• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 2,346 Views, 284 Comments

Azure Days - Anzel



Sunny Day struggles with how other ponies see her. Azurite struggles with how she sees herself. Both have yet to learn that you’ve got to believe in yourself to achieve your goals.

  • ...
9
 284
 2,346

29. Settling In For The duration

I sat behind a large, hardwood desk, quietly drumming my hooves as I looked around my office. Unlike a normal lieutenant that had to share workspace, I had a private place of my own. It had the desk, a couch, a couple of bookshelves, some seats for guests, and a window. That was a big adjustment from the little shack that was out on the wall.

This space was for me to hold my ‘big important meetings’ in. Meetings that I really didn’t have. For the most part in the month I’d been in command, I’d just met with Raven here. Raven and Shining Armor. It was unnecessarily quiet, and I missed gossiping with Ice Blossom. There was no gossiping or stallion-watching here.

A knock at my open door pulled my attention back to the world around me. Radiant Orchid looked inside. “Lieutenant, a word, if you have time?”

I had time. Time was something I had a lot of. Most of my responsibility was looking at the princess’s schedule and ensuring she had appropriate protection for the various meetings. That had been hard to do initially because the unit was built wrong. That was something I was fixing.

“Of course, come in, please,” I replied.

Orchid trotted up to my desk and stood at attention.

It was just the two of us but she’d stopped being lax about protocol now that I was in command. “At ease. What’s on your mind?”

She relaxed her stance slightly. “Ma’am, I hope you won’t take this personally, but Captain Armor mentioned he was looking for new sergeants for Princess Luna’s Guard and I volunteered.”

My ear flicked. I’d heard he was doing that but hadn’t expected any of my ponies to jump ship. Although this wasn’t big surprise. “Do you feel the grass is greener there?”

“No, ma’am. Actually, I don’t. I feel like they are going to need more help and some outsider isn’t going to do it. You’ve got Storm Rider here, you don’t need me, too. And, in all honesty, you and I don’t exactly gel. I figure this is the easiest for us all.”

She was right about that. At the same time, I felt a bit down. I stood and walked around from behind the unnecessarily large desk to offer her a hoof. “You may not believe this, but I’m sorry to see you go. You’re right, though, they need a pony like you. I heard they made that big oaf over there Sergeant.”

Sergeant Orchid bumped my hoof. “You heard right. He’s very by the book, and that is my style. He’ll need some guidance though, as you say. Thank you, ma’am. I wish you the best of luck. I’m certain you’ll do better than the last few commanders.”

That wasn’t a high bar but I took the compliment. “Thank you. Please make a list of a few ponies you’d feel would be best to fill your role. Keeping my style in mind, I suppose.”

“Yes, ma’am. I’ll have it immediately,” she replied.

“Dismissed then. Good luck to you and please send Storm Rider over.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Orchid repeated before she left.

I sat back down behind my desk and drummed on it. Now I needed another sergeant. I’d already hired two new ones as part of my strategy to reorganize the House Guard into a proper section with more realistic coverage. The traditional system may have worked well for pomp and ceremony, but it sucked when it came to actual protection.

Orchid had also unknowingly made a decision for me. One that I’d been struggling with. Despite us not seeing eye to eye, I had never doubted her as guard.

Storm Rider knocked on my door. “Ma’am, Orchid said you wanted to see me?”

“Yes, come in, and at ease,” I ordered all at once before adding, “I assume you know she’s transferring?”

He nodded. “I tried to talk her out of it. I told her it was a mistake and that you were better than you looked.”

An insult already? What I had learned quickly was that when Storm Rider said it, he didn’t mean it as an insult. He had my sense of humor. “Yes, thank you for your glowing endorsement.”

“Yes, Lieutenant. You know I’ve got your back.” He cracked a small smile. “At any rate, she was determined, and once she sets her mind to something, it’s done.”

“Isn’t that the truth,” I replied before opening my desk drawer and pulling out a small wooden box. I set it on the table and pushed it over towards him. “This is yours.”

He trotted over and scooped it up. “Well, ma’am, I’m flattered, but I don’t think we can get married. Regulations and all.”

“I’ll probably never recover from this rejection, but why don’t you go ahead and open it up?”

Storm Rider did so and his head tilted. “Huh. Really?”

“Unless you know somepony better?”

He motioned. “Orchid, but I guess she’s gone, so I’ll take it,” he replied before pulling the First Sergeant pin out of the box and putting it in place of the one he had on. “Thank you, ma’am.”

“You’re welcome. You’ve earned it, and I need your expertise. First Sergeant Skittles didn’t invest a lot of time in training me. I expect you to do better. I also need you to help me with this transition. A new lieutenant, all new sergeants, and some new faces is going to frighten everypony else.”

