• Published 27th Oct 2018
  • 980 Views, 22 Comments

Batmare: Filly Scourge of the night - Kaliann25



This is a new era of heroes, the era of the Justilce League. But as a new kind of hero appears, also a new kind of threat.

  • ...
1
 22
 980

Batmare 02

You’re cordially invited!

Wearily, Diamond Tiara cracked one eye open. The gold-trimmed alarm clock on her nightstand read five o'clock. The rosy fingers of sunlight that touched her cheek confirmed that the day had indeed broken. Her body vehemently protested as she rolled off the bed. It hurt to move. It hurt to stay still. It hurt to breathe. That pain, however, was not what forced her from her slumber. The humiliation of her defeat was more than she could bear.

She sighed. Her regular exercises would do more harm than good. She would have to try the earth pony centering routines that Apple Bloom had been teaching her. These were supposed to help her connect with her earth pony magic. No matter how hard she tried, though, she couldn't feel the spark that the redhead had insisted was there.

The filly frowned when she looked at herself in the mirror. The compression bandages that covered her barrel and hindquarters made her look like a mummy. Still, that did not prevent her from slowly flowing from pose to pose, purportedly opening up different pathways for her magic. If nothing else, each pose allowed her to direct force at a specific point while being firmly anchored.

Sweat matted her mane and tail when she was finished. A growling stomach set her priorities. She would have breakfast first, and then shower.

As she descended the grand staircase, she saw Randolph waiting with a tray with aspirin and orange juice. At the table after nights on the town, her parents had always joked that this was the breakfast of champions. If that was what they had needed after such celebration, she didn't want to find out what a hangover was.

Eagerly, she downed the proffered pills and chased them with the juice. Randolph said, "Little Miss, a Miss Cheerilee is here to see you."

Diamond Tiara choked. When she recovered, she sputtered, "M . . . Miss Cheerilee? Aren't you supposed to be at the schoolhouse this early?"

With concern, Cheerilee asked, "Early? What time do you think it is?"

"It's five in the morning. Can't you see the sunrise?"

"That's the sunset. I received a note this morning saying that you had to miss class today because of an accident. I came to see if you are all right."

Randolph hastily interjected, "Yes, I was explaining to Miss Cheerilee how you needed time away to recover."

Weakly, Diamond Tiara laughed. "It was just an accident, Miss Cheerilee. There's nothing to be worried about. Thank Celestia that it's nothing that Randolph can't handle."

"It's not just this accident that has me worried, Diamond Tiara. I'm not blind. I can see the bruises. I can see the scars. I don't care what anyone says; that is not love. This has to stop before it kills you."

Randolph said, "Little Miss, your teacher has suggested that we take you someplace safe, someplace far away from what is hurting you. Won't you take her advice?"

Diamond Tiara looked back to her teacher. "Miss Cheerilee, I know this looks bad, but . . ."

Despite having faced the worst that the Equestrian underworld had to offer, Diamond Tiara wilted under Cheerilee's glare. The teacher said, "No 'buts'. I've talked with Foal Protective Services more times than I care to remember. I've already talked to them about this latest 'accident'. The princesses will hear of this if it continues." Her gaze softened. "Please, Diamond Tiara, let me help. I can protect you. Any of the Element Bearers can protect you. You know where to find us." With that, she left the mansion.

“Thank you for your concern, Miss Cheerilee.” said Diamond Tiara, lowering her gaze.

After the door closed, Randolph said, "She really does care about you, Little Miss. She is right; you cannot go on like this forever. At least give yourself a chance to recover."

Shaking her head, Diamond Tiara replied, "It's my duty. It's the reason I'm here; I can't give this up."

"You must consider what those around you perceive, Little Miss. She is right; you are badly hurt."

Pointing to her bandages, Diamond Tiara continued, "This is nothing compared to what she is going to do." Stiffly moving to take on a regal bearing, she said, "Mine own Dark Knight, thy performance last night was a disappointment." Slumping down to a more comfortable posture, she said, "I can't fail her. I won't; too much is at stake."

A regal figure stepped from the shadows. "You have a talent for mimicry, Dark Knight, but that is a skill to be developed later. We must speak of your performance last night."

