• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 2,125 Views, 74 Comments

Hell's Traitor - Mystic



Does a pony ever really change? Even those damned for eternity?

  • ...
3
 74
 2,125

Part III

Hell’s Traitor

by Mystic

Part III


The storm clouds were moving. I watched as the shadow curled in the sky, boiling and raging, a tempest covering the seventh level in a most unnatural darkness. He was readying His minions for war. From my perch on the tallest peak of Valkor, overlooking the Duustuvur plains, I could see lightning flickering, followed seconds after by the earth-shattering explosions of the thunder. The wind tore at my mane and tail, trying its best to rip them from my body. My army… His army… was sprawled out like an aggressive mould, reaching out across the land with its coils of smoke and belching fires. Great beasts and machines of war could be seen even from this distance – towers of hell-steel and bone, built to render even the height of Canterlot obsolete.

There would be no defeat. There would be stopping the darkness as soon as the gate fell. I couldn’t see it, deep down in the seventh level as it was, but I could feel it. The seal was cracking. The magic binding it in place shattering under His might.

The army was preparing to move. They were preparing to go to war.

I was furious. At what, I had absolutely no idea. I wanted to tear the earth itself to pieces. I wanted to raze Duvundur to the ground and burn the foundations and then cast myself into Oustro, the Boiling Ocean, until my flesh was nothing more than a memory.

I wanted her to suffer. Her with her purple eyes and missing horn. I wanted to destroy her, tearing her apart until there was nothing left but dust. I wanted to break her Princess, cast her sun down from the sky and burn her own body upon it.

I wanted my revenge. I wanted what I had always wanted, what had been promised to me. I had sacrificed so much. Because it was mine! It should have been mine! Everything! I had not asked for anything less than what I deserved, and my fealty had been cast down by a tyrant and a liar.

“Step down, Aurvandil.”

I felt like screaming. But I didn’t. I just stayed where I was, silent, watching the army slowly come to life like a virus readying itself to convert and mutilate.

I didn’t even turn around when Beelzebub appeared next to me. His winged beast was no where to be seen, nor had I heard it, so he must have walked up. Why, I couldn’t fathom.

“Aurvandil.”

I didn’t turn around. “What do you want?”

I heard the demon hiss. “Such anger. Such burning fire. I can hear it in your voice, little traitor. Your emotions are clearer than the daylight.”

“Speak your intention, filth, or be gone from this place!”

The next thing I knew, Beelzebub’s lips were right next to my ear, his hot breath lingering in my nostrils. I didn’t even blink. “Watch yourself, traitor. I will destroy you, and He will not think to punish me for burning the weak.”

Finally, I turned to him. I looked Beelzebub in the eyes, letting all my hatred show. “Try me.”

He held my gaze for a moment, our faces inches apart as his eyes showed no emotion at all. And then he stepped back, smirking. “Save your angst. The Princess shall need that kind of anger.”

“And after she is dead, and the Kingdom mine, I will cast my eyes to the dragons and tear off Glamduural’s wings, and he shall be my pet, a wyrm to lick the ash off the ground for food.”

Beelzebub walked around the wide obsidian balcony, moving away from me. “The dragon king is weak. Thyráil will be of some challenge. The dryads may be a memory of their former power, but their Queen still possesses some strength.”

“And then I shall ask Him for the pleasure of tearing off that fake alicorn’s horn. She is an abomination, a lesser being not worthy of the power given to her.”

“And I will be there to burn the city to the ground. Let you have your revenge. I will not rest until the earth is ash and the sky suffocated from smoke.”

We had held this conversation many, many times. Each time we went through the motions, taking comfort in the fact that we both meant each word with every fibre of our being, and that here we could find common ground. But now it felt like just that, as if I were reading lines from some script written a long time ago by a stranger.

“How fares the surface?” I asked, breaking the flow of conversation.

Beelzebub looked at me a moment before continuing. “It already starts to burn. He has been slipping out larger and larger forces all day and night. The more the gate cracks, the stronger beasts He can spirit out. The ponies are useless without their weapon; their guards are weak and untrained, their populations cowering. Some try to flee the land, others stay in their homes.”

“I am surprised the Chaos Puppet hasn’t broken free again.” I was genuine too. This seemed like the perfect sort of playground in which he would be his strongest.

Beelzebub snorted. We held no love for Discord. He was stronger than us and would just as easily turn on us as the ponies. “Let him come; He will be merciful and send the spawn’s soul into the void this time, I am sure.” Discord may be powerful, but he was not stronger than Him.

“He is not one to be merciful.”

There was a silence. I could hear Beelzebub breathing and the flies that surrounded him like a bad smell. I could feel his gaze on me, his blank eyes trying to eat a way into my soul.

“What about her?” he asked. “What about the Moon?”

I ran my tongue along the edge of my teeth, breathing hard through my nostrils. “What about her?”

“You will kill her.”

My head snapped to face him, losing control for a second. I saw the glimmer of satisfaction cross Beelzebub’s face at my response, so I bit back my original reply. “He said I could have her as a prize.”

“He did. But I am telling you that you will kill her to prove your loyalty to Him.”

“I have nothing to prove to Him! I have nothing to prove to you!”

Beelzebub smiled. It was a cold expression, his gaping maw and pointed and rotted teeth leering at me, leaving me feeling empty inside. “You have everything to prove to us, little traitor. And you will kill her, or I will. And I swear to you I will take great pleasure in making her suffer. Such pretty eyes. I always did say they sparkled like stars.”

I could feel the anger burning. “I will kill you.”

Beelzebub’s smile grew wider. “Will you now? Why would you kill me, your friend? But still... wouldn’t that be a sight to see. His two great titans, battling like we once did. Things would be right with the world then, wouldn’t they?”

I seethed, hatred flowing through my veins like a poison. “Don’t tempt me.”

The demon laughed, a forced, wheezing sound that filled me with the urge to tear out his throat. He was rarely like this. “The element? She still breathes? I assume she is still in one piece. He will not be pleased if that is not the case.”

I looked away from the demon and back out to the writhing mass of soldiers so very far away on the plain. “Of course she still breathes.”

Beelzebub moved, placing himself to my right, also looking out to the army. “Her eyes… they remind me of Luna’s…”

I tensed, biting down on my tongue to prevent myself from speaking.

“They have that same… sparkle. Like the stars live inside their eyes.” I knew he was staring at me. I could feel it. “I just hope they haven’t all gone out for tomorrow.”

“Do you have anything of importance to say, Beelzebub?” I snapped, ignoring his previous goading.

Beelzebub leered at me again. “Only that you are to come down and make yourself ready. We have much to prepare, and your-” he spat the word, his voice dripping with venom, “-army needs to see its leader else they become… disloyal.”

I growled. “I will be down, filth.”

The demon nodded. “Good. Bring her with you. Her body, broken yet still clinging to life, will be good for morale.”

I looked over, tempering my voice with sarcasm. “Is that even necessary at this point?”

Beelzebub stopped, looking at me closely. “No. It isn’t. But do you wish otherwise?”

My eyes flashed violently. “Fool.”

“Do not fail Him, Aurvandil. For if you do, I will destroy you. You are a traitor, and traitors never change. I can still tear your soul apart, and you will keep Nurshotal’s soul-lamps burning for many, many centuries.”

“Leave me, Beelzebub. I will be down shortly.”

The demon sneered. “As you wish, oh Prince of Darkness…” He turned and limped back into the depths of Valkor.

As soon as he was gone, I turned back to the vista before me, watching the ground tremble under the weight of the army under a burning sky.


The darkness of my citadel welcomed me like and old friend. I used the shadows to slip through the corridors unseen, a spectre in my own home. I wasn’t sure why I did it. I just didn’t feel like being seen. I wanted to move invisibly, undetected and alone.

And so I did.

I should have been moving to the dungeons. I knew that. But I wasn’t. I was heading to someplace that I should never in a thousand years have gone to, not now, and certainly not the night before.