Storm Rider nodded. “Yes, and just so I’m clear, may I ask why we’re doing this? Not that I’m against it, I just want to have the right answer.”

It was a smart question. I motioned out the window. “Like it or not, the world has changed. We went about a thousand years without any fuss. Now we’re not even able to make it one without the princess being captured… twice.

“The time of this unit being ceremonial is over. I realize we looked the best, showed the best, and allegedly were the best, but at the end of the day, there were shortcomings.”

The stallion idly flicked his wings. “I’d like to argue, but the facts are concrete.”

“Don’t take it personally. You did what you were taught to do. Now you get a chance to lead the change. To do that, we need to act like any other security detail. More coverage, more shifts, and more responsible parties.

“That means I take nine hours, you take nine hours, and the next senior sergeant takes the other nine. It also means breaking out the two squads into three, filling the gaps with new ponies, and decreasing our coverage area. Let the palace guards handle more. They have a ton of bodies.”

Storm Rider nodded. “So we take the oath a lot more seriously.”

“I was hoping most of you were before. Swearing to give up your life for hers is something you shouldn’t take lightly.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he replied before looking out my door. “I guess the world had to change sooner or later.”

“I suppose so. Congratulations on your promotion. I expect a new example schedule on my desk by the end of day. You’re dismissed.”

“Will do, ma’am,” Storm Rider said before trotting out.

Yes, I was a real commander now. Lieutenant or not, I had an important job and I wasn’t going to fail at it. Every piece and function had to be as close to perfect as I could get it. No beast or creature or long-banished once-evil-now-good sister was going to get the princess on my watch. That was why I kept a close eye on everything, far more than the last commander. He left everything to the sergeants and they just did what they’d been trained to do.

I was going to be a far more active and participating officer just like I’d been on the wall. That meant looking at all of the paperwork, checking behind the sergeants, and actively patrolling. Trusting only your own eyes was something Sergeant Power had taught me while I was shadowing him back in Baltimare.

My office wasn’t far from Princess Celestia’s, so I walked that distance, inspecting the guards on the way. When I reached her door, I took a moment to look the two over that were keeping vigil there. They seemed good enough. I knocked three times before letting myself in.

Princess Celestia was sitting behind her desk reading a scroll. “Hello, Sunny,” she said absently.

“Hello, Princess. I didn’t have anything to do in my office so I came to do nothing in your office if that is alright with you,” I explained before seating myself on one of her large pillows.

“Oh, that is fine. I’m just going over the annual budget that parliament sent over. I could use a little distraction. This is one of the parts of being princess I dislike,” she explained before setting the scroll down.

Sometimes I forgot she actually ran our kingdom. Parliament and local governments did most of the day to day work but Princess Celestia had to approve the major stuff. “Why don’t you dump it on Princess Luna? She has to do something too, right and you’re the senior princess?” I asked.

“I can’t just dump this on her. She’s—” the princess stopped midsentence, tilted her head and then started back. “She’s going to need some responsibilities and what could be a better way to learn? Good job Sunny. I will give it to her!

“I am not senior princess though. There is no such thing. We’re equals. I want to be absolutely clear about that. This is wholly educational,” Princess Celestia said.

I nodded along. “Of course, of course. So now that you’re free, what do you want to do? Wanna make out?”

Princess Celestia tittered and shook her head. “No, thank you, though. What is the saying? Don’t mack where you work?”

That was a rule I’d broken repeatedly. “Yeah, I suppose that might be inappropriate. How about we go take a shower in a waterfall? I can arrange the security.”

“That does sound fun, but what about my afternoon classes?”

My nose wrinkled. “You do so much stuff! How did you ever have time to have tea with me?”

The princess stood and trotted out from behind her desk. Her mane flowed endlessly behind her reminding me once again I needed to ask her about that spell. “I made time for you, Sunny. I’ve always liked you and to my mind, our friendship was important enough to ensure there was time on my schedule.”

I flopped over onto my side, feeling warm and fuzzy inside. “I’m not always great at expressing my feelings appropriately and without innuendo, so I’m just going to say that if you’re trying to get me into your bed, I would rate you highly successful on your comment card.”

The princess settled on the pillow in front of me and set her hooves on mine. “You’re welcome. Do you like your new job?”

“It’s pretty cool. I like being able to keep an eye on you now that I really understand you need being looked after,” I explained honestly. “I can promise you that on my watch you’re never going to be taken. I’m not here for show.”

“I know, and that is why I chose you. Now, I have a small confession to make. A while back you asked me what I liked to do for fun. There was one more thing.”

My hooves gripped hers tighter and I leaned closer. This was going to be amazing. “What is it? You can tell me! I won’t even tell Dolly, I swear.”

