• Published 6th Nov 2018
  • 3,763 Views, 20 Comments

A Motherly Princess - TheWingman



Celestia is a mother to all of Equestria but neither is she one herself. However, a visit to an orphanage will soon change that.

  • ...
4
 20
 3,763

A Chance Encounter

Princess Celestia is a figure revered by many ponies throughout Equestria. She wasn’t just some monarch that watched over the land from a throne. Whenever time would permit it, she would go out and interact with her subjects. Anypony would delight in the opportunity to have even a friendly casual chat with their beloved monarch. She would even go out of her way to lend assistance to whatever anypony would be struggling with. For that, she was given the nickname of ‘Momlestia’, one spoken with the highest of reverence.

One day, as the sun shined brightly upon the city of Canterlot, an orphanage in the midtown area was throwing a fundraiser to aid in renovations. Celestia herself had opted to devote her spare time to aid in the efforts.


*Knock*
*Knock*
*Knock*

The door knocking caught the attention of the orphanage’s caretaker, Ms. Meadow. Busy with paperwork, she managed to pull her attention away for a moment. She opened the door to a sight that still surprised her. It was Celestia herself, flanked by two of her finest guards.

“Your highness!” Gasped Ms. Meadow as she took a bow. The elderly unicorn’s display drew an amused chuckle from the monarch before her.

“No need to bow before me.” Celestia sang. “It’s nice to be here.” Ms. Meadow stood up and shook the princess’s hoof.

“I do apologize about that. Anyways, It’s a pleasure to have you here, your highness.”

“The pleasure’s all mine.” Celestia replied as her gaze wandered around and noticed a small stack of papers in a nearby office. “I hope I didn’t interrupt what you were doing.”

“Oh, I was signing some paperwork. The event won’t be for another hour. So, go take a look around if you wish.”

Leaving the old mare to her work, Celestia and her escort wandered the halls of the orphan age. She sighed at the myriad of circumstances that would deprive a foal of loving parents. As much as she would want to personally intervene in such matters, she felt it would be best to stay out of such affairs, as much as she disliked it. While most were out at the playground, only a few foals remained inside, hanging out with one another.

As her gaze turned toward a room, her eyes caught the attention of one neon blue pegasus colt sitting upon the bed and reading a book. Her mind was beset by a bound of curiosity. Why would a colt not hangout with others? Was there something wrong? Celestia wanted to know. With a nod, she entered the room with her guards flanking the doorway, standing watch outside.

Approaching the young colt Celestia got a better look at the book. It was a storybook about the royal guards, accompanied by pictures depicting their valor. Celestia couldn’t help but hum in amusement. She knew very well the colt has dreams, dreams of being in the guard.

“Hmmm, that’s an interesting book you have there.” Celestia spoke, revealing her presence to the colt. He was at first surprised at her approach; He clearly knew who she was. Eventually, he collected himself enough to speak.

“It’s my favorite book.” He said. “Every night before bed, I love to read it.”

“I certainly see that, Mr…”

“A-Azure Glide.” He finished. Celestia was surprised by his near-total calmness. Her curiosity only grew.

“Well, Azure,” She started. “Why is this your favorite book?” With those words, Azure left the bed, picking up a broom from the wall. He held it in the same manner a guard would carry his spear.

“I want to be a guard, just like in the book.” Though she knew the answer beforehand, she was nonetheless intrigued by Azure’s confidence, even as he did drill and ceremony with the pretend weapon in his hooves. Such a display, she found it heartwarming. He clearly held his dreams and aspirations to heart but she could detect an underlying sadness in his expressions. As he finished with his routine, Azure sat with Celestia again with a subtle frown.

“Is there something troubling you, Azure?” Asked Celestia. If one took a close look, his face spelled disappointment. Throughout her thousands of years of life, it was one of the many faces she became familiar with, She also noticed that he was a little older than the foals living there. With a sigh, Azure began to explain.

“All of my friends have found families. I’ve not been adopted yet and I see them leave with a loving mommy and daddy. I don’t know why nopony wants me but I’ll get adopted… eventually.”

Celestia felt shocked at the young colt’s statement. While she felt slight sadness over Azure’s circumstances, she was amazed over how he handled it. Yet, she wondered why nopony chose to adopt him.

