• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 2,344 Views, 284 Comments

Azure Days - Anzel



Sunny Day struggles with how other ponies see her. Azurite struggles with how she sees herself. Both have yet to learn that you’ve got to believe in yourself to achieve your goals.

  • ...
9
 284
 2,344

17. Strike Out

It didn’t matter what day of the week it was; the palace was currently the place to be. We’d cited a record number of ponies and I would have thought that after that, things would calm down. Things should have calmed down! After all, didn’t ponies have jobs? I had a job!

Lieutenant Daisy pushed the door to the office open and wandered in with a mug in her hoof. “Day.”

“Hey, Daisy. Seven contacts to report, but I’m pleased to say the gift shop is fine. The tour guides have figured it out,” I said while pushing the log towards her.

She sat down and sipped from the mug. “Alright. Your girl Roxie get it all together?”

I blinked. “My ‘girl’? What does that mean?”

Daisy’s eyes came up off the log to look at me. “Aren’t you two a thing?”

“A thing? No! Where did you hear that?”

“In the shower,” she replied dully before going back to the log.

“We’re just friends.”

“Mmhmm,” she muttered. “I relieve you, ma’am.”

My eyes narrowed. “I stand relieved, ma’am.” As I trotted out, I called, “Lieutenant Daisy has the wall!”

Roxie and I had never been a thing. The rumor mill needed to get its story straight!

I turned the corner quickly and took two steps before coming to a sudden stop to snap to attention. Shining Armor was coming down the hall in my direction, dressed in his Captain of the Canterlot Guard’s armor.

It was purple and gold, a throwback from the last time Princess Luna had been around. At least, that was what I’d been told now that Princess Luna was back. Suddenly little things here and there around the palace were related to her. Princess Celestia had included them in the designs. Maybe she assumed Luna would return? Assumed or hoped.

When Shining Armor approached, his eyes seemed slightly glazed over and as he went by, he didn’t even acknowledge me.

“Sir?”

He stopped and blinked at me. “Oh? Sorry, Lieutenant. I was in my head. Carry on.” Then he was off.

That was weird. He probably had a lot of stress with his job and the wedding. Still, it wasn’t like him to ignore ponies. Especially me. Even if our mythical threesome was no longer fate, I was still hot. Ponies should look!

We were both in uniform, though, so running after him wouldn’t have been a great idea. I just went back to the direction I was going, but as I passed an open office, something pink caught my eye.

It was a perfect pink rump, actually. Lady Cadence’s rump. She was just standing there staring at a map of the city.

I poked my head in. “Planning your wedding procession?”

She jumped in surprise and whirled on me, her horn lighting up in what I thought was green energy. It quickly dispersed when she saw me. “What! I’m sorry, you startled me. No… I mean, yes. Yes, that exactly. A procession through the city when the big day comes.”

Whatever warmth that had been in her voice the previous times we’d met was gone. She sounded so cool, so short.

“Right. Sorry about that. I just saw a familiar—” Don’t say rump. “Face and thought I’d say hello.”

Lady Cadence trotted over to the doorway. “Yes, thank you. Hello. If you’ll excuse me, I have some duties to attend.” Her magic took hold of the door and slowly pushed it closed. Right into my face.

I had heard that becoming a bride sometimes turned the nicest ponies into monsters, but I hadn’t believed it. I rubbed my nose and headed on my way. There were more important things to do than deal with than rogue brides. Tonight was a date with Soarin.

A Monday night date, but a date regardless. With any luck, we’d go back to his place, since Trixie was still squatting in mine. At the same time, that might be a bad idea. Soarin was kicking off relationship vibes and that wasn’t where I wanted to be.

It wasn’t that Soarin wasn’t relationship material; he absolutely was. I was the one that wasn’t. He was looking for a pony to get serious with and for some reason he thought that was me. That was wishful thinking on a good day! Settling down for a monogamous relationship was a big step in a pony’s life, and it was one I wasn’t willing to take. One day, maybe, but not today. Not next week, either.

The thoughts that were really plaguing me was that I might have to break things off with him in the short term to spare his feelings in the long run. I didn’t want to, though. I liked being with him, I just wasn’t ready to commit to him or anypony. Was it wrong to want to be selfish and enjoy being young before settling down?

When I arrived at my apartment and let myself in, the place was clean and tidy. Trixie had figured out that if she kept her spaces neat, I wouldn’t be upset. If I wasn’t upset, I wouldn’t yell. And if I didn’t yell, she didn’t have to hear me yell.

