• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 1,536 Views, 39 Comments

Rock and Roll - PxDnNinja



Dash gets hurt and learns guitar. What happens when everyone else decides to learn something too.

  • ...
0
 39
 1,536

I wanna rock!

"This sucks!" Rainbow shouted as her friends surrounded her hospital bed. The sign above her head on the wall had her name on it, a joke the staff played given how often she had stayed in this room. It was the only room in the hospital with a name.

Rainbow Dash's room. It was simple, but it got the point across.

"Well, next time don't try to do...whatever it was you were trying to do while the wind is blowing that hard. They said you are lucky they could fix your wing. Nonetheless you have to stay off of it for at least three weeks." Twilight explained, harshly. She cared for all her friends, but Dash was constantly hurting herself while pushing to be as awesome as possible for the Wonderbolts.

"THREE WEEKS! Might as well be three months, or..." Dash started, but was cut off by everyone finishing for her.

"..three years! Yes Rainbow darling, we know how you feel. But look at it this way, you can possibly pick up a new hobby." Rarity explained, rolling her eyes at the cyan pegasus' predictable reaction. Dash simply crossed her arms and pouted while Nurse Redheart finished up the paperwork.

"Ok Rainbow Dash, you are free to go. Be back in two weeks to have your wing looked at again, and we can tell you further how long to stay grounded. If you try to fly, the bone will break again, and might shatter or push through you skin. We know you never listen, but if you ever want to fly again, do NOT try to until we say you can." The nurse explained as she put away the file and left the room. Dash looked at her friends who moved so she could get up and have a clear path to the door.

"Ok ok, I'm coming. let's get out of here."

--------------------------------

Outside of the clinic the sun shone high in the sky. The group of friends slowly made their way to the market center of Ponyville, chatting about various topics. The central point of conversation consistently fell to what sort of hobby Dash could take up while injured.

"I'm fine girls. I don't need some silly hobby while I'm grounded." Dash again insisted, dreading the thought of being stuck on the ground for weeks. Each member of her friends offered options. Fluttershy suggested helping with the animals, but the last thing Dash could think of as fun was dealing with sick creatures. Applejack of course offered a gig at the farm, but that would require waking up way to early for the pegasus. She would help her friend from time to time, but not nearly enough to dedicate weeks to it. Rarity suggested helping out with outfits, but Dash knew what that meant was "let me dress you up in wild designs" over and over. Absolutely not. Pinkie Pie just wanted to throw parties, which Dash was actually ok with, but then she realized three weeks of parties wouldn't help her healing. Plus when she hit the cider a bit to hard she would end up trying to fly. The ideas thinned as the girls all headed home one by one to deal with their individual chores, leaving just Twilight and Dash in town.

"Well Dash, you have managed to shoot down or avoid every idea we have sent your way. What do you enjoy other than flying. Surely you have done other things in your life." Twilight offered as she tried a new tactic for helping her friend. Before Dash could answer however, they bumped into a white unicorn walking out of a store with a large box. Dash recovered first and recognized the unicorn as a friend of hers.

"Hey Vinyl! Long time no see, how's it going?" She asked, happy to get a break from the pestering. Vinyl Scratch stood up and checked the box she had been moving. Inside was a new turntable, and flashy pictures on the box made it appear to be pretty high tech.

"What's up Dash! It's been way to long. I've been busy at the club keeping things going, but you know how it is. A party a night, and recording during the day." She explained, sharing a smile with the pegasus before noticing the bandages on her wings.

"Wow, what happened Dash? Crash again?" She asked, hoping her friend was ok. Dash's grin faded as she nodded.

"Yeah, pretty bad. They say I'm stuck on the ground for a few weeks, so now I'm trying to find a way to kill time." She explained, glancing around. Vinyl perked up with a grin.

"Well, I remember you used to play guitar when we were younger before you went to flight school, why not pick that back up?" Vinyl suggested. The two had played music together when they were fillies before Dash finally got accepted into the flight academy and Vinyl had learned her talent as a DJ. Twilight looked shocked to learn that Dash used to do something other than practice flying.

