y—Yes."

The unicorn's eyes widened in surprise as Sappho spoke, but her professional composure remained. "I am Tender Heart, the Royal Healer. You had quite the fall when you arrived at the Palace, but we didn't see any bleeding or major bruising. We used only the most standard healing spells to treat—"

There was a clatter of stone against stone as Sappho suddenly pushed herself backwards and knocked over a cup of water. The unicorn's horn was glowing! And next to her, a scroll floated in the air, surrounded by the same pale light as said horn.

Sappho stared at the suspended document, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Is something wrong?" Tender Heart asked, seemingly unaware of the new source of illumination.

"A—Are you making that scroll hover in the air?"

Tender Heart raised an eyebrow. "Have you never seen magic used before?"

"Magic?" Sappho suddenly felt a fool. Of course, these creatures would have magic. She could see two Children of Pegasus in her room, and beings blessed by the gods would no doubt have powers beyond humanity. "I have," she replied, recalling some of the rituals she had witnessed at the temples, "but not so casually used."

That seemed to satisfy the healer. "I see," she said, nodding. "I apologize for startling you. As I said, we used a normal suite of healing spells on you, and while we don't think they had any adverse effects, we need to know if anything hurts or feels wrong."

"I feel no pain," Sappho replied, unable to maintain her panic. This was all so normal, like being cared for by a nurse after taking a nasty spill down the temple steps as a child. If she closed her eyes, she could even imagine it was old Calliope fussing over a scraped shin of hers.

"That is good." A glowing quill floated over towards the scroll, writing some note or other down. Sappho traced its graceful movements with her eyes, unable to truly believe what she was seeing. "What is your name, if I might ask?"

"Sappho. Sappho of Lesbos." She wasn't sure if they would know where Lesbos was, but it didn't hurt to mention it.

Before Sappho could give a full account of her family, there was a knock at the door. One of the guards opened it to reveal yet another horse, this one blessedly normal with no horns or wings. Tender Heart turned to converse with the new arrival in hushed tones.

That was when Sappho noticed an odd symbol that seemed to be painted on the side of the healer's white coat. It looked like two leaves resting atop one another in the shape of a heart. Was this a brand of sorts? Tender Hearts called herself the Royal Healer. Was this the symbol of the King she served?

Her musings were cut short as the normal horse left, closing the door behind it and leaving the four of them alone in the room once again.

"Are you well enough to walk, Sappho?" Tender Heart asked, her voice still as warm as a mother's caress.

"I think so." Sappho slowly swung her legs over the side of the bed and slid off, lamenting at the loss of such a comfortable resting spot as her feet hit the hard, cold floor.

Tender Heart took a quick step back as Sappho stood up to her full, bipedal height. From this vantage point, she stood a couple feet above the healer, and she realized that she must look intimidating to the unicorn.

She kept her hands by her side, careful not to make any sudden movements as she tried pacing about the room. Whatever spell they had used to treat her injuries had left her feeling tired, but not pained, and her movements came naturally to her.

After a few seconds, she turned to face Tender Heart, who had returned to her warm, matronly demeanour. The healer looked at her with a critical eye before speaking. "Well, you seem no worse for wear. Good." Another scroll floated into the air. "Princess Celestia wishes to see you now in the Throne Room."

A princess wished to speak with her? Sappho's earlier fears returned with full force as she silently followed the guards outside the room. She had never met with royalty before — her father had called upon a few in his time, but her only knowledge of those meetings was from stories told afterwards. She knew enough to know that royalty could be dangerous, and that even a princess could be her ruin if insulted.

She had to believe that Artemis would not have sent her into this strange kingdom out of spite, for she had done nothing to offend the goddess. Perhaps this would be a great opportunity as well, an answer to her prayers. She would have to see.

The doorway led out to a small torchlit corridor. Hung on the walls were pastoral paintings of towns and forests and open fields that could easily have come from her own world, if not for the horse-like creatures with wings or horn or neither depicted in them.

"What kingdom is this?" Sappho asked Tender Heart. She needed to know more about this strange land she had found herself in before she incited the wrath of a princess.

"Why, Equestria, of course." Tender Heart shook her head. "Sorry, the Princess said that you probably weren't from this realm." They passed by another winged horse, who started a bit at the sight of Sappho but otherwise continued on without comment. "Equestria is the nation of ponies. We border the Griffon Kingdoms to the north and east, the Dragon Lands to the south, and the Minotaur Tribes to the west."

