• Published 6th Nov 2018
  • 897 Views, 20 Comments

a Hearth's Warming Birthday - CrimsonRose97



Spike tries to get to the bottom why Rachel isn't celebrating Hearth's Warming

  • ...
7
 20
 897

ch. 3 -Edit

The elder stallion grunted at King’s arrogant introduction. “As always, it’s lovely to hear your...charming voice.” His accent was a bit posh and light. Which in fact surprised Spike ‘cause he always pictured the pony with an imitating voice to match his posture.

Brimstone walked over to the bar and sat down next Spike as the miniature pony slid him a glass of Cider while refilling Spike’s.

Spike just sat up when he walked over to him. The stallion looked at Spike before seeing the dragon putting a hand out to him. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Rachel told me alot about you.”

Brimstone snickered softly, looking at Spike before he grabbed the drake’s hand and shook it. “Likewise, Mr. Spike.” He cleared his throat before letting go of his hand and reached over and took his glass and drank it. “Now, since I have some holiday business to attend to, let’s get on with it, shall we?”

Spike blinked at that. Rachel did mention before that Professor Brimstone was the kind of pony that didn’t dally around and cut to the chase. What she failed to mention that he acted like he had some sort of stick up his flank.

“O-okay.” Spike said with a level of uncertainty before shaking his head. “I’m looking for Rachel. The twins, Ruby and Gemcity won’t tell me where she is, King here doesn’t know where she is-”

“I don’t ask, she don’t tell, don’t blame me.” King snorted. He waited until his wife and kids weren’t looking before grabbing one of the brandies underneath the bar, popped the top and gave it a big chug.

Brimstone scuffed, seeing the unicorn drinking. “I honestly have no idea why would she be working in this establishment with her many talents.” He muttered under his breath, assuming that it was Rachel he was talking about.

“Oh no,” King spat, putting the bottle down. “I am not having this conversation, Rach seems perfectly happy to be working for me.”

Spike rose a brow as the two got into a little spat. “Um?”

King sighed, seeing Spike confused. “Brimstone, as much as I would love to talk about the placement of the girl, the boy here is the reason why I called.”

“Right,” Brimstone grunted before looking at Spike. “Well?”

“Rachel, wondering where she is?” Spike asked. “Why didn’t she come to spend Hearth’s Warming with me? Those type of questions.”

The stallion narrowed his one eye at Spike. “She didn’t tell you, I see.”

“No pony has been telling shit.”

“Hmph,” Brimstone grunted before taking a drink of the cider. “Rachel’s always been the one to hold back information, especially around the holidays. It’s one of the reasons why I almost never allowed her to pass over to this world from the human world.”

“She told me that.” Spike said. “Sir, please tell me something? I love Rachel and if something’s up, I wanna be there for her.”

Brimstone studied Spike for a moment before sighing. The corners of his lips creaked as if he rarely smiled. It was very unsettling to Spike that he almost scooted away from him.

“First off,” said Brimstone, an arm resting on the bar, “Rachel loves the holiday, she just don’t celebrate it.”

“Why?” Spike asked confused.

Brimstone sighed then, “The reason she doesn’t celebrate Hearth’s Warming - or her human equivalent to that, is because she was born on that day.”

Spike straightened up, looking at the two unicorns. King was chuckling, taking another swig of brandy while Brimstone waited for a response.

“Her birthday is tomorrow?” Spike asked, as if he couldn’t believe it. Then again, the more he thought about it, it made sense. “She’s a Hearth’s Warming baby.” Spike almost felt like smiling ‘cause it’s one of the amazing days to be born in.

“Don’t smile just yet, my boy.” King said, looking at him. “You don’t know the whole story.”

“And you do?” Brimstone looked at the tiny unicorn.

“I do extensive background checks on all of the participents, thank you very much.” King scuffed at the tall stallion’s brash against him. “One on one interviews. One of them Rachel and I sat down and we talked about this.”

“Excuse me, but are you two brothers or related to each other one any way?” Spike asked, seeing the two squabble.

“Fuck no!” Both stallions said in unison.

“We both just want what’s best for Rachel.” King said.

“I want what’s best for the child, she was 15 when she crossed over. And spending late nights slaving over a crummy bar is a waste of her talents.” Brimstone grunted.

One thing Spike did remember from what Rachel told him that Brimstone does treat her as if she was his child as the years went on. They have gotten close enough to have that relationship.

“Hey! I allow her to sell her paintings over there and make a profit, you don't’ have that chip in her head ya-”

“King! Bed, now!” Marry called up from upstairs to the living area.

King annoyingly sighed and tossed a set of key to Spike. “Lock up when you two get done and put the keys in the plant pot outside.”

Spike nodded. He said goodnight to King before seeing the small unicorn walk up the stairs.

Brimstone shook his head, rubbing the temples of his head with his fingertip. “Gods help me.” He muttered before looking at Spike.

He sighed softly. “The reason this holiday upsets her is because it’s also her mother’s birthday. Due to the horrid living arrangement with her bastard father, they would celebrate their birthdays on midnight. When her mother died, she celebrated on her own alone and it makes her upset. She didn’t want to intrude anyone on their holiday so she takes off till New Years.”

“I figured they were close...but both being born on that day is rare.”

“It’s a rarity, but Spike, she believes that she has to celebrate this on her own...I don’t believe that.” Brimstone said. “Though being surrounded by the ones who love her, she still feels alone.” He dug into his trench pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and placed it on the bar. The professor slid it over to Spike.

Spike looked at him before grabbing the paper and turned it over and looked at it. It was a photograph of a woman and her young daughter. Spike almost mistaken the mother as Rachel ‘cause she looked stunningly like her, but it wasn’t. He turned the photo over and saw the writing. Darline and Rachel Lockhart. The background was snowing, both were dressed in winter clothing.

“Whenever I met an interesting human, I’d ask them for a photo, a photo say a lot about them.” Brimstone said as he stood up. “Rachel was at her happiest when that photo was taken. After what she told me about her father and how helpless she was...I couldn’t let the child go back to that hellhole.”

Brimstone grabbed a napkin and pen over the bar and scribbled down something on it. “Rachel is in my old cabin. I gave it to her as a 21st birthday present.”

“Why?” Spike asked, looking at him.

“I have a son who won’t be out of prison till he’s seventy-seven years old, my daughter doesn’t like the outdoors and I pretty much live at my job.” Brimstone explained before sliding the napkin, containing the location for Rachel’s whereabouts and the Cabin to Spike. “Spike, there is something I need for you to do when you confront her.”

“Anything.” Spike said as he stood up, grabbing the napkin from the bar in the process.

“Of all of the presents and gifts she’s been showered over the years while she’ve lived her, give her the one gift she truly needs.” Brimstone said. “Gifts can be bought or made, jewelry don’t mean anything to her...give her one that will make her truly happy.”

Spike nodded. “Will do. Thank you for this…”

“Good luck, my son.” Brimstone said before taking one last drink and walked out.

Spike eyed at the photo and the napkin. He didn’t have time to make a gift for Rachel since he came. He pondered what the stallion just told him. He thunk and pondered till he couldn’t no more.

When the neon sign above the bar lit up, an idea came to mind. Spike pulled out his phone quickly and made a few quick calls.

Midnight’s approaching, he’ll have to be quick.