Princess Celestia winked at me. “I like to play little harmless pranks. Would you like to do a prank with me?”

“Yes! Please, right now!” I blurted out.

The princess happily clapped her hooves. “Hurray! What should we do?”

Was she leaving it up to me? This was brilliant. “How about you send Twilight a letter and tell her she’s going to have to finish next month’s schedule early?”

“You know I don’t want to help contribute to this rivalry between you and Twilight,” the princess said but I could see the corners of her lips pulling into a grin.

“But you’re going to do this one thing because you know it is an awesome prank?”

She nodded. “Yes, yes, I am, but this also counts as your birthday present!”

“Deal!” I squeaked before rubbing my hooves together. This would be awesome. Changing Twilight Sparkle’s schedule in any way would mess with her so bad! If only I could see the look on her face.

Princess Celestia floated a piece of parchment between us and started to write out the letter. I pointed a hoof at it. “Change that to make it sound like you’re in a bind and need it for something.”

“Excellent idea!” the princess replied.

We worked on it a few moments before she rolled the parchment into a scroll and sent it off. Idly she rubbed her hooves together. “And now we wait.”

I glanced at the clock. It was nearing my planned time to check on my sergeants. They’d each show up at my office, and if I wasn’t there, that would not be a good start to the new regime. “Let me know how it goes,” I said before getting up.

The princess looked surprised. “And where are you going?”

“I have to do my job, but I’ll come back when I’m off. As much as I’d like to goof off more, I realize that I need to be a responsible adult.”

“That is very mature. I’ll see you later then,” the princess said, a little pride creeping into her voice. That made me feel good.

“Yes, you will! We’re having a slumber party tonight,” I called as I trotted out of the door. Before she could respond, I shut it with my magic. With that done, I pranced my way down the hall to my office. A pony didn’t have to be stuffy to do this job. A little fun could be mixed in.

When I reached my office, the mail carrier had just dropped off my memos, mail, and other official documents. The wall didn’t get mail service but Lieutenant Sunny Day, Commander of Princess Celestia’s House Guard did!

She got mail service, but not mail, because nopony had anything to say to her usually. “Trixie has been gone a while and I still occasionally slip into the third person,” I muttered as I sat behind my desk and pulled the stack over to go through it.

Memo, memo, memo, critical order, memo, and a letter! That was exciting until I read the return label. Mrs. Cheerful Sun and Mrs. Fuzzy Yarn. I pulled the letter out, sighing to myself already.

Dear Sunny

Our mom has written to let me know about your most recent success. To be honest I was surprised.

“Yeah, that sounds about right. Condescending and you’re not even here!”

Fuzzy felt that wasn’t fair and pointed out your many positive qualities and that the Royal Guard does not randomly put ponies into important positions.

“Thank you, Fuzzy, I’ll incest you any time you like.”

To be honest, we had a long argument about it. In the end she prevailed as she often does. Never marry a fierce debater. As I want to be the bigger mare, I would like to extend my congratulations to you. You’ve achieved something few ponies could ever hope to do and I am proud for you.

This was the worst apology letter ever.

I know you will do well in this new role and I wish you all the success you’re capable of.

Your sister, Cheerful Sun

Literally the worst apology letter ever written by a pony. She didn’t even say she was wrong or that she was sorry! There was a second page. A lecture, perhaps? I flipped to that one.

Sunny, your sister worked really hard on this. She’s trying to say she is sorry and that you’re not immature in regards to your career. She lacks the capability to do that at this time, but I’ll keep working on it.

As we are now family and I find you hilarious, I don’t want to go years without being able to see you. Please be the actual bigger pony and write her. Give her some kind of win.

Fuzzy

P.S. She does not know I slipped this into the letter.

I quietly snickered and hugged the letter against my chest. Fuzzy was amazing. How she ever fell for my sister I’d never know. Perhaps they were just great together in bed.

“Alright, Fuzzy, for you I can be the bigger pony,” I mused before leaning back. How about that? Cheerful Sun was trying to tell me I wasn’t a screw up. Amazing.

It seemed like the world had changed after all. My sister was coming around, I was going to spend more time with Princess Celestia without having to be at school, and I had the job of my dreams. All it took was hard work, focusing on what was important, and knowing the princess!

Life was going well. Now all I had to do was keep doing the right thing and proving to everypony else that I could do my job. That was a task I had no intention of screwing up or slouching on. Princess Celestia needed to be protected but also allowed to have fun.

I knew without a doubt that I was the best pony for that job and that knowledge gave me confidence. This was exactly where I was meant to be, so I intended to make the most of it.

Author's Note:

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, Q&B AU wiki, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon. We have monthly art give aways, a Q&B Discord RPG, a several other fun gifts for patrons.