Sappho's head swam with awe. Griffons? Dragons? An entire tribe of Minotaurs? Truly this was a land of legends, where creatures from stories lived and breathed.

"Right now, we're in Canterlot Castle, the summer palace for the Princesses," Tender Heart explained as they climbed down a set of stairs. "It's located in Canterlot, of course, and has the best view you can get on Mount Canter."

She pushed upon another door, and Sappho was greeted by a corridor lined with large, glass windows, even more grand than the ones that had been installed in her room. The view they offered was nothing short of breathtaking. From this vantage point, Sappho could see that they were indeed on the edge of a vast mountain, rivers and trees little more than lines and dots from this height.

They must have been thousands upon thousands of feet in the air, and Sappho couldn't help but be reminded of the stories of another mountain. One ruled by powerful beings, where legends were made every day.

Could this be Mount Olympus, the Seat of the Gods? None of the legends said anything about their servants being ponies, but she had never seen a mountain as tall as this one before, and the creatures here used magic without a second thought. If Artemis had brought her to her own realm...

Her musings were cut off by the sounds of faint chuckling. Turning around, she saw Tender Heart hiding a smile from behind one hoof. "Don't worry," she said, humour suffusing her voice. "Most visitors react the same way the first time they see the view. I heard that the Yak Prince spent an hour staring out of this very window, and the only word he said was 'perfect.'"

"It is truly awe-inspiring," Sappho admitted as they began walking once again. "You are truly blessed to live here."

Tender Heart rolled her eyes. "It's less exciting when you have to see it every day. Thank Celestia I don't have a fear of heights like the last Royal Healer."

Thank Celestia? Did the princess share name with the goddess they served? And which goddess was Celestia? Though they spoke the same tongue, perhaps they gave the gods different names? After all, she had heard that, in the west, they called Zeus by the name of Jupiter.

There was much still to be learned for her. And she still needed to discover Artemis' purpose in sending her to this land, and how she could return to her home. Her family must be worried sick about her disappearance by now.

But first, she needed to see if this Princess Celestia would help her or not.

They passed by a veritable rainbow of ponies on the way to the throne room. Most had either wings or horn, with a few lacking both, and all wore clothes she recognized as equine versions of human attire. Tunics and chitons for the civilians, and shiny metal armour for what appeared to be the guards or soldiers. Again, Sappho could almost imagine herself at home among these creatures, if not for their inhuman forms. The ponies stared at her as she passed by, but none made any comments beyond hushed whispering.

She did her best to smooth out her own clothes as they approached a grand set of double doors at the end of the corridor. She'd selected one of her nicer cloaks to attend the reading circle in, but it had been scuffed from her fall and looked somewhat the worse for wear. Hopefully, the Princess would take pity on her plight and not judge her too harshly on her presentation.

Tender Heart handed over a scroll to a unicorn pony standing among the guards at the doors. "Good luck," she said to Sappho as the doors began to open. "I hope to see you again soon."

"Thank you," Sappho said sincerely. It settled her heart greatly that she had been treated with such kindness upon being transported to this realm, and that helped her gain a measure of control over her fear as she stepped inside the throne room.

"Announcing Sappho of Lesbos!" Sappho winced as a sound far too loud for him issued forth from the unarmoured pony. She turned and saw that his horn was glowing — no doubt using some spell to amplify his voice. Such a wondrous feat, and yet no one else seemed to be amazed.

She realized she was standing still at the entrance of the throne room when one of the guards gently prodded her with a wing. It was an odd feeling, similar and yet unlike being poked with a finger, but it was enough to urge Sappho forwards into a vast chamber.

The throne room was opulent, and beautiful, but Sappho had little time to admire the stained-glass windows or the ornate decorations in the room. Her eyes focused on the pair of thrones at the back of the room. One of them was empty, and bore the mark of a crescent moon much like the one on the cake she'd offered to Artemis.

On the other throne sat the most majestic creature Sappho had ever seen.

She was a horse, like all the others in this realm, but larger, with proportions more like those in Sappho's realm. Her brilliant white coat nearly shone under the sunlight, and even while sitting, she carried grace about her that Sappho had never seen before in any being.

Of course, all of this was secondary in Sappho's focus to the ethereal rainbow mane that surrounded her head, like a headdress woven by Iris herself. The corona of light framed her serene face perfectly, and as Sappho stared into those eyes that were too old to be mortal, she felt naked, stripped until her soul was laid bare to this magnificent creature.

There was no doubt that this was the princess she was to meet, and as soon as their eyes met, Sappho immediately prostrated herself to the ground, her knees hitting the cold stone with enough force to make her wince.