The door rasped open, sliding with a loud whisper over the obsidian. I slipped inside, closing the door behind me and sealing myself in the darkness. There was a moment, and then a single, natural fire began to burn on a torch set along the wall.

She was curled up in the corner on top of a small pile of rags, the only objects in the room beside myself and the torch. Twilight’s back was to me, but I could see her body shuddering with each breath. Her tail was matted with blood and filth and so was her coat. Her head was marred by that black gash, her soiled mane partly covering it, the only remains of her horn. I looked at her cutie mark, the stars covered by a festering cut.

I stared at her for the longest time, not saying a word. She would die soon. They will destroy her and place her body above the army, a banner worthy of Hell. That was a fact. There was nothing to stop it from happening.

She stirred, twitching as she was assaulted in her dreams. She cried out, and then she fell silent again.

I looked away. I stood there, staring into the shadow, not wanting to stay, not wanting to move. I wanted her out of my sight. I wanted her gone so I could kill her Princess and get my revenge. I didn’t want her. Not anymore.

“I… I can’t even dream down here…”

I started, her voice so quiet and broken that I wasn’t sure I hadn’t imagined it.

“What did you say?” I asked.

“I can’t dream…” she whispered again. “I see things… but they aren’t dreams. Nightmares… that’s what this place is, and it’s all can see.”

“This is where the real nightmares live,” I said. “This where they are locked up so dreams can live under the sun and the moon and stars.”

“I saw them,” Twilight said, her voice shaking. She still hadn’t turned to face me.

“Saw who?”

“My friends. I saw them on the hill near Applejack’s orchard. They were all having a picnic as the sun began to set. It was just like the one we had before Applejack’s birthday last year. The grass was gold and the sun warm and not too bright. They were all talking and laughing. Rainbow was playing games with Pinkie, and Rarity and Fluttershy were talking together. Applejack rested under a tree and I… and I wasn’t there… they couldn’t see me. I could touch them… I could speak… but they didn’t know I was there. I even slapped Pinkie and she just shrugged it off, talking about party streamer consistency. I even…” She broke off, choking down a sob.

“There are no dreams here,” I said quietly.

“And… and…” Twilight sobbed, continuing, “I know that… even they could see me, even if they could feel me, I know that it’s never going to happen again. I will never see Rainbow fly or Fluttershy take care of her animals. I will never see Rarity fret over such a small thing as a get well gift. I will never see Applejack smile and tell everypony that everything’s going to be ok. I will never see Pinkie laugh again… Nothing… nothing but a nightmare now…”

Then she shifted, bringing her head around to look me in the eyes. Hers were bloodshot and ringed with tiredness. She looked absolutely exhausted. But deep down, down in the centre of her eyes, there was something missing. Her eyes were lifeless, dull and blank, devoid of any kind of light – any kind of spark.

She was broken.

I looked away. “Come now. The army is preparing. Soon they will move out and then the world will end.” It really was as simple as that.

I knew she didn’t look away. But I couldn’t look back. I just took her inside my magic and left the room, leaving the torch alight. It would burn itself out after a time. Of that I was sure.


I drifted through the camp, ignoring the calls shouted out to my charge behind me. The only creatures I acknowledged were those who got too close to her. She was to be left alive and unspoiled. Those were His wishes, and I pitied anything that failed to live up to His desires in His dominion.

Monsters scurried around me like ants, dismantling equipment and packing it up, ready to march. Beasts sharpened swords and made last minute repairs to armour. Others sat still, waiting, their bodies quivering with blood lust.

I ascended the stairs to Darkolith quickly. Normally, the tower would be almost empty, but today it was filled with all kinds of creatures speaking over maps or walking with clear purpose. They all knew their orders, and they did little more than salute me before continuing with their work. Centuries of planning was not wasted. A few of the monsters jeered at Twilight but she ignored them, their taunts falling upon deaf ears. I wasn’t sure she even had the strength to cry now.

Two demon pegasi stood guard at the top of the stairs, watching the corridor leading to my room. They saluted with their scaly wings when I approached, and they leered at the prisoner behind me. I walked past them without acknowledging their existence and strode down and then into my room, closing the door behind me.

It turned out I was not alone, even before Twilight floated in behind me.

“And here she is…” Beelzebub whispered, stepping out of the shadows and moving closer to Twilight. He was already garbed in his armour, flanged plate metal the colour of the plague, a sickly brown and green. Petrisis, his sword, was nowhere to be seen, still waiting outside reality for its master’s summons. “She looks dead… You have been cruel.”

“She still breathes, and she is physically fine,” I spat.

“True… true… Her spirit is another matter entirely. Hell has not been kind, it seems.”

“What were you expecting? To shower her with riches and comfort?”

Beelzebub’s lips curled up along the edges. “No. Not like that.”

“Then you are wasting my time,” I said.

The demon ignored me and began to circle Twilight, his blank eyes never leaving her. “Do you know what I am going to do to your home?”

Twilight shrank away, a whimper escaping her lips.

“No,” Beelzebub crooned, his voice soft. “There will be far too much fire for that. Picture it, little element! Picture the oceans of fire! The pits sunk straight into Tartarus, feeding the forges that will build our new world. The cities will fall and the black towers rise while your fellow ponies live the last of their lives serving me as I turn the world to ash. Now that… that is my dream.”

“My friends… my friends will stop you.”

Beelzebub stopped a moment before cracking up into a wet and coughing laugh. “She still has some spirit left…” he said to me before turning back to her. “Good. Breaking you will be much more enjoyable. That was my favourite part, you know. They were always alicorns, but they were spirits of harmony one and the same, just like you. The light in their eyes, that last sliver of hope, you could watch it go out. Poof! Like a candle. And in that moment, you knew that they knew all hope was lost and just as surely as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, they were about to die…”

He moved over to her, leaning close to her ear to whisper gently, “And trust me, little element, I have been waiting to see that light vanish again for a very… very long time.”

Twilight didn’t reply, trembling slightly, the proximity to the demon leaving her unable to speak. I remembered the feeling well.

Beelzebub leaned back, smiling to himself. “I look forward to our next meeting, little element. I pray you enjoy your last moments free of pain.” And then with barely a nod to me, he turned and left the room, his sluggish hoofsteps echoing through the open door.

“Do you enjoy that?” Twilight whispered, still in my magical prison.

“What?” I asked, taken aback.

“All of that… all of that talk?” Her breathing was laborious, forced even. “Is all of that what… what you want? The fire and the end of the world?”

“I want my revenge, and I want the power promised to me,” I said automatically.

“That’s… that’s a terrible reason to do all that...”

I raised an eyebrow. “You are naïve, Twilight Sparkle. I care for absolutely nothing about the surface anymore. There is nothing up there that I want to protect rather than serve my own interests.”

“So do you enjoy it?” she said, suddenly much quicker. “Do you enjoy all the pain and misery? All this hatred?” She was looking at me, her eyes glistening with tears.

I turned away. It was not like her to be so forward. She had barely spoken a word her entire time here, but now she was pressing me with her questions, suddenly seeming almost desperate for the answers. But for what purpose, I wasn’t sure.

But what’s more, I didn’t have an answer for her. I could have said anything, but I didn’t. It wasn’t that I would have said an answer that I didn’t want her to hear, but rather, I didn’t want to speak at all. So I didn’t. I turned around, opening a chest along the wall to reveal my armour sitting inside.

I took my time putting it on, tightening each piece with magic, trying to ignore the unicorn behind me. Black plates resting over a coat of dark mail hugged my chest and sides ergonomically, each flowing into the other like tapered dragon scales, leaving my wings plenty of room to manoeuvre. A spined helmet shaped like a wraith’s skull went over my brow, and greaves protected my legs. Acchreon shimmered in the air near my head, the massive blade not yet in reality, and not quite out of it. I let my horn crackle, sparks hissing up and down its length.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and exhaled. Then I opened them, turning to Twilight who was still watching me, her eyes heartbroken.

Beelzebub was right. I could still see the stars in her eyes.


