• Published 4th Nov 2018
  • 923 Views, 47 Comments

Chaotic Cute - JazzyWaffles



Hiya! I'm Screwball. I just started existing, and I'm sorta new at stuff, so be nice! Oh, and also I can do magic, but everyone says I'm not supposed to. Wait... who am I talking to? And what's this "fourth wall" thing that just popped into my brain?

  • ...
3
 47
 923

Chapter 3 - Ward of the State (Whatever That Means)

Sitting in a chair in the mayor's waiting room, my legs dangling off the front as I slumped back, I blew a boredom raspberry. Is that what those are called? Where you're bored, and you just sorta... 'pbbbttt'? If not, that's what they should be called. Or maybe a rasp-bored-y. I like that one.

Twilight had gone in to talk to the mayor forever ago (so, about three minutes ago), and I'd been left out here so they could do boring grown-up paperwork stuff. Not that I was interested. Glancing around, I spotted a mirror on the far wall, and... something about it looked off. Hopping off the chair, I trotted up to the mirror, examining it closely. What was so weird about that reflection? The room looked the same. I had the same hair, fur, shape...

"Wait, what?" I stared at myself in disbelief as I realized what was so messed up about the mirror-me.

It was my eyes. They weren't swirly anymore.

When did my eyes get normal? Did the big shiny death wall do that? That... probably explained why Aurora reacted to my eyes, but Twilight, Spike, and the mayor didn't. Actually, thinking about it, that wasn't the only change. Ever since I woke up, I'd felt... low on fuel, for lack of a better phrase. Not really empty, but close. It was like having a super long neck, but then suddenly it became a short one. Except, not? It felt more like... I dunno, like a big part of me that was there before was mostly gone. What was it? What was almost gone?

"Hiya!"

"Yipe!" I jumped backward and landed on my back in surprise, only to see a pink mare with frizzy hair smiling down at me. "Uh... hi?"

"I'm Pinkie Pie!"

"S-Screwball." I flipped over and stood up.

"Well, S-Screwball, you are invited to your official 'Welcome to Ponyville' party!" She hoofed over a little invitation with my name on it. Wait... how did she have time to make that if she just learned my name? Before I could ask, the pink pony pronked past all the paintings and professional plaques toward the door.

Twilight stuck her head out of the mayor's office door. "Hey Pinkie! Got a minute?"

"Yuppers!" Somehow, she was already back in front of Twilight. Did she have powers like me?

Twilight hoofed her a paper. "Could you write down when each of these ponies is free and then let them know when we'll be there with Screwball?"

"Aye-aye, Cap'n!" Pinkie pulled a pen out of her mane (sticking her hoof in farther than should have been possible), quickly wrote a few times down, and then hoofed it back to Twilight. "All done!"

"Thanks, Pinkie." As Pinkie left, Twilight turned to me. "You can come in now, we're done with the boring part of things."

"Okay." I cantered over, looking back at Pinkie as she left. There was something I wanted to ask her, but I forgot what it was. The inside of the mayor's office was... well, an office. Desk and everything. Not sure if there's a point in describing it, really. Though I did notice a peacefully dozing Spike on Twilight's back.

The mayor, a tannish mare with a very, very faded pink mane (which for all intents and purposes what a light grey), smiled down at me. "Alright, Screwball. After a thorough review of the records and a few letters with the princess, it seems you don't have any record of birth in the Equestrian system. As such, I've decided to take your claim of no family at face value." She cleared her throat. "Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to business."

I sang in response. "To defeat... the huns~!" I giggled. I don't know where these little thoughts and outbursts come from, or why I find them funny, but they are. Maybe it's because I was made from chaos?

She paused, a bit confused, then composed herself and took the paper from Twilight. "I... don't think so, no." She adjusted her glasses. "We have four potential foster parents here in Ponyville, since we're a rather small town, and cases like this don't come up often. There are also a few from nearby towns, but we'll be sticking with Ponyville for now. You with me so far?"

I nodded. "So what, are we gonna do some fancy mayor magic to find out which one I should go to, or is there a timeshare system, or what?" I honestly didn't know how foster parenting worked. That's the step before adoption, right?

After another pause, and a giggle from the mayor, Twilight answered this time. "Er... no. You're going to be spending a little bit of time today with each of them, and then you'll make the choice of who you want to be your foster parent. Then, if it works out, and you both agree on it, you'll come back here and fill out some adoption papers to make the whole thing official." Oh! So I was right about it being the step before adoption. Nice job, think pan!