"Heh, I could give that a shot, Vinyl, but I don't have many bits and now I have medical bills." She explained as she looked at the store beside them. It had been in Ponyville for a short time, but was part of a chain from out of Canterlot. Vinyl waved her hand to dismiss such concerns.

"They know me in there Dash. Just let them know I sent you and they will work out a deal for you. Get back in practice and we can jam sometime." Vinyl explained before looking to the sky.

"Unfortunately I have to go. Need to get all this set up and tested before we open the club. Good luck and get well." Vinyl said, giving the pegasus and brief hug before turning and walking down the street. Twilight and Dash just looked at each other before Dash sighed.

"Ok, let's check it out. I do sorta miss it." She admitted as the duo walked into the store.

------------------------------------

Spike jumped as the door to the library slammed open and two large boxes floated in with a purple glow.

"Dash, are you sure you can afford this?" Twilight asked as the duo walked in from behind the boxes. Dash had a huge grin on her face. For somepony who had been hesitant about getting an instrument, she perked up as soon as they saw the wall of guitars. Her old excitement while playing guitar started kicking back in, and it had been dormant for years so it kicked in strong. Strong enough for her to talk Twilight into getting one for herself to learn on as well.

"Twi, trust me. They gave use a great deal. Besides, you already agreed to learning guitar as well, so no backing out." Dash explained as the positioned the boxes against the wall. Spike just watched, confused by their reference to guitars until Dash ripped open the larger cardboard box revealing a tall black amplifier. He started feeling excitement at what this could mean. Glancing at the second box, he realized it was actually holding two smaller boxes so carrying would be easier.

"This is going to be SOOO AWESOME!" Dash said, ripping the smaller box open and pulling out a black guitar. The body had a bizaar x shape and the name on the headstock listed B.C. RICH, whoever that was. Spike took this moment to move forward and see what had caused all of this.

"Dash, that looks awesome, but why do you have it. And why is it here Twi?" Spike asked the two. Dash explained how she was hurt and couldn't fly for a few weeks, which Spike expressed his sympathies for, then Twilight explained that Dash would be staying with them and needed something to kill time.

"Um..so we gotta listen to you learn how to play Dash? No offense, but isn't this overkill?" He asked, realizing that the amp would be very loud, and loud, bad guitar playing wasn't something he wanted to hear.

"No no, just gotta get back into it. I used to play as a filly." Dash explained, placing the guitar around her next and plugging it into the amp. A flip of the switch and the amp gave a slight hum from the strings slightly shaking on the guitar. Dash palm muted the strings while digging out a pick grip for her hoof.

"I will say, it has been a while, so don't expect much." Dash said as she noticed Spike and Twilight looking at her and waiting to see what she could manage. What she managed as a surprisingly fast and, as Spike was heard mumbling, epic solo. Even Twilight thought it sounded somewhat familiar. Once she finished the solo, Twilight stepped forward.

"I had no idea you could even play an instrument, and to find out you're this good is amazing. What was that?" She asked. Dash blushed a bit at the praise, but turned down the volume on the guitar to answer.

"An old song by a band I liked as a filly: Bucks n Roses. Welcome to the Jungle was one of the first songs I ever heard of theirs." Dash explained. The two watching her nodded when Spike pointed to the other box.

"Why do you have two guitars though?" He asked, confused. Twilight used her magic to open that box and glide it to her.

"This one is mine. She somehow talked me into learning the instrument. Music theory sounded interesting and doesn't hurt to learn a new skill." Twilight explained, smiling. Spike tried to smile, but faltered. Looks like he would hear loud screeching of a new guitarist as it were.

---------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: SO THIS IS A JUST FOR FUN STORY WHILE I CONCENTRATE ON MY MAIN STORY: OF LOYALTY AND CHAOS. I'LL TRY TO KEEP IT UP TO DATE AS WELL THOUGH. NEXT CHAPTER WE CAN START TO SEE HOW THE BAND FORMS. :)