• Published 27th Oct 2018
  • 1,324 Views, 38 Comments

Glimmer & Glow - Yosh-E-O



There are more ways to bottle up your emotions than you may think. Starlight learns this the hard way through Cozy Glow.

  • ...
3
 38
 1,324

Chapter 15 - Glimmer Of Hope

Starlight spent nearly the entire night going through her collection of magical tomes in search of an answer as to how to best help Cozy Glow.

“There’s got to be something about Emerald Ebon’s horn…” she pondered while recalling how it seemed to activate while inside of her old home. “And the way Minky was able to get Cozy to turn on her enchantment from when she was still a doll…
Starlight scribbled down more notes while pouring through what material she had available. She wished she had access to Twilight’s library back at The Castle Of Friendship but knew she could manage.
“After all…,” she moaned. “I did keep my ‘How to be a terrible-awful brainwashing tyrant’ books here.”

The periwinkle Unicorn opened a secret compartment with her magic and removed the books she had hoped to never see again.
“Maybe the secret lies in her Cutie Mark…?” she considered. “Maybe she just needs more help to become her own pony by being freed of what I had put inside her…?”

“Starlight,” yawned Trixie. “You really should get some sleep.”

“I will,” she yawned in response. “I just need to consider a few things first.”

Trixie toddled closer.
“Did you want me to be a good friend and stay up with you?” she asked in a way that implied she would but didn’t want to.

“Thanks, Trix,” she replied. “However I’ve got this. I actually think I’m on to something.”

The illusionist yawned.
“Good,” she yawned as she walked back towards the guest room. “It’s hard to be great and powerful without plenty and fulfilling sleep.”

“See you in the morning,” Starlight replied groggily.

“It already is morning,” groaned Trixie. “Look at your clock.”

The periwinkle Unicorn glanced at the wall clock to see that it was nearly 3:00 AM.
“Ugh…,” she sighed. “I’m getting too old for this.”

***

"Golly!" chimed Cozy upon waking up in her bed back at her adoptive parents' home. "It does feel just so peachy to be here again."

The young Pegasus slipped out of her covers and looked out the second story window. There wasn't much to Our Town but it definitely felt more like home than Twilight's school of friendship.

"You must've been really tired," remarked Minky as she peered into the small bedroom. "How is my lil' glow worm today?"

The young Pegasus felt an internal battle of emotions upon seeing the baby-blue haired Earth Pony. Part of her was almost happy to tears while the other was on the verge of throwing a tantrum.

"cozy?" Minky asked with concern. "Are you feeling okay, sweetie?"

SHOOM

Cozy felt her hooves give out from underneath her as a series of images played out around where she stood.

"I BROUGHT YOU HARMONY!" blasted starlight.

"YOU LIED TO US!" retored Double Diamond.

There was a brief pause

"QUIET!" exploded Starlight as she faced Twilight Sparkle.

Another brief pause.

"She'll pay...," growled the periwinkle Unicorn as she flipped through a series of books she had tucked away in her mountain lair. "No matter what it takes. No matter how long it takes. I'll make her pay for what she did to me. For what every pony has done to me."

"COZY!" panicked a voice. "WAKE UP! IT'S OKAY!"

PWOOM

The pink Pegasus found herself in Minky Pajamas' hooves being cradled with Ebon Emerald right beside her.

"Mama...," the blue-haired filly gasped. "Help me..."

The two older parents exchanged a look.
"Of course, sweetie," assured Minky. "Mama and dada are here for you."

Cozy was still regaining herself after she was assaulted by all those awful images of Starlight Glimmer.
"Is," she started. "Is Starlight coming?"

"Soon," replied Emerald. "Perhaps you just need some more rest?"

Cozy Glow was feeling every emotion possible all at once. However the comforting hold that Minky provided helped to keep her from being overwhelmed by the current situation.
"Can I stay with you, Mama Pajamas?" she asked with hope in her eyes.

Emerald Ebon nodded.
"I'll open the store and you two enjoy a little cuddle time," he said with a smile.

***

Emerald delighted in the work he and his wife did within Our Town. He had a sort of 'sense' for what would make a pony feel happy before hitting the hay for the day. He couldn't quite understand it but all the recommendations to come to their shop they heard about had to mean they were doing something right.

KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK

"Oh!" he gasped in surprise as he made sure all the stock looked just right. "Be right there!"

CA-CLICK!

"Hey!" the lime-green haired Unicorn greeted. "Should have figured it was you, Starlight."

"How's cozy?" asked a very frazzled Starlight Glimmer. Even when she did get to sleep she really couldn't sleep. She was running on fumes and sheer determination at this point.

"My great and powerful assistant meant to say 'Good morning'," added Trixie. "she didn't really sleep well last night."

Emerald took a closer look and could see the posture of Starlight was not one for some pony who had rested well. Her eyes also drooped and appeared bloodshot.
"I'm sorry you didn't sleep well, Starlight," he stated. "Though, if it's any small comfort, our shop is ideal for getting that good night's sleep you've been having a hard time getting."

"Thanks, Emerald," she said. "I need to see Cozy. I think I know how to help her."

Trixie nudged her friend.
"Being a bit too blunt," she whispered with concern. "Not very 'friendly'."

Exhaustion had definitely taken it's toll on Starlight. However, if she was right, she knew she could help Cozy be her own pony and she didn't want to waste a moment of time making it so.

"Come on in," welcommed the green-eyed Unicorn. "cozy Glow is upstairs with the Mrs."

"Is she okay?" panicked Starlight.

Emerald waved out his hoof and smiled.
"Her eyes seem a different color than I remember," he noted. "Outside of that, though, she seems the same Cozy we brought in from that relentless search for her friend."

"So you noticed the eyes?" Starlight pressed.

"Hard to miss," shrugged Emerald. "I was guessing it was a result of all that messing with Equestria's magic she did. Kind of one of those side-effects you hear Unicorns talk about when performing difficult, or new, magic."

The periwinkle Unicorn put a hoof to her chin.
"Hmm," she considered. "You make a good point there, Emerald."

"I do?" he replied with surprise.

"Actually," continued Starlight. "Would it be okay if you and Minky closed the store for the day? I could really use your help to help Cozy Glow."

"Of course!" exclaimed the black-coated stallion. "We'd be delighted to do anything we can to aid in making our lil' glow worm be happy."

Trixie glanced around the shop.
"Bedtime stuff?" she asked. "We definitely need to get you some, Starlight. Not to be picky but your old house feels and smells like, well, old house."

"Not now, Trix," Starlight replied. "We've got more pressing matters."

"Geez," frowned the illusionist. "Remind me to not be around when you haven't gotten enough sleep."

"Starlight?" wondered Cozy from the upper floor. "Is that you?"

"Yes!" the Unicorn replied. "It's me and I've got a plan!"

Trixie and Emerald watched as Starlight galloped towards the stairs and headed upward.

"Excuse me," stated Trixie as Emerald went to follow after the former tyrant of the town. "I'd like to apologize for my grumpy and impatient assistant. she's not normally such a, well, grouch."

"She cares for cozy," Emerald replied. "Plus, for some reason, I have a really good feeling."

"A feeling?" baffled Trixie as she noticed the ebon Unicorn's horn gently glow a shade of green. "You don't say..."