"Oh! So it's like... a trial period for the trial period."

Twilight snorted. "I... snerk... I suppose that's one way to look at it. Of course, if you don't like any of the choices, we can find someone from a nearby town instead."

I beamed. "Awesome! Sooooo... when do we start?" I noticed the mayor scribbling something on the piece of paper Twilight had given her.

"We start," the mayor answered, "right about now, actually. Pinkie should have alerted everyone by now, so I don't see the reason we can't head out to the first home on the list."

"Er... 'we'?" I glanced over at Twilight. "You're not coming?"

She shook her head. "Sorry, Screwball. I've got to get sleeping beauty here home. Poor drake spent all night last night with me helping to set up wards on the Elements." She gestured to the baby dragon on her back, who was out like a light. "Also, I still have a lot of work to do today."

"O-oh..." Well, that sucked! I was really starting to enjoy her company, even if I'd only known her for like twenty minutes or something.

She gave me a comforting smile. "Don't be like that. I'll be sure to drop by for your party."

I gasped. "How'd you know about the party!?" Was she psychic? Was Pinkie psychic? Was I psychic???

Okay so that last one didn't make sense, but still.

She giggled. "I opened the door and saw Pinkie finishing up talking to you. What else could it be?" She winked and pointed at my hoof. "Also, you've been awkwardly holding the invitation for the past couple of minutes."

I looked down. Sure enough, there was the invitation. "Ohhh... right."

Twilight leaned down and gave me a little hug, somehow keeping Spike balanced on her back the whole time. "See you later, Screwball."

I hugged her back, maybe a little too tightly. "See you, Twilight."

The hug broke, and Twilight walked to the door, waving back at mayor mare as she left. Before long, it was just me and the mayor. Clearing her throat and smiling, she cantered over with the list, now on a clipboard, tucked under her foreleg. "I can carry the invitation on my clipboard if you want somewhere to put that."

I gave a sigh of relief. "Oh thank the stars, that got super awkward once I noticed it." I hoofed over the invitation to a giggle from the mayor.

"Alright then. Come along, and we'll go to the first pony on the list." We trotted out of her office.

"Who's the first pony on the list?" The mayor held out the list for me to see the first name, with the times "11:15 - 12:15" marked under it. "Ohhh... okay!"

The two of us walked for a few more minutes before the obvious question finally hit me.

"Wait, who's Rainbow Dash?"

Author's Note:

The first arc technically encompasses the first ~10 chapters, but this chapter is where it truly begins. THE FOSTER PARENT ARC IS A GO! :pinkiecrazy: (okay so technically this arc is called "The Choice", but shhhh)

If you ever wanna show me some love, dump a couple bucks on my Ko-Fi!

UPDATE FROM THE FUTURE: The number of foster homes has changed.

This Chapter's Character AMA:

TWILIGHT: Do you have any plans to look into Screwball's past?

Twilight nods. "To put it plainly? Research. And thanks to Screwball, I have a lead. Somepony named Aurora was mad at her before she vanished last year. If I can find Aurora, I can find out where she came from, and why she apparently has none of the legal documents attached to her that a normal filly would."

Twilight looks worried. "I don't know what would lead her to not have any records, but... my gut instinct says it's bad news. I just... I'm worried that I'll find something sinister, and I want to protect her. And... can you really blame me for wanting to protect her? She seems so precious and innocent. It's practically instinctual..."

Comments ( 23 )

You've got a pretty good story here so far! I admit that I haven't read any Screwball fics at all, and I don't know much about conventional depictions of her, so this will be unfamiliar ground for me. Still, everything has to have a start, right?

From what I can tell right now, you're taking an optimistic approach with this character. She's not horrified (yet) about how utterly strange her existence and being is; in a sense, you've portrayed her as chaos distilled into pony form. The prologue established that.

Speaking of the prologue: You did well with characterizing her in her first minutes of life. Nonchalant, happy-go-lucky—again, distilled chaos with no idea how normal works. Some of the stuff here is a bit hard to wrap my head around (like how she could consciously describe herself as un-being before), but that's probably because none of us just popped into reality with a fully conscious mind like her.