“It’s incredible that one so young as yourself is handling such a thing so well.” Celestia muttered as she pulled Azure in for a hug. “One thing I’ve learned in life is that you shouldn’t give up hope. Greener pastures will come eventually. Just keep a chin up always wear a smile no matter what.”

Breaking the hug, Azure wore a smile, one that made Celestia smirk as well. As much as she wanted to sit and chat with the colt, she had other affairs to see to. Trotting away, she wished the young colt well. Soon, it’ll be time for the events to begin.

The event was a simple gathering and socialization affair. Before they began in proper, Celestia gave a speech about commending the orphanage’s efforts of giving less fortunate foals a place to stay. It was semi-short but enough to drive the importance of the fundraiser’s goals. As it ended, a thunderous round of applause was had. As she would often do, Celestia stayed a while longer as the event died down. Some foals were adopted while the rest said goodbye to their friends.


Ms. Meadow sighed as she finished the last of her paperwork. The fundraiser was a success and the bits needed for the renovations were made. She felt appreciation for not only Celestia but for those who helped out, no matter how big or small. With another knock on her door, she opened it and it was Celestia again.

“Your highness, I would like to thank you for helping out with things today.” She said, “The fundraiser was a massive success.”

“Again, the pleasure is all mine.” Chuckled Celestia, “You work quite hard for one your age.”

“Well, this calibre of work is normal for what I do. If anyone here is a hard worker, it’s you because of your duties.”

Humming with amusement, Celestia brought over a tea kettle, pouring a cup for the weary caretaker. Taking a sip herself, Celestia’s thoughts drifted towards Meadow’s occupation and how she was doing a great service for Canterlot, helping out the displaced foals robbed of their parents or other reasons. For her, giving them a place to stay and be safe was a great pleasure for Ms. Meadow.

Strolling to a nearby window, Celestia observed all the foals in the auditorium. Some were leaving with loving families while others stayed behind, no doubt saddened over having to say goodbye to their friends. But, the sight of Azure Glide still caught her eyes. He walked around with a broom, sweeping the floors clean. Though his face spelled disappointment, there was a small tinge of hope beneath it all.

“Ms. Meadow,” Celestia spoke up, “What of that one colt, Azure Glide?” Ms. Meadow’s ears perked up over the mentioning of the name. She was well familiar with him as he was among the eldest of the children at the orphanage but he was also a great helper.

“Oh, him?” She responded. “Yes, I remember when he was left on the steps one winter night. Never found out what happened to his real parents; What a shame. There were times that I had to console him about not getting adopted but he’s usually a cheerful colt. Why, he’s also been of great help to me, putting the little ones to sleep and helping with cleaning. I would guess more than anything that it’s to distract himself. Why?”

The last question rang through the princess’s ears. Why would she ask about a colt and him specifically? It was no secret that she treats all ponies in Equestria as if they were her own. For one colt like Azure, she was impressed by how he deals with his situation. But still, Celestia knew that it could only go so far.

“Oh, I was just curious. I actually had a chance to talk to him earlier.” A subtle smirk glowed over the princess’s face, one that Ms. Meadow became familiar with over her lifetime. She seen such a face come and go as she ran the orphanage. She knew what Celestia meant and intended, recognizing it with a nod.

“Yes, I understand.”


Azure Glide walked amongst the cribs of the foal room, ensuring the more smaller occupants were fast asleep. With a shush, he shut the lights off and left the room, taking care he didn’t make the smallest of noise. Turning around, his eyes locked onto the kind face of Ms. Meadow.

“Hello Azure,” She greeted, “how were they?”

“Sound asleep, ma’am.” He replied, “It was no trouble at all.”

“Hmmm, well, what could I have done without your helping hooves? I thank you for all you’ve done for me but there’s one last thing I need of you.”

“What is it that you need?”

“To say goodbye,” The moment those words left her lips, Azure Glide froze in place. But, the next few would have an even greater impact.

“You’re going to a new home.”

For a while, Azure sat there in disbelief with his hooves shaking. He couldn’t believe it. He was finally going to have a loving mother and father. His heart fluttered with excitement, eager to meet his new parents.

“OH MY GOSH!” He shouted as he jumped up and down with unbound glee. “I HAVE A NEW MOMMY AND DADDY! YIPEE!” Ms. Meadow cracked a smile at his display of joy. His worry and sadness had been lifted.

“Okay now, let’s go to your bunk and gather your belongings. They’ll be waiting for you there.”

