• Published 27th Oct 2018
  • 980 Views, 22 Comments

Batmare: Filly Scourge of the night - Kaliann25



This is a new era of heroes, the era of the Justilce League. But as a new kind of hero appears, also a new kind of threat.

  • ...
1
 22
 980

Batmare 06

The party is over!

Ponyville: Outside Silver Spoon's Mansion

Only the craziest or the bravest of ponies would have braved the explosions to watch the gondola succumb to the clutches of gravity. As the Joker floated gently down, buoyed by a bevy of bestial balloons, he cackled wildly as what was left of his airship embedded itself into the ground with a resounding thud. "Hahahahaha! Finally, that crazy pink maniac is gone for good!"

A rhythmic whump caught his attention. His nemesis flew around him in a pylon turn, riding a hoof-powered helicopter that seemed to have giant candy canes as its main structural members. She cried out, "Don't do it, Cheese! You can still be the party pony you were meant to be!"

He shouted, "How about an invitation to a necktie party, Caballeron-style?" He flung a pair of envelopes with razor-sharp inserts straight for her throat. To his surprise, they were deflected away by a single apple.

From the ground, Applejack shouted, "That's cutting things too close, you varmint."

The clown hurled a pair of bright red balls at her. She reared up to protect her face as they detonated on the ground, throwing her back. "How you like them apples, farmer?" He gave a chilling laugh. "You would not believe how long I've been waiting to use that gag."

As he touched down, Pinkie Pie dropped between Applejack and him. "Please, Cheese, don't you want to see ponies smile?"

Joker gave a bone-chilling laugh. "No, no, no, no, no. Everypony should party hard . . . AND DIE LAUGHING!" Lethal cheese sauce squirted from his boutonniere, whizzing harmlessly past where Pinkie's head had been. A swipe from a rubber chicken went for her head while another simultaneously went for her legs. The pink party pony somehow flattened between the two arcs. Three razor-sharp invitations flew at her. She casually swept them away.

With tears forming in her eyes, Pinkie Pie's mane and tail straightened. "You're gone, really gone, aren't you, Cheese Sandwich?"

Joker abruptly stopped. He pulled out a hoofkerchief and stepped toward the party pony. "There, there. Don't cry."

A voice that was rarely heard above a whisper roared, "DON'T YOU DARE!"

The dagger hidden inside the hoofkerchief went wide as Pinkie sprang toward the voice. Joker locked eyes with the yellow pony staring at him. Fluttershy continued in a more controlled volume. "You should be ashamed of yourself. Now sit down and wait for the guard ponies."

The staring contest continued for a minute. Joker's eyes narrowed. "I'd rather see you dance!" He flung a hoofful of marble-sized spheres at Fluttershy.

Pinkie Pie sprang up in front of her friend and batted the balls back with Boneless. Around his neck, she said, "Cheese it, Fluttershy!"

As the timid pegasus flew away to help Applejack, Joker batted the balls with Boneless Number Two. "Two can play at this game!" he cried. He smiled around the chicken's neck as the volley continued. As he was about to make his third return, a premonition made him look down. There were several marbles by his hooves. That was strange; all his marbles should be in the . . .

The new marbles detonated, blanketing him in smoke. The split-second's distraction was enough to make him miss his return. His own marbles struck him before they dropped to the ground and exploded like firecrackers.

Although he was blinded by the smoke, clairvoyance alerted him to a new attack. He turned to counter, only to find that his hooves were glued to the ground. When the smoke cleared, Joker gave a genuine smile to the diminutive figure who stood between the Bearers and him.

"Hahahahaha! You came Batsy! You came! Now that's how to party!"

"The party's over, Cheese Sandwich," said Batmare as she drew a batarang.

With inequine strength, Joker pulled free of the adhesive. He laughed. "Here's where the fun begins!" Dropping his poncho, he exposed his equipment harness. He flung a rubber chicken with a burning fuse at Batmare while he launched an apple bomb over her head.

Batmare intercepted the chicken with her batarang. To her surprise, her cape was snatched away.

Joker looked up as the pink party pony caught the bomb in the cape and wrapped it up. She landed, sitting atop the package when it exploded flatulently. The Doctor's version of spider's silk was stronger than spun steel, allowing the blast to be diverted away. She said, "Excuse me!" as she was launched back toward Applejack.

"This is a real party, Batsy! You'll have so much fun seeing what I do to your friends before I finish with you."

"This is not a party!" cried Pinkie Pie. "Parties are about making other ponies happy!"

The clown gave an evil laugh. "You're right. I should spread the laughter." With a twist of his neck, he released the balloons from his harness. On exploded, and the others drifted toward town. Their numbers dwindled as they burst one by one.

A noxious green cloud came from each balloon. Before the scent of limburger reached her, Batmare activated her mask's filters and threw gas masks to Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. Over her commlink, the Dark Knight said, "Code Blue, Doctor. Code Blue."

Underground cave:

Silver Spoon slowly walked among the vehicles and equipment in the Batcave. She filled the silence as she spoke to herself. "I don't get it. Diamond Tiara is absolutely terrified of bats. How can she be Batmare?"