"Rise, Sappho of Lesbos." Sappho looked up to see Princess Celestia look down upon her with a gentle smile on her face. "It has been many a year since We last saw one of your kind. How did you come here, human?"

"I was making an offering to Artemis at the temple when some power beyond mortal understanding opened up a hole beneath my feet. I fell through the hole and, next I knew, I was awakening under the care of Your Healer." Sappho bowed her head once again. "I thank you for the generosity you have shown in having her tend to my wounds."

Princess Celestia waved off the thanks with a hoof. "When that portal deposited you head-first into this very room, you became our guest, and we take our hospitality very seriously."

"I fell into—?" Sappho's cheeks burned with embarrassment. "I humbly beg your forgiveness for my intrusion, Princess."

A warm chuckle, rich and full, issued forth from the Princess. "There is no need to apologize for something beyond your control, Sappho," she said as the last of her soft laughter died off. "After all, We do not believe you intended to travel to our realm."

Sappho shook her head. "No, Princess."

The Princess stood up. "Well then, until we figure out how to send you back, We offer you Our hospitality in Equestria. Will you accept it?"

"Yes, Princess." The gods had truly smiled on her this day, to have delivered her to a land of such kindness. "I am in your debt."

"We will admit, Our offer is not entirely selfless." For the first time, Sappho saw the cunning behind Princess Celestia's eyes, a calculating light behind the genuine warmth. "The Court Mages shall have to study you in order to determine how to send you back, which may provide new insights for our scholars."

The Princess walked towards Sappho, seemingly growing larger with each step down from her throne on high. "And We are always eager to speak to those with different experiences, to learn about their ways and culture and stories." When she reached the bottom, she looked Sappho straight in the eyes, standing at the same height as her. "Would you be willing to sit down with an old mare for tea from time to time?"

Sappho knew enough of the old stories to know that refusing such a powerful being was not an option. "I would be honoured, Princess."

The casual smile returned to Princess Celestia's muzzle. "Wonderful! Now, before I have my assistant show you to your room and work out the details of your stay, I would so love to ask you a few questions. It has been far too long since I have spoken to a human."

"I am at your command," Sappho said, still tense. Despite how benevolent Princess Celestia seemed, Sappho was still wary of spending time regularly with her. That would only lead to more opportunities to offend her, and she shuddered to think what terrible fates might lie in store for those who did.

Before Celestia could ask her questions, her ear suddenly perked up in a completely equine gesture. "Ah, one moment, please," she said, igniting her horn with a soft yellow light that Sappho assumed meant she was performing a feat of magic. "It's time for me to lower the Sun."

Lower the Sun? Sappho glanced out at the setting Sun, which still hovered far away from the horizon. Was this some form of ritual she was expected to perform? A benediction to Apollo, perhaps?

And then, right before her unbelieving eyes, Sappho beheld the most incredible vision she had seen so far, even in this land of wonder. The Sun, the hallowed orb of Helios itself, dropped below the line where land and sky met, plunging the world into night without warning as, at the same time, the Moon rose into the sky just as quickly, illuminating all the stars and bathing the land with its gentle glow.

The glow faded from Princess Celestia's horn as she let out a soft sigh. "My apologies for the interruption."

"Did… did you just lower the sun yourself?" Sappho could do nought but whisper the words, hardly able to speak such a ridiculous assertion.

Princess Celestia nodded. "It is one of my duties at the Princess of the Sun. The movement of the Sun has been my domain since I took over from the Unicorns five hundred years ago."

Sappho dropped to her knees. "Forgive my insolence." She had been wrong, oh so wrong. Princess Celestia wasn't simply a powerful royal in this kingdom. "I did not know I stood in the presence of one of the gods." It made sense now. Sappho had sensed such power and wisdom within her since she'd entered the room, and the centuries of rulership were etched into her eyes. There was no doubt in her mind that she stood before a being vastly beyond her comprehension as a mere mortal.

The Goddess of the Sun grimaced, and for a moment Sappho feared that she had given offence. "Please don't do that," she said. "It took me a hundred years to stop them from worshipping me as one. I'm just a Princess of Equestria. No more, no less."

"But—But you wield the power of Apollo himself. You are Apollo!" The blasphemous words slipped out before Sappho could reign them in, realization washing over her like an icy deluge. "I am not worthy to stand in your presence." And yet, she couldn't leave, either. That would be an insult most grave.