You made an interesting choice to time skip her almost a year ahead. It would've been neat to see her in the immediate aftermath of Discord's defeat instead of having her so far removed from the event, but then again, you did time this right after Keep Calm and Flutter On and, in this fic, soon before the anniversary of Return of Harmony's events, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. Perhaps you have something more creative up your sleeves here.

And...a foster parent arc, huh? I guess there'll be some shenanigans. I find it intriguing that Rainbow Dash is the first foster parent, though not just because of the experience she's had as Scootaloo's idol/sister-figure—she's the last one to become un-Discorded. Not sure if that'll come into play, but it's at least a coincidence.

On to how it's executed: I believe nailing the point of view of distilled chaos is difficult. On one hand, you need to do the usual things first-person P.O.V.'s have to do—don't use I's too much, don't slip on what the P.O.V. knows vs. what the writer knows (which you already know most likely). On the other, you have to keep up that sense of randomness which, judging by how you're characterizing Screwball, should come up once every twice an often unless she's focused. So far, you've done a good job on balancing randomness and flow, although, at the risk of sounding nit-picky, the random thoughts do hinder flow at times, like here:

Twilight somehow managed to look even more concerned. "Well... either way, we'll need to do something about your family. If you don't have one, we'll have to find one for you."

Woah, a whole family? I'd never had one of those before. I could only hope they'd be as cool as having a dragon for a brother. Ooh, maybe I'd get adopted by a dragon! "Do you think I'd get adopted by a dragon?"

The italicized section adds in a lot of space between what's supposedly round-the-corner question and answer. Or, at least, that's what I think—personally, I don't have much experience with first-person writing, so take that with a grain of salt.

Finally, while I generally don't approve of extra-narrative narrative in the author's notes, I believe what you're doing here is appropriate. The random nature of Screwball and her origin, the sense that she might mesh well with random Pinkie, and that Screwball is related to fourth-wall aware (if not breaking) Discord...you could do The Fourth Wall Will not Protect You-level stuff if you could with those notes and AMAs if that's what you're going for.

Overall, pretty good! Looking forward to what you got next! :pinkiesmile:

9285811
Eep! Actual praise/critique! :pinkiegasp:

You've got a pretty good story here so far! I admit that I haven't read any Screwball fics at all, and I don't know much about conventional depictions of her, so this will be unfamiliar ground for me. Still, everything has to have a start, right?

I've yet to read the most popular Screwball fics (the Daughter of Discord stuff), but in general, she seems to be depicted as either a pre-existing pony warped by chaos magic (which pony varies by story), Discord's daughter who is mega sad about him being turned to stone, "big mega lolrandom #badwriting" in pony form, or... well, whatever DoD's Screwball is depicted as. However, I've never found a Screwball I'm a huge fan of, so I got an itch to write this! ...and now I have 3 fics planned. Oops.

From what I can tell right now, you're taking an optimistic approach with this character. She's not horrified (yet) about how utterly strange her existence and being is; in a sense, you've portrayed her as chaos distilled into pony form. The prologue established that.

Thank you! The prologue was probably the hardest to write thus far because I wanted to get her character just right, so I'm glad it came across well!

like how she could consciously describe herself as un-being before

media.giphy.com/media/aWxbEGCqkiZFK/giphy.gif

You made an interesting choice to time skip her almost a year ahead. It would've been neat to see her in the immediate aftermath of Discord's defeat instead of having her so far removed from the event, but then again, you did time this right after Keep Calm and Flutter On and, in this fic, soon before the anniversary of Return of Harmony's events, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. Perhaps you have something more creative up your sleeves here.

I was initially planning on implementing the time skip much later in the story (between arc 2: the school and arc 3: the birthday), but decided to move the time skip to chapter 1 to generate a bit more intrigue and not feel like I skipped content between the 2nd and 3rd arc.

I find it intriguing that Rainbow Dash is the first foster parent

It's gonna come up next chapter, so it's barely a spoiler, but if you wanna know why RD is on the list... Rainbow Dash made the same mistaken assumption as the fandom, assuming Scoots was an orphan and signing up as a foster parent without first asking Scootaloo if she had guardians already. She never got around to removing herself from the list.

As for Rainbow coming last... it seems to be a weird detail about her and AJ. AJ is always first in anything, RD is always last, with the other 3 (or 4) in between in some order. Their Nightmare Moon trials, the order the CMC hear their cutie mark stories in, the order they're turned by Discord, the order they're fixed by Twilight, the order Twilight and "Cadance" visit them before the wedding (though to be fair Rainbow and Fluttershy tied for last since they were off doing their own thing)...