The sunlight streamed into the throne room through the glass roof in golden waterfalls, warming the air like a gentle embrace. At its head was a collection of three figures dressed in finery so resplendent that even the diamond encrusted nobles in the front looked simple in comparison. Coloured star-metal armour covered their bodies, one gold, one silver and the other a dusky grey, as did cloaks of gold-worked Dramad silks. They seemed to glow, bathed in an otherworldly light, flushed in triumph.

The throne room was filled with alicorns, male and female, some in robes, others encased in armour. More than a few of those still in armour looked battered and beaten, sporting minor injuries that were taking their time in healing. If they were in any pain, however, they did not show it. Everypony assembled looked to the three alicorns at the head of the throne room with expressions bordering on awe.

While each of the alicorns was a sight to behold, everypony was truly looking at the shadow-grey alicorn in the middle, flanked by their Princesses. They looked at him with joyous smiles and bright eyes, ignoring their fatigue and injuries.

This was a day of celebration, a day of victory.

A day made possible by the alicorn standing at their head. He was smiling proudly, a victorious glint in is eyes.

You gaze upon a true spirit of Harmony,” Celestia said, her eyes warm and benevolent. “You gaze upon the virtue of duty and sacrifice, and the courage to stand strong in Harmony’s name!”

She paused, smiling. “Aurvandil, Prince of the Kingdom, stood alone at the gates of Iathalas while the shadow threatened to destroy the city of life. He alone stood against the demon princes, pious and honourable in defence, stalwart and unmoveable. He alone stood against the last remaining Shadow, an evil beyond anything this world deserves to suffer.

“He alone held the gates against shadow and fire long enough for me to arrive to turn the tide.” She lowered her head, spreading her wings out as she bowed. “We owe him; we all owe him our thanks and our praise.”

Aurvandil looked resplendent, bathing in the gazes of everypony assembled.

The Princess raised her head, sunlight forming a halo around her as she opened her wings completely, holding them above her. “Heith Aurvandil! Heith the Prince of the Kingdom!”

“Heith Aurvandil!” the alicorns assembled cheered in the old tongue, their faces bright with joy. “Heith Aurvandil!” A wave of applause washed over the throne room, as did several cheers from the soldiers.

Celestia waited a moment before speaking again. “Today is a day for celebration, a day for song and light. Go forth and be free; sing songs of joy and of peace. The shadow is at bay; the sun and moon shine triumphant.” She smiled again. “For Harmony.”

“For Harmony!” the audience cheered back, suddenly laughing and smiling. Several started singing as they moved apart, filing out of the throne room, their clear and sweet voices filling the hall.

At the head of the room, Aurvandil smiled as Celestia turned to him, her own smile warm as the sun. “Thou hast inspired the Kingdom, Prince of Dusk.”

“I did as was necessary for the defence of the realm, my Princess,” Aurvandil replied, lowering his head in respect. “Nothing more.”

Celestia laughed. “Suddenly so modest! What has happened to thy pride, Aurvandil? Has victory cooled thy fire?”

Aurvandil allowed a small smile in return. His eyes, however, sparkled.No, your Majesty. I am merely proud to have served the Kingdom in Harmony’s name. It is all I have ever wanted.”

“Ever wanted? Surely there is something I can grant thee in reward for thy services?”

Aurvandil thought for a moment, averting his eyes, hiding the flash of emotion that passed through them. When he spoke, he did so with measured ease and respect. “I would wish for the seat of Galathadros, to further my work for the Kingdom, my Princess.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “The seat of Galathadros? Thou asketh for a mighty gift, indeed.”

Aurvandil looked Celestia in the eyes. “Baraithea has stepped down, Your Majesty. The seat needs filling.

“That it does,” the Princess mused. She turned to her younger sister. “Luna, pray tell, what is thine opinion on the matter? Dost thou believe Aurvandil to be fit for the role?”

Luna regarded both her sister and Aurvandil carefully before speaking. “I see nothing but a strong will and a good heart.”

“Such diplomacy,” Celestia said, clearly amused. “But for whose sake? His? Mine? Or perhaps thy own?” When Luna gave no response other than an impatient look, Celestia chuckled before continuing. “Yes, I do believe thee deserving of such a responsibility. Thy good character and unwavering sacrifice are necessary virtues that are enough to please me.”

Aurvandil nodded, holding back a wide smile. “You honour me, Princess. Thank you for this.”

The Princess looked at him for a long while. “Thou hast earned it, Aurvandil. Go forth and enjoy the day.”

Aurvandil hesitated. “But Your Majesty, surely they would appreciate my presence on the river instead? The line is spread thin, even without the fighting.”

Celestia shook her head. “No. There is no need. The Shadow has crept back into the dark places of the world against Harmony’s light.”

The prince looked around. Seeing only Luna listening, he spoke quickly, “É aés narsis rauc, aés Duvunai tarac.” Few still knew the old tongue other than phrases based on tradition, so it was not likely that anypony who did overhear would understand. Exactly as Aurvandil wanted.

Celestia regarded him for a long time, her eyes narrowing. “Talau sas ni resait dalos.”

“No need for fear…?” Aurvandil said in disbelief, switching back to the common tongue.

Celestia shook her head. “No. There is not. Go and enjoy thyself, Aurvandil. Thou hast earned that much.” With that, the Sun Princess turned and made to leave. “Excuse me. I must make myself present amongst those present.”

Aurvandil watched her walk away, shaking his head.

You should not worry so much.”

The grey alicorn turned to the speaker by his side. “How can I not, my Princess? I have fear for the safety of my Kingdom. The enemy is strong. So very strong…”

“And this comes from the Kingdom’s champion…” Luna said, her voice light. “Perhaps I should be concerned then.”

Aurvandil raised an eyebrow, but he smiled despite himself. “Your sense of humour is much like your sister’s.”

No, you misunderstand, oh Prince – my sister’s sense of humour is much like my own.”

Aurvandil laughed. “I cannot argue with that.”

“I should think not,” Luna said. She was quiet for a moment. “You have done well, Aurvandil.”

“Thank you, Princess.”

“Luna.”

“Pardon?”

“I have told you enough times,” she said with a smile. “Outside the public eye, call me Luna, not Princess.”

Aurvandil smirked. “Yes… Luna…”

“Such disrespect,” Luna tittered. “One would think that a Prince would know better.”

“One would assume that, yes,” Aurvandil replied, chuckling.'

“But the point still stands,” Luna said. “You should be proud of your achievements. I feel that the songs they are singing would be very different were you not present at Iathalas when He attacked.”

Aurvandil shrugged. “I simply did what I had to. The Shadow has to be stopped.”

“Indeed it does… You do this Kingdom a great service, Aurvandil. Thank you. Truly, you have a most wonderful heart.”

Yet it is nothing compared to your eyes,” Aurvandil said, facing away from Luna, his voice barely louder than a whisper.

“Pardon me?” Luna said, her head tilted slightly to the side and her eyes inquisitive.

“Nothing,” Aurvandil said, looking back to Luna with a smile. “It is nothing.”

“If you are certain…” Luna said. There was something in her eyes, though, that made Aurvandil suspicious, and her small smile made his stomach feel as if a tiny bird was fluttering inside.

“Prin- I mean, Luna, would you be interested in seeing me again this evening? The gardens look spectacular in the moonlight, and I would very much like to see you again soon.”

To Aurvandil’s great relief, Luna smiled warmly, her eyes shining. “I would love that, Aurvandil. I truly would.”


I stood encased in my vicious-looking armour, a true servant of Hell now, clad as I was in flanged hell-steel. I waited by the large window, trying to see through the thick panes of red glass. It was an exercise in futility, though, for they were far too stained to see anything.

My head was a mess. My thoughts smashed into each, other only to become lost before I could properly grasp them as I tried to make sense of the streams of consciousness. I wasn’t sure what I felt. Anger? Frustration? Disappointment? Apprehension? Even fear? I was not sure. All I knew was that if I did not acknowledge her existence, I could think faster and with more clarity.

