• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 8,983 Views, 443 Comments

The Third Wheel - GaPJaxie



Twilight and Shining Armor have a little sister named Light Step. Everypony expects so much of her.

  • ...
58
 443
 8,983

Fall Semester

Light Step lay on her bed. Her room was quite nice: it was airy and freshly painted, the furniture was modern and comfortable, and she had a skylight. The air smelled faintly of lavender, and there were even servants who came in once a day to change the sheets and bring fresh towels. A few of them were unicorns, but everypony knew that was just so the school couldn’t be accused of keeping “earth pony servants.” And they left mints.

Every student agreed the Twilight Sparkle Dormitory was the best on campus. The housing lottery to live in it had odds of hundreds to one. The only reliable way to get in was if a student’s parents made a donation to the school.

The statue of Twilight was in the courtyard outside her window. She could see it.

She didn’t have a single bedroom, though that was by her request. Her roommate was a changeling named Double Time. Double Time was the first changeling to attend the Canterlot School of the Arts, and Light thought it would be good to help her adjust. When she requested Double as a roommate, she assumed that this poor, hungry, oppressed creature would need a friend to introduce it to free society.

It turned out that Double had been living in pony society for years as an infiltrator, and so was already quite well adjusted. She also wasn’t from King Thorax’s hive, as Light had assumed, but was part of Queen Amaryllis’s hive in the north. Practically speaking, that made no difference. Both groups of changelings were reformed.

But it did mean that Double Time once had the psychic, vicarious joy of sleeping with Shining Armor.

“Good morning!” Double Time called as she pushed open the door, though it was well past eleven. She was in her natural changeling form, and she was filthy. The hairs on her legs were sticky, someone had drawn a smiley face on her carapice, and a number of lipstick kisses adorned her delicate faerie wings. “How are you doing?”

“Great,” Light answered, without looking up from the window. “I whored it up last night and slept with like, thirty strangers.”

“Wow, you too?” Double Time lifted one of her hooves to Light for a hoof bump. Her tone was so cheerful it became a weapon—a concentrated beam of positive energy. “Twin-sies!” she actually sang the word.

When Light ignored her, Double Time snorted and lowered her hoof. She collected her bathroom kit, pausing when she noticed her wing sponge was missing.

“Can I go with you to the studio after you’re done cleaning up?” Light asked, her voice still soft.

“What makes you think I’m going to the studio?”

“You always paint landscapes after a crazy night out.” Light lay so still, a twitch of her tail was the only motion to show her body wasn’t paralyzed. Her tone was muted, and her words were slow and quiet. “And your landscapes are really good. I like watching you paint them.”

“Professor Easel says he wants me to work on my figures more.”

“So? Forget him.” She paused, then went on. “He’s a racist ass who thinks just because you’re a changeling you’ll have a gift for figures and form.”

“Ooh, good advice, Professor. So tell me, with that statue right there, you must have accidentally looked out the window at a few points. Right?” Double Time paused a moment for emphasis, then concluded. “Have you ever, like, seen your sister’s face at the exact moment you start touching yourself?”

Light Step’s ears folded back against her head. Her dull expression turned into a hot glare, and she shot up in bed. “What the hell?” she shouted, her tone suddenly sharp.

“Look, Light?” Double Time raised a hoof. “There’s three things everypony on campus knows about you. First is that you’re Twilight’s little sister, because she’s famous enough you’re famous by proxy. Second is that you’re an immensely talented painter, because everypony who sees your work falls in love with it.” Double Time kissed her hoof like a chef sampling a fine sauce. “Mwah, beautiful.”

Double Time held that pose for a moment, letting it linger. Then she finished: “The third thing everypony knows about you is that you’re an asshole.” Her horn glowed and she yanked a sponge out from under Light’s bed. It was covered with paint. “And you used my special imported wing sponge to clean your palettes again.”

She threw the sponge in Light’s face, picked up the rest of her bathroom kit, and left.

Light didn’t react. She flinched when the sponge hit her, but she let it fall to the floor. She stared at it, and remained in that pose until Double Time returned twenty minutes later, damp but considerably cleaner.

“I envy you. You know that?” Light Step said before the door had even shut. Her voice was soft and scratchy. “I hate my life. I hate my life and I hate myself and I wish I could turn into somepony else and walk away.”

“Won’t help.” Double Time shrugged, dropping her bathroom kit under her bed and rummaging around for her things. “In the old days, I changed my background all the time: what I looked like, who my parents were, where I come from. I was looking for just the right combination that would make ponies love me. So I could be happy. But no matter who I was, or how ponies treated me, all I could think about was the gnawing hunger in my gut. I was starving. I was always starving, and no matter how much love I got it was never enough.”