<Chaos interrupting story flow>

Yeah, that's probably the most difficult part with first-person where I'm in Screwy's head. She sorta just goes all over the place with her imagination, and there isn't always a good place to put it. In the example you gave, I tried to bring it back around by having her voice her most recent thought, thus continuing the conversation in a more natural way than simply cutting back and forth between 'Screwy has thoughts on the brain' and 'things are happening'. Whenever I find the transition to be too odd, I try to rewrite it so that it steers itself back into the conversation. Hopefully I get better as I keep writing for this story.

Finally, while I generally don't approve of extra-narrative narrative in the author's notes, I believe what you're doing here is appropriate. The random nature of Screwball and her origin, the sense that she might mesh well with random Pinkie, and that Screwball is related to fourth-wall aware (if not breaking) Discord...you could do The Fourth Wall Will not Protect You-level stuff if you could with those notes and AMAs if that's what you're going for.

The AN stuff is semi-necessary in a fic told entirely from Screwy's POV. For example, she doesn't get to see Twilight's thoughts, so we don't know why Twilight acts the way she does sometimes--often because Screwy herself doesn't know. It would be weird of me to just have events randomly happen to Screwball because of stuff we never saw that happened off-screen, so I've been trying to set things up ahead of time with the AMA sections. I'd initially hoped a reader would ask questions and I'd have characters answer in a way that furthered the extra-peripheral plot, but so far I've not really gotten reader questions (which is fair: I have something like 20-30 filler questions that will either further the story or provide background details).

Also, didn't know if you caught it, but Screwball is already 4th-wall-ish to some degree! In Chapter 2, she asks Twilight what a Discord is, remembering not knowing the answer to that at some point. However, she'd never heard the name Discord in the story at that point: it was from the AMA she was asked at the end of Chapter 1! She may not have full awareness of the fourth wall, but as a practical newborn, she is quite the informational sponge, even if she has to sponge that information through dimensions. :raritywink:

Overall, pretty good! Looking forward to what you got next! :pinkiesmile:

Thanks!! :twilightblush:

I'm on a short break so I can catch up with 3 of my final projects for 3 different programming courses, so the next 5-7 chapters (the rest of this arc) will be a little late. And once chapter 8 is up, I'm holding a strawpoll for who should be Screwy's new mom/dad/moms. Audience participation~!

9289761

However, I've never found a Screwball I'm a huge fan of, so I got an itch to write this!

If it doesn't exist, you make it exist, huh? It's actually a nice path to inspiration for writing.

Thank you! The prologue was probably the hardest to write thus far because I wanted to get her character just right, so I'm glad it came across well!

Especially so, considering that the prologue (or the first chapter or whatever) is the hook. You had the task of convincing us that this depiction of Screwball is an interesting take on her, and that she'll have an interesting time ahead of her. I think you did it quite well.

I was initially planning on implementing the time skip much later in the story (between arc 2: the school and arc 3: the birthday), but decided to move the time skip to chapter 1 to generate a bit more intrigue and not feel like I skipped content between the 2nd and 3rd arc.

I see. A good point, although if the arcs are quite long enough, you could still pull it off with a time skip later on. Have everyone established in Arc 1, have a conflict everyone thinks they'll be done with at the end of it, and then have a happily-ever-after during the time skip before Arc 2 kicks in.

As for Rainbow coming last... it seems to be a weird detail about her and AJ. AJ is always first in anything, RD is always last, with the other 3 (or 4) in between in some order.

I...haven't noticed that until now. Now that you pointed it out, it seems uncanny.

Yeah, that's probably the most difficult part with first-person where I'm in Screwy's head. She sorta just goes all over the place with her imagination, and there isn't always a good place to put it....Hopefully I get better as I keep writing for this story.

I think one way to do it is to make the chaotic tangents more numerous but a lot shorter. Like instead of her going off ten long tangents that could slug the pace down, have her go rapid-fire that keeps up with whatever conversation she's having. Take it with a grain of salt, though, since I've never done this kind of thing before.

The AN stuff is semi-necessary in a fic told entirely from Screwy's POV. For example, she doesn't get to see Twilight's thoughts, so we don't know why Twilight acts the way she does sometimes--often because Screwy herself doesn't know....

