• Published 19th Nov 2018
  • 2,986 Views, 153 Comments

Love for all - Thestoryteller



This is the story of how those who have only known death and despair are able to love and forgive, all while a sinister plot gets in their way

  • ...
8
 153
 2,986

Chapter five

"I dare say brother of mine, look who's at our doorstep." Flim smiled at his brother.

"There's no doubt about it, oh brother of mine, our son Johnny has returned." Flam smiled back.

"Welcome home Johnny." They both declared.

Flim and Flam were twin unicorn stallions with pale yellow fur, red manes with white stripes, and green eyes. They wore straw hats and white business suits with blue stripes and black bow ties. The difference between the two was that Flim had a red mustache that was similar to the Pringles logo mustache, Flam didn't have one.

"Nice to see you guys as well." Johnny said, entering the house.

The walkway lead into the kitchen, where the dining table was clean and tidy. The kitchen had the basic necessities; a stove, an oven, a sink, a countertop, cabinets, and drawers. There was food being made, a pie baking in the oven, and caramel boiling which was in preparation for making caramel apples.

"Pardon the mess, Johnny my boy." Flim said, picking up some of the mess.

"We were...getting ready for a meal." Flam said, smiling a little too hard.

"Really..." Johnny said incredulously. "It wouldn't just so happen to be that you're having guests?"

Both Flam and Flim stumbled for a moment, caught off guard by Johnny's claim.

"Wh-whatever do you mean, Johnny my boy?" Flam asked, beads of sweat starting to form on his forehead.

*Knock, knock, knock*

The two brothers jolted at the sound of the door knocking. The two shared a worried look at each other and whispered amongst themselves.

"I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's her." Johnny assumed.

The Flim Flam brothers held their heads low in shame.

"Sorry for not being honest, Johnny my boy." Flim apologized.

"We didn't want you to deal with this." Flam explained.

Johnny approached the door, despite the two brothers begging him not too. He took hold of the doorknob and opened the door. Standing in front of him was an Earth Pony mare with an orange coat, blonde mane under a brown cowboy hat, emerald green eyes, and some white freckles along the bridge of her nose.

"About dang time ya varmints." The mare spoke with a southern accent. "What took you too so-" The mare cut herself off when she realized who she was speaking too.

"And a good afternoon to you too, Applejack." Johnny said calmly, closing the door behind him. "Anything I can do for ya?"

"I...uh..." Applejack stuttered, completely caught off guard. She cleared her throat and resumed her composure. "I'm here to discuss something with Flim and Flam."

"They're busy at the moment." Johnny stated. "So why don't you tell me?"

"Uh...I'd prefer it if-"

"I insist." Johnny took a step forward, drawing closer to Applejack. "Walk and talk with me." Johnny said, making his way down the trail through the apple orchard, Applejack following him. "So what do you want to discuss."

Applejack was hesitant at first, but she responded nonetheless. "It's about the recent increase in Vampire Fruit Bats, and it just so happens that my families orchard is being plagued by these critters while yours is untouched."

Johnny stopped and turned to face Applejack. "Just what are you insinuating?"

Applejack didn't mince words, she came out and said exactly what she thought. "I think Flim and Flam released those bats on my farm."

Johnny sighed. "Look, I know that Flim and Flam and the Apple Family have their history, but you have to let this go. They've changed, their lying days are over."

What Johnny was referring to was the past when Flim and Flam were notorious scammers and liars. They went into the apple business and the two were always in competition.

"I'm sorry Johnny, but I can't believe it. A leopard can't change its spots." Applejack stated.

"Not unless you paint over it." Was Johnny's response. "Tell you what, why don't we settle this the old fashioned way, with a contest."

Applejack narrowed her eyes. "What'da have in mind, partner?"

"Hay-bail toss, pony that can throw the hay-bail the farthest wins." Johnny said, stating his terms, "If I win, you drop the accusation and leave Flim and Flam alone."

"And if I win, you fork over supplies to compensate for the damage done to my orchard." Applejack said.

"Deal." Johnny said and the two shook on it.

They both walked over to the barn where hay was stored and the two grabbed a hay-bail. They made sure that they were both equal in weight before the challenge officially began. A rope was tied around both hay-bails, Applejack took the rope in her teeth and she spun around a few times before tossing the hay-bail. It soared in the air for a minute before landing about a mile away. Applejack gave Johnny a smug look, knowing that she had won. Unfortunately for her, this was not the case for when Johnny took ahold of the rope he threw it farther than Applejack's, about five miles away. Applejack signed in defeat, knowing she had been bested. Johnny extended a hoof and Applejack shook it.