Double Time found her saddlebag and her paints, transforming into a unicorn pony in a flash before strapping the saddlebag around her midsection. It protected her fragile insect wings. “Because the problem wasn’t them. It was me. And the problem isn’t them, it’s you. You’ve got a chip in your shoulder the size of Canterlot Mountain. You understand? You have a raging, toxic inferiority complex and stealing somepony else’s life won’t change that.”

“Well maybe I wish I could just have one day when nopony recognizes me as Twilight and Shining’s kid sister.” Light’s tone turned bitter, and she glared at the floor. “Is that so much to ask for?”

“You know what?” Double Time snapped. “Fine.”

Her horn glowed, there was a bright green flash, and where Light Step had been sitting a moment ago, there instead sat a bright red unicorn stallion.

“What—” Light Step shouted, only to abruptly fall silent at the sound of her—his—deeper voice. His eyes went wide, and he slowly lifted one of his forehooves to stare at it. Seconds passed in silence before he abruptly jerked his head down to look at his torso. Then, with some trepidation, he lifted one leg to examine his own undercarriage and confirm his gender.

“Ta-da!” Double Time proclaimed. “The spell will wear off on its own after twenty-four hours. If you get tired of it before then, just say, ‘Kizzlefub’ and it will end immediately. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to work on my figures.”

“No, Double Time. Wait…” Light feebly lifted a hoof.

“Ta!” Double Time shouted. She left anyway.


Light Step walked away from his life.

He stood up, looked around his dorm room, and left. Then he left the building, and campus, and wandered into the streets of Canterlot.

His hooves took him where they wished. It didn’t take long before he was completely lost, and he never bothered trying to fix that. One road carried him for three full hours, until it turned into a dirt trail leading to a rock quarry. He’d long since left the good part of town behind, with the university and the coffee shops and the dress boutiques. The buildings around him were made of brick instead of marble. He picked a road at random, and started walking again.

When his sister’s mentor lowered the sun, he found that many of the streets around him had no street lightning. The buildings were abandoned or dim, and at times he was plunged into total darkness. Eventually, firelight drew him to a bazaar, were many petty merchants were hawking their wares to the impoverished.

He didn’t have any money, but he drew some drawings with a piece of chalk he found on the sidewalk, and a crowd gathered to look. A few of them threw coins at him, and he was able to buy a sandwich.

By ten, the last of the merchants were packing up. The bazaar closed, and one by one, the fire lights went out. Light Step stayed, having found a bench he did not want to part with. He was again enveloped in darkness. He lowered his head to the hardwood, and went to sleep, ignoring his shivers in the cold.

He was awoken by a stallion screaming.

Light’s eyes shot open, and his head jerked up. Instinct identified the source of the noise before his conscious mind had even finished waking up. There was a pony close by, no more than thirty meters, and they were in great pain. Motion in the darkness pulled Light’s head to the right. There were a number of faint lights there, clustered around the source of the shrieking.

When Light’s eyes cleared, he realized they were glowing unicorn horns. They were gathered around a pony thrashing on the ground.

If he’d had time to think, he would have ran. But the pony on the ground let out another plaintive wail, and once again, instinct took action before Light was fully ready. His own horn glowed in the darkness, and he grabbed the first debris he could find: an old metal trash can one of the merchants left behind. He rushed towards the figures, letting out a yell as much terrified as it was courageous.

He crossed the distance in six long strides. One of the figures turned to confront him. With their horn glowing, only their face could be seen: a unicorn wearing a black bandanna. Light swung hard, and brought the trashcan down across their face.

It connected with a loud snap that did not sound much at all like metal breaking. A handful of white objects flew through the dim night, glinting in the horn light.

“Hey! You-” One of the other figures rushed forward, but Light swung again. This time he swung low, but the attack still connected with the unicorn’s body. There was a meaty thump, and the light from his own flew to the side as he did.

“Run for it!” a third voice shouted. Then all the horns except Light Step’s went out, and he could no longer see his attackers. The sound of hoofbeats seemed to come from all directions, their flight into the darkness echoing off the brickwork buildings.

The stallion was still writhing in the ground, though his screaming had reduced to whimpers. With effort, Light Step brightened his horn until he could see a little better. His natural blue aura glinted off golden armor -- a member of the Royal Guard lay on the ground curled into the fetal position. He was surrounded by cans of spray paint, presumably dropped by the attackers.

His entire face was stained bright pink. From the look of things, Light guessed they’d emptied most of a can directly into his eyes.

“Here. Here,” he said, kneeling by the guard’s side. “Don’t worry, you’ll be okay. I know a spell to clean up paint. I’m an artist.” His horn glowed and blue light shone down on the stallion’s face. “Just hold still.”