It's an...interesting thing you're doing, to say the least. But, it's a high-risk, high-reward sort of thing. If it's good, it'll be great and you'll have shades of House of Leaves quality in your story, which isn't a common thing to confer. However, if it's bad, it'll come off as amateurish and too tell-y than showy.

The thing about it is: Why not go all in in immersing the reader into Screwball's mind? The reader can at least deduce that Twilight's curiosity will lead to her asking questions and her kind-heartedness will tell her to bring the filly to Ponyville for further help. However, if we're just seeing it from Screwball's eyes, then Twilight may seem more mysterious—and that could bring in intrigue.

Now, don't change the direction of this story because of that. It's just, I want to see the Author's Notes thing go well, but I'm telling you the risk that you're going for here and what to watch out for.

And, one last thing: Be careful about telling information about future story threads this early. Even with just the arc names, I could try and connect the dots, and maybe my guess won't be so far off. And, because of the arc names, I can already bet that she'll most likely have a foster parent, form a foster family, go to school and probably meet the CMC who unwittingly started the whole Discord thing, and have a grand meeting with her "father" at her birthday and perhaps have some philosophical reflections about the nature of her life.

I could be wrong, but there are those smarter than me who could just guess from the info you've given in the comments and probably will feel less impacted by what's next because they feel like they're hitting close to what's actually in the story.

Also, didn't know if you caught it, but Screwball is already 4th-wall-ish to some degree!

I'm dim-witted, then. :derpytongue2:

Thanks!! :twilightblush:

You're welcome.

And, well...normally, I don't do audience participation things on fanfics, but why not?

Do you think Morse Code is easy or hard to learn?

9290850

I see. A good point, although if the arcs are quite long enough, you could still pull it off with a time skip later on. Have everyone established in Arc 1, have a conflict everyone thinks they'll be done with at the end of it, and then have a happily-ever-after during the time skip before Arc 2 kicks in.

In reality, what I'm calling "arcs" are closer to what some authors call "chapters". But I just... I can't write 10k words per chapter. I'd take 100 years to finish a fic, if I even got around to finishing the first chapter. :applejackconfused:

The reason I felt skipping between the second and third arcs was a bit weird is because I'd have to "tell not show" that a bunch of stuff happened off-screen for 11 months. Which... yeah, not ideal. :twilightsheepish:

I...haven't noticed that until now. Now that you pointed it out, it seems uncanny.

I know right??? Freaked me out a little once I noticed a pattern. I wonder if it's just a subconscious thing the writers do on accident?

Heck, now that I think about it, AJ was even the first character to get a focus episode (since episodes 1 to 3 are ensemble episodes with the whole cast). If 9.24 is an RD episode, I freaking swear. XD

I think one way to do it is to make the chaotic tangents more numerous but a lot shorter. Like instead of her going off ten long tangents that could slug the pace down, have her go rapid-fire that keeps up with whatever conversation she's having. Take it with a grain of salt, though, since I've never done this kind of thing before.

That was one route I was considering, yeah. Another route is having her externalize her thoughts more, which would let her internal scatterbrained-ness contribute more to the world around her.

It's an...interesting thing you're doing, to say the least. But, it's a high-risk, high-reward sort of thing.
[...]
It's just, I want to see the Author's Notes thing go well, but I'm telling you the risk that you're going for here and what to watch out for.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not making the ANs required or anything, I'm just trying to make them primarily optional, extra material that helps the reader see a little behind the scenes. Also, about 75% of them won't be super heavy on plot. Most of them will be more like the first chapter's question, but I wanted to get a couple of the big ones out of the way first so I could demonstrate Screwy's 4th wall minor awareness and help out any readers who wanted to see inside of Twilight's head.

<Story predictions and a warning>

Fair enough! I just feel like Screwy getting a parent and going to school, as well as having her first birthday, is already pretty set up in the story itself, so I feel comfortable giving that away in comments. As for your predictions... I won't say how right or wrong you are about the Discord or philosophy bits (since saying anything about the veracity of either prediction would give a lot away regardless of what I answer with, methinks).

But as for the CMC prediction... I feel comfortable giving this one away. The CMC are crusading for cutie marks, something Screwball already has! So her ending up hanging out with them is pretty slim considering that the CMC never really hang out with non-blank flanks prior to getting their marks (and even then, it's just business). I personally feel like "I'm a filly time to meet the CMC" is a bit over-done anyways. :derpytongue2:

And, well...normally, I don't do audience participation things on fanfics, but why not?