Diamond Tiara sighed as she gestured for Princess Luna to sit at the coffee table. The filly settled in on the seat opposite the ruler. Randolph returned with a tray with two soup plates of steaming Phrench onion soup, each with a giant crouton topped with melted cheese. He arranged the place settings on the short table before serving the meal.

Diamond Tiara attacked her dish muzzle-first while Princess Luna daintily levitated a soup spoon from the table. The filly lifted her dripping muzzle from her plate and said, "Delicious as always, Randolph."

Luna added, "Indeed." She directed her attention at the filly. "You are hurt much worse than normal. Was that part of the train incident?"

Downcast, Diamond Tiara said, "Yes. I thought it was going to be a routine train robbery, but that damned clown was waiting for me with his rubber chickens."

Raising an eyebrow, Luna replied, "A clown did this to you? Are you coulrophobic?"

"No! It's not what it looks like. That was a madpony wearing a disguise, and those so-called toys hit hard enough to break the train's controls."

"So, you say that he is responsible for the two deaths and the damage to the train?"

"I was too late to save the two in the cabin. The clown killed them before I got there."

"How did he best you?"

"That train was a trap, and I walked right into it. He was waiting for me."

"You have the best training and equipment."

"So did he. His moves and his weapons are different than anything I've seen before, and he caught me by surprise." Diamond Tiara sighed. "I could have caught him, but that would have meant letting the train crash into Canterlot Station.

Luna nodded. "I see. I will make hunting this clown a top priority. Also, you are to be commended for minimizing both the destruction and the loss of life to a minimum. Still, the president of the bank is up in arms over the thousands of bits in damage to his train."

"I'm sorry. I did my best."

"I know. Still, I must have you suspend all crimefighting activity until further notice."

"Wait. WHAT?!" screamed Diamond Tiara. "Anyone short of a metapony would have been killed by that maniac!"

Calmly, Luna replied, "I know. Crimefighting is the easy part. I have to take care of the politics. It's all I can do to keep Foal Protective Services at bay without revealing your secret."

"That's not fair!"

Luna replied, "Indeed, it is not. It is politics. It is only with great reluctance that my sister tolerates this new generation of heroes, and the collateral damage from your activities gnaws at her sensibilities. Remember, as much as you are my knight, you are also my student, and this last is the only reason Tia tolerates you, specifically. You must be both or you must be neither. Which do you choose?"

Angrily, Diamond Tiara crossed her forehooves. "What's her problem with me, anyway? I'm not the only junior superhero out there."

"Yes, but you are the only one without special abilities. You are the only one whose actions nearly cost another filly's life."

Diamond Tiara pouted, but she also nodded in reluctant agreement. "Fine."

"Make no mistake, Dark Knight. I am still proud of you, but you are still a filly. You have much growing to do in both body and mind." Luna sighed. "You must have more to your life than just fighting crime; go reconnect with your friends. The gray one with glasses is as heartbroken as you; she thinks you have forsaken her."

"I guess you're right," sighed Diamond Tiara. "I just wanted to keep her away from the danger my life has become."

"A life without risk is no better than death. Go to her, Dark Knight, for your sake as well as hers."

Diamond Tiara watched as Luna vanished into the shadows. The filly stared, lost in thought.

Canterlot outskirts, Abandoned Mansion:

The delivery cart outside the service entrance sagged ever lower as each bag was thrown in. A line of ponies extended from the cart to some place in the cellar. In the fashion of a bucket brigade, each passed the bag he received to the next pony in line. A rough-looking earth pony said, "Hurry, you mooks! We gotta get outta here before those damned vigilantes show up."

An equally disreputable pegasus replied between bags. "Relax. The boss would be long gone if he thought they were coming."

A unicorn mare said, "I don't suppose you'd make everypony's life easier and just give up."

The henchponies looked at the figure in black, shocked. The earth pony screamed, "Get her!"

Unimpressed, the mare whipped her bo staff, disabling the leader. "Come along quietly, and nopony will get hurt."

The thugs rejected the invitation and charged.

While the thugs were occupied, a blue-cloaked figure quietly ascended the stairs, reaching the study on the third floor. A stream of light bled through the crack at the bottom of the doorway. With a solid buck the stallion tore the door from its hinges and spun to level a drawn bow at the figure seated behind the desk. "Breaking Wave, you have failed Equestria."