It took only a few seconds. The paint that had dried inside his eyelids turned back to liquid, then turned from liquid paint to water. He sweated it, wept it, and it ran off him in rivers. His whimpering stopped, and his vision cleared. “Wha…?”

“Yeah,” Light said breathlessly. “That stuff’s pretty nasty. You’re really supposed to wear eye protection when you use it.”

The guard froze, looking into Light’s eyes in the dim light. Then he laughed. “Thank Celestia.” His chuckles wouldn’t stop, and it was with some effort that he staggered to his hooves. “I thought I was a goner!”

“You almost were.” Light smiled, rising to his hooves as well. “I thought guard were always supposed to travel in pairs.”

“I’m not on patrol.” He reached up to pull off his helmet. Light’s spell had only affected his face, and so the helmet’s edge was still covered in spray paint. He stared at it, illuminating his own horn to see more clearly. “I know some ponies who live here and they were worried. Thought I’d come down and make sure they were okay.”

Light couldn’t help himself. “Well they’re probably fine.”

“Yeah yeah.” The guard chuckled again and put his helmet back on. “Seriously, I can’t thank you enough. What’s your name?”

“I’m uh…” Light Step looked down, staring at his own hooves. “Uh…” He glanced around them, and his eyes caught an extinguished fire pit. “Burner.”

“Master of deception, you are.” The guard’s sarcasm bit.

“Pride of Equestrian Army you are,” Light shot back. A touch of bitterness entered his tone. “If you need combat training, I know a changeling. Maybe she could give you a few pointers.”

“I’d love to,” the guard replied, keeping his tone level and refusing to rise to the bait. “It’s actually not allowed.”

“Wait.” Light frowned. “Seriously? I was just yanking your chain.”

“Yeah, seriously. No going and getting combat training from foreign powers or non-governmental organizations.” He shrugged. “It implies our training is inadequate, you know? Makes the officers look bad.”

“Oh.” After a long pause, Light scuffed a hoof on the pavement. “That sucks.”

“I just got my flank kicked by four street punks. It really sucks.”

A lull came over the conversation. With their horns lit, their eyes had adjusted to the illumination, and neither pony could see a thing around them. The hoofsteps of the punks had long since faded, and silence ruled the street.

“Listen, ‘Burner.’ Or whatever your name is,” the guard said, “I owe you one. Really. My name’s Pile Drive. If you ever need something, you know. Come look me up.”

“Yeah,” Light said reflexively. Then he stopped caught himself, and his pose suddenly changed. He lifted his ears and looked more alert. “Actually, no. If it’s okay, I want to cash in that favor right now.”

“To do…” Pile Drive frowned, “what?”

Light picked up the spray paint cans the fleeing thugs had left scattered on the pavement. A few teeth were scattered amongst them. “Watch my back while I graffiti that big wall over there?”

The two locked eyes. Pile Drive’s jaw worked from side to side. He considered his armor, and considered the darkness and silence around them. “Yeah,” he finally said. “Okay.”

They stood there for hours. Light Step’s horn glowed bright as he manipulated eight cans at once, pulling them up and down the surface of the brick. At first, Pile Drive watched Light with a wary eye. But as the night went on, his gaze shifted to the wall, and he watched the art.

When Twilight’s mentor raised the sun, it peeked over the horizon and cast it’s early morning glow over the streets. Pile Drive looked around them, and nudged Light’s shoulder. “Ponies will be up any minute. We gotta go.”

“Yeah. I’m about out of paint, so. I guess this is as done as this thing is getting.” Light dropped the last can. “Thanks.”

“No, thank you, this was…” Pile Drive trailed off, then cleared his throat. “I like it.”

“Really?”

“It’s mean as Chrysalis herself, but, yeah. I like it. Says a lot of things I’ve been wanting to say.” He turned away. “Now get out of here before someone sees us and I have to arrest you.”

Light step nodded, turned away, and ran off into the city. He barely made it back to the dorms by the twenty-four-hour mark, and abruptly transformed back into a mare in the middle of a thankfully empty university corridor.

Then she crawled into her bed and stared out the window. Double Time never even asked her where she’d been all night.


Nopony at the art school saw her art. The students never wandered into the bad part of town, and The Canterlot Times wouldn’t dare run a printing of it. But there were plenty of amateur photographers who took their own snapshots before the Royal Guard painted over the wall.

She’d covered the entire west face of the old Canterlot Canning Company factory with a single, massive mural. With elegant lines, innovative use of color, and a bold impressionist style, it depicted Shining Armor, the Captain of the Royal Guard. His head was held high, his pose was regal, and his helmet was tucked in under one leg.

His face was also covered in makeup, just the way Cadence liked it.

He made a beautiful painted whore.