Do you think Morse Code is easy or hard to learn?

Have a preference on who answers the question?

9290886

In reality, what I'm calling "arcs" are closer to what some authors call "chapters".

Arcs don't have to be epicly long ventures. They could be short sets of chapters, which I guess is what you're aiming for.

The reason I felt skipping between the second and third arcs was a bit weird is because I'd have to "tell not show" that a bunch of stuff happened off-screen for 11 months. Which... yeah, not ideal. :twilightsheepish:

You can choose not to tell or show any of the skipped stuff...at least in the beginning of the subsequent arc. If it's just Screwball getting used to things or otherwise mundane happenstance, you don't have to mention it—at best, drop hints and snippets, but not the whole thing on us.

I know right??? Freaked me out a little once I noticed a pattern. I wonder if it's just a subconscious thing the writers do on accident?

I have a guess: Rainbow Dash is the lazy type while Applejack has a strong work ethic. It'd make sense, from this standpoint, to have Dash last and Applejack first.

That was one route I was considering, yeah. Another route is having her externalize her thoughts more, which would let her internal scatterbrained-ness contribute more to the world around her.

That's a good idea. However, going this route would put her in danger of being too much like Pinkie Pie, with her random gags and jokes on a good day. You gotta differentiate much more if you choose this path.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not making the ANs required or anything, I'm just trying to make them primarily optional, extra material that helps the reader see a little behind the scenes....I wanted to get a couple of the big ones out of the way first so I could demonstrate Screwy's 4th wall minor awareness and help out any readers who wanted to see inside of Twilight's head.

Sure! I'm OK with it since we're dealing with Screwball, chaos, and acceptable fourth wall-breaking.

Have a preference on who answers the question?

Not really. It's your ball. :rainbowdetermined2:

That was sweet. It's been a few months so I hope that this story continues.

9505677
It will! I've been dealing with irl stuff since November, but in the next month I should be able to write again without it being for money.

"Wait, who's Rainbow Dash?"

Wat? That irresponsible mare's name is on adoption list? What in tarnation is going on? :ajbemused:

9638119
That's probably a line I'll change before I do the next chapter. I'm currently reconsidering what ponies are on the list.

9638180
Why change? I think it will be interesting to see. A mare who usually be seen sleeping around is actually looking for an adoption sure to raise a few eye-brows. The background story on that part alone should be interesting in and off itself.

Not to mention that Mayor would realize quickly that the filly is an 'Earth Pony'... until she 'float' and follow Dash to her cloud house.

9638243
Again, I'm still in the process of reconsidering. RD may or may not be removed from the list.

Awww, this is indeed very cute. :twilightsmile:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say she's likely either ending up with Aurora's family, or staying at Fluttershy's with Discord. In any case, Discord might have an interesting reaction to her. Though I take it this is s3 / early s4 pre-Tirek Discord, so... he's not exactly a "responsible parent". :derpytongue2:

I mean... even less so than he already isn't. :derpyderp1:

Though I could see him pulling pranks with her. :scootangel:

...Oh, Pinkie Pie is a perfect candidate too of course. :pinkiegasp:

images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/b5e0a7fa-a208-4409-bbae-50edce44ee5a/d827kiw-9461f734-de17-4c4a-bf60-310838e6ca00.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2I1ZTBhN2ZhLWEyMDgtNDQwOS1iYmFlLTUwZWRjZTQ0ZWU1YVwvZDgyN2tpdy05NDYxZjczNC1kZTE3LTRjNGEtYmY2MC0zMTA4MzhlNmNhMDAucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.RXrpXNjhI9OMunuPo7QtfCVYFjNc4AuRW_CDqaEO3lY
images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/b5e0a7fa-a208-4409-bbae-50edce44ee5a/dag18dy-cb753925-d1c0-4921-9732-1dcf33f88a1b.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2I1ZTBhN2ZhLWEyMDgtNDQwOS1iYmFlLTUwZWRjZTQ0ZWU1YVwvZGFnMThkeS1jYjc1MzkyNS1kMWMwLTQ5MjEtOTczMi0xZGNmMzNmODhhMWIucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.sg5YLRzcGIDK7IWYTnVolBEDjldM6n8fgMfjwlI0dw4
images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/b5e0a7fa-a208-4409-bbae-50edce44ee5a/d8850ie-d0db1272-ff76-48b8-b6ef-aa7aaa119762.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2I1ZTBhN2ZhLWEyMDgtNDQwOS1iYmFlLTUwZWRjZTQ0ZWU1YVwvZDg4NTBpZS1kMGRiMTI3Mi1mZjc2LTQ4YjgtYjZlZi1hYTdhYWExMTk3NjIucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.nSAOvmX_eD8aBa_mgaSHo6zE--9gkJB23b1dzjvHK0M