"Good game." Johnny congratulated. Then, out of nowhere, there was a flash of green flame and a scroll appeared in front of Johnny. He unrolled the scroll and read it.

"What's that?" Applejack asked.

Johnny crumpled up the letter and tossed it away over his shoulder. "It's nothing, just some annoying family business." Johnny said, when suddenly an idea came across his mind. "Say, Applejack, how's about another wager?"


Night had passed and Johnny decided to spend the night at Flim and Flam's house. Now it was morning and, after saying his goodbyes, Johnny was back at the castle, standing in front of Fancy's door. He raised his hoof to knock but paused for a moment, considering the consequences of his absence. Then he tossed aside that thought and knocked on the door, he waited a minute before the door opened to reveal Fancy Pants dressed in his pajamas. When he saw Johnny he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"There you are!" Fancy exclaimed, using his magic to drag Johnny into his room. "Do you have any idea the nightmare you have caused me, little brother?!"

Fancy had bags under his eyes, an indication that he hadn't gotten enough sleep last night, and his deprivation of sleep was the cause for his agitated tone. Of course, Johnny being Johnny, he had something on his mind that he needed Fancy to answer. Johnny opened his mouth to speak but was silenced when Fancy shoved a couple of papers at Johnny.

"What's this?" Johnny asked as he started to read the papers.

"King Discord has tasked us with planning an activity for one of the royals today, I've spent all night trying to figure out who I should go with." Fancy stated, holding up the three pieces of paper which belonged to the two royals that requested to meet with Fancy. They were Fluer De Lis, Ember, and Gilda.

Johnny took a look at his papers to see who had chosen him, he had only gotten one request and it was from Gilda. Johnny thought for a moment to try and remember who that was, he then remembered that it was the griffon. At first Johnny didn't have any interest in attending the event but then he realized that he could use this to his advantage. "Say, Fancy, what should I do for a date?" He asked, pretending that the question pertained to the event.

Fancy gave a tired sigh, "Can't you see I'm far too busy with my own problems at the moment?"

Johnny rolled his eyes, knowing all too well that his brother's intelligence would be useless in matters that involved the heart. He walked up to Fancy and took his papers, Fancy protested but Johnny ignored him. "Go with Ember, take her up to the volcanic spa." Johnny stated.

Fancy blinked a couple times in bewilderment before speaking, "Now hold on, why Ember?"

"One, you and Fluer are an accident just waiting to happen, and two, griffons aren't exactly your type. Therefore, by process of elimination, you should go with Ember." Johnny answered, giving Fancy back his papers. "Take Spike with ya, it'd be nice if he could relate with some other dragons."

"Speaking of which, she is a dragon." Fancy stated matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, and so is Spike and we live with him everyday." Johnny retorted.

Fancy opened to protest but all that came out was a defeated sigh, he was too tired to argue. "Fine."

"Great, now can you help me with some dating advice?" Johnny asked.

"Like what?" Fancy asked. "From what you just said it sounds like you don't need any advice."

"I don't need advice on how to get a date, I just need advice on what to do during one." Johnny explained.

Fancy raised a brow. "Very well, what do you want to know?"

"Mainly...everything, really." Johnny answered.

Fancy gave another sigh as he pulled up a chair, knowing that this was gonna be a very long talk.


As the morning became noon, some of the dates had already begun. For starters, the one date between Cheese Sandwich and Yona had gone underway. Cheese knew all too well that Yaks loved to stomp things more than anything, so he had the perfect activity in mind.

"YONA SMASH!!!" Yona yelled as she jumped high into the air and slammed down onto the purple mush within a large wooden barrel that used to be Joking Berries; a fruit only grown in the kingdom of Chaosaville that when eaten had the tendency to make the consumer giggle, or even burst out laughing.

"CHEESE SANDWHICH SMASH!!!" Cheese Sandwich cried out as he too jumped high into the air before crashing down onto the purple mush of Joking Berries in a wooden barrel.

Cheese Sandwich had planned that the two make Joking Berry pies for the whole castle as an activity. Yona was more than happy to participate, especially if it involved smashing stuff. The two continued to smash the Joking Berries until there was nothing left but a purple paste. Once their main ingredient was ready, they brought the wooden barrels to the outdoor kitchen. The outdoor kitchen sat on a light brown stone base with the countertops of the kitchen made of a black marble with white impurities of quartz in random parts of the counter ranging from big to small. There was four ovens that was made out of slick stainless steel. Cheese and Yona put the barrels on the counter in the middle of the kitchen, Cheese then opened a drawer and pulled out several pie pans.

