• Published 6th Nov 2018
  • 898 Views, 20 Comments

a Hearth's Warming Birthday - CrimsonRose97



Spike tries to get to the bottom why Rachel isn't celebrating Hearth's Warming

  • ...
7
 20
 898

Ch. 1 - Twenty Years Later, Equestria: Ponyville - Edit

It looked like it was that time of the year again; Hearth’s Warming was here once more. The streets were filled with snow. Cheerful ponies rushed around the marketplace trying to find the right gift for their love ones on this wonderful holiday.

Spike the dragon flew across Ponyville to the nearby craft shop. Dressed in his leather jacket, a green plaid shirt and jeans. He wore a red scarf and a fuzzy hat over his spines, scales and horns. With a satchel full of bits, he went into the craft store and bought every crafting item possible that he could get and came back out with armfulls - and a tail-full of supplies.

He happily hummed as he walked back towards the tree castle. Along his way, he walked past the Carousel Boutique with Sweetie Belle walking out. She blew hot air onto her hands before turning the close sign over to where everypony could see before walking on her merry way.

As much as Spike despises Rarity and hasn’t forgiven her for what she did to Rachel, it was strange to see the Boutique closed this early. Normally it would be filled with ponies getting their last minute designs and dresses.

To see the store close was an oddity.

He walked over to Sweetie Belle. “Hey, Sweetie.”

“Oh, hi Spike,” Sweetie smiled when she saw him. She looked at the bags he has. “Wow, is Twilight going Twily-nanas again?”

Spike chuckled. “When isn’t she ever during Hearth’s Warming?” He said, shaking his head. “Nah, this is for Rachel.”

“All of that is for your girlfriend?” She questioned.

“Well, once i get done with it. I figure since Rachel is an artist and loves crafting little trinkets, I figured what perfect gift is the kind I make for her.”

“That’s really awesome!” Sweetie grinned. “I bet it’s going to rock.”

You and me both, Spike thought before sighing. “Um, why is the shop closed?’

Sweetie sighed, shaking her head. “Rarity has been losing a lot of clientele lately. Just the other day she lost Sapphire Shores.”

“Seriously? She’s one of Rarity’s biggest supporters. She just up and left?”

“Yeah… Rarity hasn’t been doing well with her designs. All of them went from stunning, to down right pukage. My attempt at a dress is better than her work. So much so that she had a nervous breakdown and checked herself into the mental ward at the hospital.” Sweetie explained.

“Oh shit.” Spike said.

“So until she gets back, i’m going to meet up with Apple Bloom and both of us are going to stay with Scootaloo for this Hearth’s Warming.” Sweetie said before smiling. “Have fun crafting.” she giggled before walking off.

Spike watched the 16 year old leave before chuckling himself, looking down at the bags at hand. He already bought everypony a gift ahead of time. All he wanted to do was work his present for Rachel.

Hopefully before she comes to Ponyville, which she arrives in three days.

He hoped.

Sheesh, he didn’t know he was such a procrastinator, even towards the most amazing woman in his life.

Wasting no time, Spike raced back to the castle to get started.

Once inside his room, Spike dumped all of the crafting materials on the floor. One of them being a tub of pink glitter exploded when it hit the hard crystal floor. It covered Spike head to toe in glitter.

He let out a cough and more glitter poofed out of his mouth. “Way to go, numbnuts.” Spike grunted, shaking his whole body to try and shake the glitter off of him.

As he tried to shake it off, his phone started to ring a ballad love rock ringtone. The perfect tone for his special someone.

Spike dug out his phone and swiped the green button. He sees Rachel chatting in facetime.

“Hey there big guy.” Rachel said before seeing Spike and snickered, covering her mouth. “Um… why do you look like one of the twins after they come home from work?”

“Did you just compare me to a pair of strippers?” Spike grinned. “I’m willing to do a show just for you.” He said before wiping the glitter off his chest.

Rachel laughed, a hand placed on her head and shook it. “Don’t get me started.”

Spike giggled before he noticed what she was wearing. Rachel was wearing a black sweater and sweatpants. The room was dimmed but he could see logs on the wall. Not like the grey walls filled with art he’s used to seeing in her room.

More importantly, and probably a good thing, he doesn’t see her creepy ass plushie collection.

“Um...where are you?” Spike asked, narrowing his eyes at her new surroundings.

“Nothing for you to worry about.” Rachel sighed softly. “Spike… there’s no way to bring this up, it’s not easy, given how much you want me to come to Ponyville for Hearth’s Warming-”

“Oh I can’t wait for you to show up.” Spike grinned, cutting her off. “I have everything planned and ready upon your arrival.”

