• Published 2nd Nov 2018
  • 573 Views, 23 Comments

Twilight’s Short and Incomplete Guide to Equestrian Magical Theory - ReaderReads



Twilight likes books. Twilight knows that not everyone does, but Twilight knows that everyone loves knowledge. So, the obvious conclusion is a short guide to her favourite subject, yes?

  • ...
0
 23
 573

Chapter 4: Magical Branches

We all know what magic is- even if you happen to have not been taught about it in school, which you should've been, there's no creature on this planet, and especially no pony, that doesn't know what magic is, especially considering to the extent of which it is used by, obviously, unicorns, but both earth ponies and pegasi as well- either way, the last earth pony, pegasus, or unicorn-only villages have been discovered and introduced the wider world already, so there isn't any way that ponies haven't encountered the most, for lack of a better word, flamboyant magic user, that being the unicorn.

However, even a few unicorns don't understand the extent to which magic can vary. They use spells, they learn basic or even slightly advanced magical theory, but often don't care enough to continue classes in magic, often resulting in only a basic or, again, slightly above basic understanding of magic. Spells, however, branch into multiple different 'types' of magic; that being said, there really aren't separate magics, but different ways to utilise magic. This is turned into the branches I earlier mentioned.

This chapter is going to be entirely about those branches- now, before you understand branches, you must understand that they all spring off of the main 'type'- ether magic. This is what every branch of magic, in some sense, embodies- from light to dark, from harmonic to chaotic, from technological to fantastical, every branch is directly related to ether magic. Now, branches of magic are rather simply described- first we have light magic, the most commonly used magic and in fact, most ponies rarely, if ever, learn spells not in the light or occasionally white branches of magic.

Light magic can be described by talking of spells that feed on low-level positive emotions, such as joy or anticipation. Basic telekinesis, which takes the strength of a unicorn and funnels it through the air to 'grab' an object, is powered entirely by happiness. White magic can be described by talking of spells that feed on high-level positive emotions, such as love or nostalgia.

Then, the infamous dark magic- fed by low-level negative emotions, such as nervousness or sadness. Black magic, however, is often confused with dark magic- this is not a mistake that should ever be made. A pony making use of dark magic is not evil, or misguided, or anything of the sort- dark and light are both fine to use, and should in fact be used together to achieve maximum efficiency. In fact, a lot of ponies have nearly definitely accidentally powered spells via dark magic, since telekinesis- for example- can easily be powered by either.

Anyway, black magic is powered by high-level negative emotions, such as rage or loss. Now, overuse of a certain magic can lead to an 'infection' of emotion, which is why ponies are generally happy creatures, though not caring much about procreation; we are practically powered by light magic. This isn't a good thing, and is actually a slight problem- we are too happy, and our over-reliance on light magic should be fixed.

Both black magic and white magic, however, are not recommended. High-level emotions 'infect' you both easier and faster, as the spells powered by them are always, with no exception, more powerful- a one-time use of black or white magic to lift a boulder off of a pony, or to perform incredible feats in general, is fine, but even twice in a day can lead to too much of whatever emotion is being used. Before saying anything, too much love is bad because you basically become, pardon my language, a sexual machine stopping at nothing to forcefully... well, yeah.

Nostalgia will put you into a coma unless you have a high mental resistance or magical tolerance, rage will make you incredibly violent, and loss will sink you into a suicidal state that only more high-level spells can break you out of. Of course, there are other high-level emotions- lust, hate, etcetera, but these are the most commonly used. Sombra, for example, was powered by black magic- a mix of anger and loss mingled in his brain overwhelmingly after he was analysed post-mortem. Dinky Doo, the rapist of nearly a thousand? A one-time use of white magic to save her mother when she was a filly and therefore with a low level of mental and magical resilience transformed her.

Needless to say, the other branches are so much harder to access. Most ponies don't access harmonic magic since you must strike a balance inside yourself- an interesting magical concept covered in a later chapter- to use it. Chaotic magic is incredibly specialised, and is comprised nearly entirely of reality-warping spells; a pony must be magically diseased while striking a balance to use it, and these spells put a massive strain on the horniglymphene, modes, and can empty a mana pool in seconds.

All other branches branch off of light, dark, black, white, chaotic, and harmonic. There are also natural magics- these are such as the alternate magic, which lets a pony talk to the dead, spirits, temporarily at their order. Ponies with this are either caught and taught to use it early or they degrade into a rambling mess due to information overload. Stellar magic is fairly self-explanatory, and known to be wielded only by Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in recorded history, though multiple myths unconfirmed by the sisters circle that Discord, Cadance, and other demi-godly creatures can access it.

