• ...
4
 19
 1,791

Chapter 3: Operation Shadow

Chapter 3
Operation Shadow

Three weeks later and I just touched down on the airfield, I just got back from the Shadow Company’s infiltration op. Shadow Company were now in Equestria gathering Intel on Imperial movements, strongholds and the ponies who would take priority for the rescue op in a couple of weeks. We had some Griffins constantly flying above Equestria and relaying images via live camera feed to us. The rest of the escort party were now touching down on the runway as I made my way to the airfield's HQ. As soon as I opened the door to the HQ the room stood to attention, Caramel was holding the receiver of the red telephone that had a direct link to Princess Luna.

Caramel mouthed the words “Princess Luna.”

“I know.” I mouthed back.

I took the receiver from Caramel and said one word into it.

“Eclipse.”

That was the NLRAF code word for a successful op. “Shadow” for less than a successful outcome and “Nightmare” for failure. I heard a sigh of relief from the other end of the phone.

“Excellent, well done all of you.”

The receiver was put down; Luna must have been in a meeting with parliament and waiting for the result of the operation. I also breathed a sigh of relief and put my receiver down.

“Whirl, you okay?”

“No. I’m bloody tired.”

“Well 8 hours of flying must be a feat for anypony, even you.”

“You got that right, I’m off to bed. Tell parliament I’ll give them my report on the operation when I’m rested, and make sure that the other pilots get some rest. Put the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing on standby and the 2nd chopper battalion in case we need to extract Shadow Company.”

“ Sure thing Whirl.”

*

Another three weeks passed, it was now the deadline for Shadow Company’s first report. All senior members of the NLR military were gathered in the ops room waiting for the report. I looked at the row of clocks above the map of our world.

“Two minutes to go.”

“Don’t worry Whirlwind I’m sure everything will be fine.”

“I hope so Bon Voyage, I hope so.”

“Baseplate this is Hawk Eye, were receiving a transition from all cells. Over.”

“Roger Hawk Eye standby” said Caramel who then nodded his head at the pony operating the encoding machine in the corner. The machine buzzed into life and a green display replaced the map of the world saying “standing by for input.”

“Hawk Eye we’re set, send it.”

“Roger Baseplate sending it now.”

The encoder buzzed as it picked up the radio waves; the blank green screen was now awash with white letters all rotating thought the alphabet. The message started to take shape.

Earth Cell:
•36 ponies for excitation
•75 Recruited
•Supplies: Good
•Enemy Presence: Substantial in cities, small in towns 200+
•Targets: Download
•Living condition of civilians: Poor in towns, well in cities
•Status: Uncompromised
•Morale: High

“Great feed from the Earth Cell hawk eye now for the Unicorn Cell.” said the Ops room commander.

“Roger, sending it now.”

Unicorn Cell:
•12 for extraction
•4 Recruited
•Supplies: Good
•Enemy Presence: Minimal
•Targets: Download
•Living conditions: Great
•Status Uncompromised
•Morale: High

“Received and understood Hawk Eye, now the Pegasus Cell.”

“Roger Baseplate sending it now.”

“Error. Choose another method.” appeared on the green screen in big red letters.

“What! Rain Drop what is going on?” said the Op room commander.

“Give me a second sir I’m re-routing it. It’s a live feed not a message.”

“Huh?”

The green screen was replaced by Stomper, second in command of the Pegasus cell.

“Baseplate are you receiving me?” said an out of breath Stomper.

“We are Agent Sierra, loud and clear what’s wrong?” said Molotov.

“Agent Delta...she`s been compromised... they've taken her...”

The room fell silent, all that could be heard was the sound of the monitors buzzing in the room and Stomper's gasps for breath.

“Baseplate are you receiving me over?”

I flew down and hovered in front of the screen.

“We are, now calm down. When was she taken?”

“Less than one hour ago sir, Delta, myself and four recruits were scouting out an Imperial Watch tower in Cloudsdale when we were ambush.”

“Are you compromised?”

“Negative, Delta held them off so I could escape...I’m sorry sir.”

“Don’t be. Listen to me Sierra, your new objective is to find were the Empire have taken Delta and gather Intel. Don’t go mounting a rescue op, we will worry about that, you just worry about the Intel, got that?”

“Yes sir, Sierra out.”

The screen went back to green.

“Parliament mustn't know about this” I said.

“What?” said Molotov.

“If Parliament ever gets wind of this then we are done before we have even started. No one outside the military must know.”
“Even Princess Luna” replied Molotov.

“I’m afraid so,”

“I don’t think this is such a good idea, we should inform Parliament” said Bon Voyage.

“Look, we will work quicker and better without the politicians breathing down our necks and looking over our shoulders. Every second we spend discussing this is a second more the empire have with Agent Delta, we can’t just abandon her she is too valuable. I cannot do this without the help of the army and navy, are you with me or not?

Molotov and Bon Voyage looked at each other then back at me.

“We will”

“Thank you my friends. Right, chit chat over. We've got a rescue to plan."