• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 2,349 Views, 284 Comments

Azure Days - Anzel



Sunny Day struggles with how other ponies see her. Azurite struggles with how she sees herself. Both have yet to learn that you’ve got to believe in yourself to achieve your goals.

  • ...
9
 284
 2,349

16. My Day After

The sun had gone down over an hour ago, but that didn’t bother me at all. Not just because we were safely in our apartment, but because my anxiety levels had dropped dramatically for the whole day. They’d been so low that Aurum and I had done errands after the palace tour.

We’d done most of our shopping in the district where my dad’s shop was, which meant a lot of talking to ponies who had known me since I was ‘this high.’ Even the few short jokes that were leveled at me hadn’t dampened my mood.

Aurum had insisted that we get a cake to celebrate a great day, and I wasn’t about to tell her no. She’d then further decided that we would have a party, which was also fine with me.

After a stop by my parent’s place to pick up an honored guest, we’d headed home. Now I was setting the table while Aurum got ready.

“Alright, does everypony have their hats?” I asked, looking around the table. They did, of course. We’d even gone to the extra effort to find the right sizes for each one of them.

As the newest member of the Plush Party Gang, Flamingle was sitting at the head of the table with a bright orange hat on.

O.C. Topus sat to her right and had on a black hat with purple frills. He was, after all, a gentlepony… well, a gentlepus.

I had my hat, too. I was sitting on the other side of O.C., eyeing the big, beautiful cake that Aurum had picked out. She had good taste. On the surface, it looked like nothing more than a normal sheet cake with white frosting and smiling yellow faces. Beneath all those cute little smiles, however, was the real gold.

Mrs. Domino’s bakery had been a family favorite for years. She figured out a way to layer sheet cakes just right to create a dream of flavors. First it was vanilla, then chocolate, then strawberry, then a layer of buttercream, followed by another vanilla, and finally a subtle rose-infused vanilla layer.

Each layer was thin, too. Nopony knew how she managed to do it, but when you cut into it and saw all of those layers, it was a masterpiece.

“I’m ready!” Aurum called cheerfully as she trotted out of the bedroom in a fancy, shimmering black gown.

“Whoa!” I squeaked.

She crossed the living room and winked. “I see I’ve still got it. Now, let’s see here. Hat, hat, hat, and… uh… Azurite, how did you get a little hat on Mr. Peepers? And Diver Pony?”

How did I? That should be obvious! Also, I was glad that Mr. Peepers and Diver Pony were back together. It was about time.

“You know, the usual way you get fish to put on hats?”

Mr. Peepers blew two bubbles and swam a lap around Diver Pony.

Aurum inhaled softly and then laughed. “Fine, keep your secret. Let me just sit down here.”

She slipped into the seat across from me and set her forehooves on the table. “Azurite, I want to say thank you so much for the tickets. Today was amazing. That was something I have dreamed of doing my whole life.”

I could feel my face flush and I waved at hoof at her. “It’s no big deal! I wanted you to enjoy it.”

Aurum shook her head. “It is a big deal. You’re an extremely thoughtful pony. I also want to say that I’m proud of you. You handled yourself well in a situation that I know challenges you. You decided you wanted to do it and you did. Kudos!”

I shrugged, looking down at my hooves. “It helped that you and other royal guards were there.”

“I’m sure that is true, but we can only help so much. You had to do it yourself. This party is in honor of Azurite taking a step forwards in her goal of getting back to the status quo!” Aurum cheered before capturing the cake knife in her levitation spell.

“I’ll certainly eat cake to that!” I replied.

Mr. Peepers blew so many bubbles in approval before easing himself up to the edge of the bowl and poking his lips out.

Aurum delicately sliced two perfectly sized pieces out of the cake and served them. Once I had mine, I used my magic to break off a tiny piece. That one I flew over to Mr. Peepers. He gratefully accepted it before diving back down.

Once I’d done that, it was my turn to enjoy. I loaded up my fork and flew it into my mouth. This wasn’t the sort of cake you chewed. You just held it in your mouth and let it melt. All of the flavors came through. One by one, and sometimes mingling.

“I can’t believe how good this cake is,” Aurum practically purred.

“Mrs. Domino knows how to do it right.” I stuffed another bite into my mouth.

Aurum nodded. “Maybe I should go work with her and learn the secret!”

That would have been a great idea, if it was possible. “She’s very particular about that. Mom made the mistake of asking for a recipe one time and Mrs. Domino went on and on about guild secrets and only training apprentices.”

“I could be an apprentice for this! What’s another career? I’m young enough,” Aurum teased.

“Well, that is true. Say, why do you have that gown? Not that I don’t like it. You look wonderful. I’m just a little surprised by it.”

“Oh, this old thing? Darling, I’ve had this forever,” She teased as she waved a dismissive hoof.