"Yona has never baked before." Yona stated.

"Well then todays the day that you learn how to cook a pie." Cheese smiled, adorned in a chefs apron and hat.

"YEAH!!!" Yona cheered, taking a pie pan, threw it to the ground, and proceeded to stomp on it.

"Yona, Yona, Yona," Cheese shook his head, "We don't stomp on the pie pans."

Yona paused, holding up a mauled pie pan sheet. "We don't smash?"

"Nope." Cheese smiled, then a disturbing thought occurred. "Say, Yona, off-topic question, but how old are you?"

"Yona is 16 years old." Yona answered. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh nothing, just needed to know if I should brace for the FBI or anything." Cheese Sandwich smiled.

Yona tilted her head quizzically, "What is a 'FBI'?" She asked.

"Friendly Buddies Incorporated." Cheese answered. "Now then, shall we start making a pie?”

Yona agreed vigorously. As the two were making the pie, Cheese decided to have some small talk with Yona. “Say, Yona, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but why did your kingdom send only you here?”

“Whadda ya mean?” Yona asked as she was flattening the dough.

“Well I mean,” Cheese Sandwich began, “every other kingdom sent four or three of their representatives but they only sent you. Why is that?”

Yona took a moment (a long one) in order to figure out how to respond. “Elders say that it is because Yona is the most fair.”

“Ah, gotcha.” Cheese Sandwich smiled. “Nonetheless, I hope you’re enjoying your stay here in Chaosville.” Yona shuffled in discomfort, like she needed to get something off her chest. “Or…not?” Cheese guessed.

“Yona is very happy that she is here in Chaosville, but…” Yona avoided eye contact with Cheese. “Yona shouldn’t say, it would ruin everything.”

Cheese Sandwich had a good idea at what Yona wanted to say but wanted to clarify before he did anything. He tapped his chin as he thought of what to do until an idea came to mind. “Tell ya what, let’s play a game.” Cheese suggested, and the suggestion of a game caught Yona’s interest. “If I can guess what’s making you uncomfortable you have to tell me, if I guess wrong three times then…” Cheese trailed off as he thought of an adequate punishment. “If you win…then I’ll give you the Sandwich recipe passed down from generation to generation of the best cheese cake you’ve ever eaten. Deal?”

“Deal.” Yona agreed, licking her lips as she thought about how tasty the cheese cake would taste.

“Let me see…” Cheese playfully guessed, “Is it…my chaotic personality?” Yona shook her head. “Phew, that’s a relief, for a minute there I thought you didn’t like me.” Yona giggled at Cheese’s little quip. “Now then, is it…the Joking Berry pies?” Yona shook her head once more. “Dang it, I was so sure that time.” Cheese Sandwich wondered. “Is it…the fact that you don’t want to marry someone you don’t know just yet and you don’t like the idea of being put in a situation where you have to choose someone you’ve never met and have to spend the rest of your life with that person, and if you say no then your kingdom will suffer and you don’t know how to handle the stress of the situation?” Cheese guessed. “Or something like that?”

Yona nodded slowly. “Yona didn’t want to do this but when everyone in my village heard that Yona was gonna save the kingdom they were all so happy. What choice did I have, and if I don’t end up marrying someone then…then-“

Cheese extended a hoof to Yona as she was about to cry, and Cheese Sandwich refused to let anyone be down when he’s around. “Yona, you don’t have to worry.” Cheese Sandwich smiled. “If I remember correctly, the only issue with the Yak Kingdom is your shortage of food due to northern climate, correct?” Yona nodded, and Cheese pulled open a drawer that was organized like a filing cabinet with countless files in it. Cheese skimmed across the files before landing on the one he was looking for. He pulled out the paper and gave it to Yona.

“What’s this?” Yona asked.

Cheese Sandwich smiled as he began to explain, “Chaosville is home to many extraordinary creatures and brilliant minds, and some of those brilliant minds have created a type of soil that will allow any plant to grow from it no matter the season.” Yona blinked in confusion, unable to understand exactly what Cheese was saying. “Hehe,” Cheese scratched his cheek in embarrassment, “what I mean is, even if you don’t marry me or my brothers or sister, Chaosville will give you this soil which will save your kingdom.”

When Yona put the pieces together she became overjoyed. “YAAAAAAAAY!!!” Yona cheered, hugging Cheese Sandwich. “Thank you so much!”