She jumped, startled, when Doctor replied, "Strength of will and lots of money."

"This is a dream, isn't it? Come on, Luna, I want to wake up now."

"Is this really so hard to believe? Your friend is hurting more than you might imagine. This is the only way she can feel better."

"That can't be right."

"Can you not see the scars?" asked Doctor. "Can you not see how tired she is every day?"

"She said she was in trouble with the princesses," mused Silver Spoon. "That was a couple days after news of Batmare wrecking that bank train broke."

The gray filly shouted, "Celestia! That's what she's trying to keep me safe from?!?"

"So, do you believe now?"

"Do you really approve of a little filly like Diamond Tiara risking her life every night?" asked Silver Spoon with a glare.

"No, I do not. That's the price I pay to follow my dreams."

She said, "I don't understand, Doctor. With a mind like yours, you could be rich and happy doing what you want."

The brown earth pony shook his head. "That's where you're wrong. My special talent is designing and making weapons. Do you have any idea how disappointed Princess Celestia was when she saw my first invention? I can still hear her saying, 'I'm not angry; I'm disappointed. We are a peaceful nation, young colt.'" He snorted. "If you want peace, prepare for war."

A voice came over the loudspeaker. "Code Blue, Doctor. Code Blue."

Doctor hurried to a console. "Come here if you want to help your friend."

"What do you mean?"

"There's a gas attack going on. We're going to stop it."

Silver Spoon trotted over. "What do you want me to do?"

"Do you play those new video games?"

She sniffed. "I have the latest arcade console in my game room."

"Good. I'm the pilot, and you're the gunner."

Ponyville:

As they weathered the chemical assault in their hazmat suits, Roseluck, Lily, and Daisy were living proof that only the paranoid survive. Other residents of Ponyville, to their chagrin, discovered that Ponyville-rated barriers were no match against poison gas. The scent of weaponized limburger was their first hint that something was wrong. The laughter was next. There was no joy in that sound, only the desperation of the condemned. With each balloon detonated, more victims join the chorus.

As he danced through the streets, evading and countering attacks, Joker laughed gleefully. Despite the honest joy, the sound was still chilling. "Are you having fun yet, Batsy? What about you, girls? Now this is a real party!"

Pinkie Pie's mane and tail began to straighten. "Listen to yourself. Does it really make you happy when you hurt other ponies?"

Joker drew a rubber chicken with a loop for his pastern. As he whirled it, he cackled, "Give the mare a prize! She understands the Joker!"

With mane and tail fully straight, Pinkie Pie stopped abruptly. "I will not fight my friend."

Laughing maniacally, Joker swung the chicken at her head. A lasso caught his forehoof and pulled it away, forcing his head into Batmare's flying kick. With a slash of a batarang, she cut away Joker's harness. She said, "When I said it was over, I meant it, Cheese."

Joker bit through the rope. "Why must you be such a wet blanket, Batsy? This is the party of a lifetime! Can't you hear all the laughter?"

"That's just the gas. If this had been a real party, they'd be demanding a refund."

For a half second, the Joker lost his smile. He then continued as if nothing had gone wrong. "You wouldn't recognize fun if it bit you on the flank. Who's the party pony here?"

"What do you think they'd do without that gas making them laugh?"

Joker shrugged. "They won't live long enough to find out."

"That's where you're wrong."

A giant bat-shaped shadow passed over the pair. Looking up, Joker saw an aircraft silhouetted against the full moon. It swooped down to roof level and a ventral turret swung about, spraying a blue mist over each house. The laughter died out as it passed.

Joker cried, "That's cheating! You don't deserve to party."

Batmare struck with both forehooves before Joker could react. His eyes began to swell shut. Still, he swung the rubber chickens with uncanny accuracy. Dodging, Batmare said, "Everypony thought that gas was a stupid idea. Princess Celestia herself helped make the antidote."

The combatants traded blows, but in the open, Batmare's agility gave her a clear advantage, allowing her to duck out of range between counterattacks. Despite his clairvoyance, Joker was accumulating an impressive collection of bruises while Batmare was able to dodge or deflect most of his attacks.

Batmare said, "Face it, Cheese. You were never really a party pony, you were a caterer. People only went to your parties for the food."

Joker froze for a second, allowing Batmare to land a series of solid blows.

He lashed out again. "You lie! I was always booked full!"

"That's only because ponies were desperate. Pinkie Pie couldn't be everywhere, you know. You were just a cheap imitation."

Joker's attacks became wilder, more powerful, but more predictable. Batmare took full advantage to launch her attacks. Hooves and batarangs found their marks time and time again.

Batmare asked, "Is that why you hate me? That secret sauce was the only thing that kept your parties from being total flops, and I contaminated it with you."

With a roar of rage, Joker launched himself in an all-or-nothing attack. Batmare casually met his chin with a full buck. The clown dropped, unconscious.

Batmare reached into a pouch on her utility belt. Weakly, Pinkamena said, "Don't kill him."

Batmare replied, "It's just a special tranquilizer. Doctor found something to counter the immunity the cheese sauce normally gives him."