The Arrow watched as the mob boss sat motionless behind the desk. The stallion was absolutely still, with a wide grin that was the antithesis of the terror shown on the rest of his face. The office was decorated with balloons and bunting, with a small layer cake on one side of the desk and a punchbowl and cups on the other.

Cautiously, Arrow walked in with bow trained on the stallion. Something tapped him on the left flank. He spun to face it, only to have his legs knocked out from under him from the right. As he fell, a meringue pie was plastered on his face.

The green-maned clown cried, "Wakka wakka!"
As the Arrow struggled to remove the pie, the clown reached under his purple poncho an withdrew a rubber chicken attached by a strap on each foreleg. He slammed one onto the Arrow's barrel. "Aren't you too old for this kind of party?"

Arrow rolled away before the second chicken slammed into the floor, smashing a hole into the boards.

The clown dodged the blindly launched arrow. "You're no fun! I came here to play with the little bat filly. WHERE IS SHE?!"

The clown tugged at the chicken embedded in the floor. As he abandoned it, he said, "Alas, Semiboneless Number Four." Turning back to the struggling Arrow, he said, "I guess we'll find out why they say I'm a cutup." He threw aside his poncho, and from his harness he launched what looked like a grilled cheese sandwich.

A bo staff flew into the room and deflected missile. The blades hidden inside the bread embedded deeply into the floor, inches from Arrow's head. Canary telekinetically retrieved her staff and said, "Really, darling, you must get some fresh material." The clown easily jumped over the sweep at his legs.

The clown swung his remaining chicken at her. He dodged her staff as his blow went wide. "That's what I don't like to play with grownups. You have no sense of fun."

He flung a hoofful of small balls at the Canary and said, "Oh, look. I've lost my marbles."

Arrow managed to tear the pie free in time to see the balls detonate around Canary. He took great gulps of air as he launched himself at the clown. The green-maned figure batted him away with the rubber chicken.

Arrow flung an arrow that the clown easily dodged. The clown pulled a ribbon attached to the balloons. They flatulently deflated, filling the room with the scent of limburger and a noxious green cloud. The clown said, "Well, that's a gas."

Arrow tried to respond, but he found himself laughing uncontrollably. The corners of his mouth were being forced into a manic grin. The clown said, "You're just too boring. He whipped the chicken toward Arrow's head.

A scream filled the room blowing the clown and the gas out the window. He cackled madly as he reached under his poncho and pulled. A gaggle of animal-shaped balloons inflated, catching the wind that carried him away.

Canary rushed to her partner. "Arrow! What's wrong?" she cried. The vigilante could not stop laughing. Desperately, she cast a stasis spell; she could not hold it for long. She draped herself over him and pressed the cabochon cut onyx disk over her heart. In a flash of light, the two vanished.


Canterlot Castle, Intensive Care Ward:

It hurt too much for this to be death. Blue Blood weakly cracked open an eye as the scent of disinfectant assaulted his nose. The supposedly soothing decorations were uncomfortably familiar. He had spent an unpleasant convalescence in that very room after his battle with the Lost Generals.

As he opened his eyes further, he groaned, "Great. Not again."

"Blue Blood!" cried Celestia.

"Hey, auntie. What brings you here?" he quipped weakly.

"That's what we wanted to ask you," replied Luna as she walked to her sister's side. "We talked with Canary, but she was not much help. She burned out her magic trying to save you; she was very worried about you."

"As was I," added Celestia. "You have no idea how close you came to dying. It took every bit of skill my physicians had to cure you, even with my magic. What happened to you, nephew?"

Blue Blood groaned as his memories flooded back. "It was some creepy clown. He set up an ambush."

Luna quirked an eyebrow. "Did you say 'clown'?"

"I cannot believe that a mere clown laid you and the Canary low," added Celestia.

"It was no ordinary clown. He was just as skilled as me, and his weapons were unfamiliar to us."

Luna said, "Canary said something about the room being set up for a party."

Blue Blood groaned, "There must have been some sort of gas in the balloons."

Luna frowned. "I must talk with my Dark Knight."

Celestia said darkly, "Bring her here. She has much to explain."

"What? Why?" asked Blue Blood.

The princess held up a mirror. Torn away from the fur on his face was a simple message. "BATSY COME PLAY".

Author's Note:

This was a strange chapter to make, but well, I liked the idea of the other heroes interacting with this new enemy. I hope you liked it.

Read ya’ later!!