Making matters worse were the two guards standing outside. I could hear them speaking. Their voices carried down the corridor as vulgar cackles, hissing and spitting as they verbally clambered over each other. I tried to push their voices out of my head, but I knew I would not succeed. Even with the door shut I could still hear them clear as day.

I allowed myself a quick glance at Twilight and saw that the unicorn hadn’t moved. She was still lying on her stomach, slightly on her side, her chest rising and falling unevenly. Her expression showed no sign that she could hear them as I did, so I assumed that she couldn’t.

“I will collect a part of each of each species and wear them around my neck,” one said, his voice low and rumbling. “I want a part of each of the three types of ponies by tomorrow’s end.”

A sharp, cackling voice replied, “What? What will you take from a earth pony or pegasus? They have no horns which you can cut off!”

“No, but they have wings and feathers, or hooves. Each will suffice.”

“Grishnak said that there are griffins and zebra outside the gates as well.”

The deep voice laughed. “The more the better! The more there are to face us, the more hope they will have.”

“The pony princesses will be waiting for us on the other side,” the cackling voice replied.

“Bah! Their power is a lie! I will personally cut out their hearts and eat them!”

“You? You would burn before you even took to the air!”

The deep voice growled. “I could destroy them both. First the Sun Princess. Her mane would make great rope!”

“And then the Moon.”

I felt my blood turn to ice as all sound in the room vanished except for their voices.

“And then the Moon. I would go slow with her, see how easy an alicorn’s flesh really cuts.”

“I would wear her horn as a trophy!”

“I want her eyes. They say they sparkle like the stars themselves. I don’t think they’d sparkle if I ripped them out!”

I didn’t really remember moving. It was all just a blur, driven by a burning hot point inside me. I didn’t remember opening the door, Acchreon bursting into existence beside me. I didn’t remember swooping down the corridor, the entire hallway filled with a flickering black light as my power surrounded my body.

I did, however, remember their faces. At first they turned to me, confused, each with their mouths hanging wide open in shock. And then I watched that shock turn to fear as they saw my face. I think even Death himself would have been afraid of my face in that moment.

They didn’t even have time to scream as Acchreon flashed again and again, each stroke colouring the walls with a dark crimson. I didn’t know how long it took me to stop, but I finally did, panting, my sword dripping with blood.

I surveyed the carnage around me with cold calculation. They were dead. I had no idea what I had done to their souls. I hoped they were trapped in my blade, and not free in the void. The fact that they were dead left me with a problem, though. I could kill things, but guards, guards that were meant to be guarding me? That would require answers. Answers that I did not want to give.

But I could lie. It would be easy. No one would even think twice about their deaths if I explained them as being insolent.

But I wasn’t thinking about that. I was thinking about her eyes. It was stupid, but I knew I wasn’t thinking straight. I wasn’t sure I ever had been thinking straight though. Not for a very long time.

And so I didn’t think. I just acted. I let myself do what I wanted, without thinking, without anything. I always had been impulsive.

Before I knew it, I was back in the room, striding across to the window. Twilight was looking at me, horrified, still trying to stumble to her hooves.

“What… what did you do?” she asked quietly, looking at my blood-splattered body.

“I condemned myself, Twilight Sparkle. For better or worse, with logic or not, I condemned myself.” I turned and faced the window. My horn started to glow, and I saw my magic engulf the glass. I could have walked down the stairs, but if I was going to do this, time was of the essence.

With a loud crack, the glass shattered inwards, spraying across the floor in large shards.

“What are you doing?” she whispered.

I turned back to her, looking her straight in the eyes. They were wide and scared, and I couldn’t help but give a small smile. Even I could find the irony in the moment. “I am doing what I do best, Twilight. Being a traitor.”

With that, I snatched her up within a magical ball and jumped out the window. North, I had to fly north, and faster than I had ever flown before. The army was already beginning to assemble. It would be less than an hour before they were on the move. Less if someone guessed my treachery.

And so I pushed my wings as hard as I could, quickly leaving the plains of Duustuvur behind. I didn’t think. I just flew.


I swept through the various levels of Hell like a demon possessed. I went north, straight as an arrow, nothing more than a dark streak as I tore through the air. I didn’t stop at any of the gates leading to the higher levels. Each mighty door was shattered open, the chunks of stone, obsidian and hell-steel moved to the side to clear a passage. He had torn them to pieces.

I flew through each passage without thought, disappearing into the darkness shrouding it and coming out on the other side, continuing north, being reset each time to the southern edge of the level.

The landscape of Tartarus changed constantly; there was less and less fire the higher I went, the earth becoming covered in a fine ash, a volcanic wasteland almost, rather than a fire pit for souls. I saw hardly any living things while we flew; not even the smoke shades were out, or the armies of mindless insects or other carnivorous scum that inhabited Tartarus. I knew that this was because each time we had broken through one of the gates, we had quickly set about either recruiting or enslaving its population. The higher we went, we began to find nothing but the lesser evils of Tartarus. Our forges were overflowing with these minor beasts, leaving the levels ominously quiet.

I knew, though, that the silence was merely the quiet before the storm. Each time I pushed through a gate, I looked back over my shoulder. No matter how high I flew, I could see the storm clouds burning behind me, demonic fire illuminating the black shadows from the inside. They loomed on the horizon, the clouds of war on the march.

I was running out of time.

Each time I flew through a gate, it became a little harder. The wards on each one, while broken, still lingered, a powerful and unseen force that pulled at me, slowing me down. It almost felt like I was flying through water, especially in the higher gates. But the feeling would pass the second I was through, and I could fly properly again. I was getting close. I was on the second level, flying over the forests of bone that dominated the northern expanse of this level.

It would not be long now.

Twilight was silent for our entire journey. Maybe she tried to speak. I wasn’t sure, though, for there was no way I could hear her as far back as she was from me. Even with my vastly superior hearing, the sound would vanish, left in my wake. I liked it better that way. I didn’t want to hear her talk. I didn’t want to think about what I was doing, about what I was doing to myself.

All I could see were shades of purple, a white light sparkling inside like stars. I was foolish, but that was acceptable, because I wasn’t thinking about it. Not really.

I passed through the final gate with some difficulty, pumping and straining my wings to remain airborne. I took some comfort in the fact that passing through the gates would slow Beelzebub and the army down considerably, though. It would buy me some time. Time that I was pretty sure I was going to need to see my plan succeed.

On the other side, I took a deep breath. I could see it. The first level was the smallest. It was an ash wasteland, but it was devoid of any fire. There were even scraggly trees, sickly leaves clinging to their skeletal branches.

But there, in the north, I could see the light, a golden white light, marred with shadow. The light of the final gate of Tartarus.

The second gate had slowed me down enough that I could hear Twilight gasp.

“But why…” she whispered.

I didn’t reply. I just picked up my speed until I couldn’t hear her. Not thinking. Just acting.


The final Gate of Tartarus was not as well guarded as one would expect. A subconscious scream built into the gate's defences forced Hell's armies to stay down in the lower levels, lest they be driven insane. Lesser monsters such as the trolls and orcs could stay here, but not for too long. It was simply easier to keep the army near the permanent forges where they could be easily equipped. It wasn't like we had to defend our side of the Gate anyway.

At the moment the Gate was flanked by two spined towers, the many windows and balconies almost giving the appearance that they were nothing more than scaffolding. To a point, this was true. The Gate was covered in etched symbols, written in a language that even I didn't understand. I knew how they worked, though, and that was the important thing.

There was only skeleton crew here. Some orcs and trolls bustling around a raised stage lying in front of the Gate, on which sat a obsidian altar, this one unstained and undamaged, waiting to be used.

They looked up at me when I arrived, my speed bringing with it a rush of sound. I could see the confusion in their eyes. I didn't give them time to ask any questions though.

I landed with the force of a meteor, shattering the stage under my hooves. Acchreon was already by my side, glinting hungrily. Several of the trolls had been sent flying, others simply knocked to the ground by my landing. The ones closest to me were the first to die.