“It’s not a problem.” Cheese smiled. “It’s my job to make all creatures smile.”


In the gardens of the Castle were some of the most exotic and beautiful plants from all around the world. The garden had been split up into four areas, one for each season. Flowers, grass, trees, all families of every plant felt at home in the garden. Watching over the garden were several statues, each of a different creature or object. It was here in the Gardens that Sunset decided to have her date with the Griffon Prince, Vox. Sunset quickly learned however, that Vox wasn’t much of a talker. However, Sunset didn’t mind this, she preferred someone that was quiet and listening rather than someone who was constantly talking. The two had spent a majority of the date touring the Garden and observing the plants, but whenever a statue would come into view Vox would ask about it and Sunset would give an explanation like a teacher explaining vocabulary to a middle-schooler.

“What about this one?” Vox asked, looking at the statue of a Griffon with two pairs of wings instead of one and the head of a bat instead of a bird.

“That statue is of Brabbarb, a creature of equivalent exchange.” Sunset began to explain. “Some say that it would arrive at a village or town and just sit in the center for days or weeks until someone asked it for something. For the right price, the creature would willingly do any favor.”

“I see.” Vox said, the two continued down the path until coming to another statue. “And this one?” Vox asked, indicating to a statue of a frog-like creature that stood on its hind legs, held a spear, and wore tribal clothing.

“That is Ishnu, an amphibious trickster that would plague nearby cities and towns by causing all kinds of mischief. My father vanquished him before he became more of a nuisance.”

“Interesting story, let’s continue.” Vox said, pressing onward.

Sunset followed suit but stopped when two voices caught her ear. Two voices which were coming from the nearby tower where the library was. She recognized the male voice as her brother Flash, but didn’t know who the other voice, a female, belonged to. Nonetheless, the sound of the two together made Sunset grit her teeth in anger. Not wanting to hear any more, she stormed off in the same direction that Vox went.

Sunset caught up to Vox who was standing in front of yet another statue. This one was of what appeared to be an alicorn but it’s horn was broken and the flared wings were not of feathers but of bone. The body and block upon which it stood had several cracks in its structure, but despite the cracks the statue’s expression was of joy with a sinister look.

Vox opened his mouth to speak but Sunset beat him to it.

“I know, I know.” Sunset sighed. “This statue represents calamity. A fate which befalls those who are evil…and arrogant…and just plain stupid, and not to mention a jerkwad. Someone who would just toss away seven years of time spent together like it was nothing, like it never happened. Like you can just replace someone you know and care about with some…some…floozie that just showed up one day out of no where! What is it huh?! What, is she prettier than me?! Smarter than me?! She sure as tartarus isn’t better than me! NO ONE IS BETTER THAN ME! NO ONE!!”

Sunset was breathing heavily after that outburst, then her eyes went wide after realizing that she was still in the present company of a Griffon Prince. She recomposed herself and cleared her throat before turning to face, an expressionless, Vox.

“Hehe,” Sunset chuckled nervously, “umm…that’s not actually what the statue means.”

“It’s quite aright.” Vox said. “I may not know much but I am no stranger to unrequited love.”

“Oh!” Sunset exclaimed, quite surprised. “Um, anyways…the statute does represent calamity, it is a depiction of one who was once pure and righteous has now become corrupt and evil.”

“There is also a title that befits one who was once pure but has fallen.” Vox said as he kept walking forward. “He who will bring destruction and ruin; the Cataclysm.”

“I did not know you believed in superstitions.” Sunset stated with surprise.

“It has less to do with superstition and more to do with history. You know doubt know of how the Great War started do you not?” Vox asked.

“Yes, indeed I do.” Sunset said proudly, still surprised she was now having a conversation with Vox. “To put it simply, the Great War was a political dispute between rulers of nations and kingdoms that believed the way others ruled wasn’t right.”

“You’re half right.” Vox said. “There was a leader of a kingdom that believed his way of ruling was the best way, the only way. So he tried to force his rule onto the other nations, and in doing so the other nations used the war as an excuse to fulfill their own goals.”

“Yet in the end, all sides ended up being left in poverty and ruin.” Sunset summed up.

“Yes.” Vox said. “One has to wonder wether or not this leader intended to lead every nation to ruin.”

“I doubt that.” Sunset scoffed. “The Queen or King would have to be mad to do something like that.”

“Yes.” Vox said, taking a glance back at the statue. “A mad king indeed.”