“Trixie?” I called.

“Trixie is in the bedroom!”

That was a good place for a Trixie to be. Now that I was being less of a mentor, I was allowing myself to be a bit more of a hookup partner. I poked my head through the doorway to hopefully catch her waiting for me.

“Really?” I asked with a sigh. Trixie was belly up, on the bed, lying on top of what I assumed were all her earnings. There wasn’t an insignificant amount, either.

“Trixie is enjoying the success that you and Dolly have helped her build! Come wriggle in bits with her!”

Bits weren’t really my thing but they meant a lot to her, so I trotted over, hopped onto the bed, and flopped over beside her. “You’ve got a lot of bits here. Where did they all come from?”

“Trixie just said! From you and Dolly. Dolly pays Trixie now for her shows. Fans fill her tip jar! Trixie is becoming financially independent.” She wriggled closer. “Are you having your date tonight?”

“I am, but I’m worried about it,” I explained. “I think Soarin wants to be more than just friends with benefits.”

“Isn’t that good? Isn’t he a stud?”

I bit my lip and hiked my shoulders in a shrug before rolling over to look at her. “For most ponies it would be. I’m just not into that yet. Are you looking to settle down?”

Trixie shook her head. “No! Trixie seeks fame and fortune first. Love can come later.”

“Exactly! I want to be a royal guard and try out a lot of ponies first. So how do I express that to him without hurting him?”

“I duh nuh,” Trixie toned before wiggling about on her bits.

I rolled my eyes. “Gee, thank you. I’m going to get cleaned up for my date. What are you going to do tonight?”

Trixie’s head poked up and she replied, “Pretty much this.”

That brought a chuckle up in me. I reached over patted her nose. “Okay, have fun with that.”

My pre-date ritual was something I rarely deviated from if I could help it. I always began with a nice lukewarm shower. Some ponies don’t know this, but if the water is too hot it can damage your mane, so when I planned to shampoo I always used lukewarm water.

Shampooing was part of the ritual. Once that was done and I was clean, I’d hop out and dry myself off completely. That was so I could apply coat and mane glitter. Everypony loved glitter and a sparkling Sunny was more appetizing.

Once I was glittered it was time to decide on a mane style. A bun said serious business. Flowing said flirty. Short meant anything could happen and pig tails were pretty much an attempt to look younger. For the date I had in mind with Soarin I was just going to leave it long and down.

I trotted out into the bedroom and over to my closet. Trixie was still wiggling back and forth on her bits. Good for her! I pulled out a light blue t-shirt that matched Soarin’s coat and pulled it on. “How do I look?” I asked.

Trixie sat up and looked me over. “It would be enough to get me into your bed.”

“You’re already in my bed,” I teased.

“It would be enough to get Trixie to push her bits off the bed,” she amended.

“That is good! Don’t wait up tonight. I’ll see you tomorrow I hope!”

“You get him!” Trixie called after me as I headed out, her words punctuated by the sound of jingling bits.

The streets of Canterlot were almost empty on Monday evenings during the later moons. There wasn’t much going on in the way of night life and the neighborhood I lived in was almost entirely that. It was easy to get over to the restaurant that Soarin had picked out for us to meet at.

It was a place called Sweet Peas. I think I’d vaguely mentioned I liked snow peas, and this was apparently the best place in town to get them. For Canterlot, it was one of the newer restaurants that went slightly against the traditional architecture and building materials that were common.

The building, as a whole, was white stone, of course. Anything less would have been a scandal. Where the owner had pushed the limit was on the porch. Nestled under the traditional balcony above and behind the all-too-common columns was rustic wood floors and a red brick wall.

Soarin waved a hoof from where he was sitting. “Hey!”

“Hey!” I called back before trotting up and sitting across from him. Eating outside at this time of year would normally be silly, but there were several small firepits blazing around the area, keeping it cozy.

He stared at me a moment and blinked. “You look awesome!”

“Me? Oh, come now, you’ve seen me like this before,” I teased. Him noticing was exactly what I wanted. Why go to all of the trouble if your date never said anything?

Soarin flushed. “Well, yeah, but not that shirt. You just look great, is all.”

“I wore it for you,” I replied, picking up a menu. “Is this the snow pea place?”

The stallion’s cheeks were still flushed through his light blue coat. He seemed happy to have a change of subject. “Yes, yes it is! Everything here is brought in daily from Ponyville. Nothing is ever frozen.”

