• Published 6th Nov 2018
  • 897 Views, 20 Comments

a Hearth's Warming Birthday - CrimsonRose97



Spike tries to get to the bottom why Rachel isn't celebrating Hearth's Warming

  • ...
7
 20
 897

Prologue - Earth's Manhattan, 20 years ago - edit

The clocks all around struck twelve times, the midnight hour surrounding all. The streets in the concrete city were filled with a blanket of white snow. In a city that never sleeps, even when it’s Christmas, there were always people driving around, buying last minute gifts for their love ones.

But one building on the other side of the city, there wasn’t any Christmas lights strung around. The second story brick home/dance studio wasn’t decked out for the holidays. No cheery music playing, not one smell of cookies that would be left out for the big red man and his tiny eight reindeer drawn sleigh. No sign of anyone celebrating the joyous holiday.

A young girl lay asleep in her bed, hugging her worn out teddy bear close to her chest. Her room was small, almost too small for the growing child; her feet already draped over the edge of the bed. The walls were displayed in many pictures of drawings, covering up the various holes that were in resulted by a fist hitting them. The old mucky shag carpet long lost its softness and was now itchy to the bottom of everyone’s feet.

A gentle knock on the door disturbed the girl’s sleep, the door slowly creaked open, and walking in was the girl’s mother. The mother was almost a perfect reflection of what the daughter would become when she gets older, with her blonde hair gracefully falling over her shoulders and her deep brown eyes casting a look of love for her child. The mother kneeled down next to her daughter’s bed and smiled, holding something behind her back.

“Hey there, Doppleganger,” the mother whispered to the little girl as the child rubbed her eyes.

“What time is it, mama?” the girl asked her with a yawn.

“Well, to everyone outside, it’s Christmas.” The mother giggled in response.

“Daddy said that Christmas is canceled this year…because I was bad.” The child said sadly. All she did was accidently knocked over a grandfather clock while playing a game called Hide and Clap with her mother.

The mother grunted, “your father may be pieces of shirt-balls, but he doesn’t control this wonderful holiday,” she then smiled before taking what she had behind her back and showed it to her daughter.

It was a medium size present, shape of a rectangle. It wasn’t wrapped with Christmas wrapping, but it had balloons and cake imprinted on the wrapping. “Nor take away our birthday.”

The daughter gasped out with joy, sitting up on her bed. “Oh really?”

The mother chuckled, nodding in response. “I got another surprise in the kitchen, and since your father will going to be spending the night with Uncle Tony, you and I have this house to ourselves.”

The daughter’s grin grew bigger and bigger with that.

Her mother leaned forward to her child and giggled. “And I know you have something for me as well. Go get it then.”

“Okay!” The daughter cheered before jumping off the bed and putting on her fuzzy bunny slippers. She kneeled to the ground, reaching under the small bed and grabbed a makeshift scroll. “Got it!” She sat up, holding it in her hands.

“Let’s go the kitchen now, shall we?” The mother giggled, waving the daughter’s present before leading her out.

The daughter scrambled up from the ground and took off after her mother. She had no idea what her mother had planned, but without her daddy home, it was going to be amazing. The hallway lay narrow, no pictures hung on the walls due to the cramped space. Running past the half-bath that had a flickering light bulb and flies buzzing around it, past the master bedroom which was mostly filled with War memorabilia, days of when her father was in the military till he was dishonorably discharged due to his bad attitude which got worse as time went on. Past the only picture that was in the home, hung just outside of the hall, was of the Mother, her daughter, and the father taken at the picture place at Walmart.

Taking a turn from the living room, almost tripping over her own two feet, the daughter came to the average size kitchen. On the countertop was a cake, covered in purple and yellow frosting.

The daughter squealed in joy as she ran up to one of the tall stools and climbed up to take her seat. “Cake!”

The mother chuckled, setting the daughter’s present down. “It’s not done yet. It needs...an artist’s touch.” She reached over from the stove and held up a bag of blue frosting.

The daughter reached over from the mother and grabbed it. “Draw whatever you want on it.” The mother instructed.

The child nodded, holding the bag of frosting. She stood on the stool top carefully to look at the top of the cake. She thought carefully of what to draw before grinning from ear to ear and began drawing on it. The daughter took two minutes to draw her masterpiece and step back from it.

“Ta-da!”

The mother loomed over and saw what the girl drew and smiled. It was of two pony silhouettes, a mama and the baby loving each other and at the edge of it was a feather - or an attempt of a feather.

The mother blinked away a tear before grabbing a candle and a box of matches. “Cake or present.”

“Cake!”

“Should’ve known.”

The mother placed the candle in the center of the cake, between the two ponies, striking a match before lighting the candle up. The mother then walked over and hugged her daughter from behind.

And started to sing softly.

“Happy Birthday to us, happy birthday to us, happy birthday dear Doppelganger, happy birthday to us.” Her voice was a melody, sounds of sweet honey and fine wine came from her lips.

The daughter and the mother in unison blew out the single candle and hugged each other. “Happy Birthday Mommy.” The daughter hummed.

“Happy birthday baby girl” The mother said, kissing her head.

Author's Note:

Merry Early Christmas XD