[image sources: [1] [2] [3], all courtesy of HareTrinity. Oh hey, that rhymed! :pinkiehappy: ]


9638265
Rainbow Dash, hmmm. :trixieshiftleft:

Raises the question: "Why isn't she adopting Scootaloo?" Or... let me guess, that was her reason for getting herself on that list in the first place, but then she found out Scootaloo actually has parents. Awkward. :twilightsheepish:

If you want to take her off the list, you could incorporate that into the story, have Rainbow Dash be like "Oh, err, oh yeah... that list... eheh. uhm. yeaaaah." :rainbowderp:

Could still have a semi-awkward/comical scene with Dash trying to weasel her way out of the situation in some fashion, coming up with excuses, etc. "I... uh, have to go wash my, uh, clouds! Yeah, clouds. 'Cause... they're all gray. Need washing. Yeah." Only for Screwball to find her evermore frantic and ludicrous excuses interesting and offering to help. And then she actually gets Dash's clouds cleaned, dried, and polished to a shine, much to Dash's complete befuddlement. :pinkiecrazy:

Doubly hilarious if any chaotic act Screwball pulls happens whenever Dash isn't looking, so she's repeatedly confused about how Screwball accomplished anything. :rainbowhuh:

Like... Dash says something about "uhm, well, you can't fly, so you can't exactly get up to my cloud house, so..." Then turns around for a moment to, I dunno, talk to Mayor Mare... turns back around... and Screwball is gone. Well, gone up to her cloud house, that is. "Wha- but how did- whu-" :rainbowderp:

Of course Dash just flat out saying the truth isn't an option, she's trying not to hurt the "poor filly's feelings", so she's trying to get her to not pick her without saying "I don't actually want to adopt you". :derpytongue2:

Except all of Dash's failing attempts only make Screwball find Dash's comical confused reactions even more funny. :trollestia:

Question for screw ball: potatoes, vanilla, spinach, ice cream fritters?

So, two years later, you still doing this?

10014646
I want to. But life is hectic. Today is the first day in over 6 months that I've had time to sit and write. And, in about a week, I won't have time until June.

EDIT: I have big meaty fingers and typing this on mobile accidentally unpublished this chapter for a few minutes...

9803922
Your whole RD thing is sorta close to what I originally had planned a year ago. And you kinda hit it on the mark with why RD is on the list. She wanted to adopt Scootaloo and then after she already applied she found out about Scoot's aunts and parents being ponies that exist. She's sort of an ask questions later pony, haha! So yeah in terms of potential foster homes she won't end up with RD.

9290886

Heck, now that I think about it, AJ was even the first character to get a focus episode (since episodes 1 to 3 are ensemble episodes with the whole cast). If 9.24 is an RD episode, I freaking swear. XD

UPDATE ON MY 3-YEAR-OLD COMMENT!!!

While Rainbow Dash wasn't the last character IN GENERAL to get a focus episode, Season 9 Episode 21, "Daring Doubt", was the last episode to focus on any of the Mane Six (22 being CMC, 23 being CMC/Big Mac/etc, and 24-26 being ensemble)... and its focus was on Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. The pattern strikes again!!!

Also I'm in a better place physically and mentally, and am done with college. So uhhh update this year maybe?

Is this ever going to continue? I really like how you write Screwball. Also, I really want to see what Rainbow's reaction is going to be to Screwball. :rainbowderp: :trollestia:

11131250
Up through last year, I always ended up too busy to continue. Now I have the time and am physically in a better place, but every time I sit down to write I just can't get into the swing of things. I may write some other stuff to get warmed up before I come back to this story.

uis

How interesting

11578208
I keep intending to pick this story back up, but I just always have other things in my life I'd rather be doing. So... yeah, kind of.

11578386
Bummer. Nevertheless thanks for replying.

Login or register to comment