Acchreon flashed, and the killing began. Within seconds the four creatures closest to me were dead, their blood consumed greedily by the ash. One of them screamed, grabbing a crooked sword nearby. My horn glowed, and the sword was ripped out his hands, embedded moments later into his neck. Acchreon soared through the air, taking out the legs of another orc before it flicked downwards, smashing his skull.

Two demon pegasi took off from each of the towers, dive-bombing towards me. I thought they might have been screaming at me, but what, I didn't want to hear. I took off, pushing myself into the air. I twisted mid-flight, avoiding their attacks to speed past them. Acchreon flashed twice behind me. Two of the pegasi kept falling, crashing into the ground with sickening thwacks. Both were missing entire limbs.

I screamed in anger, the all too familiar rhythm of a fight taking hold. I turned and fell back down, racing towards the last two pegasi. One of them managed to swerve, avoiding my dramatic increase in speed. The other failed, and Acchreon speared him through completely. I landed heavily again, the ash thrown up into a cloud around me. The demon slid off my sword, the blade slicked with thick blood.

An orc charged me with a yell, and I took off his head with barely a thought. Two more tried to run, and I dealt with them in short order. I looked up to see the last pegasus also attempting to flee, flapping his scaled wings as hard as he could as he flew south.

I liked my sword. I was good with my sword, and so I normally used it in favor of magic. But with magic, I could make a creature suffer, and if there was one thing that I hated, it was cowards who fled.

My horn glowed, and a dark beam lanced out, arcing through the air to strike the demon. I heard him scream as the magic engulfed him. He fell like a stone, the energy starting a fire in flesh and paralysing him at the same time.

He would be screaming for a long while.

Small lights flickered randomly around the broken stage, the souls of the creatures I had just killed. I took a moment to slow my breathing back to a normal level. It was only then that I lowered Twilight down behind me, releasing the magic holding her prisoner. She threw up as soon as her hooves touched the ground, my speed during the fight clearly not agreeing with her in the slightest. Or perhaps it was the violence. I wasn't sure. The second I was sure she was alive, though, and able to stand by herself, I walked away, heading over to the gate.

"What... where... I don't understand," Twilight said, wiping her mouth with a hoof.

"Quiet," I said. "I must concentrate."

I focused hard on the mighty Gate, towering to well over sixty feet in the air and thirty wide. I could feel the wards in the air around me, a sickly sweet magic that felt like a cool summer breeze. They worked their way into my mind, causing me to grimace in pain. However, the fact that I was not screaming on the ground was evidence that He was almost finished in breaking them.

He had spent almost five hundred years on this Gate. Working in secrecy, trying to keep the Princesses from realizing anything was wrong. He even had placed imitation wards, or in some places learned how to unravel the magics, leaving them intact till the last minute. And that minute was now.

An explosion of thunder rocked the air behind me. I turned, and saw with a frown that the burning clouds were even closer now. The army was on the march. I just hoped they were not racing here, knowing of what I was about to do.

"What are you doing?" Twilight whispered, watching me carefully.

"I have already told you," I murmured in reply, refusing to look her in eyes for more than a second.

I focused on the runes around the Gate, bringing them to life, muttering various words and phrases in many different languages as I did. Each one I focused on began to glow red or orange, and a strange whispering filled the air, a dark language rightly forgotten by the world.

My horn grew brighter and brighter as I worked. I was an alicorn, and this Gate was made by alicorns, crafted from their magic. Few had the power to open such a gate, but I was one of them. I knew the magic. This type of magic was old as time itself, and it was the type of power that all the true alicorns lived from. It was the magic that created them. It was neither good nor evil, for I guessed it had little time for such subjective perspectives, and it responded to my call without hesitation.

I had to gasp when the seal running down the middle of the door began to glow. I started to walk backwards as the earth began to shake, a metallic screech filling the air. Twilight threw herself to the floor, covering her ears with her hooves, trying to block out the noise.

I simply stared in awe as the gate began to move. It shuddered open, sliding inwards on unseen pivots, a burning white light pouring through and assaulting my senses. I shrunk away, temporarily blinded by the light. It was gorgeous, a reassuring and warm sensation that itched at my skin and burned my eyes.

The doors stopped moving with an ominous boom. There was a silence as I stood there, not moving, my eyes scrunched shut against the light.

And then she spoke quietly, disbelievingly, "The... sun?"

Slowly, I inched my eyes open, easing them apart. "It's the sunlight," I said, squinting. "It's the sun..."

"What are you doing?" Twilight said, taking a step away from me. "What kind of torture is this?"

I ignored her for the moment and walked forward. I was barely twenty paces away from the Gate, but I could already feel what was left of the wards. They gripped onto me, pressing me back. I struggled forward, grunting as the force stopping me began to press down. My legs threatened to buckle, and so I stopped, panting, not yet ten paces from the Gate. I couldn't go any further. If I did, the pressure would force me down, trapping me in place where I would even be unable to crawl back.

Looking up, I could see the day. It was veiled and muddled, a great haze separating me and the surface properly, but I could still make out shapes beyond. I could see a tree, the green of its leaves moving gently. I could see figures moving outside, the light glinting off their clothes. I was so close... And in only a few hours, I would have been free.

But by then, it would be too late. The world would be no more.

A screech filled the air, working its way into my bones and leaving an icy chill that gripped at my insides. The scream endured for almost ten seconds, the end of which I was shaking in place, trying to stay upright, trying to fight the urge to lie down and close my eyes.

I knew that scream. That scream meant one thing: Beelzebub was coming. The Gate was open now. He would know. They would all feel it; they would all know. And if they knew, they would know who was responsible.

They knew, and they were coming. And their wrath would be a sight to behold.

I turned and forced myself back to Twilight. With every step I made walking away from the Gate, I could move easier and faster. By the time I reached her, I could barely feel the wards at all.

I raced over to the unicorn. She was lying in the ash, rocking herself silently. Beelzebub's wraith's scream had left her shuddering, barely unable to move.

"Twilight!" I exclaimed. "Get up!"

"Make it stop," she moaned. "Please make the screaming go away..."

"I can do that, Twilight, but I need you to get up, ok?" I automatically used simpler language in an attempt to calm her down. I wasn't sure why; honestly it felt a little silly.

"You can make it stop?"

"I can."

She stared at me, her eyes unconvinced, confused and desperate. "But why?"

"Because you do not deserve this."

She looked at me. "I don't understand.”

I smiled at her. "Neither do I." I stood up properly, helping her to her hooves with one of my own. "Now, do you know what you must do?"

Twilight shook her head, still disorientated.

"You have to go through the Gate, Twilight. You have to run through the Gate and go find your friends, the other elements. They are the only thing that can seal Tartarus again. You have to find them and you have to use the magic of Harmony. Can you do that?"

"But my horn..." she whispered, subconsciously reaching up to touch her bloodied wound.

"That will not interfere with the magic," I replied. "And ask Celestia about that. She repaired mine once; I am sure she can do the same for you."

"But I thought you hated her?"

I barked a laugh. "I do. But I do not hate you, nor do I hate the surface. You do not deserve to suffer for my mistakes, Twilight. It is time I put things right. A pony changes in the strangest ways."

"But why do this for me?"

I gave her a small smile. "Because I am a traitor." And your eyes are just like Hers. But I didn't say that out loud.

There was another scream. A different one, a dragon's roar.

"Go, Twilight. Go."

I watched her eyes go wide. "But what about the ponies down here? There are slaves still down here! I can't leave them!"

I clenched my jaw shut in frustration. There was no time! And so I took the fall. "What makes you believe I would let them escape with you? Get out of here! Go!"

"They'll kill you. They will torture you forever." I couldn't work out why in Hell's name she wasn't running. Daylight was just behind her!

"You endured," I replied, "and so will I. Now GO! Run! Fly you fool and never return! Seal this place away!"

Twilight looked torn. She lifted a hoof and began to move away. I watched her, my eyes darting. I could hear them. The low roar, the oncoming storm.

