• ...
16
 9
 655

The loss of a friend ~ Chapter 1

Fluttershy died.

Rainbow dash still couldn't believe it as she sat in the graveyard attending her dear friend's funeral. It’s always hard to lose somepony you care about, Rainbow knew this, but it seemed especially hard when the pony lost was one that you had expected to spend your entire life with.

She had such a kind heart, despite her shy nature she made plenty of friends. The royal tailor, the local farmer, the castle's event organizer, the royal assistant and even the fourth princess herself all showed up to mourn the pegasus' passing.

They still didn't know how she died. And what hurt Rainbow the most is that it could have been murder and the culprit would likely get of scott free due to the fact the the guards and investigators haven't found a single lead.

Fluttershy and Rainbow dash were as close as sisters. They'd grown up together and had been each other's only friend for the longest time. They both applied for castle jobs at the same time and cheered with glee when they found out they'd both been hired. Fluttershy as a herbalist and Rainbow Dash as a maid.

Rainbow wasn't the dainty type. She wasn't the ideal maid. But she knew how to clean well enough and could serve hot tea when requested. She secretly thought that she only got in because the royals wanted more diversity in their staff, if you looked at all staff in the castle's grounds you would definitely notice that unicorns were favored.

However Rainbow hardly cared. Though she wouldn't be flying as much as she'd liked, she knew she wasn't cut out to be a guard like she dreamed as a filly and was willing to settle. Besides, she didn't care what her job was so long as it allowed her to see Fluttershy as often as possible.

Rainbow looked around to see the other attendants. Fluttershy's brother sat on a distant seat, he normally flirted with Rainbow every time he saw her but now sat staring at the ground, numb to the world around him. Next to him sat his parents, weeping over their daughter's death. Several more staff members, a few guards, Fluttershy’s fellow herbalists and all her friends from the gardens of both gardener kind and animal kind.

A coldness struck through her as she looked back on the guards and saw a calm pony. He was noticeably strong, icy lavender eyes staring straight forward, dark under eye bags over a dark gray coat, his mane was black and the only bright thing about him was the few purple and blue streaks through his hair and his cutie mark of course. Though he currently wore the same dark robe that he had on most of the time. His name came into her mind and almost made Rainbow gag. Spirit Wind.

He was a unicorn 'guard' but don't get confused. He didn't guard anything. Everypony on castle grounds knew him as the royal's assassin.

He was cruel, foul, and disgusting, he was a manipulative jackass, he was the pony in charge of the investigation into Fluttershy's death and he was her coltfriend. Rainbow hated him. Not just because he was successful where she was not. Rainbow knew and accepted that Fluttershy would never be into mares and that was fine but why did she have to end up with this cold prick? The way he serenaded her, the way he made her laugh, the way he disgusted Rainbow with every inch of his being.

How dare he sit calmly at her funeral, making an expression as if nothing happened. He killed her and Rainbow intended to prove it.

The service ended after a while. Basically everypony had given a speech, except for those who were to occupied crying over it. Rainbow let out a few tears as well, but her emotions were stuck on anger.

She sighed as she trotted. She was given the day off due to her loss but she didn’t feel like going to her room yet so instead she loitered in the gardens. She, like many others, lived on the castle’s grounds, living in the same area as the other maids and butlers. Fluttershy lived in the herbalist’s cottage, there were only a few ponies who lived there. Fluttershy’s two higher ups and the apprentice.

Rainbow took a little tour towards the cottage. A sinking feeling within her came when she realised that she wouldn’t have an excuse to just go there whenever she pleased, but instead only when she was sent for medicine or she herself felt ill. She turned around, unable to think of a reason to go inside, practically tripping on a little yellow filly.

“Oh Miss Dash.” Her accent showed through. The poor girl’s ears seemed to be glued down as she hunched over a particular plant.

“Hi Apple bloom.” Apple bloom was the herbalist apprentice. She was the youngest in a family of apple farmers but showed the most interest in herbs and Fluttershy was the one who insisted that she joined the rest of the herbalists at the castle.

Rainbow sat next to her, not wanting to disturb her work but wanting to console her. “I take it you didn’t get the day off.” Rainbow tried to lighten the mood.

“No, Zecora said Ah should go home with mah family.” She picked a few small white flowers and wrapped them in a clean rag before placing them in her saddle bag as to keep them separated from the rest of the herbs. “But Ah wanted to work. Ah figured if Ah went home the only thing Ah could do is apple buckin’ an’ Ah’m not that good at it yet. Ah’d be more help pickin’ lilies for Zecora.” The filly stated as she got up to go to another plant.