Ms. Meadow and Azure trotted down the halls towards his room. Once they opened the door, Azure was caught off guard by what he saw before him, the same alabaster alicorn with a flowing mane of four colors. She was the same mare he talked to and displayed the dreams he held dear.

“Why hello there,” Spoke Celestia with a smile and hooves outstretched. “my son.” Azure’s eyes began to water up with tears. But, they were not tears of sadness. They were the product of joy. It was hard to believe that the princess of the sun herself would take him in as her son. But, here she was, hooves outstretched, welcoming him. With his heart overloaded with joy, Azure flew into Celestia’s hooves, wrapping all fours around her barrel and nuzzling his tear soaked face into her chest fluff. He was so happy that at long last, he found a place to belong.

“Shhh,” Celestia shushed, rubbing his back and rocking him back and forth to calm him. “It’s alright, my dear son. You don’t have to feel sad anymore. You’re going home.” In the midst of her calming of her adoptive son, the two guards trotted in, bowing before their ruler. “Sleepless, Mango, return to the castle and prepare a room for the young one.” Nodding in acknowledgement, the two pegasi guards flew off to carry out their charge, leaving the three ponies to themselves. With his emotions calmed and his mind fully processing what happened, Azure looked upon the face of his new mother with happiness. Climbing upon her back, Azure Glide took one last look around the place he called home for most of his life before flying off to greener pastures.


The night soon fell and the adoptive prince was tucked neatly into bed. Celestia looked on at her newly adopted son with happiness. She always wanted to be a mother but never was able to have one of her own.

“Hey mommy,” Spoke the tired Azure, “can you tell me a bedtime story?”

‘Mommy’, It was a word that Celestia has never heard that referred to her. Yet nonetheless, it was a title she was proud to hold. She turned toward Azure with a motherly smile on her face.

“I know a great many stories, deary.” She responded. “Which one do like to hear.”

“The ones about heroes.” It took her a bit to think of a heroic tale to read to him. But, there was one she knew all too well, the stories about the greatest heroes of Equestria.

“Alright, this is a tale of the Pillars of Equestria.”

Author's Note:

Well, you probably weren't expecting a sequel to that weaponized cuteness of a one shot I've written. I'm glad to have surprised you all. I put in a lot more effort to the story this time around and I hope that you'll like it.

Comments ( 20 )

:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry: THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. I'M CRYING SO HARD RIGHT NOW. :raritydespair: CAN I GET A SEQUEL OF THIS PLEASE??? THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN! I ADORE THIS. THANK YOU FOR BRIGHTENING UP MY DAY!

9277034
If I were, It would have to go the Shakespearian route in regards to endings. Anyways, I'm glad you liked it.

Daaawwww Cute~~

what a great story. please make a sequel.

9277839
I will but it's a little ways away. If I do, I'll be shooting for an emotional yet tragic end.

A slice of life story that not only caught my attention and held it? You sir have done a vary rare thing, for that you get a like. I hope to see what you can do with a sequel.

Awwwww
How hearthwarming

Absolutely adorable, my heart can't take this kinda thing.

9603113
It was my second crack at making a Momlestia story. I'm glad it turned out right.

9618416
I saw that. It... brought me to tears to hear it read so beautifully.

9714302
Thank you for the review. I mostly wrote that story for the hell of it but eventually decided to write more about the character which more about him will be revealed over time. Anyways, thank you for your honesty.

Comment posted by Sparrow9642 deleted Aug 5th, 2019

Here's my take on this beautiful piece!

https://youtu.be/ft7AoO59ZEI

oh yeah! Forgot moon did this too xD

When you said ‘weaponized cuteness’, you weren't lying.

That was a cute one-shot story. I loved it. I hope you write another sequel. I would love to see how Azure Glide adapts to being a son to Celestia, how and if he achieves his dream of being a Royal Guard, or maybe he ends up working at the orphanage as it's new matron after Ms. Meadow passes on and because of her love and care of him coupled with Celestia's love and care of him. Makes him want to thank both his caregivers for the life they gave him. So he becomes the new matron to help other orphans find new and loving families. I think that would be a cute follow up sequel to this story.

“I know a great many stories, deary.” She responded. “Which one do you like to hear.”

Definitely a nice story and it made my eyes water up.

Admittedly, it would have been more fun to have a few extra scenes with the characters — but for a fluff-shot, this was nice fun.

Login or register to comment