She paused, and I snarled. I encased her with magic and threw her forward, sending her towards the Gate. Only, my magic dissipated in the wards, and she landed in a neat pile on the ash covered stone. She stood up, looking at me in horror.

"Run!" I screamed. "Don't look back, just go!"

She looked at me, her eyes shining with tears. Her mouth moved, but I couldn't hear a thing coming from it. She was already too close... too far away. I could lip read though.

"Thank you," was all she said, her eyes saying so much more.

I opened my mouth... and then I closed it again, lowering my head a fraction.

She nodded once, and then she turned and sprinted out into the daylight. There were figures already waiting for her just beyond the veil. I prayed that they asked questions before attacking. I watched for a moment longer to see her being raced away before I sighed in relief.

The earth trembled.

I was running out of time. They would be here in a matter of minutes. I got to work. My horn began to glow again, and I went to work reversing the process I had undergone in opening the Gate. One by one the runes glowed bright before going out, and I swung the doors shut. I spent a moment adding my own seal to the existing wards. Anything that would buy Twilight more time.

Beelzebub and I may not be able to leave, but already the ward was weak enough that pretty much everything else could. The army would overflow the defenders, and even a handful would be enough to secure a foothold strong enough to hold while He re-opened the Gate. Unless it was sealed with the elements, He would be able to shatter any seal placed by the Princesses within hours.

With that done, I turned and walked out past the broken stage. I stood in the middle of a field of ash, completely alone, and I waited. I thought about sitting, but decided against it. Standing was just fine.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to look at the tumultuous clouds speeding across the first level to me. It was only a matter of minutes. I inhaled, pressing my hooves into the ash, only to exhale gently through my nose, keeping my eyes lightly pressed shut.

Inhale… exhale…

I smiled softly. I didn’t have any regrets. Perhaps it was arrogant of me, but in this moment, I enjoyed knowing what I was about to sacrifice for her. How altruistic of me. Perhaps Luna would begin to forgive me for what I did all those years ago.

Probably not, though. I imagined the look on Celestia’s face when Twilight told her that it was me who had set her free. Now that I would have given anything to see. Her arrogance would not have let her take that with good grace. It is easier for her to think of me as scum, I am sure.

The ground shook, a great wind picking itself up from the south, little tendrils of air reaching out to snag at my mane and tail. A moment of thought, and all the ash being blown into my face suddenly ceased, a small buffer placed between me and it.

I heard several beasts cry out, their roars seeming faint and vague, almost as if I was underwater.

How strange.

Great pulses of air began to buffet me. Wing beats. I kept my eyes closed; though I let my magical senses go wild. In front of me, coming in to land, and quickly were about seven figures. All of which I recognized.

Beelzebub had arrived.

Aurvandil!” he screamed, his voice bellowing out across the entirety of the first level. “What have you done?!

It was only then that I opened my eyes. Beelzebub jumped off his winged beast, landing with the athletic grace of a warrior who had spent his entire existence fighting. His eyes were no longer dull and lifeless; now they burned with a fury that would melt steel. Five greater demons stood with him, their wings spread wide and their horns glowing. I knew each of them by name, for they were Beelzebub’s retinue, his own high champions. Some were so old I had fought them back in the elder days.

It seemed some fights never end.

“I let her go,” I said calmly.

You traitor!” he roared, saliva flying from his mouth. “I should have torn your soul from your body and set it alight the day you came to us! Do you know what you have done?”

“You can say some truly imbecilic things, Beelzebub, but that might just have been the most idiotic sentence to ever leave your mouth.” Oh, that felt nice. I wasn’t just prodding the dragon with a stick now; I was pouring molten lead in its eye.

“I will tear you apart, Aurvandil,” he snarled, Petrisis forming into existence next to his head. The greater demons around him did the same with their own weapons.

“You will try,” I corrected.

“No. I will succeed. You have sacrificed your power here now. You are no longer bound to Him. You are outnumbered. You are alone.”

“I am very good at what I do, Beelzebub.”

“And He will make you suffer for all eternity for it! Already He readies Himself, drawing what strength He has left. Do you know what for? So He can see to you personally with some resemblance of a body. He will make you eat yourself, only to regenerate again for another day. He will set fires in your flesh, infect you with cancers that will destroy you slowly. He will whisper to you every day until you have broken completely. You will never be rid of Him.”

“Then so be it. You will never see the surface now.”

But why?!” he roared, his voice no longer quiet and rasping. “Why have you done this?! What possibly could have led you to this course of action?!

I looked him in the eyes, a small smile on my face. “I am a traitor, Beelzebub. Some things never change.”

He opened his mouth in disbelief, and then to my surprise, he closed it again, shrugging. “It is irrelevant. The army is minutes behind us. He is destroying the last of the wards now. The second you die they will break out from that Gate like water from a dam. The world will still fall despite you. If one greater demon escapes, the elements will be powerless to stop us.”

“Or so you hope.”

Beelzebub snorted. “So be it.”

He nodded his head once, and the greater demons took to the sky, circling round swiftly to surround me completely. The demon prince strode forward, his limp nowhere to be found, and his eyes still burning malevolently. Petrisis hissed through the air as he swung the blade in large arcs with his magic.

I pulled Acchreon close to my face, kissing the flat of the blade. “Don’t fail me now, my friend,” I whispered. I lowered my stance, tensing my muscles like a spring.

Beelzebub stopped a few paces in front of me, an incredulous smile on his face. He shook his head, almost chuckling to himself.

I exhaled, waiting for him to make his move.

Beelzebub just continued to shake his head. Then he looked up and spoke very clearly and simply, almost as if it were the punch line to some great joke.

“You’re going to die.”

And then they attacked.

Acchreon met Petrisis with an explosion of sparks, our horns glowing as we fed our power through the weapons. We both snarled as we pushed forward, trying to get an advantage through strength alone. Before either of us had a real chance to put any weight behind our attacks, the greater demons soared downwards, attacking me from behind.

This was going to be a nightmare.

I jumped backwards, lowering myself unnaturally quickly to slip underneath a blade aimed for my neck. I spun around as I moved, parrying another blow to then slash widely at a third attacker. They were sweeping past one by one, refusing to give me any real quarter.

I jumped to the side to dodge an attack by Beelzebub, relying purely on my senses to warn me of the strike; his blade was moving faster than I could see. My jump landed me several feet to the right where I was instantly attacked by another of the greater demons. I grit my teeth, parrying a blow. I had no room to plan, no room to play, and I was being caged in.

My horn glowed and a ball of power rippled out, expanding as it went away from me. The demons screeched as they were thrown backwards, failing to erect shields in time. I tried following up with something a little more complex and deadly to eliminate at least one, but they were too quick for that and had been given far too much warning.

Still, using the time I had bought myself, I jumped into the air, leaving Beelzebub stranded for the time being on the ground.

The other greater demons, however, had no such problems. They wheeled around, their eyes expelling small wisps of magic as they burned. They raced forward as one, their blades glinting in the light.

Their faces lit up in surprise as I pushed forward with a magically augmented thrust from my own wings. I streaked towards them, my blade glowing as I channelled my magic through it. The demons readied their own weapons, fanning out to encircle me again.

Just before we collided, I feinted, twitching my body to draw the demon’s guard upwards. He reacted quickly, snapping his sword above his head. In that exact second, I dove underneath him, flying past at near the speed of sound. I turned my head as I went below, smiling at their stupidity, to watch the demon I had engaged plummet from the sky, his front hooves pressed to his stomach, trying to keep everything inside. He hit the ground with a sickening crunch and did not get up again. Perhaps he might with time and enough magic, but now his soul was flickering above his broken body.

The blood now coating my sword bubbled as the heat from the blade burned it clean. The remaining four demons wheeled around and attacked again. I pursed my lips in frustration.

In what felt like hours but was probably all of five minutes, I fought the demons. Sometimes they forced me to land where Beelzebub attacked with all the fury of the ancients. Where blades failed, magic was used, and the air was filled with the stench of burning ozone as lances of power hissed and crackled as they were sent flying.