Idly, I glanced down the menu before spotting a snow pea and mixed vegetable dish. It was served over brown rice. That was good enough for me. “That sounds nice. I haven’t really spent much time in Ponyville even though it’s so close. I know a lot of the food comes from there. Well, at least you tell me it does.”

Soarin nodded. “A lot of ponies that live here don’t go there. For me, it isn’t so bad. I just fly down and back when I want something from the farmers market. For you, it would be a hassle. Anyway, I was hoping we could talk about us tonight.”

Red alert! Red alert! We hadn’t even started dinner yet. “I mean… yes, sure. Tonight. Sometime tonight. Maybe not before dinner? Wouldn’t you like to eat first?”

“Well, it is kind of important. Maybe we co—”

“Good evening!” a lime green mare mercifully interrupted. “Can I get you started with some drinks?”

Saved by the waitress. “Yes please. I’d like a water and a glass of sangria.”

Soarin blinked and then nodded. “Yes, thank you. I’d like a water too.”

“Okie dokie, I’ll be right back!” She said before wandering off.

“Anyway, I was hoping we could talk about the direction of our relationship,” Soarin continued on, clearly not willing to let me off the hook. We’d been doing this dance a while now and it looked like the tune was coming to an end.

This was going to be an awkward dinner. I drummed my forehooves on the table. “Okay.”

He leaned across the table, trying to look me in the eyes. “I know this makes you uncomfortable.”

“Very!” I squeaked.

“Right, right. That is what I don’t really get. We’re good together, aren’t we? I mean, we’ve known each other for, what? Almost two years? Off and on at least.”

I quickly nodded. “Oh yes, we are. It’s just. Oh…”

The waitress came back over with our drinks. “Here we are. Do you know what you want to order for dinner?”

“I’ll have the snow pea and mixed vegetables please. With the brown rice,” I said before levitating my sangria up and taking a long pull from it.

In the background while I tried to figure out my feelings, I was vaguely aware of Soarin ordering. How could I make him understand?

Once the waitress was gone, Soarin looked back to me. “You were saying?”

“I was, right. So, listen. You’re totally on track with us in what you said. We are good together. We have been for a while. There isn’t anything about you as an individual that puts me off for being more serious. I know this is going to sound cliché, but it really is me.

“You can call it immaturity, selfishness, or just being different, but I’m really not interested in moving forward with anypony right now. I’d tried to warn you that I wasn’t the mare you take home to mom, and I still feel that way.

“At least for now. I can’t say what will happen tomorrow. If that means you’re hurt or upset or don’t want to see me, I completely understand and don’t blame you at all. You have every right to be. I just have to be sure I’m not lying to you.”

Soarin leaned back in his chair and held up a hoof. “I know you warned me. Call it naiveté, but I was kind of hoping I could change that. I mean, not change it! Just… I guess overcome it? Look, I’m not mad, but I do think that we’re moving in different directions and that bothers me. I really like you!”

I wanted to move away from this conversation as fast as I could. “That’s fair, and I really like you, too! What does that mean, though? I think it would be better if I understood.” Soarin was the only stallion I’d been seeing consistently lately. It would be odd if he wanted to go his separate way altogether. Not just odd, sad.

It wasn’t something I actually wanted. In fact, the idea of it soured my stomach slightly. At the same time, I couldn’t lie to him and just pretend I wanted what he wanted.

Soarin sat quietly for a moment before his shoulders hunched in a shrug. “I’m not sure. I’ll have to think about it. I like what we have, I want more, and you don’t. I’m not sure what that means yet or even how to compromise.”

“Okay,” I said softly, settling back in my chair.

We sat in silence until the waitress brought our food. “Here we are!” She set the dishes in front of us. “Are you okay, miss? Was your sangria not good?”

I forced a smile and shook my head. “No, it’s fine. Thank you.”

“Alright then, I’ll just leave you two be,” she said before backing off.

This was awkward. Painfully awkward. I reached out with my magic to snare my fork and idly poked at my meal. “How is work?” I asked, unable to let the wordless meal go any longer.

“It’s going well. I’ve been told I have what it takes to make the big league if I keep my head down and work hard.”

“Isn’t that a huge deal? Especially after so recently making the Canterlot Squad?”

Soarin nodded. “It is, actually. They say I’m a natural and have the right work ethic.”