After a brief pause, she looked back and forth and then leaned in. “I know this is going to sound silly, but let a girl dream. When I was packing up to move here and heading down to the royal post office, I saw it in a store window. It just called to me and I thought, ‘what if I get invited to the Grand Galloping Gala? I’d need a dress like that.’ So, I bought it. It is impulsive, I know, but at the time it is what I felt like I needed.”

“I don’t think that is silly. It looks like it was made for you!”

She eagerly agreed, “Yes! Yes, it seemed like that. I tried it on, it fit perfectly, and I just couldn’t say no.”

“Well, maybe you’ll get an invite to the Gala?”

Her brow arched. “Is that a hint that you have a way to do that?”

Quickly, I shook my head. “Nope, a tour is one thing. Gala tickets are really hard to come by. You need to know somepony or be somepony that has recently achieved something notable. I don’t think attending a tour without freaking out qualifies as notable.”

Aurum’s eyes softened and she set her hooves on her chest. “It is notable for us. So let’s enjoy our cake.”

She was the best cousin ever. My fork flew up in a salute. “Okay!”

The next hour wasn’t what I’d call a pretty sight. Our delicate cake eating eventually turned into voracious cake consuming. We ate half of the beast before giving up and putting it in the ice box.

Aurum then went to bed to, as she put it, ‘lay belly up and reflect on the bad choices she’d just made.’

I had settled on the couch with O.C. Topus and started working on a puzzle book. It was the kind that really made you think about how pieces fit together. It kept me focused.

All I had to do was figure out how to twist the cube into the triangle. It should have been easy. This was a basic puzzle. I just needed… needed to—

“Azurite?” Aurum asked curiously, her hoof settled on my shoulder.

“Hmm?” I murmured.

She smiled. “You were asleep.”

Everything did feel warm and cozy. I wasn’t sleeping, though. “No, I was just doing my puzzle book.”

Aurum shook her head. “The one on the floor there? I think you slept all night. It’s morning. You’d best get showered and ready for class.”

I stretched and looked around to see sun pouring in through the windows. “Huh, I guess I did,” I mumbled before slipping off the couch. When was the last time I’d slept all night? Even at my parent’s house, I usually woke up once or twice.

“I’ll get started on breakfast. Toast and jam okay?”

“After a quarter of a cake, that sounds great.” I was so comfortable. Class could wait, right? No. My hooves eventually decided to cooperate and took me into the shower.

I got cleaned up, put my uniform on, and then went back to settle down at the table.

Aurum had laid out a simple spread of breads and preserves. “It isn’t much, but I wasn’t sure we could handle anything else this morning. Be sure to drink a lot of water.”

“No, it’s perfect,” I replied, still somewhat marveling at the fact I’d slept and, now that I was awake, I felt a lot better than usual. We ate in relative silence before I said goodbye and headed to class.

The journey was a blur. I didn’t pay any mind to anypony else wandering around. I just arrived, went to the classroom, and settled in my seat. Was this what it felt like to be normal?

Chief Print came in a little while later, carrying her bag. Her eyes immediately found me and she said, “Guard Azurite, welcome back. I hope you’re ready to play catch-up today.”

“Yes, ma’am. I’m actually more ready today than most days!”

She paused briefly before setting her bag down and nodding. “Good. In that case, come get yesterday’s work and start on that while the rest of the class funnels in.”

“Yes, ma’am!” I said once more before getting out of my seat and heading up to her desk. She pulled out a few bundles of paper and offered them to me.

I took them and headed back to my desk. She’d left a cover sheet on each one with a brief explanation of the assignment. It was a basic Royal Guard dental plan and included how to fill out the form for a pony. It all looked very self-explanatory, but it wasn’t evident how their plan was different from a regular pony’s.

More ponies started to arrive while I worked at the forms. Whoever had put it together was an artist. Taking the data out of the case file and putting it in was just a matter of making sure the data matched.

“Alright, everypony,” Chief Print started. “I’m sure you were all thrilled to fill out your basic dental forms yesterday. Today, we’re going to learn about selecting dependents and Royal Guard-specific requirements.”

I levitated the work to the basket under my desk and brought out my notebook. The chief did not tolerate ponies working while she lectured.

“Now, as a royal guard, you may know that your spouse, children, and parents are all entitled to care at Royal Guard medical facilities. This includes dental. One of our jobs is to ensure we clearly identify each dependent and let our customers know their options.

“You see, most know about spouse and children. A vast amount don’t realize they can cover their parents, too. It is wholly up to the pony, but they should be informed. Some will prefer to use our medical facilities while others want to go the civilian route. We don’t steer, we just make the options known and explain them as best we’re able.”

That was something I could tell Aurum! Royal Guards had an RG dental plan because that allowed them to go to RG medical facilities. They’d just need to be enrolled in the specialist plan.

“Additionally, royal guards have specific requirements that civilian ponies don’t. I’m sure you all remember those bright white letters that show up twice a year? Remember, those cleanings and evaluations are mandatory for us. We must be in the best of health and that includes our teeth and mouths.”