Each time I got away from Beelzebub, I was able to fight much better. Two more greater demons fell, leaving only another two. But with each passing minute, it became a little harder to react as quickly as I had to. I wasn’t sure what it was, though I had my suspicions about it being the Gate’s doing, but my strength began to dissolve, a burning sensation replacing it in my muscles.

I pushed myself into the air once more, flowing my magic through my body, regenerating my strength back. This was not normal. I could have fought for days back on the surface, but here I was tiring after five minutes. Some sort of magic was at work here, but I was not sure what.

The demons pressed forward once more, the two circling from behind, Beelzebub launching a magical assault to try and keep me occupied. My shield absorbed his magic with ease, an aura of dusk grey energy that covered me completely. My blade worked at my back parrying attacks from both demons simultaneously, pressing them away with short, sharp jabs.

But then Beelzebub tried something different. His whole body became engulfed in the sickly looking glow of his own magic, lifting him off the ground. There was a bright flash, and then the magic faded, leaving, to my horror, the demon prince with two wings made of shadow sprouting from his back.

He took the sky, snarling, “I’ve had enough of this.” He didn’t give me a chance to respond, already darting forward far faster than was natural. I was forced to bring my blade back around, deflecting his attacks with lightning speed. The other two demons attacked again, and so I started to dart through away, trying to create some space.

It was like a dance the way we moved through the air. My three opponents would separate from me, circling to come back around for another attack. Each time, our shields would hiss as they connected, our blades showering the ground in sparks. I was trying to be three places at once, spinning my sword around my body as I blocked attack after attack, each one never in the same place twice.

I tried to use magic, but there was a reason I preferred my sword; I was simply better with it, and it was far more effective against shields. But fighting three swords at once… I was hard pressed.

I deflected a blow behind me without looking, letting the blade skate off, the powerful strike sending his weapon far too low. Sensing the opportunity, I flicked my sword around, pressing the attack. Once, twice, each time he just managed to defend, but on the third strike, I pushed backwards, breaking the timing of his wing beats, and I slipped inside his guard. I snarled as I pushed Acchreon forward, the blade becoming embedded in the demon’s chest. He screamed, my sword burning at his soul.

But, and far too late, I realised that I had over extended myself. Beelzebub’s sword was racing towards me, and there was no way I would be able to pull my own sword out in time. Without another thought, I dropped to the ground, putting every bit of magic into my shield. The blow cut though it like paper, the only thing keeping me alive being the rate I was already falling. The sword still cut deep into my shoulder, and I screamed as the metal began to burn, the flesh already rotting. I jerked, my magic fighting with his to tear the blade out.

As soon as I landed, I rolled to the side, forcing Beelzebub to remove his sword lest I rip it away. I grimaced as I leapt to my hooves, my shoulder sending spikes of agony rocking through my body. I shuddered to think what the wound actually looked like.

The body of the greater demon landed next to me, still and lifeless. I jumped towards it, encasing Acchreon with my magic, pulling the weapon free. Beelzebub was already there, his blade hissing as it blurred through the air. I managed to parry the blow, just, but he was already attacking again, stepping forwards with each strike. He kept his attacks close to the body, forcing me to shrink my guard into an awkward position as I tried to keep him at bay.

The last remaining demon came from above. I rolled to the side, but, and again far too late, I realised that this had been deliberate.

I watched, almost in slow motion, Beelzebub’s sword jabbing forward, directly into my path. I tried to bring my sword around; I tried to move his blade with magic, but I could do little more than watch as Petrisis sunk itself deep into my chest, slipping between two plates of my armour.

I screamed. My entire body felt like it was on fire, the flesh decaying as the sword hissed, eating at my insides. I screamed until my lungs collapsed, torn open by his blade and their dark magic. I crumpled, hard, barely aware of the fact until I was staring at the ash, writhing on the ground.

Fire. Burning fire, black fire. It was eating me from the inside out. It hurt so much. I tried to scream but I couldn’t. I couldn’t do anything other than feel the fire burning me.

And then it was gone, the blade jerked free, leaving my flesh sizzling. I coughed, my lungs finding no purchase on the air. There was just nothing going inside. It wouldn’t kill me, but I was pretty sure the damage to do just that had already been done.

My mind still felt like it was on fire; that was the weapon’s effect on my soul. It had been tearing it apart, shredding it like paper. My body shook, the pain leaving me crippled.

Beelzebub stepped over me, rolling me over to my side. I looked at him, his entire face filling my vision.

“You…” he said softly, almost as if to himself, “are a fool.” There was a flash, and I tried to scream again as he ripped my wing clean off, holding it within his magic.

Petrisis flashed, and I was certain I was suddenly missing a leg. My outer body was growing numb, so I wasn’t sure.

With my ear pressed to the ground, I could hear the ground shake, a rhythmic shudder that sent tremors down to the earth’s core. It was the sound of a great army marching. Shapes were moving around me. The army. It was here. The door was still closed, though; there was still a chance.

“You cannot learn,” Beelzebub continued, pressing the point of his sword into my neck. “You just do not learn! The world will burn! The world will burn and you will suffer for all eternity because you just did not learn. You are a traitor, Aurvandil, and I am surprised I ever thought you would be anything more.”

I tried to speak. I did. I put everything into the simple act of speaking, but when I couldn’t even breathe, all that came out was a wet gurgling noise. I was surprised at even that.

“Fool. Harmony will fall-” He stopped, his face suddenly leaving my field of vision. It was getting darker, which felt incredibly strange. Dying down here… the damage done to my soul would prevent me from being sent to the void… My soul would be trapped for His torment.

I guess I had always known that would happen…

Without warning, the world turned white. More specifically, the entire first level was bathed in a blinding white light, pouring in from the Gate. It seared away the shadow, an even greater rumble taking root in the earth.

“What...?” Beelzebub murmured somewhere above me, his voice sounding so very far away. “No…”

And then the white light vanished, replaced instead by streamers of rainbow. In the corner of my eye I could see the Gate, and I could see the rainbow light streaming in from the cracks, pooling like no light should be able to do.

It grew brighter and brighter, and the earth began to crack as it shook. Rainbow light, burning rainbow light. I remembered the last time I had seen that.

Twilight…

I tried to smile.

There was an explosion, and all the sound in the world vanished as if sucked into a vortex. Everything was silent…

A moment passed…

And then the world exploded again. The rainbow light tore forwards, washing over the entirety of the first level, heading south towards the army. Beelzebub screamed as he was engulfed, a primal scream of defiance that tore his own vocal chords.

But it was useless. The light dissolved him, tearing his soul from his body as he was banished once again to the seventh level. The other greater demons vanished in the blink of an eye, suffering a similar fate, as did the screaming shades. The marching sound stopped abruptly and never picked up again.

The light grew so intense that I could see nothing else. I didn’t want to close my eyes in fear that they would never open again. I waited and waited, the light washing over me, doing… something.

The fire in my flesh abated, the wounds to my soul eased as it was knitted back together. I continued to lie still, drinking in Harmony’s light. It had been far too long since I had been able to do that…

And then, the light disappeared. It faded away, leaving Tartarus silent, devoid of absolutely anything that could move.

I tried to get up. I tried to roll over. But I couldn’t. I frowned. My vision… the world was suddenly so much darker without the rainbow light. I could barely see three feet in front of me now.

Huh. I couldn’t move… I felt better. In fact, I felt... good. Except I couldn’t… move… I couldn’t see… and I could barely think straight.

It was perfectly fine, though, because Twilight had succeeded. I’ll be damned; it hadn’t all been for nothing this time. My plan actually worked. She was safe and home with her friends, her and her purple eyes, the light inside them still burning brightly.

I felt so tired. My bones ached, and my mind felt clouded, slow and unresponsive. I was pretty sure that the Gate was still making me tired. I tried to breathe, but I found that I still couldn’t. Some wounds… some wounds went too deep, it seemed.