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through this again." Princess Celestia sighed. "You'll see in time that I am nothing like those gods you worship. Certainly, I don't carry the Sun around on a chariot." She giggled softly. "Though I admit that would be good exercise."

As Sappho stood stock-still in shock at a Goddess behaving so casually, she saw a door at the back of the throne room glow with a dark blue light.

"Ah, just in time," Princess Celestia said, her head tilting to the side. "This ought to be amusing, at the very least. There is someone else who would be interested to speak with you, Sappho."

Sappho had no time to speculate on the meaning of those words as, a moment later, the door opened, and Sappho's heart skipped a beat as her breath caught in her throat.

Stars. An endless tapestry of twinkling lights against the night sky flowed around the mare who stepped into the room. She was the same height as Princess Celestia, with a similar build, but other than that they were, well, as different as the night was to the day.

Dark blue fur instead of white. A slouching gait instead of a graceful stride. A grumpy expression of her face instead of a serene mask. And of course, the symbol of a crescent moon on her flank instead of a sun.

If Princess Celestia was Apollo, then this mare had to be Artemis.

And yet, none of the legends had ever spoken of the beauty of the Moon Goddess. Sappho thought this a great shame.

"Sister, I do not appreciate being summoned to your court like one of our subjects." Her voice, too, was an exercise in contrast with her sister's, low and husky and hiding none of her feelings.

"Sorry, Luna, but I thought you'd be interested in meeting our newest guest." Princess Celestia gestured towards Sappho. "Luna, this is Sappho of Lesbos." Luna's eyes widened as her gaze turned towards her. "Sappho of Lesbos, may I introduce you to Princess Luna, co-ruler of Equestria and my sister. She is the one who raised the Moon as I lowered the Sun."

Sappho was already on her knees, so all she could do was bow her head towards Princess Luna. "I am honoured to be in your presence, Princess Luna."

"Oh Harmony, not this again." Some force grasped Sappho's head and pulled it upwards, so that she was staring at Princess Luna and her glowing horn. "Stand up," she commanded. "My sister and I need only your respect, not your reverence."

She then turned to Princess Celestia, ignoring Sappho. "So, how long have you been hiding this human from me? And how did this one end up in our kingdom?"

Princess Celestia rolled her eyes, an altogether far-too-human gesture. "She dropped in on the morning court session and knocked herself out by landing on her head. Tender Heart cared for her, and she only now regained consciousness. She shall be staying here as a guest until we determine how to send her home."

"And you made this decision without consulting me?" The air in the room grew denser as Princess Luna glared at Princess Celestia, the weight of the heavens pressing down on the room.

"I had assumed that you would be in agreement with me," Princess Celestia replied casually. "If not, you can always choose not to support my decision."

"One day, you shall try my patience too far," Princess Luna growled.

"Luna, can we not do this in front of our guest?" Princess Celestia turned to face Sappho. "It is not seemly."

"Very well, Sister." Luna turned to Sappho. "After all, I would much rather learn about our new visitor. It has been nearly two hundred years since the last human appeared in our realm, and time flows differently between realms. Tell me, Sappho of Lesbos, have you heard of Bellerophon of Corinth? I believe his father was the king of Corinth."

If Sappho hadn't been terrified of offending the two very tense Princesses, she might have laughed. "I have heard tales of him," she said. "But he lived far longer than two hundred years ago. One of his grandsons was present at the fall of Ilium, many hundreds of years ago."

"Such is the nature of Time," Luna said. "And yet, even after so long, your people remember him? We do not know how he returned to your world, but he must have performed some great deeds in the aftermath."

"Well, umm, he..." Sappho stammered, unable to think of a way to explain the stories of his exploits without risking offence.

"Speak up, Sappho of Lesbos," Princess Luna snapped. "I am eager to know what Bellerophon was remembered for."

"He bridled Pegasus!" Sappho blurted out under the stern gaze of the Lunar Princess. She slammed a hand over her mouth as she realized what she had just said to the two very equine Princesses. Staring at both Princesses in abject terror, she prepared to be struck down in righteous anger.

Instead, Princess Luna's eyes widened, and then she let out the most wonderful laugh Sappho had ever heard. It was throaty and full and came right from the belly, an unabashed expression of humour and appreciation. "Oh, that is too rich!" she gasped out between laughs. Swaying to one side, she slapped a hoof upon Princess Celestia's barrel. "I told you she was sweet on him!"

