• Published 29th Oct 2018
  • 8,525 Views, 627 Comments

Mission to the Pony Planet - ersmiller



When Equestrian help is required in the world of Canterlot High, but Princess Twilight isn't responding to the journal, five girls cross over to find her. (All epilogues now complete!)

  • ...
26
 627
 8,525

PreviousChapters Next
"Green Hooves, Brown Thumbs?" A.K.A. "Not Quite Newton"

“Feel anything yet?”

Taking another slow, deep breath, eyes already closed, Wallflower extended her arms out more and put her cheek against the hard bark. She could feel the rough texture on her cheek and hands, the calm breeze through her hair and skin, but nothing else. “No.”

With a sigh, she pulled back from her hug around the tree and faced Applejack. “I think the magic’s gone.”

“That’s a shame,” Applejack replied. “Ah saw what you was able to do back in Equestria. Flowers in hours. Even Ponyjack and the others were amazed. I’m guessing that’s not a common thing there either.”

Wallflower smiled wistfully. “It was amazing, like I was completely connected to nature. I hope I can go back there again someday. Maybe even find my pony counterpart. And hopefully not freak her out in the process. I wonder what she's like”

“Hopefully we’ll find out after those thirty months are up, Ah guess.”

“And I’ll just have to go back to gardening the old-fashioned way till then.” Wallflower’s smile grew at that. “The Gardening Club’s gotten bigger lately and we’re starting a beautification project with the town. We’ll be planting all along Main street!”

“Well that’s just swell. Ah wish Ah had the time to chip in, but it’s a busy season for the farm.”

“That’s okay, Sunset will be there once she gets back from Equestria, and I’m making friends with the other club members. Pinkie helped out earlier. She made rows of sprinkles pop to aerate the soil and to get seeds in easier.”

“Heh, good to find productive uses of her candy-exploding geode.”

Applejack blinked and put a hand on her own geode. “Huh. That kinda gives me an idea.” Wallflower turned to her as she took off the geode and gave Wallflower a considering look.

Wallflower tilted her head and watched, first the geode and then Applejack’s expression. Her eyes went wide. “Whoa, whoa, wait. You’re not suggesting I try using it? Isn’t that bad? That’s your magic. I remember what they did to Gloriosa Daisy.”

“You were there?”

“I was there.” Wallflower blushed.

“Memory stone?”

“Memory stone,” Wallflower cringed.

Applejack gave her a pat on the back. “It's all in the past … whatever it was in this case.”

“Thanks. But It’ll be the present too if that turns me into a—“ Wallflower quickly ducked and looked around. Spotting no one other than Big McIntosh at a great distance she leaned in and whispered, “she-demon.”

“Ah’m sure it’ll be fine if you just borrow a little, with permission. Tell ya what.”—Applejack held out her arm, palm up with the geode sitting in the center.—“We’ll both hold it while you try to use it. See what happens.”

“Shouldn’t we wait for Sunset or Twilight? Or Sunset and Twilight?”

“Ah believe it took Gloriosa weeks and all of the geodes to fall off her rocker. We should be fine.”

“Well, if you’re sure.”

Slowly, Wallflower raised her left hand above Applejack’s right and more slowly lowered it down to the palm holding the geode. She let out a slight squeak and paused once she made contact, but they managed to clasp their hands together with the geode in between.

She cracked an eye open, only just realizing she had shut them, and took a breath when a glance over her shoulder revealed a lack of wings, glowing hair, sudden thigh-high stockings and embarrassingly short skirt, and any other telltale she-demon signs.

Relieved, Wallflower put her free hand and forehead back on the tree, Applejack moved to stay beside her, watching in silence. Wallflower’s breathing slowed, shoulders dropping into a more relaxed pose.

Eventually, Applejack felt her geode hum slightly as soft light came from within their clasped hands and Wallflower gasped.

“I feel it! You named her ‘Ginni’!”

“Granny named her,” Applejack laughed. “She’s a Ginger Gold.”

“Applejack, I can feel all the trees around us. Not for very far, but, wow! It’s working!” Wallflower giggled and hugged Ginni with her free arm and Applejack copied her with her left. “Oh. It’s been a while since Ginni’s bloomed, huh?”

“Yeah, was already an old’n when Granny was a young’n. You think you can do anything?”

“I can try.”

Wallflower pressed tightly into Ginni and went still. After a moment Applejack could feel her geode buzzing slightly and glowing brighter. Slowly, Applejack began to feel the nature around her as she did in Equestria. Muted, and somewhat muddled in comparison, but it was there. She looked up as Ginni began to glow more brightly in her mind’s eye and she saw leaves grow and a few buds start to form.

“Ginni’s blooming, Wallflower! You’re doing it!”

Most of the blooms failed to change, one even withered, but a few actually grew, maturing into full apples right before her eyes.

Still marveling at the sudden ripe fruit on what was one of her oldest trees, Applejack heard and felt a thud beside her as Wallflower’s hand slipped out of hers. Turning, she saw Wallflower on the ground, eyes practically spinning as she let out a slight moan.

“Whoa, Nelly. You okay?” Applejack asked, dropping to kneel beside her.

“Um, yeah. Just got a little dizzy. It worked?”

“You bet. Looks like five apples ready to pick in not even a minute.”

Wallflower meekly put a fist in the air. “Y-yay.” She managed a bright smile though when she looked up and saw the freshly fruited branch. “Should we try them out?” She began to try and stand.

Applejack laughed, reaching out to help Wallflower up. “You didn’t get Sunset’s power too did ya? ‘Cause that’s what Ah was thinking.”

Now back on her feet and quickly recovering, Wallflower looked around. “Where do you keep your ladders?”

“We—“ Applejack stopped and looked at the geode in her hand, then to the new apples on Ginni. “Ladders?” she asked, putting her geode back around her neck. “In Equestria, they don’t need … ladders.”

Turning back to Ginni, she pressed her palm to her geode, lighting it up and gave Ginni a love-tap of a punch.

Ginni shook, rustling her leaves.

Geode still glowing, Applejack tried again but a little harder.

Ginni dropped a few leaves and the withered bloom onto them.

“Almost there,” Applejack announced, turning around and dropping to all fours. “Just have to do this the pony way.”

Applejack planted her hands into the ground and kicked out with both booted feet.

There was a loud crack as Ginni tilted. Worried something might have gone wrong, Applejack turned and looked up just in time to catch four of the five apples.

The girls cheered and Applejack passed two of the apples to Wallflower.

They both took a bite and savored their juicy, ripe, magic-rich apples. So full of flavor they seemed to sparkle on their taste buds.

And then Ginni fell over with a deafening crash.

They stared a moment, Applejack inches away from having taken another bite.

“You killed Ginni!” Wallflower cried.

Applejack solemnly walked up to Ginni, took off her hat, and put a hand on her trunk. “Sorry, old girl. May you rest in peace.”

Wallflower copied her as best she could without a hat.

“Well,” Applejack said after a moment of silence, and a blush, “Rarity could use another closet.”

PreviousChapters Next