As of now, no other magics have been turned into branches directly sprouting off of ether, though there's a large possibility that one day a pony will enter a certain state or use a certain thing and a new branch will be discovered- harmonic magic, for example, was my discovery after weeks of studying the Tree of Harmony and all notes we had of the Elements of Harmony.

Before I end this chapter, let me quickly clear something up: pegasi and earth ponies do not use any branch of magic to fuel their own naturally-occurring abilities- when utilising unicorn-style spells actively they do, but otherwise their abilities are left without influence from emotion. They are, however, still joyful simply due to exposure to mass amounts of light magic casting. Now put the book down and stop for a tea break or something- I know not everyone likes to read as much as me!

Though, I certainly wouldn't argue if you continued!

Author's Note:

The next chapter: What is a spell structure, matrix, etcetera; how exactly do spells work, how are they made? Or, more on magically-based diseases and afflictions. Still need an editor, especially for science-y shit and sounding fancy 'n' stuff. I'm bad at that. Criticism appreciated, angry/troll comments too, funny comments, and everything inbetween. That is all. Hope you enjoy this.

Comments ( 17 )

I must confess, this is somewhat hard to read: punctuation is very misleading, especially hyphens, which, in some places, must not be. Perhaps, you meant to use dashes instead? If so, use them, and if you can't afford yourself to insert one, you can use a doubled hyphen padded with spaces. For example, consider this: "Even if I did know -- and I'm not saying I do! -- I wouldn't tell you anyway!" In this sentence I used a doubled hyphen ("--"), which is two times a hyphen ("-"), and padded it from the words surrounding it. Using just a hyphen, you make compound words, like "mother-in-law", which would otherwise be three words ("mother in law") instead of one. Also note, that one doesn't pad a hyphen with spaces (not "mother - in - law"!). I hope, I was helpful.

Now to the theory of magic.

If I were you, I wouldn't describe magic like you, but my vision of magic may be not suitable for your purposes. You state, ponies "catch" magic with some organs, and then apply it, using their sheer will. Sciency stuff follows. In my model unicorn horns serve as "antennae", sending signals to a hypothetical event-listening and message-dispatching system, that allows all objects to interact one with another. Not so sciency, eh? Now we delve deeper: all beings communicate with such a system by applying force to objects or using various fields. So far physics are OK with it. Enter unicorns, who can communicate by just using their horn, and physics give way to a whole new worldview.

As I said, this may be not suitable for your purposes, because magic as I see it is chiefly for unicorns to use. But you might want to step away from so physicsish way of explainging magic (for example, don't go into throwing particles into it, because particles are complicated as it is) and to describe magic in more abstract terms. As for me, I like to see magic as a means of programming the world. "Magic" as matter (which we see unicorns "pour" from their horns) is somewhat equivalent to computer memory. The more magic-as-matter an unicorn has, the more "code" he/she can store at once without looking into a spell book. This "code" is sent to the event-listening and message-dispatching system that does as a sourcerer requests... Something like this. Maybe, you'll like the idea.

9350981 Thank you very much for the information on the hyphens and the dashes- that should help me out quite a bit. Again, thanks a lot.

And though I like the idea, I'll stray away from it mainly due to the fact that it's... not my idea. It's yours, and I wouldn't feel right basically ripping it off and sticking it into my little thing. Either way, I've always loved explaining magic as something that can't be explained too well by normal science (physics, chemistry, biology) though, of course, the ponies will try - throwing the particles into it was to try and explain stuff, though maybe I will edit that since I don't understand physics and it could be pretty wrong. At all. It's also the fact that we've heard I think that it's canon for pegasi and earth ponies to have magic, just not that they wield it the same way as unicorns. However, thanks very much for the information! I appreciate it tons!

9351243
Wowie! Who could have guessed, that I would be so much help! You are most welcome!

Also I appreciate your respecting ideas' sources and not adopting them as your own. I suspected anyway, that my explanation of magic wouldn't fit into what you had described, but you seem very respectful of others being ideas' authors! It is very hard nowadays to prevent unauthorised use of intellectual property, but, oh, well, it's the new era, can one really fight the spread of many copies?.. I know I couldn't, nor would I, so your respect is very appreciated!

By the way, I haven't got an explanation of pegasi's and earth ponies' magic myself, so I shall contemplate this matter some time in the future. But it is sometimes just too convenient to say, the only magical beings are unicorns, so discarding the two other races' magical possibilities is just simplification.

Again, you're welcome!

