• Published 23rd Oct 2018
  • 4,641 Views, 242 Comments

The Maretian: Equus Tales - Prismfire Productions



This is a sequel to Kris Overstreet's "The Maretian". Mark Watney, now free at last from Mars, is having to stay on Equus while he recovers from Martian gravity. What new adventures await until he can return home, and what new feelings will emerge.

  • ...
21
 242
 4,641

A Letter to a Princess

Author's Note:

I started this chapter last weekend before the riots broke out across America, so this has nothing to do with them. I had the whole fight and aftermath written, but out of respect to the peaceful protestors (and not the idiots who want everything to burn), I deleted it all and kept this short and sweet.

To all my US readers,

Please stay safe and may God Bless you all

Dear Princess Celestia,

A lot has happened over the last decade, hasn't it? I nearly conquered your soft, plush, cakey rump and then Cherry Berry dropped in on my hive like a runaway apple cart and literally launched us to the heavens. All the issues I had while the space race started with distrust towards me from even those closest to you was a challenging task that I believe I weatherd well. From secret spy runs, to your sister spending time here trying to "uncover my plot" (which you are the only one besides Shining Armor and Cadance to have accomplished~), not once did I detain any of your subjects for my own needs. However, I did notice one thing as I sit here in my soft, velvety throne chair in reflection:

Even from the very beginning, you were the only one to defend me and give me a chance Celly...

I know that I am not good with the mushy feeling stuff ponies are, you know that from experience, but I mean it when I say thank you. Does it has anything to do with our previous relationship? I don't know, but I still am thankful that you didn't go Daybreaker on me like the time I accidently broke your mom's va-

HORSEAPPLES! I still got to repay and replace that... Buck...

Whoops, sorry about that, but still you gave me a chance to prove myself to your ponies that I was only trying to have good intentions by being the first to land on another object in Luna's sky (and rub it in her face to boot).

Did I meet your expectations?...
Did I pass your test?...

You always wanted nothing but the best for me, and I am no fool, you purposely let me conquer you at Shiny and Cady's wedding. I may have been overpowered on love like when Sparkle went over 9000 magiunits on Tirek, but you still could have called down the power of your glowing sun to end me. Yes, it would have made Canterlot a wasteland and kill everypony in range, but as a ruler we both know we have to sacrifice them all if there is ever the need. The cost of the crown is heavy on us both, and there are a few times where it does get overwhelming and I am certain you can relate.

Speaking of relate... I- well, Dragonfly said something and it has leeched itself in my mind; in the process, it got me thinking about how our relationship used to be. Those memories resurfacing have been in confliction with everything I have made myself believe in since the fateful day I betrayed you and everypony else.

Do you remember that fateful day Celly? The argument that set forth our paths? Cause I remember it vividly. The smells of the blooming orchid, sunflower, and lavender plants. The sound of carpenter's working on the new stained glass hallway, the bluebirds chirping and your sun shining down on us as we rested in the garden going over suggestions on how we would be handling unrest from Yakyakistanian War.

We both know how that situation turned out, so I am not going to bother with the details...

Anyway, I am not expecting an answer anytime soon, nor do I expect things to go back to the way they were at a fast rate, but still I am just curious if you would consider it.

With warm regards,
Chrissy