Joker twitched as the drug was administered before relaxing with an obscene leer on his face.

Applejack said, "Y'all done good there, Batmare." She winced as Fluttershy wrapped a compression bandage around her barrel.

Pinkie Pie added, "There really isn't anything left of Cheese Sandwich, is there."

Batmare nodded. "I'm afraid he's gone." She tapped her commlink. "Twilight, I have the Joker out for the count in front of Silver Spoon's mansion."

"What?! When did he get here?"

"Canterlot attack was just a diversion."

With a pop of displaced air, the Princess of Friendship appeared on scene. She enveloped the clown in her magic. "I'll keep him in a stasis bubble until we can figure out what to do with him."

Batmare said, "You should tell Celestia that the security in her hospital stinks. He's the second dangerous prisoner to escape from it."

"I'll personally see that he's put someplace more secure. What about you? What will you do now?"

"There are two more ponies I need to talk to tonight. Then, I can get back to the recuperating from my injuries like I'm supposed to."

"The princesses will want to talk with you."

"It'll have to wait for tomorrow night."

"I understand. You've earned your rest, Dark Knight."

As Batmare sank into the shadows, Pinkamena lay down and sobbed quietly. "He's really gone. The only other super party pony is gone. My friend is gone."

Fluttershy lay next to her and lay a comforting wing over her. "There, there, Pinkie. Everything will be all right."

Turning to face her friend, Pinkamena asked, "How do you do it, Fluttershy? How can you still smile after you lose a friend?"

"It takes time, Pinkie."

"When does the hurting stop?"

Fluttershy held her closer. "It never does." Applejack and Twilight moved to join in the hug.


In Cheerilee's modest cottage, the teacher rummaged through her medicine cabinet for aspirin. The antidote had saved her from the Joker's gas, but it had left her with a massive headache. A harsh voice said, "Good evening."

Cheerilee spun around. Standing in the doorway of the bathroom was a small figure in a costume that had been featured in newspapers large and small across the land. "Batfilly?" cried the teacher.

The figure groaned. "That's 'Batmare'."

"What . . . what do you want? I'm not in trouble, am I?"

The figure pushed back her cowl, revealing a familiar, bruised face. "No. I just came by to say goodbye."

Aghast, Cheerilee said, "Diamond Tiara? Take that costume off right now! Somepony might mistake you for the real Batmare and hurt you!"

Patiently, Diamond Tiara explained, "I am the real Batmare."

"Stop. Just stop. Do you know how much it hurts me to see you with all those injuries? Just tell me who has been doing this to you, and I'll make sure they won't hurt you again, even if I have to talk to the princesses themselves."

"It's too late for that. I disobeyed them, and now they're going to send me away."

"What do you mean? Why would they do that to an innocent filly?"

Diamond Tiara sighed. "The innocent filly died when her parents were killed. I disobeyed the princesses to save Ponyville, and now I have to pay the price."

"You need professional help. I . . . I know ponies."

"I was never abused, not the way you think. Every cut, every bruise I earned fighting crime. Do you remember the stories in the newspapers?"

Cheerilee stared at her pupil for a moment. The teacher asked, "May I hug you?"

Diamond Tiara shrugged. "It won't help anything."

"I will help me." For a moment, the two shared an embrace in silence.

"I don't understand," said Cheerilee. "You're not like Dash, Green Lantern, or Alicorn Marevel. You don't have any super powers."

"That's where you're wrong. I have one super power. I never give up."

Diamond Tiara broke the hug. "It's been an honor being your student, Miss Cheerilee. I know all the colts and fillies are in good hooves." With that, the filly raised her cowl and vanished into the shadows.

She came back to light only for a second. “By the way, there’s a chance I’ll miss classes tomorrow. As you can see, I had a long night.”

With that, she disappeared into darkness again.

As she returned to the Batcave, both teacher and student shed a tear for the child who no longer was.


Silver Spoon turned to the sound of hooves approaching. She watched as a small figure limped from the shadows. When the figure lowered its cowl, Silver Spoon rushed over and held her in a gentle hug. "Diamond Tiara! You made it back!"

Smirking, the filly replied, "Was there ever any doubt?" She returned the hug, and the friends enjoyed the embrace.

As she broke free, Diamond Tiara said, "I guess I owe you an explanation."

Silver Spoon replied, "The only thing you need to explain is whether we're still friends. Nothing else matters."

Diamond Tiara nodded. "We are friends; that's why I kept this hidden. I couldn't risk having somepony hurt you because of me. If ending our friendship was what was needed to keep you safe, I would have gladly paid that price."

"Do you really mean that Diamond?"

"The choice is yours, Silver Spoon. You know what my life has become. You know the danger. Do you still want to be my friend?"

Silver Spoon responded with a hug. "Our friendship is more precious than anything."

Author's Note:

This time, I tried to add the remaining Mane 6 to the fight, giving Batmare a bit of help. Also, I based Diamond’s teasing on the small exchange between the Joker, and Batman Beyond on their final fight. I hope you liked it, and, you know:

Read ya’ later!!