Rachel frowned. “Spike...I’m not coming.”

Spike froze at that. ‘Huh?”

Rachel sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. “I’m sorry Spike. I’m truly am, but I won’t be able to come over for Hearth’s Warming. I got a lot of things going on and I need to do this alone.”

Spike’s ears and his wings drooped to the floor. It pushed the cluttered supplies to the side. “Oh-oh?”

“I’m sorry, big guy. I’ll be there on New Years.” rachel said.

“But...not on Hearth’s Warming…” Spike said sadly.

“I’m sorry, I truly am. Don’t let my absence deter your holiday festivities.”

“It will without you…”

Rachel kissed her screen as if it was to kiss him. “I’m sorry. I already sent my presents to you guys. Happy Hearth’s Warming, Spike. I’ll see you later.”

Spike sighed sadly. “Love you.”

“Love you too.”

They hung up. Spike fell flat on his butt. “Rachel’s not coming…” Spike said, letting the realization hit him.

He was going to spend the holidays without her.


****


Spike emerged downstairs in the kitchen. Pinkie Pie and Twilight were in there baking sweets ahead of schedule.

“Hi Spike!” Pinkie Pie chirped as she stirred in a bowl rapidly, making some sort of batter.

“Hey there.” Twilight said.

Spike leaned against the arch way of the kitchen with a sad expression. “Rachel’s not coming.” he announced.

The girls stopped their baking and turned to him with a gasp.

“She’s not coming?! Why isn’t she coming to your first Hearth’s Warming as a couple?! Is she sick?” Pinkie asked, bouncing over to him.

“Is she sick? I found a load of soup recipes, each will take care any case of the Cold or flu.” Twilight said, levitating a book of recipes. “All of which we can send to her personally. If Rachel can’t come, we go to her.”

Spike shook his head. “Rachel isn’t sick...or at least I don’t think so.” He said. “She has some stuff to take care of and wants to do it alone.”

Twilight hummed, rubbing her chin. “Maybe she’s celebrating her human holiday. Christmas I think it’s called.”

“Christmas?” Pinkie raised a brow at that strange word. “What traditions does this holiday have?”

Twilight teleports the three of them to the library. She flew up to the top shelf, grazing along the many books before finding the right one. “Ah hah, there you are. Earth’s Holidays and Traditions.”

She flew down and flipped through the book. “All Hallow’s Eve, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Dia Los Muertos, Easter, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa - HAH! Found it, Christmas!” She shows it to the two who peered over and looked.

“Christmas and Christmas Eve is a time of joyous celebration and family,” Twilight started as she reads.

“Like Hearth’s Warming!” Pinkie chirped.

“It’s a celebration of a young boy who was born from a virgin woman who gave birth to him in a barn. Three Kings who have traveled from afar bestowed the baby presents. That’s only one part of the story.” Twilight said, pointing to the picture where they saw the picture of the baby boy, his mother and father under the North Star. She then turned the page and shown them a big ol jolly man in a red suit and a long white beard with tiny reindeer. “Saint Nicholas, or Santa Claus, is a magical man who lived in Earth’s North Pole. He owned eight flying reindeer who pulls this sleigh, has a workshop where elves work to make all sorts of toys. His abilities: learning which child is nice or naughty, he tends to check it twice. If the child is nice, he gives them a gift.”

“What about the naughty?” Pinkie Pie asked, eating some popcorn as she listens.

Spike listened as well, curious about the fat man.

“But...if you’re naughty,” Twilight turned the page and all three of them gasped. The jolly old man turned in a ferocious creature with long black nails, clothes bloody and had horns. Even his bag was bloody. “Santa changes into a creature called Krampus. He takes the naughty children, stuffs them in a bag and takes them away into the night, never to be seen again.”

Pinkie Pie’s pink colors drained to white. “I gotta make sure I don’t get stuffed!” She screamed before running off to spread more good cheer. And to board up her home for the night.

Spike reached over and closed the book. “I’m already terrified of my girlfriend’s plushies, I don’t need to be scared by her human holidays.” He said before sighing. “I don’t think she’s celebrating that either. When we talked, she wasn’t in her room, I think she’s in a cabin somewhere.”

“Well, does she have a cabin?” Twilight asked.

Spike shrugged. “She never told me, so I don’t know.” He sighed. “Something’s wrong and i want to know.”

“Well, the only way to learn is if you go to Fillydelphia and see for yourself.” Twilight suggested before taking the book back to it’s shelf.

Spike pondered over at that. “That’s not a bad idea really.”

“Huh?” Twilight turned to ask if he was really going through with it…

But the dragon’s already gone. Spike quickly grabbed his to-go bag, his bits and took the first train out of Ponyville.