• Published 23rd Oct 2018
  • 5,726 Views, 107 Comments

Displaced: The Metal Armed Vigilante - WhalenJP



So, I got transported to another dimension. One that I am VERY familiar of. But hey, at least I got four metal sentient arms attached to my spine to keep me company...

  • ...
25
 107
 5,726

Chapter 8: The Science Behind Intelligence…

Chapter 7: The Science Behind Intelligence…

Twilight Sparkle found herself in a bit of a predicament. One that she has been in ever since the camping trip to Everfree.

When they all got back to the school, Twilight took it upon herself to find out the mystery behind Mr. Whalen’s metal arms, or actuators that he calls them.

She was intrigued at the way they worked with a fluid grace as they fought Gaea Everfree, she knew they were responding to mental commands from Jon, but she noticed that the arms themselves have individual personality that differentiates between them.

Due to her observations in the science class where the Professor is openly showing the actuators and using them to help around the class, she can figure out which personality belonged to which arm. There was one on the bottom right that is shy and quiet, but not afraid to help its master with a readiness that Twilight never saw before.

There was the top left one that is cuddly to Professor Whalen, always hanging around his left shoulder and speaking to him mentally and in quiet shrieks, indicating conversation and suggestions on what to do with problems and give Mr. Whalen ideas for long term projects.

There was the one on the opposite shoulder which helps with a fierce passion, no matter how hard the problem it can figure out the equation to the solution and help show it’s answer, kinda reminiscent of herself, very studious and happy to help with hard equations that students or Jon couldn’t figure out.

Then there was the one on the bottom left, it was very… quiet, almost autistic and smart at the same time. Also ready to help when noticed and helps in a gentle manner that shows that it’s kind to others.

Twilight noticed that Mr. Whalen was highly autistic, but when he gets talking, it makes people kinda wonder whether he has Autism or not, or the actuators help him speak his mind without stuttering or taking awhile to speak.

After class, Twilight made her way to the teacher’s desk and asked,

“ How are you, Mr. Whalen? How are the... Actuators, are they called?”

Jon lifted his head up from his grading paper mode, and smiled tiredly, Twilight noticed the faint bags under Mr. Whalen’s eyes and was concerned that the man wasn’t getting enough sleep due to what happened recently.

Jon replied, “ I am fine, Ms. Sparkle, it’s just been a rough couple of days without getting time to rest. Grading papers can be a pain sometimes.”

Twilight nodded her head, remembering how she became a teacher’s pet at Crystal Prep and always made ahead in her classes.

Twilight asked, a little hesitant at the gleam in the man’s bright blue eyes tinged with tiredness, wondering whether or not she should leave so Mr. Whalen could get some well necessary rest.

" I was wondering on how your actuators work. Do they respond to your will? Do they have separate minds or are they one? Do they-”

She was interrupted by the bottom left actuator coming up to her face, studying her quietly with the red eye glowing, scanning her body with its sensor.

Mr. Whalen raised an eyebrow at the actuator, amused, and replied, “ Well, Ms. Sparkle… They do have female personalities that are mixed in with my own. They are loyal, friendly and ready to help, quiet and shy, studious and smart, the list goes on how much they are made AI wise.”

Twilight flinched slightly at the feeling of cold metal rubbing against her sheek, watching as the actuator that was studying her a few moments ago nuzzled her cheek with a gentle affection.

Jon snorted, smiling as he said, “ Junior here seems to like you. She said it reminds her of herself, and her siblings as well.”

He then got up from his chair, using the top two actuators to lift himself over the desk and sat himself down on the ground in front of his student.

The Professor then turned around and pointed at the back of his neck, Twilight noticed a blue light glowing attached to a metal spine that seemed to be connected to Mr. Whalen.

“ As you can see, I have an inhibitor chip that separates my mind from these four beautiful arms. I can communicate with them and request things to be done without fear of being turned against, and I can control them, instead of them controlling me.”

Twilight studied the actuator that was still nuzzling her closely, watching as its sinuous body moved through the air with a fluid grace that she’s only seen in snakes slithering around on the ground. The red eye and pincer-like head was wrapped around Twilight’s shoulders, resting its head and watching her reaction.

Twilight reached a hand out tentatively, knowing that Jon and the rest of the actuators were watching her carefully, knowing that this is a moment of trust for her to do the right thing.

When she set a hand gently against the cool yet warm metal, she felt awed at how something so mechanical can become so alive. She could practically feel the actuator purring on her shoulder as she stroked the metal coils that consisted of strong metallic material.

Jon looked on the scene with a smile, as the rest of the actuators slithered over to Twilight, analysing what the usually quiet actuator is experiencing to practically make it purr and hum loudly.

This… He thought.

This is what it’s like to have a family...

After a few hours talking between themselves about the advanced mechanics of Jon’s actuators, Twilight left the school and walked home with a smile on her face as she reminisced of the actuators becoming friendly and not a threat to the school or anyone for that matter.

They have a good father that is raising them after all, She thought as she made her way back home through the city of Canterlot.

Author's Note:

Hooray! Chapter Seven Is Out! One More Chapter to finally to Complete This Story! It only took me an hour to make, but I did my best.

Hope You All Enjoyed! I'll See You In The Final Chapter, TOODLES!!!