Her eyes used to look like that as well, burning with that beautiful spark. They probably still did. I would like to think they did. They were always… always my favourite…

Always my favourite.

I smiled… and closed my eyes.

I opened them again… and I saw the Stars.

I was free.


Hey guys, thanks so much for reading this one! I would like to give a massive shout out to my editor, Sessalisk, to whom I owe everything as a writer.

Like this? Then chuck us a watch because I have a lot more work coming your way!

Also, do you want to see the story that finally inspired me to write my own version of pony hell? If you do, then go check out Shortskirts and Explosions' story The Last Tears in Tartarus. There is a reason he is one of the best writers in the fandom!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this, because I know I had fun writing it.

Till next time!

- Mystic

Comments ( 25 )

Chapter 3 is pretty good! 5/5 !
The description of how he thinks of Luna and what he acts is awesome.

Really glad to read your new story.
I enjoyd The Sun Whisper Your Names
And I also enjoy this.

I recently read Immortal Games and your newly updated fictions too.
Oops. I like this kind of fictions. :D
Great battle scene!
GJ!

I liked it. Really well done.

1097185 Hehe, I'm glad you enjoyed it! And there is something important to know in this fandom, and that is epic adventure is the best genre. Hands down, without a doubt. Ponies and action, they just go so well together!

1097268 Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

1097359 Meme references in the comments. Oh yes! Heights of fame now! Hahaha. Thanks for reading! :twilightsmile:

This story is both beautiful and epic. Really can't think of any other way to describe it. Very well done.

1097563 Exactly what I want to hear! I am very happy to see that you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for reading and for taking the time to comment; it really means a lot! :twilightsmile:

Loved it! You receive 5 Spike for it:
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Really enjoyed it :yay:

Only real complaint is that it could have been a bit longer. His change of heart was somewhat abrupt.

I never know what to say when fics reach their conclusion...

Short? Yes. Great? Also yes. Epic fantasy is best fantasy, and you are awesome at writing it :twilightsmile:

1090052 HEY! I was right!:flutterrage: Version A) from my last post did come true, but you cheated and resurrected him with the Orbital Freindship Canon :rainbowwild:

Besides that it was a very nice chapter and, as 1097185 already pointed out , the descriptions of his thoughts about Luna were especially entertaining :twilightsmile:

Mucho gracias, thank you very much and vielen Dank for uploading this a day early. I'm really feeling satisfied now.
This chapter made my day indeed, even if it was kinda hard to read. Got seven times interrupted alone at the big-bad-gate-scene. And I'm not talking about the battle! :pinkiesick:

She was broken.

--The pleasure!

And now, tell me, is this finished? This could be an acceptable ending and the ending-credits are indicating something like that, too. But still, it's tagged as 'incompleted'. Sounds like an 'everything is super-duper cool, you saved Twilight and now we all love you again'-epilouge to me. :trixieshiftright:

P.S. Is there something like a premium-watching-function to get rid of the commercials? :trollestia:

1097641 Hehe, thanks! :twilightsmile:

1097980 Yeah, I was worried it would come across like that. It was the risk I took making him so compulsive and driven by his emotions naturally, haha. Still, I am glad you liked it!

1098536 Epic is definitely what I was going for! Haha. Thanks for reading! :pinkiehappy:

1098606 Resurrect him? Oh heavens no! He saw the stars at the end, yet when the gates open the sun shines in... :trollestia: A different kind of freedom for him. You don't get off scott free after what he'd done.

1098617 You never saw it being tagged as incomplete... It was all just a dream!

Anyway, I am glad that you liked it overall! I know I sure enjoyed writing it, haha. Dark stuff can be a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks for reading!

1100744 Yeah, I like longer chapters myself. Around 10k is a nice middle ground, I feel. Still, one day I want to write a 20k chapter. Just... well... because, haha.

Poor Twilight, hahaha. She cops so much! I feel so bad for doing such terrible things to her. She needs some love and TLC!

1103596 Pffff... Redemption trough dead is... easy :duck: The eternal void or making him live with the shame and conscience pangs poisoning every moment o his very existence - that's the spirit! :trollestia:

1103596

Oh man, i finaly read through chapter 3 and it was amazing. From the moment he saw Luna eyes in Twilight eyes (or thought that they were similiar) I knew that he would save her at the end. I am just wondering, what happened next? Did he died, or is he sealed in hell forever with all that scum?

Also, I will soon read through more of your work, I really really REALLY like your style of writing. And it all began at the glorious "Sun whispers your name" :derpytongue2::heart:

Oh and don´t worry, Twilight will be loved enough... Tonite.. :heart::derpytongue2::derpytongue2: :rainbowlaugh:

1105460 Well I am thrilled to hear that you liked it overall! As for his fate, he's essentially dead, but his soul managed to escape the void, so in that way he gets some sort of redemption.

If you do read any more of my stuff, I really hope you enjoy it! Be careful with anything before All Paths Lead Home, however. I sucked a whole lot more before writing that story than I do now, haha. Cringe worthy, really!

fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/074/5/6/cute_twilight_sparkle_by_kenta1616-d4susae.jpg

And look at that! How can you not love that?! :rainbowlaugh:

1109739

Traitor deserves nothing more than a death.

I was reading that fic about Derpy today, and though it was little bit short it was nice... I didn´t want to spam below every fic of yours so I decided to not post there and just wait for your reply here :rainbowlaugh:

And about Twilight... Oh I think I... eem.. That I... Okay you are right :rainbowlaugh:

1110011 That derpy fic... Oh God help me. You're actually reading them. Don't say I didn't warn you! They're terrible I tell you, terrible! D:

1115001

Oh it´s not that bad you are making it to be... :rainbowlaugh: You really don´t need to worry :derpytongue2:

Thank you for the story.
I do not regret a bit about reading it now.
It is far darker than my likes are, but it is really-really good.
The only regret I have - is that I started it while there was only first chapter released - your writing is too good and images were too alive frozen in that awful cliffhanger you have there.
And have another great personal 'thank you' from me for taking time to answer to my sobs in chapter one comments and convincing me to come back to finish it.

1212584 No, thank you for giving it a shot! It means a lot to me! I'm definitely glad to hear that you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

1749278 Hehe, sure is!

1749402
That was honestly one of the best things I have ever read. Well on par with SS&E's story, without suffering from purple prose.
The pacing was good, not too fast, and without too much purple prose. The descriptions were awesome, I could really picture them in my mind. And Him... I felt the pressure of His presence over His minions, how they silently wait for hours until He aknowledged them...
The main character was really deep, and I quickly grew attached to him. Some may argue that Aurvandil's heel face turn was a bit fast, but I think he had lost his memories of Luna, replaced by his hatred of Celestia ; and he needed to be remembered this, so he could realize what he was doing. Twilight was really well done in this role, keeping hope despite everything else.

No, honestly, I loved it ! And will read it again :)

(By the way, did SS&E read it ?)

1749619 Hehe, thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate them! I am glad that you liked the descriptions and world building, because they are by far my favourite parts of this story, too.

As for whether or not SS&E read it, I am pretty sure he has no idea it exists! Haha. I know I never told him. And besides, it's probably for the better. I think I my newer stuff is a lot better ;)

Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to leave your thoughts! It means to world to me! :twilightsmile:

This was really one of the more amazing stories I have read. Not quite sure how to nail it down in words, but days later I am still thinking about it. Not sure if it was mentioned someplace, but Aurvandil is old Norse for "luminous wanderer" and ALSO the name of a breed of pony. So... wow, excellent name there. My only quibble with the story is that Celestia is oddly portrayed. I am not sure if she's really done Aurvandil wrong, or Aurvandil is the one at fault here. Honestly, the impression I get is that Aurvandil was screwed out of what he deserved all over a small snappish moment. Still not 100% sure. But if this story is connected to "Dancing on Silver Strings", then it would seem that Aurvandil, while having been bad, was motivated that way by Celestia's actions.

Alas, Mystic has not been on for two years, so I doubt she will see this.

i like this story but i think there should be more like an epilogue.

Login or register to comment