“I’m not surprised. You’re not what I think of when I think of celebrities. It’s never seemed to be about the fame and attention for you. You just want to be the best at what you do, right?”

“Yes. Yes, that is exactly it. It’s just, if I’m going to do something. I want to give it my best,” he explained. “I want to take it as far as I can. If nopony ever watches that is fine. It’s about being the best me I can for me.”

I smiled and nibbled on my vegetables. “I admire you.”

He shrugged. “You could do it, too, if you tried.”

“But I don’t, that’s the big difference. You’re motivated, dedicated, and more mature than me.”

“That’s for sure,” Soarin muttered.

My eyes narrowed. “Huh?”

He shook his head and said. “Nothing, I’m sorry that was rude. I’m just a bit…”

“A bit what? Answer carefully,” I snapped, setting my fork down.

“I guess, disappointed? Feeling trapped? I don’t want to give up on us, but I don’t want to be strung along for years if it isn’t going anywhere.”

My face suddenly felt hot and I barked back, “Now hold on a minute! I’m not stringing you along. I’m trying to be honest and upfront with you. This isn’t some sort of thing where I’m dating you and holding out for another pony.”

A few of the other patrons looked our way. Canterlot was like that. Ponies always wanted to be up on the latest gossip.

Soarin held up both of his hooves. “No, I know. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that. I’m just hurt and saying stupid things. Let’s just be adults, okay?”

That was it! I couldn’t stand hearing it from him. “Adults, huh? I’m not an adult? You’re not an adult! Being hurt doesn’t give you a license to say stupid things, especially when I’m trying my best to be honest. Stupid things still hurt me!” It just slipped out of my mouth. I got up and pushed my plate away. “I’m going to go. Let’s just talk about this when you calm down!” I then sneered, “Like adults.”

“Wait, Sunny, don’t go,” Soarin said, standing up.

“I think I should.” I levitated some bits out from under my shirt and dropped them on the table. “So you know I’m not just in this for a free meal.”

Before he could reply, I trotted off down the street with my meanest face on. I didn’t want to talk to him. I didn’t want to hear about how I was immature or how he was sorry. All I wanted to do in the moment was be angry.

I stomped my way down the street without much consideration for my direction. The further I got away from Soarin, the better I felt. Storming off usually had that effect.

There also wasn’t much point in going home. Trixie would just be rolling around on her bits and I didn’t want to ruin her happy with my bad date. I was angry, frustrated, and not going to get what I wanted, so it was better that I just kept storming around until I was calm.

My hooves took me down a tier and to the center of lower Canterlot. By the time I realized how far I’d gone, I was walking along a tall stone wall in an unfamiliar district.

I looked around in confusion. Even for a Monday night, the street was barren. Oddly so. Not that I was worried about being out alone at night. Real life wasn’t like the scary tales that ponies sometimes write.

The fire in my belly was starting to go out as I idly trotted along the wall. Eventually, I came to a pair of big red doors, one of which was open.

A tall, pristine white unicorn with a flowing blonde mane was standing in the opening, peering out. We made eye contact and, as I went by, she just stared at me intensely. It was hard to say what was going on in her head. The large blue eyes almost had a blank quality to them.

“See something you like?” I called at her, tired of being a spectacle.

She didn’t respond immediately. There was only the blank stare. Then she blinked, and I saw recognition in her eyes.

“Now is not the time.” She turned and stepped back through the doorway, the big red doors closing behind her.

What was that about? I stomped my hooves as I stormed away from there. Not the time for what? Was I too immature for that, too?

My aimless trotting eventually gave way to aimless meandering which in turn gave way to me laying down on the side of the road. What was I doing? Soarin was right to be upset. It wasn’t fair for me to want him but not want him.

Why had I been so sensitive and defensive? Because he’d treated me like Cheerful, but he couldn’t have known that would set me off. If I hadn’t been so hotheaded, we could have talked things over and figured some stuff out. What did I do instead? I just stormed off and took myself down to where weird ponies stared at me. Just like a stupid, immature filly.

Soarin would probably never talk to me again, and that realization felt like a pressure on my chest. I didn’t want to lose him! I closed my eyes tightly to try and stop the tears from forming. I didn’t cry over stallions. I never cried over stallions!

The first tear rolled down my cheek, followed quickly by a second.

Well, I guess there had to be a first time for everything.

Author's Note:

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, Q&B AU wiki, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon. We have monthly art give aways, a Q&B Discord RPG, a several other fun gifts for patrons.