9351514 Stealing ideas will garner me no respect- and I am a very weak-willed man, I'd hate the disrespect and anger that would come with it- and, to add to that, the disappointment in myself. However, if you really are going to contemplate the theory of magic, maybe you can write something about it like I do? It's a decent use of time, and I think getting your ideas out there would be great. However- yet again- thanks a lot! Always looking to improve, and you're helping me do exactly that!

9351595
Maybe, I might write something to explain magic, although I don't know, in what form... Certainly it's got to be fiction, otherwise I should post a blog entry. But fiction needs a plot (no, not a pony butt), and I have, at best, a very vague idea of a story covering magic...

Have you got any suggestions?

P. S.: Not at all, I'm always glad to know my help was appreciated! It's a pleasure to me!

9352468 Well, I can't think of anything off the top of my head- you could, obviously, do something along the lines of what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind at all. Otherwise, maybe you could have the story take place in a lecture hall over a series of lectures? I haven't got any other ideas- running dry right now, and either way, I'm sure you've got something.

M-m-m... I'm not very sure your form is what I envision... But, maybe, a human programmer in Equestria learns magic his way? I had such an idea, but where to start? What's in the end?..

This still needs shaping, and meanwhile I try my hand in writing something simpler. Actually, I have a story (very random!) in progress. And when I have tested my abilities, I'll gingerly step into something more serious. This should be awesome!

9353000 Indeed it should. I look forward to being able to read your stories hopefully in the near future, and hope that if you need help in some kind of sense you know you can come to me- I'll gladly assist you in anything you feel I could help you with.

9353021
Aw-w-w, thanks!

Comment posted by Second Chance deleted Dec 11th, 2023

Well As a researcher , kind of , I would TRY TO IMPUT EVERYTHING I KNOW TO YOUR THEORY IN MOE CLEARER PICTURE .


To extend I agree , BUT WITH ENOUGHT Training a certain part couldget stronger tto allow actually casting speels


Later .

Hopefully my imputs would give birth of more advanced theory . Just in case conslt with whoever could understand ,
EVEN PINKIE , AND DISCORD .

For basics . Everything is energy and is blueprint . In other instance , in the story or universe called the Rot , Discord tried to explain the magic into the agregate state of solid liquid and gass , And Chaos is FOURTH STATE =PLASMA ! Strings of reality and souch .

Also SCP , Scranton field , In Equestria is SO SATURATED That Magic could be possible to be manifested easier , unlie earth when is too poor and onlty somewhere with more richer than average on magic-less earth is SOMETHINGto happen to the people .

I do not know how much afects the electronicsand whi is not always allowed electronic devises .

The more richer the person i with the Energy of likfe or whatever , at least in fiction as well that is how much fiction is considred magic , to the point of iving longer and even unable to die by age because they have too much of the mystic energy wich just fixes the body , as almost everythng very slowly decays . There is on the earth metod of determine the age of the maheril by how much of that thing is to have rouht idea , I think it was Carbon 14 to determine the approximate age .

When the magic is taken out the result culd end up as the victims which were drained by Treck , or when changeling ACTIVELY DRAINED Their victims , food , you know what I mean .

If it is passive way the changelings are not actually harming the people it just uses the substance which is just there in form of emotion energy .

There is undertale and their soul magic based of the most prominent trait in their soul being positive traits , courage , patience , justice , kindness , determination , integrity , perserverence

There are negative traits by some unfourtunate events

Like Hate , or Fear and others

As what is a emotion it could be , provably

ther s the monster creatures maybe are mosty composed of the thing caled magic to be their form , but being exposed tosome less magic saturated thing like the food from their earth they got sturdier bodies

or is relative

Thee was infuse magic with so much intent that it gets real somrtimes geseasier in more magical looking language than the general one . Sometimes is to think it and not say it .

sometimes is to circulate it

Somtimes to learn how to get it from the ambient envirement sand use it n raw form , which if it isfor haling it may be too saturated exept for beings wih hiher magic tolerance .

Sometimes fo a peson suddenly infused with huge amount of magic when was no magic befoure it could end up as like gettting water poisoning or compresion from the deeps with characteristics of poisoning . Bu if the person survive it should not be able to get the same condition , and sometimes tht agressive exposuremay end up as not very good for using magic .

n anoughter note Thnking for Scotaloo

Sometimes provably is some obstruction that acts as resistor or basicly something hampering the magic from naturally flow there , like... what you could compare to .... inhibitor rings making it harder the maic from flowing naturally . of course f the part that is less magic conductie is removed that problem may be solved , as I had seen in fiction world when she had the operation and here wings got much stronger in magic

The magic vesels over the blood system was mentioned lot and the channels there and the mgic bigger clumpsto allowexess of magic andeasier magicuse .

there is thouhght anddesire in various forms and ways , And I remembered just that basic information . have to recheck .