Oh yeah. Those were mandatory. I’d had to try three different dentists until I found one with small enough hooves to work on me. The hygienist was a unicorn, at least.

“Alright, I’m going to pass out six cases to each of you. Today is a special treat, too: these are real ponies. Real sister and brother guards. The palace pony resource department is down some ponies and behind, so a friend of mine asked if I could help.

“Do your best, be diligent, and remember: if you mess these up, you might be messing with a pony’s life.”

A few ponies gasped, and then the class went dead silent.

Chief Print cracked a smile. It wasn’t something she did much. I didn’t like it. It was frightening. “I’m just kidding, I’m going to check over every single one of these before I dare give them back. If you mess up, however, that will take me longer and make me cranky. You don’t want me to be cranky.”

More silence.

The chief went about handing out the cases. When she gave me mine, I just stared at them.

This was it. This is what I’d come here to do. If I did these right, then I would be one step closer to being a real Pony Resources Officer. It was time to shine!

“Alright, before you all dive in, please flip over to page six of the form packets. Let’s go over this together so you know what all of the options mean.” She picked up the chalk and started to diagram on the board.

It was enthralling for me. A full night’s sleep and then the opportunity to do real work. What could have been cooler? Nothing!

The lecture went on for about two hours before Chief Print clapped her forehooves together. “Let’s get to work. If you have questions, I’m here. Please bring me each file as you complete it. I’d prefer to have less done correctly than more done wrong.”

I flipped open the first file. Sergeant Windchaser. This would be an annual renewal for… her. She was a mare. Wow, she’d been in the Guard for over three decades. She could retire anytime she wanted!

A husband, three sons, her mother, and one grandfoal that she’d adopted. They were all covered by her benefits. She knew the system, it seemed. All I would have to do was carefully transcribe everything and make a note that the grandfoal was her dependent, not the dependent of one of her sons.

It took effort not to flip through everything else. This was her whole file, but we were just doing dental. Somepony else would probably work through it. It was the time of year for annual renewals and check-in paperwork.

I flipped a page. “Wow!” Somepony exclaimed out loud. It was me. I was that pony. Why was I always that pony?

“What was that, Guard Azurite?” Chief Print called.

“Oh, nothing, ma’am! Sorry,” I replied before looking back down. Sergeant Windchaser was part of Princess Luna’s House Guard! They hadn’t even existed that long. I only knew about them because I’d seen one while I was sitting outside of the gift shop. The ones Rockette had said were ‘less fun.’

The guard I’d sat beside had subtly pointed him out. A mean-looking stallion in dark armor marching across the courtyard. He was frighteningly large and moved purposefully. I’d hate to be anypony that crossed him. I bet Windchaser was his boss!

This was so cool! My first ever real file was somepony important, and I was going to help her. If I did, could I get Aurum a ticket to the Gala? No! Silly Azurite, focus. Do the job!

We all sat working diligently. Occasionally, a pony would stand up and take a completed file to the chief. Most of the time, that worked out. Sometimes she’d call them back to point something out. At one point, she lobbed a wad of paper at Macaron to display her displeasure in his work.

He was getting better, but he was a slow learner. We’d have to have a few more study sessions after hours.

The clock above Chief Print eventually chimed, letting us know it was the end of the day. A few ponies got up and left. Some of us didn’t. I was only on the fourth file and I wasn’t leaving until they were all complete. After all, this wasn’t classwork. This was an opportunity.

When I finally finished the file I was on and took it to Chief Print, she said, “Thank you, Guard Azurite, you may go.”

“Are you going to leave, ma’am?” I asked her.

She shook her head. “No, I am doing a friend a favor. I need to finish these.”

“Then I’ll go finish the rest of the work assigned to me,” I said before trotting back to my desk and starting on the fifth file. The chief didn’t say anything, but she did give me a brief glance that read like approval.

Macaron was one of the other ponies staying late. He had only turned in two files and was working hard on his third. He seemed unwilling to give up, and I respected that.

It took me another half hour to finish the last two files. I took those up to the chief together. She glanced them over, then said, “Alright, now you may go.”

I looked back over at Macaron and then to her. “Actually, ma’am, I think I have a friend who needs a favor, too. I’m going to go help him… unless you object.”

Chief Print raised an eyebrow. “It’s your free time. It is good to see guards looking out for each other, though.”

“That is what we do, ma’am,” I said before going over to Macaron. “Hey buddy, want some help?”

He looked up with wide eyes. He’d been so focused on his tasks he hadn’t noticed me. “Yes, please!”

“Okay, let’s work on this together, then,” I said as I pulled my chair over to him. He’d mostly done the form right, but I could already tell this was going to be a long evening.

Long, but fulfilling. I was really helping ponies… it felt amazing.

Author's Note:

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, Q&B AU wiki, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon. We have monthly art give aways, a Q&B Discord RPG, a several other fun gifts for patrons.