"Yes, yes," Princess Celestia replied dryly, though a small smile showed on her face as well. She turned to face Sappho. "When he was here, Bellerophon became friends with a pegasus mare, a guard named Silver Sword. The two of them vanished mysteriously while exploring the Badlands together, and we've mourned her loss ever since."

Sappho flinched as a hoof was laid on her shoulder, warm to the touch despite the metal horseshoe covering it. "I thank you for bringing me this glad tiding of her survival. Perhaps you can tell me more of their stories?"

"I would be honoured." It was going to be unpleasant informing them of Bellerophon's untimely demise. Though, now that she knew that Pegasus hailed from this realm, their attempts to climb Mount Olympus took on a whole new meaning.

"Yes, I too would love to hear those stories." Princess Luna said. "Speaking of the Badlands, I have received some troubling news from the Realm of Dreams, Sister, which we must discuss." The earlier mirth was gone, replaced by a gravity befitting that of a ruler and a Goddess.

"Very well." Princess Celestia stepped back from Sappho. "Sappho of Lesbos, my assistant outside will show you to your room. Is there any special request you have?"

Sappho took a moment to think about it. "If I may be so bold," she said, feeling more comfortable speaking to these two Goddesses than she had when she'd first entered the throne room. "I am a poet in my homeland, and if papyrus and ink are not too valuable here, I would very much like to indulge in my craft."

"That will be no trouble," Princess Celestia. "In fact, should you compose something you are particularly proud of, I would very much like to hear it."

"As would I," Princess Luna added. "The arts have always been my domain."

"Thank you," Sappho said.

"Now then, I fear we truly must bid you good night." Princess Celestia stepped over towards her sister. "Welcome to Equestria, Sappho of Lesbos. Please try to enjoy your time here while we find a way to return you to your home. After all, opportunity lurks around every corner, if only you open your mind and heart to it."

With that clear dismissal, Sappho said one final word of thanks to both Princesses before leaving the throne room. As promised, Princess Celestia's assistant, Time Keeper, was waiting for her. After determining that she could subsist off of fruits and grains (but not hay or grass), along with confirming a few other details about how humans lived, he showed her to her room in the East Wing of the castle.

It was a modest chamber, a little smaller than her own room in her home, but it had all the comforts she was accustomed to and, by some unknown sorcery, a quill and several scrolls were already waiting for her.

She thanked Time Keeper and, as soon as he left her, collapsed gratefully onto the bed.

After the day she'd just had, Sappho expected Morpheus to carry her away to the Realm of Dreams immediately, but her mind couldn't stop racing with all the revelations she'd had forced on her today.

This place wasn't Mount Olympus, but it was hard not to think of it as such. In just a few hours, Sappho had borne witness to supernatural feats beyond mortal comprehension being performed as if it were nothing. She slept at the top of a mountain that dwarfed anything she'd ever seen before, in a land populated by creatures that existed only in stories.

Perhaps this was where the legendary heroes had found the monsters that they'd slain. It seemed that Bellerophon had found Pegasus here, after all.

Of course, none of this compared to meeting two Goddesses in the flesh. Princess Celestia was a humbling presence to stand before and, as with all gods, Sappho knew she could have struck her down without effort. And yet, Sappho sensed a benevolence within her, a kindness and determination to help her subjects that made Sappho much more at ease with her than she would have been with Apollo.

And then there was Princess Luna.

For a being that held dominion over the Moon and ruled a nation, she had little of the regality of her sister. She was powerful and beautiful and her presence was undeniable, but she also exuded a raw passion that was thrilling and terrifying. Sappho's mind flashed through all the stories of Artemis and her Hunt, and she could so easily picture the Equine Princess hunting the Aloadae in the dead of night.

Try as she might, she could not banish the memories of the Princess' supple frame, the way her curves melded into the darkness so tantalizingly. Every expression on her expressive face was etched into her mind, as was the majesty of that tapestry of stars that formed her ethereal mane. If she were an artist, she would want to commit her image to stone, or porcelain, or canvas, and she was sure that many had indeed done that and yet failed to capture her true splendour.

Her mind inflamed by her imagination, Sappho rolled out of bed and stumbled over towards the writing desk, her hands reaching for the quill.

It seemed that Artemis had answered her prayers after all, Sappho mused to herself as she unfurled one of the scrolls and dipped the quill into the pot of ink. The words came unbidden as Sappho wrote with passion for the first time in months...

Nay, but always and forever
Like the bending yellow grain,
Or quick water in a channel,
Is the heart of mare.

Comes the unseen breath in power
Like a great wind from the sea,
And we bow before her coming,
Though we know not why.