Rainbow followed her, “That’s nice but you shouldn’t overwork yourself.”

The filly paused, glancing up to Rainbow before looking down at her hooves, “It’s easier t’ work.” Apple bloom spoke, then after adjusting her white bow and trotting onward, she continued her work.

Rainbow found herself at a loss of words, she tried to keep Apple bloom some company, offering to carry herbs or pick something for her. She eventually had to give up and opted to just find something else to do. She said her goodbyes to Apple bloom and started trotting away

“Wait! Miss Dash..” She turned to see the filly looking after her.

“Yes?”

“Uhm..” She pawed the ground before looking back up to the pegasus, “Thank you for trying to cheer me up, I git that you’re probably more upset than anypony else so.. If you ever want to come back to the cottage just t’ talk it’d be nice..”

Rainbow smirked, trotting back to Apple bloom to pat her on the head and ruffle her mane a bit, “Thanks kid… I’ll make sure to visit.” She smiled.

This was the first time Rainbow saw the foal smiled since Fluttershy’s death. It was heartwarming. Until Apple bloom came back to her senses. “Ah’d best git back t’ work, see ya later Miss Dash.” She said, as she turned and headed for the cottage.

Rainbow waited until Apple bloom disappeared inside the cottage before turning herself around and finally choosing to trott towards her room. She adjusted her wings, something she did out of habit despite the fact that she wasn’t wearing her mildly uncomfortable uniform today. Slowing placing one hoof down she started her journey back to her room.

It felt unnatural everytime she went back to her room without Fluttershy. Fluttershy usually accompanied her to her room and then proceeded to speak of her work day or talk about an animal she’d met in the village. Sometimes she would insist on having a tea party, though it was rare because she knew it wasn’t Rainbow Dash’s favorite thing. Right now, Rainbow would give anything for that tea party.

On her way she came across the royal tailor, Rarity, in the hallway. Right in the area between the maids’ and butler’s quarters and the tailoring room. As prim and proper unicorn, she always had her head held high, but not now. Now it drooped. She straightened herself up when she notice the pegasus, “Oh, Rainbow Dash,” she spoke, a strong canterlot accent resonated in her voice, “My apologies, I didn’t see you there, darling.”

“That’s alright,” Rainbow used a hoof to emphasize the point, “How you holding up?”

Rarity showed a weak smile, “I suppose I should be asking you that.” she said, “I’m just as fine as I could be. I’ve a dress to finish but it.. It just isn’t working out today.” Her eyes drifted down to the floor as her ears dropped, within a moment she shook her head and looked back to Rainbow, the polite smile returning, “Like I was saying, how are you doing, dear?”

Rainbow paused, deciding to use Rarity’s words rather than her own, “I’m as fine as I can be.” she smiled, weaker than Rarity’s smile, and it didn’t last as long, “I’m heading to my room for the night, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Rarity nodded, “Yes, see you soon, darling, rest well.”

Rainbow nodded as she passed, “You as well.”

She didn’t have to travel far before she eventually reached the hallway containing her residence. It was long and it did take Rainbow at least a minute to trot all the way to her door. A journey that felt longer without her friend by her side. She sighed. If only she could see her one more time. If only she could fulfill one last request or make her smile once more. Rainbow paused before she opened her door. She’d do anything to see her friend again, if only she wasn’t six feet under ground.

She heard the door creak open as she gripped and pushed on the handle. A cool chill ran down the pegasus’s back as she looked up and froze in place.

“Hello Rainbow Dash.”

She’d give anything to see her friends again. How ironic it is that she didn’t have to give anything at all.

Author's Note:

Helloooo allllll
I hope you all enjoyed my first chapter, the chapters are quite short but they will come quickly so I hope you don't mind. I know I have other stories to work on but I'm easily distracted.

I need to address something, I don't know what tags to put this in. It has a gore tag but there is no way I'm writing proper gore because I'd like to not hyperventilate thank you very much. And I gave it a violence tag because.. you know... the whole killing thing. But I'm not sure on how much violence this story will actually have.

My point is, don't read this if you're expecting a grimdark or creepypasta. It's actually very light hearted despite the heavy topics.

Please like and comment and follow me for blog updates on stories and if you find a typo feel free to tell me about it either in the comments or in a pm
that's it b see ya~