But I could give this much , for now .
]
=
Cultivators gather and refine the magic to streghten themselvesandwhat they understand
=
=
Magic as proram full of settings and conditions if that is that

9301203
Provably Lead is Magic resisant

my dream to have self adjusting ithem and to reach and shape at any time, it could, if user want.

example :

With Softness Turned hard to a super blade , but it could turn to soft exaggeration liquid or slime

imitate the teleporting edge of ben ten axe of the mercenary woodman or something,teleported the arm to remove the bad part by teleport and heal it when is separately not causing pain

theory inheritance

Bury in deep Abysis is enough for Abyss
DOES NOT HAVE SELF CONFIDENCE
NOT REVEAL TO THE WORLD
Abysis Arts fit

https://manhwaclan.com/manga/i-have-an-sss-rank-trait-but-i-want-a-normal-life/chapter-23/

body structure Weakneses. If you can do this you would be equal as I do the same

in the crossing point or breaking point are possible frictions and with enough frictions and accumulation and accumulation with out resolve are possible break ups and feeling Betrayed, to feeling broken prefering toforget and god knows what individual.

Even the programmed Loyalty when HOPE WAS CRUSHED EVEN INDIVIDUALS LIKE RUSTY ROSE (From Sonic Prime Universe (Shatterspace)
TURNED AGAINST THOSE WHO BETRAYED

OR IN DISSONANCE OF THE END GOAL WHEN Was MADE ENOUGH MISTAKES ,
Like when Nine felt as substitution for Tails for Sonic Prime and quote the achievements they had as a Team, MAYBE COULD HAVE DIFFERENT RESOLVE , Instead Nine wanting to start anew without the risk of being ...
(Let's compare to something similar
Starlight Glimmer did , or Sunset shimmer)

want to see how a rock could Substitude
Dripping ooze from the strikes?

Overdose with energy could make it explode

make the thing to be able to explode at any time

There is the thing which is Condition
basicly is defined as it is

as it is Something somewhere with normal properties and the condition .... to be that and extra
to happen something and to choose variation which it would happen that way from the randomiser of possibilities

And the condition it is not , it will not happen this way. In the event that is denied

And Condition where it is
and where it's not

Befoure now and Now is something to peek of the What ifs and Directly choose to influence the WHAT IF YOU WANT TO HAPPEN RELATIVELY

and that may happen strange events ,all the way to the Pinkie Pie's abilities, and between cartoon logic and Chaos

MY IMITAION IS JUST CHOOSING TO MANIFEST IT ON THE FLY IN ACTION , In Chosen place and direction

Focusing on point or point where and there TO DELIVER ALL OF THE INSTRUCTED THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE Ordered AND CHANGE THE ORDER AT ANY TIME .

it has something interesting... well it is usage of black magic for not evil way but mundane use

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/439232/the-unique-properties-of-dark-magic

www.fimfiction.net
The Unique Properties of Dark Magic

Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

There was NOTHING , Until were the structures of positive and Negative

which split in SO MUCH WHAT IFS AND UNIVERSE LAWS AS EXAMPLE OF HOW YOU STRUCTURE A PAPER

Eon's secret according to when Danny phantom met Eon as main villain

AND THOSE WHO COULD SET IT AS THEY LIKE.

EVERYTHING IS SETTINGS AND WHAT IF LIKE PAINTING AND COMPUTER PROGRAM

GOLEMS AND UNDEAD and Robots FOR MOST PART ARE THE SAME/Similiar in function.

Construct which needs something to keep it connected to the limbs , functioning and inteligence to move .

The Fuel could differ as magic Substitude most of muscle ligament and bone structure With Magic

and if it has awarness as a soul , is it programmable , or was under directive and any change and own opinion could be sign of awareness

Exetification maybe partly is infuse some of the energy to animate the body and get the still lingering soul back under directives And controls , to extend. Sometimes.

(Between combat use )

For the drench in Poison extra liquid layer

like hollow point and as many hollow points as points as possible
, maybe make it pourous the projectile to damage by releasing it from the touch by itself and inner content as well

when is inside is bad because it's poisonous, plus harder to heal

and if it's removed not gently to explode and think to make harmful stuff in the Explosion

.
.

kind of Possible less harmful

or think magic of one type doing something plus extra similiar assisting to the magic

or add layer for something new extra to be added
.
or think magic of one type doing something plus extra similiar assisting to the magic

or add layer for something new extra to be added

Login or register to comment